Former ms Maasdam

YXU AC*SE

Now CFC Renaissance got a little bit sideways in very strong winds at Brest, FR where she is being refurbished for Compagnie Française de Croisières.  The other ship involved was a LNG tanker, Hoegh Gannet.     Scott. 

https://www.tiktok.com/@chris29400/video/7168542468609150214?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7050926389583103493

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LuAnn said:

I didn't realize she was gone from the fleet. We only sailed on her once but thought it was such a great ship and size!!

She was one of four smaller ships that left the HAL fleet during the suspension of operations after Covid struck in 2020, Amsterdam, Rotterdam and her ugly duckling sister Veendam were the others. She was initially sold to Seajets who renamed her Aegean Myth, but she never sailed for them, instead spending about two years in layup in Greece. Around September of this year, she was purchased by French-owned start-up Compagnie Française de Croisières (CFC) who renamed her Renaissance. She hasn't started sailing for them yet and is currently at the Damen Shiprepair yard in Brest, France for repainting and upgrades 

Ship

3203518.jpg

Ship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

Don't know if I would call the Veendam IV an ugly duckling sister, but yes by the end of the run with HAL she was in need of a makeover. 

20221122_231644.jpg

I was referring to her ''remodeled'' stern, not one of HAL's best moves 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shippmates said:

We loved our cruises on the Maasdam many years ago.  

The Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam and Statendam were all what HAL named Statendam class ships. They were classic beautiful vessels. They all had a great library as part of the Exploration Cafe IIRC on deck 4 and the beautiful Ocean Bar lounge which always had a small band with dance music before and during the dinner hours. The Explorers lounge was also beautiful and classy as were the dining rooms and of course they all had the traditional Promenade deck. IIRC we sailed on Statendam class ships at least 12 times. When the Vista and Signature class ships were introduced they have become our favorite HAL ships especially the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam but the Statendam class ships will always have a soft spot in our hearts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

They all had a great library as part of the Exploration Cafe IIRC on deck 4

Deck 5---Upper Promenade. I used to think of that as the 'Evening Deck' since everything I wanted in the evening was there. From pre-dinner cocktails, to dinner, entrance to the nightly show, then entertainment in the Piano Bar until 2:00 AM. 
Yes, there was a time HAL encouraged passengers to stay out and play until the wee hours. And many of us did! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

The Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam and Statendam were all what HAL named Statendam class ships. They were classic beautiful vessels. They all had a great library as part of the Exploration Cafe IIRC on deck 4 and the beautiful Ocean Bar lounge which always had a small band with dance music before and during the dinner hours. The Explorers lounge was also beautiful and classy as were the dining rooms and of course they all had the traditional Promenade deck. IIRC we sailed on Statendam class ships at least 12 times. When the Vista and Signature class ships were introduced they have become our favorite HAL ships especially the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam but the Statendam class ships will always have a soft spot in our hearts.

Oh you reminded me...we sailed on the Ryndam and loved her too!! 😞 😞