Price of Princess London Hotel

DaisyRose

Hello,

We are on the September 29, 2023 British Isles cruise on Regal Princess.  Googling Princess Cruises hotels London three are listed on what looks like a Princess site.  It shows the Leonardo Royal Hotel London Tower Bridge for $439 per person for 2 nights.  This seems to be in line with what Princess usually offers.  I asked my TA to call and book that for me.  Princess told my TA  over $600 for one night.  That is crazy, and why would they quote a price for one night when they only offer 2 or more nights?  I am thinking about asking my TA to call back and see if he gets a different agent with a different price.  We used to book hotels and transfers independently, but with age and less mobility we would just like to have it all arranged for us.  I'm so annoyed I'm thinking of cancelling the cruise.  Does anyone have any information (pricing) with Princess recently for London hotels?  Thanks for any help you can offer.  

This site should help:

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/cruise-ports-and-hotels/

They will book the hotels for 1, 2 or 3 nights. Not sure of more. It is often cheaper to when you book more than 1 night as the price goes down per night.

I recently stayed at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton through Princess and did like the hotel and location. I will try to look up prices after dinner. 

Definitely have your agent have them price it for the number of nights that you want the hotel. Maybe that hotel was only available for one night?

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

From what I can tell for your cruise  - 

Pre cruise

1 night - Leonardo Royal Hotel - $638

1 night - May fair Hotel - $798

1 night - Radissonn Blue Edwardian Grafton - $718

2 night - Leonardo Royal Hotel - $1036

2 night - May fair Hotel - $1256

2 night - Radissonn Blue Edwardian Grafton - $1076

3 night - Leonardo Royal Hotel - waitlist

3 night - May fair Hotel - $1714

3 night - Radissonn Blue Edwardian Grafton - $1434

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coral said:

This site should help:

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/cruise-ports-and-hotels/

They will book the hotels for 1, 2 or 3 nights. Not sure of more. It is often cheaper to when you book more than 1 night as the price goes down per night.

Apparently they will book it for more than 3 nights also. Sorry about earlier info.

Edited by Coral

7 hours ago, dog said:

Easy to book hotel on your own- free cancellation up to week you travel. Have stayed at Rubens by the Palace and took taxi to Victoria Coach Station- and took Princess coach transfer to ship. 

Hi Dog,

I'm also interested in Rubens by the Palace and would appreciate your thoughts on this hotel, if you wouldn't mind.  Did you enjoy the hotel and its location? TIA. Vicki 🙂 

9 hours ago, Coral said:

From what I can tell for your cruise  - 

Pre cruise

1 night - Leonardo Royal Hotel - $638

1 night - May fair Hotel - $798

1 night - Radissonn Blue Edwardian Grafton - $718

2 night - Leonardo Royal Hotel - $1036

2 night - May fair Hotel - $1256

2 night - Radissonn Blue Edwardian Grafton - $1076.  If I book a room for 2 at this hotel for 2 nights the rate is $246.38 per night per night excluding VAT but w breakfast.  

3 night - Leonardo Royal Hotel - waitlist

3 night - May fair Hotel - $1714

3 night - Radissonn Blue Edwardian Grafton - $1434

Any time you book your pre-cruise stay with the cruise line you are being royally sc**ed.    I checked that rate by logging onto the hotel WEB site.  It took me all of 5 minutes to make a test reservation.  You are being overcharged by $584.  You might being robbed by Princess but I wouldn't.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Busy Mum said:

Hi Dog,

I'm also interested in Rubens by the Palace and would appreciate your thoughts on this hotel, if you wouldn't mind.  Did you enjoy the hotel and its location? TIA. Vicki 🙂 

Stayed 3 times. Loved it two times. Had meal package- dinner, breakfast were excellent.  King room very nice 2 times. Third time they had oversold, put us in a small room, 2 single, small beds. after one night put us in a suite- which was lovely. 
Fourth time, I emailed them & shared my 3 rd expe and was assured it would not happen again, and they offered an upgrade- but pandemic had me cancel.  They seemed very concerned with pleasing me. It was close enough to walk to some places- across street from Buckingham Palace- side where gift shop is & stables.  HOHO bus stopped down the street.  We took taxi to take boat to Greenwich & Harrods& to Victoria Coach Station. Had Princess transfers to ship.  You can buy your own bus tickets to Southampton, as well. I would stay there again. Had also stayed at Langham.

19 minutes ago, dog said:

Stayed 3 times. Loved it two times. Had meal package- dinner, breakfast were excellent.  King room very nice 2 times. Third time they had oversold, put us in a small room, 2 single, small beds. after one night put us in a suite- which was lovely. 
Fourth time, I emailed them & shared my 3 rd expe and was assured it would not happen again, and they offered an upgrade- but pandemic had me cancel.  They seemed very concerned with pleasing me. It was close enough to walk to some places- across street from Buckingham Palace- side where gift shop is & stables.  HOHO bus stopped down the street.  We took taxi to take boat to Greenwich & Harrods& to Victoria Coach Station. Had Princess transfers to ship.  You can buy your own bus tickets to Southampton, as well. I would stay there again. Had also stayed at Langham.

Thats wonderful, thank you so much for your very quick reply.  I'm very keen to stay at Rubens and hope to in the not too distant future.  Thanks again for your insight. Vicki 🙂 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 10:22 PM, Coral said:

It amuses me that the descriptions of the hotels on the Princess website appear to have been written by somebody who has never been to London.

I certainly wouldn't pay those prices for any of those hotels, but then again I'm from Yorkshire originally. You can stay at Travelodge London Central Waterloo for a fraction of the cost, and still be within easy reach of most tourist attractions (including many which Princess Cruises seem not to have heard of).
GB0914_LONDON_CENTRAL_WATERLOO_EXTERIOR_2208.thumb.webp.ed0d6b40b3b0943597e168bd84ac0005.webp

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 2:17 AM, donaldsc said:

2 night - Radissonn Blue Edwardian Grafton - $1076.  If I book a room for 2 at this hotel for 2 nights the rate is $246.38 per night per night excluding VAT but w breakfast.  

On 11/27/2022 at 2:17 AM, donaldsc said:

Any time you book your pre-cruise stay with the cruise line you are being royally sc**ed.    I checked that rate by logging onto the hotel WEB site.  It took me all of 5 minutes to make a test reservation.  You are being overcharged by $584.  You might being robbed by Princess but I wouldn't.  

DON

So I actually did stay at the Radissoon Blu Edwardian Grafton through Princess. As a single - I paid $600 for two nights and breakfast was included. And so were transfers (private from airport and bus to the ship). So I actually thought it was an OK deal. Also - there was a threatened transportation strike which was called off at the last moment but things still were not running as normal. Prices for private transfers were doubled and tripled compared to the norm due to this.

I have mixed reviews about the room. The room was pretty plain but had a great desk with lots of outlets and a US electrical outlet. The bathroom on the other hand was all marble.

The hotel had great service, was in a great location and the breakfast was actually pretty good. I did walk all over from there but when it was pouring rain, I appreciated the Underground station right across the street. After the slight disappointment in the room, I ended up liking the hotel and location quite a bit and would stay here again.

Then prices seem pretty elevated for next year.

Edited by Coral

We have sailed out of Southampton twice. I booked Marriott hotels in London but I see they are showing $500 prices for September 2023. An idea for you is the Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo which shows only $258 a night, either a queen or 2 twin room. If you have a third person it's only $10 more for a sofa bed option. Hampton's include free breakfast and are a good value. This one is located only five minutes walk from Waterloo train station, so you could take the train down to Southampton. Or you could take a taxi to Victoria Station, where Princess usually does their cruise transfer pickups, and use the Princess cruise transfer. 

9 hours ago, Coral said:

So I actually did stay at the Radissoon Blu Edwardian Grafton through Princess. As a single - I paid $600 for two nights and breakfast was included. And so were transfers (private from airport and bus to the ship). So I actually thought it was an OK deal. Also - there was a threatened transportation strike which was called off at the last moment but things still were not running as normal. Prices for private transfers were doubled and tripled compared to the norm due to this.

I have mixed reviews about the room. The room was pretty plain but had a great desk with lots of outlets and a US electrical outlet. The bathroom on the other hand was all marble.

The hotel had great service, was in a great location and the breakfast was actually pretty good. I did walk all over from there but when it was pouring rain, I appreciated the Underground station right across the street. After the slight disappointment in the room, I ended up liking the hotel and location quite a bit and would stay here again.

Then prices seem pretty elevated for next year.

I agree, hotel prices everywhere are elevated for next year. I guess they’ll try to get what they can as people start travelling again. We always book on our own a cancellable rate, and keep watching the prices. Next fall is a long way away.  

If you're interested staying in Westminster, I recommend 2 alternative properties in case Rubens is sold out.

St James' Court on Buckingham Gate and St Ermins on Caxton St. 

Both are in a great location (and a few blocks from each other) with easy transportation ... tube station around the corner, and walking distance to the palace and Parliament. 

Plus there's a great pub down the street. The Albert.

Love their fish and chips. 😋

I understand you want to book everything together, but here's what we did:

Flew to Heathrow two days early, bought tickets on National Express to Victoria Coach Station (I think £12 a piece).

Walked from Victoria about 15 minutes to our hotel The Belgrave, £339 for for two nights for two people, including taxes and a nice continental breakfast. Very nice, small boutique hotel -- walking distance to Westminister and to Pimlico or Victoria tube stations.

Walked back to Victoria, got the National Express -- pre-purchased £10  each. 

Got a taxi in Southampton to the ship -- £8. 

I should mention we are 59 and 66 and reasonably fit, so we enjoy walking and taking the underground.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if we will book with Princess and overpay but have a stress free trip, book and find transfers on our own, or possibly even cancel this cruise for an easier vacation.  I have never flown in the day of the cruise, but that is another option, and if I miss the ship, my insurance should cover the missed days and getting me to the ship.  I don't think there is a prohibition in England about getting onboard in a different port.  Wouldn't want to do it, but none of the options sound great to me.  I was willing to pay the $439 X 2 price ($878) that Princess shows on their website,  but not the $1036.  Decisions, decisions!

23 minutes ago, DaisyRose said:

I'm not sure if we will book with Princess and overpay but have a stress free trip, book and find transfers on our own, or possibly even cancel this cruise for an easier vacation.  I have never flown in the day of the cruise, but that is another option, and if I miss the ship, my insurance should cover the missed days and getting me to the ship.  I don't think there is a prohibition in England about getting onboard in a different port.  Wouldn't want to do it, but none of the options sound great to me.  I was willing to pay the $439 X 2 price ($878) that Princess shows on their website,  but not the $1036.  Decisions, decisions!

Verify those prices with Princess before you make any decisions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

Verify those prices with Princess before you make any decisions.

Thanks Coral, I will.  But I think the prices you listed are probably close to accurate.  I had my TA contact Princess, and he told me a little over $600 which is what you thought.

13 hours ago, DaisyRose said:

go atleast a day early.

does not need to be stressful.

your TA can book your hotel but does not have to be with Princess.

your TA can book your transfer from Victoria Coach Station through Princess.

• Like 1

When I stayed in London after a Princess cruise, I bought a Princess transfer to the Victoria bus station and took a cab to The Rembrandt.    Reasonably priced, nice breakfast and near Harrods.   The Victoria and Albert Museum was across the street.   I don’t remember the nearest metro, sorry.    But the hop on bus had a stop at museum.   Very quiet neighborhood but a trek to the Thames and landmarks there.   

the bus station can be quite hectic and is large, so depending on your age and luggage, it can be difficult but doable.   It seems all the transfer buses arrive at once and it can take a bit to sort out.   

Good luck!