"Many" NCL crew members not happy campers with new limits n restrictions against onboard public area access.

mking8288

Happy crew members and junior officers, etc. with cheerful smiles are often seen, reflected and spread to guests, passengers onboard ... well, this newly reported change impacting those with ranks below 2 strips.  Unless, a request for permission was made (and, approved) - detailed news here.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-takes-away-popular-crew-member-privilege/88476 

Washy Washy, Happy Happy ... if your friendly steward and dining team aren't looking too cheerful, perhaps, this help explain 🤨

Healthy, safe & happy holidays and Thanksgiving to all on CC. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Happy crew members and junior officers, etc. with cheerful smiles are often seen, reflected and spread to guests, passengers onboard ... well, this newly reported change impacting those with ranks below 2 strips.  Unless, a request for permission was made (and, approved) - detailed news here.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-takes-away-popular-crew-member-privilege/88476 

Washy Washy, Happy Happy ... if your friendly steward and dining team aren't looking too cheerful, perhaps, this help explain 🤨

This was mentioned on the currently active tipping thread and per @chengkp75 it really isn't new, but rather a return to the way things used to be.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2895008-gratuities-does-the-employees-actually-get-them/page/3/#comment-64344687

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

This was mentioned on the currently active tipping thread and per @chengkp75 it really isn't new, but rather a return to the way things used to be.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2895008-gratuities-does-the-employees-actually-get-them/page/3/#comment-64344687

Further to my comments in that post, it was always, even for 3 stripe and above officers, that access to a particular venue would be restricted by the venue supervisor, based on whether or not the crew would impact the passenger experience.  I think, reading this article, that during times of very low occupancy (post pandemic) and crew contract extensions, that the privileges were extended, and they are now returning to prior, as the passenger use of venues increases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, mking8288 said:

With 800 positive tests on a ship in Sydney, it's smart to limit interaction.

I personally don't want them in the public areas. I hate it when there is a night party and the crowded dance floor is half crew.

They took the job, their choice. 

Wondering when this bough breaks?  Will this limit their recruiting of crew given other cruise lines’ policies are more liberal?

I’m not of the “us vs them” mindset when it comes to interacting with crew.  I always find them helpful, cheerful and polite.  So, I’m having a hard time understanding this change.  Why do something to irritate your most precious commodity?  Frankly, it just seems mean spirited compared to any small financial gain it may net them.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Wondering when this bough breaks?  Will this limit their recruiting of crew given other cruise lines’ policies are more liberal?

Do you know this for a fact?  It was my understanding when I worked the industry, that NCL's old policy was basically industry standard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Do you know this for a fact?  It was my understanding when I worked the industry, that NCL's old policy was basically industry standard.

I know nothing for a fact, as I’m not crew.

Just saying given the seemingly recruiting challenges they claim to have, being a little more liberal with access to public areas seems a small price to showing personnel they can have a life outside of their work and I95.

Our recent Prima sailing we saw more crew in public areas eating than ever before.  I thought it was maybe a new benefit and thought it was great.

They generally sat in less busy places like behind the Surfside grill or outside in the eating area between the pool and grill. It wasn't too warm and they had jackets on but they were all having a good time with smiles on face and bothering no one.

• Like 5

Happy, safe & healthy Thanksgiving to all (OP for this post).  Read this initially before posting as informational or FYI only - being the intent and not to stir up the pot.  

Can't imagine this being moral boosters for the crew as a whole, and recognized, outside of their contract(s), privileges were given & earned and taking them or reverting aren't going to be popular.  

If crew drinking while off-duty and roaming above their deck is a problem, then, isn't that a managerial and supervisory failure to enforce, test & discipline; and the chains of command should also be held responsible to police their directly reporting ??  We saw plenty of mid/upper tiered managerial & officers in stripes doing their high profile management-by-walking-around, and, mingling at the VIP gatherings "upstairs" as usual - on the 2 NCL ships.  Not going to speculate beyond my "tunnel visions". 

We didn't see off-duty dancers & shop managers hanging out in group, eating everywhere & drinking, or taking over the fitness center (don't go to crowded venues or dance floor indoors ... still mindful of best practices with C19 going around & social distancing).  IMHO, the ones that "abused" their extra crew member privileges accorded to them should be dealt with directly and promptly.  Come to think of it, have never seen anyone in the laundry department eat "upstairs" in Cagney's.  The ones that work in the Art Gallery, not uncommon to see them in a far corner of the MDR and/or buffet, usually very late in the evening - perhaps, hitting or exceeding their auction sales target for the month.  

The room stewards that we had, from what we knew, much rather spent their off-duty time resting and sleeping in their shared cabin, if they could.  Instead of partying outside their zones, the last one we had - took extra time to do fancy towel animals in our cabin and other's - never requested, asked or suggested.  

@dexddd with extra, extra luck - Dine w Officers will come back and if we go again, this meant ... it will not be Asst Gift Shop manager or alike hosting the table, but someone with 2 stripes, at least ??  Just kidding ... LOL

@graphicguy - thanks for sharing that video ... sometimes, these stories aren't just as plain as black & white, grey matters and then, other angles & dimensions to consider.  As always, to others: agree to disagree.  I have nothing further to add.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, mking8288 said:

If crew drinking while off-duty and roaming above their deck is a problem, then, isn't that a managerial and supervisory failure to enforce, test & discipline; and the chains of command should also be held responsible to police their directly reporting ??

So, if a housekeeping supervisor has 15 direct reports, does that mean that during off hours that supervisor has to tour passenger areas looking for their reports, maybe in 6 different venues, and note their alcohol consumption?  There is a reason that crew bars only allow a crew member to purchase a single glass of wine or beer at a time, and not "a round on me".  As for alcohol testing and limits, everyone knows about this when you sign on, and you sign a document acknowledging that you understand the drug and alcohol regulations.  And, while there may be random testing done after a crew party (reasonable cause to suspect abuse), the testing is done by random numbers (the crew member's number on the station bill), generated by a third party company and sent to the ship.  When I worked for NCL, the Chief and Staff Chief Engineers, among other senior officers, had a zero alcohol level limit for the entire time onboard.  Yet, in one three month tour, my crew number came up for testing 4 times.

As for the video, this is from the viewpoint of someone who has had guest privileges before the pandemic, and who doesn't realize that the vast majority of crew  never had these, but it seems like from his comments that every crew was granted access.  This is also from the viewpoint of a US entertainer, whose status and conditions on the ship were worlds away from the majority of crew, and whose whole life outlook and expectations are different from the crew.  I find it very interesting that the majority of "rants" like this one come from first world crew.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 11/24/2022 at 10:22 AM, chengkp75 said:

Around 2016 I was talking with a member of the cruise director staff.

She said all officers can eat at the buffet.

And since she's considered a 1/2 strip officer, so can she.

I have no doubt that she has eaten at the buffet without getting in trouble.

But her statement seems contradictory to replies in this thread saying the old ways didn't allow some officers in the buffet.

Was she allowed to eat at the buffet because she's part of the cruise director staff and not because she's an officer?

• Like 1

Hasn't that been normal before the covid - only officers and entertainment staff were allowed to use guest premises? And I think that is fully correct as well. Why would other be allowed to use same facilities as passengers?

We’ve been on over 25 NCL cruises, and when the crew is unhappy, the whole ship feels it.  The demeanor of the staff can affect my experience.  On one trip, the crew, especially in the buffet, was sullen and almost seemed frightened.  Made me wonder if they were being berated or otherwise badly treated. It raised the tensions everywhere.  On others, the buffet staff were so happy, smiling at everyone and joking with each other, giving me warm fuzzies.  I use buffet staff as my guide,  as that is where I see the greatest number of crew together at one time.  

I’ve always enjoyed seeing crew of all levels mingling in public guest areas.  They are people, for heavens sake, and not slaves.  They work hard and long, and seeing them out and about always made me smile.  And if I got a chance , I’d talk to them. 
I love to see dancers on the dance floor, entertainers, other crew out and about. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 3:56 AM, chengkp75 said:

This is also from the viewpoint of a US entertainer, whose status and conditions on the ship were worlds away from the majority of crew, and whose whole life outlook and expectations are different from the crew.  I find it very interesting that the majority of "rants" like this one come from first world crew.

I've noticed this too. It reminds me of the Revolutionary War, where British soldiers were shocked at how well the Americans lived, and couldn't understand why they were committing treason - their families back in England as loyal subjects were decidedly worse than the Americans. The YT videos I've seen of crew from the Philippines and other places have a completely different tone that doesn't have any of the outrage Jay expressed (I follow Jay on YT because he's a pretty good vlogger, and like him, but I do agree with your assessment.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 6:56 AM, chengkp75 said:

When I worked for NCL, the Chief and Staff Chief Engineers, among other senior officers, had a zero alcohol level limit for the entire time onboard. 

Interesting.  Was that zero alcohol policy typical or unusual in your experience?

43 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Interesting.  Was that zero alcohol policy typical or unusual in your experience?

For cruise ships, that was typical for the top 5 or so officers.  At NCL, that was the Captain, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Staff Chief Engineer, and Hotel Director.  At receptions, the glasses held either seltzer or ginger ale.  This all started after 1990.  Prior to that, officers were given an allotment to spend buying passengers drinks, to get them to mingle.  After the required alcohol limits and testing, the officers no longer wanted to mingle, and the passengers complained that they never saw officers around the ship.  So, the lines gave the hotel supervisors stripes and uniforms, and let them mingle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I recall that a number of years ago when we hit a fairly high loyalty program status on Celebrity we, and and two or three other couples of similar status, were invited to have dinner with the Captain. He definitely drank the wines that were offered and not just a taste either . 

• Like 1