Where to report compromised Credit Cards / Debit Cards wire fraud by (suspected) cabin steward

Robin Hooning

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

With debit cards, which this was, what happens by internet, by card present or card not present are a tangled mess and without asking you would not know.  You would get a like alert in any of these cases.  The bank should immediately be able to tell you the destination of a wire transfer.  

Just so you know you can completely opt out of wire transfers and is a wise thing to do. I don’t use debit cards, wire transfer or any money forwarding services.  These have limitless liability and are not covered by the same strong consumer protections as a true credit card 

"Without asking I would know"   "These have limitless liability" 

What does these comments mean?  

We keep a smaller separate account linked to our debit card in order to manage the risk. 

Just now, ldubs said:

We keep a smaller separate account linked to our debit card in order to manage the risk. 

Just now, ldubs said:

Multiple accounts can help but not as much as you think. I don’t want to tell you the whole mess that I had happened, it is too long and lengthy.  Suffice it to say that doesn’t yield full protection unless each account is listed under separate social security numbers. 

I said without asking you would not know.  (I had to check my post). That is just a fact.  He got a fraud alert, that is for the account, not necessarily for the method of accessing the account.

with a debit card someone can drain your bank accounts, the ultimate result is governed by the bank not the very strong laws which protect you when using a credit card.  The laws are different.  Another gotcha is that business credit cards have no such protections.  People are easily sucked in by those very generous business card offers and hopefully they will never discover the downsides of no protections. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 1:06 AM, Robin Hooning said:

I will not reveal which cruise line for now but this is what happened.

I bring two wallets when I travel. One small wallet - I always carry it with me 100% of times. It has my major CCs.

The 2nd wallet has my backup CCs and bank debit card. This stays home 100% of times and only leaves home when I travel.

Went on a 5 day cruise and just came back.

Day 1: I left the "backup wallet" next to the cabin phone desk. Backup wallet had my bank debit card and Southwest Chase CC.

Day 2: My husband thought it should be out of sight so he put it on the drawer.

Day 3: Before we go on an excursion, I put it in the safe

Day 4: I received "suspicious transactions" email from my bank, CitiBank with my debit card. Someone tried to send money using REMITLY from my debit card. Amount was little more than $1000.

I DO NOT have REMITLY account. Never installed the APP.
Received another suspicious transaction email from Southwest Chase CC with same REMITLY attempt amount little less than $1000.
I logged into my online accounts then marked them as "NOT ME".
Reported this incident to the Chief Security Officer with written statement. He confirmed only cabin steward and a plumber were in our cabin. He would question them but he thought they would of course deny.

Decided NOT TO file police report thinking those two charges were blocked.
Day 5: Arrived home. Called the Citibank and it turned out there were numerous attempts and one transaction over $1k went thru. The bank filed disputed but asked me to file "police report".

The crime happened in California Coast, on the cruise ship. Where should I file this crime?

The crime here - "one transaction over $1k went thru"; and that is a confirmed crime - is not theft and not robbery. It is fraudulent/unauthorized use of a credit or debit card without the cardholder's permission. Under California Penal Code, that is PC Section 484g.The FBI does not get involved in this! The jurisdiction of this crime is from which location it was perpetrated, i.e. was the card fraudulently used from a location somewhere ashore/a port call, or was it used from a computer or telephone from the high seas.   

Security onboard has the ability to perform "lock reads" on cabin door locks/access cards which spits out info as to who/what day/what time that specific cabin door was opened.

If that lock read shows anyone other than the cabin occupants having entered, that does not automatically imply that those individuals, i.e. cabin steward and plumber, are the suspects in this crime. Cabin stewards are in cabins everyday to perform their job. Same with a plumber if he is inside in response to a plumbing issue.

As the SECO stated, an interview, not an interrogation, should have taken place with both individuals and a follow up investigation by him should have been conducted if those interviews developed leads/warranted same. This may include a potential crew cabin/personal property search which requires the authorization of the staff captain who is the SECO's immediate supervisor onboard.

The cruise line's corporate security should also have been placed in the loop. Again, you cannot start accusing crew without concrete evidence of potential illegal activity on their part! That's the purpose of an internal investigation!    

CitiBanks' fraud department has the ability to find out on which day/time/location the card was actually used fraudulently to the tune of an "over $1,000" loss to the cardholder. They should also conduct a follow up investigation.

Go to your local San Jose, CA Police Department station/sub-station and bring the shipboard documentation you are in possession of, as well as CitiBank documentation of the fraudulent use of your debit card, with you. Explain the circumstances to the, more than likely, front desk person is your first start, and request to have a 484g PC incident report filed per the request of CitiBank's Fraud Dept. If they concur, San Jose PD will more than likely not file this as a crime report, rather an incident report, and there will not be a follow up investigation by one of their fraud investigators since this crime did not occur within their jurisdiction. 

Send a copy of that San Jose PD incident report, along with the aforementioned shipboard and CitiBank documentation to the cruise line involved, attention the President/CEO as well as a copy for their chief of corporate security for potential follow-up.

Lastly, please keep your valuables incl. credit/debit cards/wallets, etc. inside your locked cabin safe 24/7 and only remove those bad boys when/if you want to take them ashore for potential use. It is very hard and time consuming for someone else to try to successfully open that cabin safe without the correct combination! Your valuable are "safe" in that safe!

Finally, please consider changing your Cruise Critic user name to anything other than your real name! San Jose Sharks fan would be a good one although they're not doing too well at the moment! Then again, you could be an Anaheim Ducks fan, the bottom dwellers of the NHL 😉 

Good luck to you!

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

As I stated below this post it is a debit card.  A debit card, as you know, is one access point to a checking account.   Alerts for activity are generally muddled.  I have witnessed these confusions in my business dealings.  This is why I have questioned the origin of the fraud, not questioning the OP but that it began with a misplaced debit card.  They basically got a fraud alert about their bank account and concluded it was because they left the card out.   Someone hacking for debit cards could do the same thing online.  So if you shopped with that debit card and that merchant was hacked the fraudster could not instigate a money transfer from your bank account.  The OP may have never done anything errant.  

moral - never use a debit card. 

I'm still not clear about any "wire transfer", but what you describe about the possible "finding" debit cards online (from previous authorized uses, for example) could happen with credit cards, too.

A huge difference, in our minds anyway, is that with a credit card, one simply notifies the card issuer, and they handle it as a dispute (or similar) such that the charge is at least temporarily credited back, and the card holder isn't out any money (unless the card issuer decides against the card holder, which we have found to be almost never... actually never, period, for us anyway!)

IF that had been a debit card (and this did happen once 😱 ) the account could be cleaned out.

That was the last time I used a debit card, almost 20 years ago!

[It was a large charge by phone, and the vendor "claimed" that it was an error and the "cash register kept re-ringing the same charge"  HONK!  Each of the extra charges was a different, and still large, amount.  It was a vaguely sketchy vendor, although one that has gazillions of good reviews... I suppose it was gray market?  I got all my money back (including for the original purchase, which I cancelled immediately upon seeing the extra charges), but it took several days for all of my money to be returned.

Anyway, "NEVER AGAIN" - with a debit card or, separately, any sketchy vendor.  IF we have to place an online order with an unfamiliar vendor, we almost always use Amex.  They tend to be excellent with consumer protections like this.  Er, end rant...!]

So yeah, no debit card, but a credit card can also be compromised.  It's just MUCH easier to fix that if it happens with a credit card!

GC

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

I'm still not clear about any "wire transfer", but what you describe about the possible "finding" debit cards online (from previous authorized uses, for example) could happen with credit cards, too.

A huge difference, in our minds anyway, is that with a credit card, one simply notifies the card issuer, and they handle it as a dispute (or similar) such that the charge is at least temporarily credited back, and the card holder isn't out any money (unless the card issuer decides against the card holder, which we have found to be almost never... actually never, period, for us anyway!)

IF that had been a debit card (and this did happen once 😱 ) the account could be cleaned out.

That was the last time I used a debit card, almost 20 years ago!

[It was a large charge by phone, and the vendor "claimed" that it was an error and the "cash register kept re-ringing the same charge"  HONK!  Each of the extra charges was a different, and still large, amount.  It was a vaguely sketchy vendor, although one that has gazillions of good reviews... I suppose it was gray market?  I got all my money back (including for the original purchase, which I cancelled immediately upon seeing the extra charges), but it took several days for all of my money to be returned.

Anyway, "NEVER AGAIN" - with a debit card or, separately, any sketchy vendor.  IF we have to place an online order with an unfamiliar vendor, we almost always use Amex.  They tend to be excellent with consumer protections like this.  Er, end rant...!]

So yeah, no debit card, but a credit card can also be compromised.  It's just MUCH easier to fix that if it happens with a credit card!

GC

I am not aware of doing a transfer with a credit card.  You can do an in person cash advance with a credit card but not a transfer.  

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am not aware of doing a transfer with a credit card.  You can do an in person cash advance with a credit card but not a transfer.  

Nowadays you can get an "instant loan" from your credit card that "transfers" the $$ by check or direct deposit to a checking/savings account. The OP's bank keeps sending me emails to do this with a "low introductory APR" for 12 months. 

The "by check" is the scary part...

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Multiple accounts can help but not as much as you think. I don’t want to tell you the whole mess that I had happened, it is too long and lengthy.  Suffice it to say that doesn’t yield full protection unless each account is listed under separate social security numbers. 

I said without asking you would not know.  (I had to check my post). That is just a fact.  He got a fraud alert, that is for the account, not necessarily for the method of accessing the account.

Sorry, my mistake..

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

with a debit card someone can drain your bank accounts, the ultimate result is governed by the bank not the very strong laws which protect you when using a credit card.  The laws are different.  Another gotcha is that business credit cards have no such protections.  People are easily sucked in by those very generous business card offers and hopefully they will never discover the downsides of no protections. 

By "limitless liability" you mean potentially up to the account value.  We manage that in our "debit account".    

After reading all of the above, I'm more convinced than ever it is best to let the security team handle things.  

51 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

moral - never use a debit card. 

Genuine question, not trying to poke, as I know you take long trips. If you do not use a debit card, how do you obtain cash while traveling?

I have a debit account set up just for travel (separate bank, not linked to any other accounts) and I fund it with a limited amount of money.

I'd love to manage without cash, but thus far the places I've traveled do require cash now and again.

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Genuine question, not trying to poke, as I know you take long trips. If you do not use a debit card, how do you obtain cash while traveling?

I have a debit account set up just for travel (separate bank, not linked to any other accounts) and I fund it with a limited amount of money.

I'd love to manage without cash, but thus far the places I've traveled do require cash now and again.

Good question.  For us, while we "never" use a debit card, we relax the "never" to be "only while traveling, and only with small amounts available". 😉  That is, the debit card is linked to a secondary checking account that has a rather small balance, just for this purpose. 

We also only use cash machines at actual local banks, not in questionable locations.

And we always specify local currency deduction, NEVER the "dynamic currency conversion for [our] convenience"... and for the great profit of the local vendors!

We've never been on a trip where absolutely no currency was needed/used.

What we've occasionally done was to take a bunch of odds and ends of different currencies left over from other trips, and take them to a currency exchange to get the local currency of the country we are visiting.  Yes, they have awful exchange rates, but otherwise, that money is sitting at home for yet more years (!).  And this saves converting those other currencies *back* to US Dollars, and then in some other country, again converting the US Dollars to the other currency... incurring exchange fees twice.

Fortunately, these cash needs are never particularly large.

GC

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In recent years it is easier and easier to use only credit card, all of my cards are transaction-fee-free.  I have even used credit card for public restrooms. 

For cash. I just grin and bear it.  I bring whatever I have remaining or can swap with my well travelled relatives.  Grin and bear it includes a cash advance on my credit card or dealing with local hotels and banks for their exchange rate.  

as to at home I have a Discover credit card which allows me to take cash with purchase at most grocery stores.  

is it easy? I guess.  I have not had a debit card since they started calling them ATM cards and have had no issues .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Good question.  For us, while we "never" use a debit card, we relax the "never" to be "only while traveling, and only with small amounts available". 😉  That is, the debit card is linked to a secondary checking account that has a rather small balance, just for this purpose. 

We also only use cash machines at actual local banks, not in questionable locations.

And we always specify local currency deduction, NEVER the "dynamic currency conversion for [our] convenience"... and for the great profit of the local vendors!

We've never been on a trip where absolutely no currency was needed/used.

What we've occasionally done was to take a bunch of odds and ends of different currencies left over from other trips, and take them to a currency exchange to get the local currency of the country we are visiting.  Yes, they have awful exchange rates, but otherwise, that money is sitting at home for yet more years (!).  And this saves converting those other currencies *back* to US Dollars, and then in some other country, again converting the US Dollars to the other currency... incurring exchange fees twice.

Fortunately, these cash needs are never particularly large.

GC

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

In recent years it is easier and easier to use only credit card, all of my cards are transaction-fee-free.  I have even used credit card for public restrooms. 

For cash. I just grin and bear it.  I bring whatever I have remaining or can swap with my well travelled relatives.  Grin and bear it includes a cash advance on my credit card or dealing with local hotels and banks for their exchange rate.  

as to at home I have a Discover credit card which allows me to take cash with purchase at most grocery stores.  

is it easy? I guess.  I have not had a debit card since they started calling them ATM cards and have had no issues .

I think it is very true that the need for carrying cash has declined pretty significantly.   I expect we will be cash-less in the not so distant future -- maybe even in my lifetime.  In the meantime, we still carry some cash and have the debit card if needed.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think it is very true that the need for carrying cash has declined pretty significantly.   I expect we will be cash-less in the not so distant future -- maybe even in my lifetime.  In the meantime, we still carry some cash and have the debit card if needed.

In some places it is easier than others. In Northern Europe you can travel almost cash-less. But in other places -- like Italy and Greece -- paying in cash is still desirable where there are a lot of "mom and pop" operations and also as part of the time-honored pursuit in those countries of avoiding or reducing their tax burdens as much as possible.

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona quite a few years ago. My ATM/debit card was taken and sums were run up. I had no liability for those funds and my bank sent me a new card that was received within two days. Funds were also promptly put back in the account. The one thing that was requested -- and I cannot now remember if it was from the bank or from the company for the one credit card that was also stolen -- was a police report. (There is a police station right on Las Ramblas and one could say they must have a LOT of experience filling out those reports...)

Luckily I had left most of my cash, my passport and another (different) credit card in my hotel room.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In some places it is easier than others. In Northern Europe you can travel almost cash-less. But in other places -- like Italy and Greece -- paying in cash is still desirable where there are a lot of "mom and pop" operations and also as part of the time-honored pursuit in those countries of avoiding or reducing their tax burdens as much as possible.

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona quite a few years ago. My ATM/debit card was taken and sums were run up. I had no liability for those funds and my bank sent me a new card that was received within two days. Funds were also promptly put back in the account. The one thing that was requested -- and I cannot now remember if it was from the bank or from the company for the one credit card that was also stolen -- was a police report. (There is a police station right on Las Ramblas and one could say they must have a LOT of experience filling out those reports...)

Luckily I had left most of my cash, my passport and another (different) credit card in my hotel room.

Had a very similar experience in Rome.  The Police station was packed with tourists all there for the same problem.  Also one Nun.  Her satchel was snatched by someone on a scooter. Bad karma for that guy I think.   

26 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Also one Nun.  Her satchel was snatched by someone on a scooter. Bad karma for that guy I think.   

Mamma mia!!  

Those thieves on scooters have their own special name in Italian:  Scippatori.  They're very dangerous because most people have the instinct to grab hold of their bag rather than let it go, and then they can possibly get dragged -- and injured, sometimes badly.

Mainly you find them in Naples. You can read more here.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Mamma mia!!  

Those thieves on scooters have their own special name in Italian:  Scippatori.  They're very dangerous because most people have the instinct to grab hold of their bag rather than let it go, and then they can possibly get dragged -- and injured, sometimes badly.

Mainly you find them in Naples. You can read more here.

I was first warned about this problem back in 1977, while visiting Rome with some dear Italian friends (whom we still visit, but more in northern Italy nowadays).

I would have been totally oblivious.  And because I always use a shoulder bag, it would indeed have been likely to grab 'n drag me.  They recommended that I never use the arm or shoulder near the street, and that it would be best if I always used a side of me that was right next to someone I was with... and remain close.

I *never* forgot that.  It was scary to think about.

In fact, that affected how I walked with almost anything I was carrying (although that was most often a shoulder bag), anywhere.  But yes, especially in Italy.

Our friends have since joked that I learned my lesson well:  I look like I am completely paranoid in the way I hold my shoulder bag.   There aren't any dangling straps, and the purse itself is tightly clamped between the side of my torso and my upper arm.   That's the same no matter where I am... in Italy, another country, or my home town.  🙄

*All* of my bags have some strap or handle that will fit over my shoulder, preferably relatively tightly.  That quickly became automatic, starting in August, 1977. 😉 

GC

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

When we visited my brother in law in Germany we found that the use of plastic is not universal. DW and I were on our own the first day and decided to stop at a restaurant for a strudel and coffee. Came time to pay and I presented my credit card, nope, don't take those (and the waitresses English was about as good as my German). I hadn't had time to get any Euros yet and she was able to let me know there was a bank with an ATM in the village center. So I left DW sitting there (as collateral) and set off to find the ATM. I promptly got lost, but after a while I did find my way to the bank and then back to the restaurant. This was in Warnemunde, which is a cruise stop, so I was rather surprised that plastic wasn't accepted. Now when we land in Europe the first order of business is an ATM (and not a money exchange machine, made that mistake on our first trip over).

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

When we visited my brother in law in Germany we found that the use of plastic is not universal. DW and I were on our own the first day and decided to stop at a restaurant for a strudel and coffee. Came time to pay and I presented my credit card, nope, don't take those (and the waitresses English was about as good as my German). I hadn't had time to get any Euros yet and she was able to let me know there was a bank with an ATM in the village center. So I left DW sitting there (as collateral) and set off to find the ATM. I promptly got lost, but after a while I did find my way to the bank and then back to the restaurant. This was in Warnemunde, which is a cruise stop, so I was rather surprised that plastic wasn't accepted. Now when we land in Europe the first order of business is an ATM (and not a money exchange machine, made that mistake on our first trip over).

I always carry some local currency and if a cruise I have USD in my safe.  I simply use ship services for exchange.  Now before any of you lecture about exchange rates, I understand, but it is usually only a percent above banks and we are not talking 10s of thousands of dollars.  At most I exchange $1000 during a 30 day trip so a total of $10 convenience fee.  Reality is it would be far less exchanged, maybe $20 to $40 a week for those times when a credit card won’t do.  On the way home I save a few for my next trip and the rest are exchanged for chocolate. Small coins go into the Christmas piñata. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sorry you had this experience.  I know that you are now an advocate of a waist wallet which is how I travel.  I am always dismayed to see women still dragging around a large tote on vacation, not only a target but as you mention a danger to your physical safety.   Ladies ditch the purse and gentlemen ditch the back pocket wallet. 

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

LOL about getting lost because with my sense of direction it would have also happened to me. 

I'm sure your wife was worth more as collateral than a cup of coffee and a pastry, but how much do you think they could have got for her? 😊

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I always carry some local currency and if a cruise I have USD in my safe.  I simply use ship services for exchange.  Now before any of you lecture about exchange rates, I understand, but it is usually only a percent above banks and we are not talking 10s of thousands of dollars.  At most I exchange $1000 during a 30 day trip so a total of $10 convenience fee.  Reality is it would be far less exchanged, maybe $20 to $40 a week for those times when a credit card won’t do.  On the way home I save a few for my next trip and the rest are exchanged for chocolate. Small coins go into the Christmas piñata. 

I agree.   For the amounts of cash we normally get while traveling the exchange rate and transaction fees are not worth worrying about.   

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 10:57 AM, ldubs said:

I get a text and Mrs Ldubs gets an email for all charges regardless of size.  Most of the time I hear the text "ding" before I've had time to put my credit card away.  

I get emailed if the card isn't physically present. I love this feature; it's truly helpful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I agree. For the amounts of cash we normally get while traveling the exchange rate and transaction fees are not worth worrying about.   

If you were exchanging AUDs you might think twice 😜. As Americans you're lucky your currency is basically desirable every where so your exchange rates aren't as bad. Unless I am exchanging for USDs, Euros or NZDs I have found converting AUDs to local currency is on average a big loss even for small amounts (two exceptions was NOK and JPY where we got great deals). Now I almost exclusively use ATMs since I get market rates and either no or low fees. With how much I have saved in fees and unfavourable exchanges even if I didn't get reimbursed for a compromised debit card I'd still come out ahead😂

Edited by ilikeanswers

On 12/5/2022 at 11:51 AM, Copper10-8 said:

The crime here - "one transaction over $1k went thru"; and that is a confirmed crime - is not theft and not robbery. It is fraudulent/unauthorized use of a credit or debit card without the cardholder's permission. Under California Penal Code, that is PC Section 484g.The FBI does not get involved in this! The jurisdiction of this crime is from which location it was perpetrated, i.e. was the card fraudulently used from a location somewhere ashore/a port call, or was it used from a computer or telephone from the high seas.   

Security onboard has the ability to perform "lock reads" on cabin door locks/access cards which spits out info as to who/what day/what time that specific cabin door was opened.

If that lock read shows anyone other than the cabin occupants having entered, that does not automatically imply that those individuals, i.e. cabin steward and plumber, are the suspects in this crime. Cabin stewards are in cabins everyday to perform their job. Same with a plumber if he is inside in response to a plumbing issue.

As the SECO stated, an interview, not an interrogation, should have taken place with both individuals and a follow up investigation by him should have been conducted if those interviews developed leads/warranted same. This may include a potential crew cabin/personal property search which requires the authorization of the staff captain who is the SECO's immediate supervisor onboard.

The cruise line's corporate security should also have been placed in the loop. Again, you cannot start accusing crew without concrete evidence of potential illegal activity on their part! That's the purpose of an internal investigation!    

CitiBanks' fraud department has the ability to find out on which day/time/location the card was actually used fraudulently to the tune of an "over $1,000" loss to the cardholder. They should also conduct a follow up investigation.

Go to your local San Jose, CA Police Department station/sub-station and bring the shipboard documentation you are in possession of, as well as CitiBank documentation of the fraudulent use of your debit card, with you. Explain the circumstances to the, more than likely, front desk person is your first start, and request to have a 484g PC incident report filed per the request of CitiBank's Fraud Dept. If they concur, San Jose PD will more than likely not file this as a crime report, rather an incident report, and there will not be a follow up investigation by one of their fraud investigators since this crime did not occur within their jurisdiction. 

Send a copy of that San Jose PD incident report, along with the aforementioned shipboard and CitiBank documentation to the cruise line involved, attention the President/CEO as well as a copy for their chief of corporate security for potential follow-up.

Lastly, please keep your valuables incl. credit/debit cards/wallets, etc. inside your locked cabin safe 24/7 and only remove those bad boys when/if you want to take them ashore for potential use. It is very hard and time consuming for someone else to try to successfully open that cabin safe without the correct combination! Your valuable are "safe" in that safe!

Finally, please consider changing your Cruise Critic user name to anything other than your real name! San Jose Sharks fan would be a good one although they're not doing too well at the moment! Then again, you could be an Anaheim Ducks fan, the bottom dwellers of the NHL 😉 

Good luck to you!

Well said...10-4.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If you were exchanging AUDs you might think twice 😜. As Americans you're lucky your currency is basically desirable every where so your exchange rates aren't as bad. Unless I am exchanging for USDs, Euros or NZDs I have found converting AUDs to local currency is on average a big loss even for small amounts (two exceptions was NOK and JPY where we got great deals). Now I almost exclusively use ATMs since I get market rates and either no or low fees. With how much I have saved in fees and unfavourable exchanges even if I didn't get reimbursed for a compromised debit card I'd still come out ahead😂

Oh, I agree the exchange rate is important.   What I meant to say in my comment is for the small amounts of cash I get while on the road, the difference between a good and bad exchange rate (and transaction fee) is likely to be a small amount.  We do try to follow best practices at ATMs.        

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Oh, I agree the exchange rate is important.   What I meant to say in my comment is for the small amounts of cash I get while on the road, the difference between a good and bad exchange rate (and transaction fee) is likely to be a small amount.  We do try to follow best practices at ATMs.      

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did understand your point I just thought it is interesting how different the US experience is. For you there is little difference between a bad and good exchange rate but for me the gap between good and bad exchange rates is much bigger. If there aren't any bank ATMs around I won't even exchange anything below AU$100 because the exchange rates I experience usually makes the value just not worth it.