Celebration! / Live! / Solo! Dec-4-11-2022...

sid_9169

You can do a trip to SXM for a very good price. Think airfare is highest cost, but Spirit and other budget airlines fly to SXM (so does Delta maybe non-stop from ATL). You can get hotel rooms/Airbnbs for around ~$100-$150 a night but a car rental might be needed for shopping and exploring island purposes. Is a great island to visit for a week, many beaches and the whole French side vs Dutch side aspect makes it a wonderful destination. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Funny thing, when I was on MG, a sister ship to Celebration, I tried out the other bars but kept coming back to Alchemy.  The mixologists are great and I love the vibe.

We have enjoyed the Alchemy Bar, but also the Pig and Anchor bar as well.  On the Horizon we found the Pig and Anchor to be better and not as crowded.  As for the Magic, their Alchemy Bar was terrible.  Staff didn't want to make anything that wasn't on the menu, they had one person who would, but you could almost never even get their attention.  

One of my favorite drinks is a Sidecar, so I am hoping that the one at the Golden Jubilee turns out to be pretty good.  We shall find out in February.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

We have a map with pins in it as well. Black pins are for where we want to go. Maybe the white pins too.  My DH did it😁

world map.jpg

My daughter has one that you scratch off the country you've been to on the map and then on the bottom you scratch off the flag of the country

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

We have enjoyed the Alchemy Bar, but also the Pig and Anchor bar as well.  On the Horizon we found the Pig and Anchor to be better and not as crowded.  As for the Magic, their Alchemy Bar was terrible.  Staff didn't want to make anything that wasn't on the menu, they had one person who would, but you could almost never even get their attention.  

One of my favorite drinks is a Sidecar, so I am hoping that the one at the Golden Jubilee turns out to be pretty good.  We shall find out in February.  

DH and I were on Magic Sept 2021 and I have to agree, it was crowded almost from opening time to closing.  I did get a favorite mixologist who would make me one of my favs Caribbean Manhattan, not on the Alchemy menu any longer but he knew how.  

DH and I will be on Magic this January and it will be interesting to see how it goes with Alchemy🍸

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mopedmom1 said:

Rocky Horror Picture Show...I'll collect the points at sid's party.

After I went back and looked at my flimsy clue, I think it's really impressive you got that.  Did you throw rice and hot dogs, and bring an umbrella?

I saw this movie about 40 times, 40 Friday nights at midnight in a row, at Key Theater in Georgetown on Wisconsin and Prospect.  Those were also my punk rock/new wave years.  Except for the years after my daughter was born, best years of my life.

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A few of the final pieces of the puzzle... The rocks and coral from the beach in St Maarten, and the Magic Spice from Juggies, the smallest bar in the World... All the other customers there raved about it, and said you could put it on everything. I sprinkled a little on some canned butter beans, and it definitely gave it a nice kick...

PXL_20221213_001413085.thumb.jpg.c54f55456e08b618dbff082f17ff29f6.jpg

PXL_20221213_001345351.thumb.jpg.6d3b2e3ff9caca6551bd0407f6ba84e2.jpg

PXL_20221213_001350487.jpg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

After I went back and looked at my flimsy clue, I think it's really impressive you got that.  Did you throw rice and hot dogs, and bring an umbrella?

I saw this movie about 40 times, 40 Friday nights at midnight in a row, at Key Theater in Georgetown on Wisconsin and Prospect.  Those were also my punk rock/new wave years.  Except for the years after my daughter was born, best years of my life.

Wow!!  That's almost a year of Friday nights dancing to the Timewarp Again!!

• Like 2

I also drilled a hole in the wall to hang the little mask from San Juan. Yes, the walls in my apartment are so hard you have to drill a pilot hole... I also finally remembered what they're called: Vejigante, a symbol that goes back to Medieval Spain. something to do with the war against the Moors... Moops!

PXL_20221213_001328193.jpg

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 14
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

A few of the final pieces of the puzzle... The rocks and coral from the beach in St Maarten, and the Magic Spice from Juggies, the smallest bar in the World... All the other customers there raved about it, and said you could put it on everything. I sprinkled a little on some canned butter beans, and it definitely gave it a nice kick...

PXL_20221213_001413085.thumb.jpg.c54f55456e08b618dbff082f17ff29f6.jpg

PXL_20221213_001345351.thumb.jpg.6d3b2e3ff9caca6551bd0407f6ba84e2.jpg

PXL_20221213_001350487.jpg

We got this bottle of Guavaberry liquor in Sint Maarten a long time ago.  Delicious but gone.  Now we can get another bottle!! sorry it's sideways

guavaberry.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I was also a punk rocker / metal kid, but for some reason couldn't get into the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Saw it once at the midnight movie, and that was it... I guess that it's one of those things you have to really participate in to really get into it...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I also drilled a hole in the wall to hang the little mask from San Juan. Yes, the walls in my apartment are so hard you have to drill a pilot hole... I also finally remembered what they're called: Vejigante, a symbol that goes back to Medieval Spain. something to do with the war against the Moors... Moops!

PXL_20221213_001328193.jpg

Easy there, bubble boy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First time for posting. First a lurker, the a follower, now, HERE I AM a poster!! Loved the the review Sid and am afraid of the withdrawl. Love the tribe & their contributions.. Thanks for Seinefeld, Rocky Horror, memes, love it all. Had so much fun.

Edited by eltigre
  • Like 3

Enjoyed the review. One question: what is the appeal of the Big Chicken?  The egg didn’t look like an egg at all.  Does it taste like a Chick Fil A chicken biscuit? I’m surprised to see so many rave over fast food chicken. On the other hand, all varieties of the loaded fries looked delicious!

Welcome home and enjoy the holidays!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, pcrum said:

Enjoyed the review. One question: what is the appeal of the Big Chicken?  The egg didn’t look like an egg at all.  Does it taste like a Chick Fil A chicken biscuit? I’m surprised to see so many rave over fast food chicken. On the other hand, all varieties of the loaded fries looked delicious!

It's not like Chik fil A, but does have a unique quality and crunch. The biscuits could be better, but it's a pretty satisfying sandwich... The lunch sandwiches are great too, and I regret not getting another one... Too many options on the Celebration.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

It's not like Chik fil A, but does have a unique quality and crunch. The biscuits could be better, but it's a pretty satisfying sandwich... The lunch sandwiches are great too, and I regret not getting another one... Too many options on the Celebration.

I agree the breakfast biscuits are not as good as the lunch sandwiches.  To me, it's just that the quality of the chicken sandwich, and as Sid said the crunch, is very good at Shaq's, where I think it's missing at Guy's, and is hit or miss on most Carnival Lido buffets.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 7:31 PM, sid_9169 said:

Oh, about the party at my apartment?... It's still on, but due to inflation I'll no longer be able to provide transportation or lodging expenditures... Date coming soon.

I knew I should have read the fine print. Dang it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hapytobehr said:

Definitely!  and because 7 days will not be enough to check out everything, we already booked the Celebration for March as well!

I hear ya.  We're on her 5 in January, 15 in September and 14 next January.  Will probably book another 14 for later in 2024.  We loved the Mardi Gras, spent 4 weeks on it this year and feel that the Golden Jubilee and Latitudes are upgrades over the Brass Magnolia and the Fortune Teller.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pcrum said:

It's the lunchtime version that people rave about.  Comes in 4 varieties on the Celebration and 5 on the Mardi Gras. No Nashville Hot on the Celebration.   It also comes in white meat, dark meat and grilled.  

Sid had the breakfast version with the egg added on a biscuit.  The lunchtime version comes on a soft roll.  I once got it plain and added the habanero sauce from the Blue Iguana to kick it up a notch.  Many rave over the chicken sandwich at Coco Cay, and I think Shaq's is better.

• Like 1