Suite numbers and dining

marne-c

My wife and I are on our first Regent cruise, on the Navigator.  We're loving it, enough that we've booked a specific future cruise AND bought FCCs.

A newbie question:  Why, when we arrive at the Compass Rose desk or sit down in La Veranda or at a Pool Grill table, are we asked for our suite numbers?  Are they keeping track?  Do they treat people differently based on suite category?

Now, we're being treated VERY well!  No complaints at all.  But we've booked a lower category of suite for our future cruise, and I'm wondering if that will be noted somehow on board.

--Marne

Edited by marne-c

12 minutes ago, fudge said:

I think its so they can look at the passenger list and thereafter could address you by your name.

10 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Was just going to say the exact same thing. Have you noticed that you are referred to by name after you have given your suite number?

We indeed are addressed by name.  Thanks for the quick answers!

--Marne

• Like 1

I've suspected there may be a 'bit' of tracking going on.  A couple of times my wife and I have been approached by F&B manager, the SH or the Head Butler while dining so they could inform us of a resolution to a problem we hadn't even had knowledge of.  How did they know we were in CR or SM for dinner?  

"Inquiring minds would like to know..."

• Haha 1

Having your cabin number as you come in to the restaurant definitely helps them remember your name, and it usually doesn't take long before they know your name without needing your cabin number, expecially in Compass Rose .I also think they keep notes about your preferences and experiences. If you ask for a certain waitperson, they put that in your notes. If you've had a bad experience with a sommelier, they add that to the notes. And that will keep you happier while onboard, based on our experience.

• Like 4

There is also a special list kept of high night clients, clients in high level suites and clients who have sailed a lot within a short time period. Certain members of the crew are given this list prior to sailing to identify these high value targets.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:12 AM, forgap said:

They can also keep track of food allergies. 

Food allergies, preferences, + dietary restrictions are stored in the passenger profile and accessible to wait staff and kitchen via Cabin #. Also, owned wine bottles are stored by cabin # in the wine cellar, so Sommelier needs your cabin # to access opened bottles (whether purchased onboard or brought onboard with corkage fee paid). Also helps catch potential missed reservations (or reservation not being kept). 

• Like 1

FYI.  One thing the computer does not hold is your nickname.  

On the online Guest Information Form, there is a spot for Nickname.  I always put mine in.  It’s a shortened version of my middle name.  When I enter a Dining Room, I am always called by my first name.  As I am currently on an extended voyage, I would really like to be called my preferred name.

With this concern, I went to the concierge and asked what could be done.  Apparently, there is nowhere in the computer system  where the preferred name from the guest form is actually used.  Your name is used only from your passport.  The concierge suggested an email be sent out to all departments with my photo and preferred name. That was not the method I wanted this problem solved.   

I am not sure what was done,  but miraculously, I have been called my nickname ever since.  I really didn’t want a big issue, just to be called my requested name.  I wonder why that area on the Guest Information Form isn’t used?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

FYI.  One thing the computer does not hold is your nickname.  

On the online Guest Information Form, there is a spot for Nickname.  I always put mine in.  It’s a shortened version of my middle name.  When I enter a Dining Room, I am always called by my first name.  As I am currently on an extended voyage, I would really like to be called my preferred name.

With this concern, I went to the concierge and asked what could be done.  Apparently, there is nowhere in the computer system  where the preferred name from the guest form is actually used.  Your name is used only from your passport.  The concierge suggested an email be sent out to all departments with my photo and preferred name. That was not the method I wanted this problem solved.   

I am not sure what was done,  but miraculously, I have been called my nickname ever since.  I really didn’t want a big issue, just to be called my requested name.  I wonder why that area on the Guest Information Form isn’t used?

I go by middle name…have since birth….but it never fails I get called by my first name.  It is frustrating. I had an RA Dr that called me by first name for 14 years although I would correct him and the nurse would call me by correct name.  

• Like 1

Just now, rcandkc said:

I go by middle name…have since birth….but it never fails I get called by my first name.  It is frustrating. I had an RA Dr that called me by first name for 14 years although I would correct him and the nurse would call me by correct name.  

Thanks.  Yes, it can be frustrating.  

On 11/23/2022 at 2:23 PM, 2SeaAll said:

Food allergies, preferences, + dietary restrictions are stored in the passenger profile and accessible to wait staff and kitchen via Cabin #. Also, owned wine bottles are stored by cabin # in the wine cellar, so Sommelier needs your cabin # to access opened bottles (whether purchased onboard or brought onboard with corkage fee paid). Also helps catch potential missed reservations (or reservation not being kept). 

22 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Yes. @Techno123,  for me it was my full name!!

We will be on our first RSSC cruise. Is there a maximum number of times you can dine in each restaurant ?  We’re in the seven seas suite 

4 hours ago, watercruise said:

We will be on our first RSSC cruise. Is there a maximum number of times you can dine in each restaurant ?  We’re in the seven seas suite 

I don’t think there is a limit but it is subject to availability.  I believe in a grand suite and above you will get this but not sure what the footnote is: 

• Guaranteed Reservation Each Night in Specialty Restaurant of Your Choice†

On 11/27/2022 at 12:10 AM, Lonedaddy said:

I don’t think there is a limit but it is subject to availability.  I believe in a grand suite and above you will get this but not sure what the footnote is: 

• Guaranteed Reservation Each Night in Specialty Restaurant of Your Choice†

You are correct about GS and above. As per the footnote, you are guaranteed a seating, but perhaps not at your choice of time. It worked out very well for us on our March cruise and will hopefully be the same for our TA in March '23. We were able to get into any venue within 30 minutes of our choice.....which just meant one more cocktail before dinner!