Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review with Lots of Photos and Menus

MVPinBoynton

I have just posted a review to my website with lots of photos of a recently completed western Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Statendam that visited Half Moon Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Bimini.   I also have the menus from the restaurants, spa and lounges.

We had a great time on an awesome ship.  Below are a couple photos of the Dolphin House Museum in Bimini.  It was built by one man who began construction in 1993 using only recycled, salvaged or donated materials.  It is quite an amazing place inside and out.

image.png.4d30c0042e8803dccf96245d6602cdc2.png  image.png.ef3c30ccf921aaf4fa173778cd0a31cb.png

The review is located on my website, which is linked to in my signature.  You can also just Google “Mike and Carol’s Cruise Reviews” to find a link to it.  I hope it is helpful for those of you that are planning to cruise on the Nieuw Statendam; or that it brings back some fond memories to those of you who have already cruised on her.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, shipfriend_max said:

Great @MVPinBoynton

keen to read your review as I am booked on the ROTTERDM in June 2023!

Did Billboard still serve snacks or fingerfood from the small buffet, and did you get served some figerfood as sailaway snacks? 🙂 

I wasn’t in Billboard a lot, but never saw snacks. Definitely no sailaway snacks. 

• Like 2

Thanks so much, that was a great review. I'm really looking forward to our cruise on the Nieuw Statendam in May, it is a very pretty ship!

Now I'm going to spend some time enjoying some of your previous reviews!

6 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Thanks so much, that was a great review. I'm really looking forward to our cruise on the Nieuw Statendam in May, it is a very pretty ship!

Now I'm going to spend some time enjoying some of your previous reviews!

I’m so glad you enjoyed the review. The ship is great.  I hope my other reviews help in your future cruise planning.  I prefer doing reviews with more exciting ports I haven’t been to, but this cruise was for the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shipfriend_max said:

Great @MVPinBoynton

keen to read your review as I am booked on the ROTTERDM in June 2023!

Did Billboard still serve snacks or fingerfood from the small buffet, and did you get served some figerfood as sailaway snacks? 🙂 

Rotterdam had snacks in Billboard, although it's over near the far wall, so if you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't know it was there. 

• Thanks 1

Great review of the Nieuw Statendam! We have cruised on her three times and have loved them all. One thing I would like to point out is the pricing you show for the Retreat Cabanas. You only show pricing for the family cabanas, of which there are only two available. For a seven day cruise, a regular cabana could be rented for $399. 

We have loved the Retreat Cabanas since we first had one on the Eurodam in 2009. I am a full-time wheelchair user so we typically don’t do excursions due to accessibility. We spend our money on the Retreat.  It’s nice knowing we always have a lounger, in both the shade or sun. The cabana attendants take great care of us. Unfortunately HAL has caught on to how popular the Retreat Cabanas are and on the Pinnacle Class ships made them smaller so they could fit more of them in the area. They are still delightful, regardless of the size. 

Thank you for the wonderful review!

19 minutes ago, 510picker said:

Great review of the Nieuw Statendam! We have cruised on her three times and have loved them all. One thing I would like to point out is the pricing you show for the Retreat Cabanas. You only show pricing for the family cabanas, of which there are only two available. For a seven day cruise, a regular cabana could be rented for $399. 

We have loved the Retreat Cabanas since we first had one on the Eurodam in 2009. I am a full-time wheelchair user so we typically don’t do excursions due to accessibility. We spend our money on the Retreat.  It’s nice knowing we always have a lounger, in both the shade or sun. The cabana attendants take great care of us. Unfortunately HAL has caught on to how popular the Retreat Cabanas are and on the Pinnacle Class ships made them smaller so they could fit more of them in the area. They are still delightful, regardless of the size. 

Thank you for the wonderful review!

Thank you for pointing that out. The only pricing they gave me was what was included.  The less expensive Lido cabanas were only on the NA and Eurodam.  I am glad to know that there are more reasonable options on the NS.  I wish they had given me the price list.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Thank you for pointing that out. The only pricing they gave me was what was included.  The less expensive Lido cabanas were only on the NA and Eurodam.  I am glad to know that there are more reasonable options on the NS.  I wish they had given me the price list.

The link below is to older information, but the pricing shown is still current. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/HAL-Cabanas.pdf

Edited by 510picker

12 hours ago, REOVA said:

Rotterdam had snacks in Billboard, although it's over near the far wall, so if you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't know it was there. 

Perfect, that’s what I wanted to know and good to know that they’re offered at the small buffet I also saw on video shiptours. ☺️

9 hours ago, 510picker said:

The link below is to older information, but the pricing shown is still current. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/HAL-Cabanas.pdf

That is the same sheet I have. Since the Lido ones weren’t listed as NS, I assumed they didn’t have them. I can easily correct. Thanks so much. 

1 hour ago, MVPinBoynton said:

That is the same sheet I have. Since the Lido ones weren’t listed as NS, I assumed they didn’t have them. I can easily correct. Thanks so much. 

I apologize for the confusion. The NS does not have Lido Cabanas. The only thing I was pointing out is that there are two types of Retreat Cabanas, two family cabanas and the others are regular cabanas. Your review only listed pricing for the family cabanas.

Thank you so much for your review; you obviously put a lot of caring energy into your report, and it is so appreciated! We'll be going in several weeks, and are looking forward to being back on our favorite cruise line. All the best, and happy holidays to you:classic_smile:.

Great review. We just did Neptune Suite on Rotterdam so "revisiting" was nice (except they put the library back on the Rotterdam in place of one of the rooms near World Stage. We do agree that the venues in the music walk are very close together and when the band overlaps, you do get multiple songs going, which wasn't enjoyable trying to listen to BB King band in one ear and hearing Rolling Stone Rock band in the other 😆. We were also tracking TS/Hurricane Nicole and the weather Channel was put on one of the "special" channels, either of channel 100 or 200. The captain also did a couple of nice video presentations of where the storm was, where our route changed and why and what effect the location and winds would have. This was put in the ship information channel. Glad you enjoyed the ship. 

On 11/20/2022 at 2:24 PM, MVPinBoynton said:

I hope it is helpful for those of you that are planning to cruise on the Nieuw Statendam

Great detailed review and yes I find it very helpful. My wife and I will be sailing NS for our first HA cruise on 12/10. 
OP our cruise is a 7 day Southern Caribbean on NS. Can you tell me what the gentlemen were wearing on formal nights on your cruise? I would assume it will be much of the same for ours.