Royal Caribbean Horrible Customer Service... leaves family stranded

We did the Anthem TA last month and on the Friday before departure, they sent an email stating that UK NHS self testing kits were acceptable to be used as proof on being negative pre boarding. They then issued a correction email a few hours later so sometimes they do get it wrong.

However, in this instance of the OP, the policy was quite clear and stated many times by RCI in emails and on their website. Ask yourself too, how many other people were denied boarding because of similar circumstances or was the OP the only group denied? If they were it tells you that others read and understood the policy and were prepared properly.

As for the matter of being told over the phone 3 times, I am afraid that unless OP recorded these calls, it would be very hard to prove anything that was stated in any conversation (unless you had access to the calls from the RCI side since they record them).

Edited by Digjharper

36 minutes ago, topnole said:

So as of right now, vaccination is required for kids 5 and older on a TA leaving Europe.  That it says clearly.  But it only says leaving Europe if I’m reading it correctly.  What about if your 6 and leaving on a TA from the US to Europe.  From the website it looks like no vaccine is required?   Anyone have any idea or have direct knowledge from experience of doing a TA with, say, a 6-11 year old?  

Are you just curious?  Or are you booked/seriously considering booking with an unvaccinated child in spring 2023?  If the later, you probably should start a new thread.  That would likely gain better input for you and be more accessible for anybody searching the internet for such info.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Are you just curious?  Or are you booked/seriously considering booking with an unvaccinated child in spring 2023?  If the later, you probably should start a new thread.  That would likely gain better input for you and be more accessible for anybody searching the internet for such info.  

Both.  Well.  There seemed to be a lot of people on this thread who said the rules were clear and it was the OPs fault.  So I thought they might easily clear up my confusion.  Trying to call Royal can take forever so I thought this might be a fast answer.  Apparently no one knows. 

3 minutes ago, topnole said:

Both.  Well.  There seemed to be a lot of people on this thread who said the rules were clear and it was the OPs fault.  So I thought they might easily clear up my confusion.  Trying to call Royal can take forever so I thought this might be a fast answer.  Apparently no one knows. 

At this point no one knows what the protocols will be next month....much less in spring 2023. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, topnole said:

My advice remains to start a new thread.

I’d say that ocean crossings (long sailings with multiple sea days far from land based medical care) are perhaps among the most likely sailings to be designated for special requirements such as vaccinations and/or testing.  I suspect they want to drop the requirements even for ocean crossings by spring 2023. Still I must admit I can imagine such requirements could resurface were there another spike in cases or an especially virulent variant, much as we all hope that does not happen.  So, if there are people in my party who are unwilling to be vaccinated/boosted/tested or whatever is required, I might wait to book or book everything (cruise, airfare, hotels, etc) in a refundable fashion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

At this point no one knows what the protocols will be next month....much less in spring 2023. 

I’m not asking what they will be.  I’m asking what they are now.  Does anyone know the protocols today for a TA leaving from the US?   

34 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

My advice remains to start a new thread.

I’d say that ocean crossings (long sailings with multiple sea days far from land based medical care) are perhaps among the most likely sailings to be designated for special requirements such as vaccinations and/or testing.  I suspect they want to drop the requirements even for ocean crossings by spring 2023. Still I must admit I can imagine such requirements could resurface were there another spike in cases or an especially virulent variant, much as we all hope that does not happen.  So, if there are people in my party who are unwilling to be vaccinated/boosted/tested or whatever is required, I might wait to book or book everything (cruise, airfare, hotels, etc) in a refundable fashion.  

Not sure I want to create a new thread.  The answers will be to not trust info on here and to call Royal.  Or they will say we don’t know what it will be in the future as is happening to my question on this thread (even though I’m asking about current policy, not future policy).   I doubt I’ll get any better answers.  Maybe I’ll try a new thread if I don’t get a better on here in the next few days. 

11 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’m not asking what they will be.  I’m asking what they are now.  Does anyone know the protocols today for a TA leaving from the US?   

There are no TA's leaving from the US until next spring (at least that I am aware of), so no current protocols available to answer your question.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, topnole said:

Not sure I want to create a new thread.  The answers will be to not trust info on here and to call Royal.  Or they will say we don’t know what it will be in the future as is happening to my question on this thread (even though I’m asking about current policy, not future policy).   I doubt I’ll get any better answers.  Maybe I’ll try a new thread if I don’t get a better on here in the next few days. 

It really doesn't matter what the current protocols are now for ANY cruise.  They are subject to change at ANY time.

31 minutes ago, topnole said:

The current protocols are on the RCI website.   Click the link right at the top of the page.  

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

It really doesn't matter what the current protocols are now for ANY cruise.  They are subject to change at ANY time.

That makes sense.  But the response

to the OPs post by most on here was basically roasting him for not knowing protocols.  If the logic is they could change at anytime why is everyone being so hard on him?   I guess that is just CC in a nut shell.  

And per your point, what if they changed 10 days before a sailing?  What happens to those that don’t meet the new protocol?   It sounds like the logic on here is don’t book if you can’t meet the protocol, but if they can change at anytime as you say, how

does anyone know they will meet them in the future.  

I’m simply trying to determine current protocols.   If they are taking reservations, surely they must have established protocols to sail (at least as it stands now).  Are you suggesting Royal is taking bookings with no stated vaccine protocols?  That would seem odd.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

There are no current protocols for a TA leaving from the US as there are no TA cruises from  the US until spring '23.  

So what.  Surely they must have current protocols for the spring voyages.  Are you saying they are filling the TA ships up with no stated Covid protocols in place.  I find that hard to believe.  

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

The current protocols are on the RCI website.   Click the link right at the top of the page.  

I did.  It says TAs from Europe require vaccines for over 5 and updated boosters (definitions provided in the link).  But is says nothing regarding TAs out of the US which is odd.  I guess that implies no vaccine required.  So you go to Europe unvaccinated.  They just don’t let you leave.  That is some interesting logic.  

3 minutes ago, topnole said:

I did.  It says TAs from Europe require vaccines for over 5 and updated boosters (definitions provided in the link).  But is says nothing regarding TAs out of the US which is odd.  I guess that implies no vaccine required.  So you go to Europe unvaccinated.  They just don’t let you leave.  That is some interesting logic.  

I too would have expected to see an exception for TAs leaving from US ports.   On our last two cruises (Oct & Nov) the rules changed between the date we booked and the date we boarded the ship.  We received notice, but still checked the website every once in a while for any updates.  

12 minutes ago, topnole said:

So what.  Surely they must have current protocols for the spring voyages.  Are you saying they are filling the TA ships up with no stated Covid protocols in place.  I find that hard to believe.  

If you have no cruises booked for the near future, you probably haven’t been checking protocols. Royal has been pretty much updating for the upcoming month ONLY, because of constant changes. Since TA’s for the Spring are a few months away, those protocols won’t be updated, at the earliest, until Feb or March 2023. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

If you have no cruises booked for the near future, you probably haven’t been checking protocols. Royal has been pretty much updating for the upcoming month ONLY, because of constant changes. Since TA’s for the Spring are a few months away, those protocols won’t be updated, at the earliest, until Feb or March 2023. 

I am cruising soon and have been paying some or a lot attention depending.   The updates on any trip don’t say only good for the next month or any set period of time. Just that this is the current protocol based on the current situation.  They have current protocols in place for every cruise you can book (no matter how far out).  They just aren’t very clear which is a big shocker for Royal.  😂😂.  

Of course subject to change isn’t up for debate.  But they certainly have current protocols for going on a US departing TA in the spring just like they have current protocols for any Caribbean trip leaving  in spring (also subject to change).  Just because we aren’t in spring yet doesn’t mean there isn’t currently stated requirements for going on that voyage.  Changes could happen to any cruise no matter the departure port.  

Edited by topnole

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I too would have expected to see an exception for TAs leaving from US ports.   On our last two cruises (Oct & Nov) the rules changed between the date we booked and the date we boarded the ship.  We received notice, but still checked the website every once in a while for any updates.  

The page states the requirements and then the exceptions like for Australia and including the TAs departing from Europe.  So that implies US departing TAs do not require the same vaccine status.  For example, you must be boosted after full vaccination at any prior time (or vaccinated within the past 270s as

I recall).  But that requirement doesn’t seem to apply to TAs leaving out of the US.  

You’d think they might just spell it out that US departing TAs do not fall under that requirement (assuming that is indeed true).  My guess is things will losses more than tighten (as has been the strong trend around the globe, but either way Royal should just be explicit on the current protocols vs having one determine it by process of elimination.  

44 minutes ago, topnole said:

to the OPs post by most on here was basically roasting him for not knowing protocols.  If the logic is they could change at anytime why is everyone being so hard on him?   I guess that is just CC in a nut shell.  

And per your point, what if they changed 10 days before a sailing? 

The OP came after a cruise and highlighted the incorrect part of the website.  Even though transatlantic sailings are specifically covered on the website, the OP posted a different section.  That was bound to cause some criticism as it implies either the entire section was not read or it was read but the OP posted the wrong section to blow smoke.  Also those of us who have gotten emails about the requirements might wonder if the OP is also failing to acknowledge those.

Had the policy had been changed 10 days prior to sailing to require vaccination, I suspect the OP would have gotten a very different response from CC, especially if they came to CC for advice soon after the policy change was announced.  

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Where have you been for the past 2 1/2 years?  Protocols/testing/vaccination requirements have changed at the speed of light and it really didn't make any difference what they were when someone booked - the cruise lines have the right to change them at any time.

Let's all hope nothing goes backwards, but never say never.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, topnole said:

The page states the requirements and then the exceptions like for Australia and including the TAs departing from Europe.  So that implies US departing TAs do not require the same vaccine status.  For example, you must be boosted after full vaccination at any prior time (or vaccinated within the past 270s as

I recall).  But that requirement doesn’t seem to apply to TAs leaving out of the US.  

You’d think they might just spell it out that US departing TAs do not fall under that requirement (assuming that is indeed true).  My guess is things will losses more than tighten (as has been the strong trend around the globe, but either way Royal should just be explicit on the current protocols vs having one determine it by process of elimination.  

I agree the omission is off-putting.   And I sure hope the requirements continue to loosen to the point they are gone completely.  

If concerned, at the bottom of the protocol Q&A page is a link to send an email with questions.   If I had an US TA booked, that is what I would do.   

I mean, to me it is pretty clear.  Saying nothing about TAs out of the U.S. would indicate they aren't required, since it specifically states what IS required.  I'm sure they could not allow you to leave, based on the requirements, but again, that is the traveler's responsibility to be informed and act accordingly.

11 minutes ago, mek said:

Where have you been for the past 2 1/2 years?  Protocols/testing/vaccination requirements have changed at the speed of light and it really didn't make any difference what they were when someone booked - the cruise lines have the right to change them at any time.

Let's all hope nothing goes backwards, but never say never.

Actually they haven’t really changed at the speed of light.  In fact far from it.  

And to your main point, why even have protocols that aren’t time specific (ie. It doesn’t make any difference what they are when you book the trip).  I think we both know that answer, but it seems some like to tell people it doesn’t matter what they are because they can change at any time.  I disagree with that notion and it is obvious Royal does too or

they wouldn’t state their protocols as indefinite.  They would lose a lot of potential bookings if they don’t have some clarity in what people can expect (assuming external factors don’t necessitate change as is the case with any type of trip).  

And per your point, what if they changed 10 days before a sailing?  What happens to those that don’t meet the new protocol?   It sounds like the logic on here is don’t book if you can’t meet the protocol, but if they can change at anytime as you say, how

I’m simply trying to determine current protocols.   If they are taking reservations, surely they must have established protocols to sail (at least as it stands now).  Are you suggesting Royal is taking bookings with no stated vaccine protocols?  That would seem odd.  

We sailed last month out of Greece on a different line.  Greece changed their protocols less than 2 weeks before our cruise.

When the OP checked in for their cruise they had to check a box and acknowledge the protocols.

This is on the OP