No More Mixed Shots!

id10t

Sorry about that.  It was listed on a 2022 site.  This is from NCL’s site.

4 minutes ago, tsahall01 said:

Here is an updated one from 2022--surprised that it still has Capt Morgans on it!

Unlimited-Open-Bar-0922.pdf 912.66 kB · 6 downloads

Thanks.  Sorry about the other one.  It was listed on a 3rd party site that had allegedly had 2022 drink lists.

11 minutes ago, tsahall01 said:

Here is an updated one from 2022--surprised that it still has Capt Morgans on it!

Unlimited-Open-Bar-0922.pdf 912.66 kB · 8 downloads

This graphic references "Package includes 6-One-liter Flow Water."  I found out last week that the Flow waters are only included for cruises that depart January 1, 2023 or later.  I know that it is almost the end of the year, but thought it was worth sharing.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Juncti said:

Having just done a Carnival cruise a few months back for the first time in a while, even though they have the hard cap of 15 drinks per day, it felt like a better overall deal considering it also included all the extras and nothing was really off limits for any practical purpose. I'm sure there's a few super premiums that aren't included but I never found any.

Yes, I find the Carnival Cheers package to be a better deal. On a chilly morning my wife likes chai tea with a little bit of vodka. I enjoy alcoholic coffees in the evening as well as espresso throughout the day. Now, I can't do that. Sure, I could buy a coffee from Starbucks, get a shot from the bar and combine the two, but on CCL it's a one stop shop and included in Cheers.

As I said above, we enjoy NCL and appreciate the "Local" and "O'Sheehans" for late night snacks and dining. CCL fails miserably in that regard. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Can confirm that Fireball cinnamon was nowhere to be found on our 11-13 to 11-20 Bliss cruise.  Was repeatedly advised throughout cruise to check back next day they may have some by then.

Fireball was on Encore 11/13/22 sailing, though I think they had to search for it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it too joins Captain Morgan in the land of the missing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

As for this new 'rule', challenge accepted. I plan to find ways to work around the limits or use it as an opportunity to try different things which are allowed.

You shouldn't have to find "hacks", workarounds and do-it-yourself options when paying thousands of dollars for a cruise.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

What?  Drink package is $20/day or thereabouts?  

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Just did a quick search and turned up this menu on their $20/day service charge drink menus. 

Sigh.  It's not $20 per day.  Everyone knows the cost of the drink package is baked into NCLs generally higher than the competition's fares.  And please spare me your examples where you've found NCL fares lower than everyone else, I wrote "generally" above because everyone knows there are no absolutes in these discussions.

But even if it really was $20, its still OK to complain about the package being reduced whether its by incresing the charge for certain drinks (e.g. Baily's), removing popular drinks (Captain) or eliminating categories of drinks (mixed shots).  It's all part of NCL's nickle & diming from both sides of the ledger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Sigh.  It's not $20 per day.  Everyone knows the cost of the drink package is baked into NCLs generally higher than the competition's fares.  And please spare me your examples where you've found NCL fares lower than everyone else, I wrote "generally" above because everyone knows there are no absolutes in these discussions.

But even if it really was $20, its still OK to complain about the package being reduced whether its by incresing the charge for certain drinks (e.g. Baily's), removing popular drinks (Captain) or eliminating categories of drinks (mixed shots).  It's all part of NCL's nickle & diming from both sides of the ledger.

I always take the perks.  So, for me, it's $20 service charge/day.  The last year to year and a half, I've found NCL's fares with "FREE AT SEA" to be very good.  I think I came in at under $600 for a 7-day Breakaway cruise last month with FAS....Cheapest I've ever had.

Priced out the repo cruise on the Breakaway that just returned.  With FAS, it was a heckuva deal ($1,400 for a 2 week cruise in a Balcony as a solo).  Recent Fares have been great.  Perks (like drinks with FAS, Specialty dinners, internet minutes, etc) included work great for me.

Their drink menu with FAS is way more comprehensive than I would ever need.

But, I don't drink Capt Morgan (I think they have Gosling Rum?  Used that in my Dark and Stormy).  They have my favorite Bourbon on board (Buffalo Trace, which I can't even get at home) included.  When I drink Gin, it's Tangurey, which they also include. Beer selection is pretty broad.  So, I can find whatever I want.

The "foo-foo" drinks and shots are not something I would miss if they did away with them.

I understand those who can't find something they want from the drink menu.  I have no problem finding what I want, though.

I haven't priced out any NCL sailings since I returned.  So, maybe fares with FAS  have risen.  Don't know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I always take the perks.  So, for me, it's $20 service charge/day.  The last year to year and a half, I've found NCL's fares with "FREE AT SEA" to be very good.  I think I came in at under $600 for a 7-day Breakaway cruise last month with FAS....Cheapest I've ever had.

Priced out the repo cruise on the Breakaway that just returned.  With FAS, it was a heckuva deal ($1,400 for a 2 week cruise in a Balcony as a solo).  Recent Fares have been great.  Perks (like drinks with FAS, Specialty dinners, internet minutes, etc) included work great for me.

Their drink menu with FAS is way more comprehensive than I would ever need.

But, I don't drink Capt Morgan (I think they have Gosling Rum?  Used that in my Dark and Stormy).  They have my favorite Bourbon on board (Buffalo Trace, which I can't even get at home) included.  When I drink Gin, it's Tangurey, which they also include. Beer selection is pretty broad.  So, I can find whatever I want.

The "foo-foo" drinks and shots are not something I would miss if they did away with them.

I understand those who can't find something they want from the drink menu.  I have no problem finding what I want, though.

I haven't priced out any NCL sailings since I returned.  So, maybe fares with FAS  have risen.  Don't know.

Thanks for your take on this. Every ship delivers value in a different way. You seem to have found some great value! Well done and thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Another drink I was unable to get that had always been available before was a vodka stinger.  It's basically your favorite vodka with a shot of peppermint schnapps.   They were out of peppermint schnapps all week.  Our friends we were travelling with like 1942 don julio tequila shots.  They were out of the 1942 don julio all week as well.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PEBBarney said:

Boarding the Escape on Saturday, already knew about no Captain, now no layered shots or Fireball, wife is not happy.  

Sick of all the games these cruise lines play, not just NCL, all of them.  

It will be interesting to hear how your cruise goes.

10 hours ago, PATRLR said:

It's all part of NCL's nickle & diming from both sides of the ledger.

That's what to me is so weird about this. It doesn't feel like the shot elimination is a nickle and dime situation, as even if you upgrade to Plus tier drink package you still don't get these options. 

Not that it would be great if they gated it into the Plus category, but at least then it would feel more in line with expected behaviors. Pretty sure I saw someone mention even Haven you're not allowed to have them and that's the highest paying customers on the ship

2 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

Another drink I was unable to get that had always been available before was a vodka stinger.  It's basically your favorite vodka with a shot of peppermint schnapps.   They were out of peppermint schnapps all week.  Our friends we were travelling with like 1942 don julio tequila shots.  They were out of the 1942 don julio all week as well.   

This is part of what I'm worried about on my upcoming cruise. The lack of availability. We're probably upgrading to plus, but it's really going to suck if every plus drink is just not stocked. Like we'll sell you this plus package with the promise of this list of options, then when you get there and ask for things off the list they can just be like sorry, don't have it. Feels bait and switchy. 

If you're going to sell a premium experience upgrade, then they need to stock the premium upgrade items. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Juncti said:

That's what to me is so weird about this. It doesn't feel like the shot elimination is a nickle and dime situation, as even if you upgrade to Plus tier drink package you still don't get these options. 

It's nickle and diming from the expense side of ledger, that's all.  So yes it's not like they have their had out looking for extra revenue, instead they save bottles of alcohol by not allowing popular shots.

1 minute ago, laudergayle said:

So, besides the OP, does anyone actually have knowledge or have experienced the “No Mixed Shots” policy?  

My son is on the Breakaway right now and has Vibe passes. The bartender said the ban is fleet wide. So yes it is indeed true.

15 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

It's nickle and diming from the expense side of ledger, that's all.  So yes it's not like they have their had out looking for extra revenue, instead they save bottles of alcohol by not allowing popular shots.

Not that it would be great if they gated it into the Plus category, but at least then it would feel more in line with expected behaviors. Pretty sure I saw someone mention even Haven you're not allowed to have them and that's the highest paying customers on the ship

I concur with Juncti; if it was an expense issue, and NCL thought they could charge more for mixed shots than they would include it in some drink packages as an incentive to have guests pay an increased revenue to offset the expense. In business why would you cut something off people want? In most business scenarios you would offer it ala carte and package it at a higher cost gaining margin on revenue over expenses.
I'm thinking (i.e. no specific knowledge, simply an opinion) the policy change has much more to do with management feeling people get drunk on these shots and by eliminating them it will slow down how quickly people get intoxicated. Many people can drink these sweeter shots but won't do straight shots of base alcohol. Rarely do we hear of over indulgent stories, but they must happen and I don't think it's a stretch to think someone in senior management looked to this policy as an answer. It's kinda a standard approach, eliminate the item, and don't bother addressing the cause.

This is part of what I'm worried about on my upcoming cruise. The lack of availability. We're probably upgrading to plus, but it's really going to suck if every plus drink is just not stocked. Like we'll sell you this plus package with the promise of this list of options, then when you get there and ask for things off the list they can just be like sorry, don't have it. Feels bait and switchy. 

If you're going to sell a premium experience upgrade, then they need to stock the premium upgrade items. 

My son is on the Breakaway right now and says he is really and I mean really disappointed with the premium plus upgrade. Most liquors unavailable and also extremely restricted where you can get them. Only place you can get Veuve is in the dining rooms. We stayed in the Haven last spring and had a pretty good selection of top shelf liquor but I’m worried if you stay elsewhere your chances of getting your money’s worth is extremely limited. I have four upcoming cruises booked with the upgrade and I think I’m going to cancel them. Im not going to spend my time trying to hunt down something that I paid for.

1 hour ago, mtrancher said:

In business why would you cut something off people want?

Well, because you can and by doing so you save money on product and possibly human resources.

1 hour ago, mtrancher said:

I'm thinking (i.e. no specific knowledge, simply an opinion) the policy change has much more to do with management feeling people get drunk on these shots and by eliminating them it will slow down how quickly people get intoxicated.

You very well may be right.  I hope you aren't right though.  Why do I hope you aren't right?  Because I've never seen nor heard of drunkenness' problems on NCL ships and because if that really is the reason, then their solution is just lazy - rather than educate and support the servers on over serving, eliminate the shots.  Lazy.  And if over serving really is the problem, then it seems they should get rid of all shots, not just mixed.  And, I suspect for the few that do get over served, this won't solve the problem as many of those people will just drink something else.

If I was on a ship right, I do know that I'd be asking the beverage manager for an explanation.

• Like 1

Has anyone asked NCL about this policy? I’ve dealt with enough of the customer service people to know they wouldn’t have an answer, but perhaps someone currently cruising could have a discussion with a F&B manager. 🤷🏿‍♂️ I mean, wouldn’t want someone to interrupt their vacation to do it, but perhaps they could get a better answer on the new policy. 

Just now, New2cruise2022 said:

Has anyone asked NCL about this policy? I’ve dealt with enough of the customer service people to know they wouldn’t have an answer, but perhaps someone currently cruising could have a discussion with a F&B manager. 🤷🏿‍♂️ I mean, wouldn’t want someone to interrupt their vacation to do it, but perhaps they could get a better answer on the new policy. 

Yes...I have.

Since the Pearl falls under Jovo (Regional VP of Fleet Hotel Operations), I sent him a direct email asking whether this report was accurate. 

His reply:

I have verified your query with fleet beverage manager and was told we offer full array of shots as normal. 

Not sure who and why said otherwise. GM is on it. 

So, like with many things "reported" on CC, I'm going to call BS on this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Just now, SeaShark said:

Yes...I have.

Since the Pearl falls under Jovo (Regional VP of Fleet Hotel Operations), I sent him a direct email asking whether this report was accurate. 

His reply:

I have verified your query with fleet beverage manager and was told we offer full array of shots as normal. 

Not sure who and why said otherwise. GM is on it. 

So, like with many things "reported" on CC, I'm going to call BS on this one.

On this day of Thanksgiving 🦃 here in the US, I shall raise a turkey leg to you, @SeaShark  

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1