No More Mixed Shots!

id10t

19 minutes ago, Juncti said:

Definitely a possibility. We'll know for certain in the next 2 weeks. 2 weeks from now I'll be in Vibe on Breakaway, and 1 week from now @Sthrngary will be. If @Sthrngarygets shut down and I get shut down the following week, we'll know at least on Breakaway that shots are a no go.

Fleetwide policy or not, if the bartenders have been told not to do this they aren't going to do it. Don't see them risking their jobs or being demoted to other bars or positions just so a person can have a mini beer or a lemon drop. 

I know and understand the mission at hand.  I will test the waters but I also have the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  So I think, that opens up all types of drinks including the ones in question.  I will ask the bartender and Vibe manager the question for sure. We will drink to get to the bottom of this situation.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 11/21/2022 at 11:33 AM, id10t said:

No Vibe on Pearl.  No Bar on NCL Pearl os doing mixed shot.  Only straight shots.

Then cruise on another ship in the fleet that will serve them.   Enjoyed them for 11 days on the Prima in the Vibe and have enjoyed them in the Vibe previously on the Escape. 

On 11/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, gmbhardy said:

It’s not drinks or straight shots, it’s mixed shots. You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.

What's more difficult to make....a Miami Vice or a Mini Beer?    A Miami Vice is a mixture of a frozen pina colada and a frozen strawberry daiquiri, each consisting of rum, ice and mix.   A Mini Beer is chilled Licor 43 with ice cream mix and ice blended on top.  So, the Mini Beer is less labor intensive, it's two items blended onto a chilled liquor versus two concoctions poured together with each consisting of three blended ingredients.

• Like 1

Wow some the posts in this thread…
My NCL cruise on Pearl from November 18th to the 29th 2022 had no mixed / layered shots.  Others on different ships reported the same. 
I hope this just a anomaly. 

On 11/21/2022 at 9:50 AM, id10t said:

Currently on NCL Pearl.  They are no longer allowed to give out mixed shot per corporate.  No more mini beers, alien brain hemorrhage, lemon drops, and so on.  Disappointed.

Probably doesnt want people to get wasted and misbehave. We have banned shots during our NYE ball because people became too unruly. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, id10t said:

Wow some the posts in this thread…
My NCL cruise on Pearl from November 18th to the 29th 2022 had no mixed / layered shots.  Others on different ships reported the same. 
I hope this just a anomaly. 

I know you are frustrated.  You attempted to share something to many which is an important change on any NCL Ship.  What happens when you do this is the responses are both positive and some challenge you.  

I am cruising on the NCL Breakaway on Sunday.  I will find out if the Breakaway has the same new policy and report back.  Your thread is the only thread that brings this topic up that I have read.  So folks will be skeptical.  Please understand, in the last 30 days this blog has gotten some posts that were from folks that after research were only here to cause commotion. I really don't think that is the case with your post.  Just wanted you to know why some folks are reacting the way they are.

Thanks for the heads up.  I am on the job.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Your thread is the only thread that brings this topic up that I have read.  So folks will be skeptical.  Please understand, in the last 30 days this blog has gotten some posts that were from folks that after research were only here to cause commotion.

There are other reports:

On 11/26/2022 at 3:47 PM, gmbhardy said:

When I read the original post I asked my son who is on the Breakaway right now to ask the Vibe bartender if the ban was in fact true. He confirmed that it was - a fleet wide ban on serving mixed shots. As you may or may not know, the Vibe bar is known for serving mixed shots, so if you are unable to get them there, it’s doubtful you’ll get them elsewhere.

I am on the Breakaway the week after you, look after her 😁

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, *MoonLady* said:

Probably doesnt want people to get wasted and misbehave. We have banned shots during our NYE ball because people became too unruly. 

If this were the case, then all shots would be banned.  The report here is layered or mixed shots.  Often times, these mixed shots have less alcohol than straight shots.

• Like 1

My theory, after having no issues with "layered" shots in the last month on NCL, is some bartenders are new.  I think NCL (and probably other cruise lines) have had to hire many, many new crew.  Many may not know how to make layered shots.  Instead, instead of admitting to not knowing, they defer to the tried and true "we're not allowed".

I'm leaning towards my theory given the responses from NCL personnel that layered shots are allowed, regardless of what the bartenders state.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I know you are frustrated.  You attempted to share something to many which is an important change on any NCL Ship.  What happens when you do this is the responses are both positive and some challenge you.  

I am cruising on the NCL Breakaway on Sunday.  I will find out if the Breakaway has the same new policy and report back.  Your thread is the only thread that brings this topic up that I have read.  So folks will be skeptical.  Please understand, in the last 30 days this blog has gotten some posts that were from folks that after research were only here to cause commotion. I really don't think that is the case with your post.  Just wanted you to know why some folks are reacting the way they are.

Thanks for the heads up.  I am on the job.  

Are we taking wagers on the outcome? 😉

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

There are other reports:

Those posts are within this thread.... Gary said this is the only thread that is reporting this, not that your post is the only post reporting this. To me he's simply trying to say give it a week and he'll have yet another real time update. Plus, I would suspect if there is a ban, he'll be able to likely give us more specifics.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mtrancher said:

Are we taking wagers on the outcome? 😉

@mtrancher I have not booked a bet in a very long time.  What do you think the odds are?  I will play this fairly.  I have the Premium Plus Beverage Package and I am also in the Vibe Beach Club.  With everything I hear on Social Media one thing is always true.  What you think is 100% correct often has some other information you did not know about. 

Example, I heard that Bailys Irish Cream was no longer on the Premium Beverage Package.  If this is the case, I will find this out next week also, then a lot of the shooter drinks would not be included in the normal drink package.  I think everyone knows, I will shoot (Pun) them straight and in doing so might have to do a few Shooters.  Just the price of admission and somebody has to take a bullet for the team.  I am your man. 

What I promise to do is differentiate the two drink programs.  This mystery will be solved shortly.  I also promise to tell everyone where the best Prime Rib is.  On am on the job, sir.

Cruise well and Drink at every moment. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

Those posts are within this thread.... Gary said this is the only thread that is reporting this, not that your post is the only post reporting this. To me he's simply trying to say give it a week and he'll have yet another real time update. Plus, I would suspect if there is a ban, he'll be able to likely give us more specifics.

Thank you again @mtrancher.  You completely understand what I was saying.  I will do a real time report if after I test the waters or spirits, I can still type.  I have a tendency to over enjoy my first day especially when you have been waiting over a year to cruise.  I am also happy to say, I was not cancelled once for this cruise.  Almost makes me feel uncomfortable.  But I digress. 

Cruise well and Shots for everyone. 

• Like 1

We've already got confirmation from both the Regional VP of Fleet Hotel Operations and from the Fleet Beverage Manager confirming that the reported ban on mixed/layered shots is untrue. Not understanding why we need further "verification"...🙄 @Sthrngary is correct...if this were true, there would be many threads of people upset about it...not to mention that other cruise sites & blogs would be reporting it as well. Yet all we have is one person making a claim and hearsay evidence from another.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

We've already got confirmation from both the Regional VP of Fleet Hotel Operations and from the Fleet Beverage Manager confirming that the reported ban on mixed/layered shots is untrue. Not understanding why we need further "verification"...🙄 @Sthrngary is correct...if this were true, there would be many threads of people upset about it...not to mention that other cruise sites & blogs would be reporting it as well. Yet all we have is one person making a claim and hearsay evidence from another.

Thanks SeaShark.  Guess I am just made it up for attention then.  🙄

15 minutes ago, id10t said:

Thanks SeaShark.  Guess I am just made it up for attention then.  🙄

I don't think you made it up, I don't question your experiences at all.  

What I think can be questioned is the conclusion that some are trying to draw that this is a new fleetwide policy.  Hence, I'm looking forward to other's experiences as well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PATRLR said:

I don't think you made it up, I don't question your experiences at all.  

What I think can be questioned is the conclusion that some are trying to draw that this is a new fleetwide policy.  Hence, I'm looking forward to other's experiences as well.  

TBH, nobody here is trying to draw that conclusion...the OP is the one that made the "fleetwide policy" claim outright.

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

TBH, nobody here is trying to draw that conclusion...the OP is the one that made the "fleetwide policy" claim outright.

When did I ever make the claim fleetwide?  I posted my experience on the Pearl.  Per all the bartenders on the Pearl they could not give out mixed/layered shots per corporate.  Did the the crew lie to us about corporate? possibly. 

Edited by id10t
  • Like 1

The mystery is now over, I will confirm it next week. The author did his best to inform us which is all we can ask anyone. No one did anything wrong and at least now we all know that we can have as many shots as we want. Thank you to the author for his/her concern.

I am personally happy that I don’t have to go to every single bar on the ship and order shots. I can’t do that anymore. But there was a time.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, id10t said:

When did I ever make the claim fleetwide?  I posted my experience on the Pearl.  Per all the bartenders on the Pearl they could not give out mixed/layered shots per corporate.  Did the the crew lie to us about corporate? possibly. 

In the very first post when you stated that it was a corporate policy. You never indicated that this was "Pearl Only". 

And to your question about the crew lying to you...maybe they just made it up for attention. 🙄

On 11/26/2022 at 8:47 AM, gmbhardy said:

When I read the original post I asked my son who is on the Breakaway right now to ask the Vibe bartender if the ban was in fact true. He confirmed that it was - a fleet wide ban on serving mixed shots. As you may or may not know, the Vibe bar is known for serving mixed shots, so if you are unable to get them there, it’s doubtful you’ll get them elsewhere.

Mixed shots like Duck Fart? I can understand that because it's a layered shot and time consuming to make. 

2 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

Mixed shots like Duck Fart? I can understand that because it's a layered shot and time consuming to make. 

Sorry--does not float!!  How time consuming is it to make a mojito?  How about a long island ice tea?  Miami vice?  Mango tango? Pain killer??  Lots of drinks are time consuming, it's not just shots.  People can get just as drunk drinking straight shots as they can mixed shots, so that doesn't make sense either.  Best arguement is the lack of TRAINED staff--but those bartenders should be working at slower bars or slower shifts when there is a TRAINED bartender to show them how to do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

My theory, after having no issues with "layered" shots in the last month on NCL, is some bartenders are new.  I think NCL (and probably other cruise lines) have had to hire many, many new crew.  Many may not know how to make layered shots.  Instead, instead of admitting to not knowing, they defer to the tried and true "we're not allowed".

I'm leaning towards my theory given the responses from NCL personnel that layered shots are allowed, regardless of what the bartenders state.

The bartenders at the pool bar on the Breakaway cruise I took over Halloween were not new and they told me they were not allowed to make shot cocktails. Did "they" just refer to that specific bar or ship? I don't know. I was told the same thing initially by the Vibe bartenders on the Prima over Thanksgiving. They definitely are not new bartenders. Eventually, we did get our shot o'clock shots. I don't recall anyone asking for shot cocktails individually though from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

I also stated in my first reply here (post 173) that on 2 separate cruises I was told they could not do shot cocktails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1