Wi-Fi Question

Bostwick girl

1. DH enjoys watching TicToc videos, he doesn’t post anything. Can anyone tell me which internet package would allow him to do this? Not sure the Value plan would be enough to support it, so am thinking the Premium plan. Just don’t want to buy more than needed. And before anyone says there’s so much to do on board, etc, he is 77 and uses a mobility scooter due to health issues. We’ve been on 41 cruises so been there, done that. He doesn’t get off the ship much these days and enjoys sitting on the balcony most of the time. I’d like to take advantage of the 10% off sale that ends today, so thank you for your responses!
Edited by Bostwick girl
Added info

I watch a lot of YouTube and I get the premium package. It streams fine, just a tiny bit of lag and waiting a few minutes to start the video works fine. I've used it with success in the past year on MG, Spirit and Pride. I tried Value on Spirit and that lasted 15 minutes before I upgraded in frustration. Hubby only watches FB videos and Social works fine for him. I don't try Netflix as I just download those or Amazon Prime to my tablet before we leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends on the ship.  

Sunshine had great Wi-Fi with premium in September.  

I’m getting value Wi-Fi on Mardi Gras next week because the connection is really good. 

where does this 10 percent discount come from?  

Does this reflect a discount after you add to the shopping cart?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

Has anyone ever used Facebook messenger on the ship? What level of wifi did you purchase? We will be at sea on Christmas day and was thinking of using messenger to get ahold of family back home. 

We have used Facebook messenger often with the basic plan,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, audcc77 said:

where does this 10 percent discount come from?  

Does this reflect a discount after you add to the shopping cart?

I think OP was referring to the Cyber Monday deal. You could get 10% by getting 2 wifi packages or an excursion and wifi. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2022 at 6:02 PM, EngIceDave said:

For some strange reason, TikTok needs a ton of data. I can easily play YouTube videos but have TikTok lag and buffer.

At the very least you'll need the premium, but even then it may lag and drag

Which internet package did you buy for youtube?  My grandson has Autism and loves to watch youtube videos so I'm wondering which package to buy.  

This is going to be a long shot I think, but what the heck...I'll ask!

Does anyone or has anyone tried any remote applications using the Premium WiFi package? I am referring to TeamViewer, RemotePC, AnyDesk, or Zoho Assist programs??  

As hard as I have tried I just cant get away without working while on the ship...one of the drawbacks to being a business owner.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 4:02 PM, JFletcher32 said:

This is going to be a long shot I think, but what the heck...I'll ask!

Does anyone or has anyone tried any remote applications using the Premium WiFi package? I am referring to TeamViewer, RemotePC, AnyDesk, or Zoho Assist programs??  

As hard as I have tried I just cant get away without working while on the ship...one of the drawbacks to being a business owner.

Not me personally, but I have read about college kids that spend a lot of time cruising.  They take online classes and do their classwork/homework before lunch and enjoy the rest of the day/evening.

• 10 months later...
1 minute ago, xxyyzz said:

Is it better to use Verizon's daily Travel Pass ($10 per day) or sign up for Carnival's WI-FI with the discount?

You should double check to make sure but I don't think Travel Pass is good while on the ship, it's only good when ashore. So if you need internet access while on the ship, that answers that question.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xxyyzz said:

Is it better to use Verizon's daily Travel Pass ($10 per day) or sign up for Carnival's WI-FI with the discount?

Travel Pass is only while in port; you would turn off airplane mode and you get 24 hours based on your cell plan.  Just don't forget to go back to airplane mode when leaving port.  If you buy the wifi, make sure its before Dec. 8 when the prices go up.  image.png.25a0d0bff887a0d0546c123324f7ed09.png

3 minutes ago, saltwater_soul said:

with the Wi-Fi plans, does each device need a plan, or can I switch between devices?  (myself, my husband and both kids are going on a cruise next week- can we get 2 plans and share them between the 4 devices?)

thanks!

You can switch. One device per plan at a time, but unlimited devices.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saltwater_soul said:

with the Wi-Fi plans, does each device need a plan, or can I switch between devices?  (myself, my husband and both kids are going on a cruise next week- can we get 2 plans and share them between the 4 devices?)

thanks!

Only one device can use the plan at a time. As long as your family can "pass the baton" and share the plan with one person having access at a time, you can share one plan. Or say you and your husband share one plan, and your kids share one plan. That would allow two concurrent connections.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, john1238 said:

Wife and I will be on a cruise in 24 and wondered if we both had our phones would we be able to text each other in case we are at different locations on the ship?

There's a $5 messaging service you can buy that'll let you do that through the Hub app. To me, it is worth it. I hadn't used it during my previous cruises but my last cruise I got it to try it out and it was great. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 3:32 PM, xxyyzz said:

Check out Verizon's web page for international travel. They have a $20 cruise ship plan for 50MB of data. Between that, the free wifi available in ports and the $10 travel pass, you might come out cheaper depending on your anticipated usage. At least it does for my upcoming cruise. But it's just me. If people are sharing, it will likely be cheaper to get an internet plan from Carnival.

27 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Check out Verizon's web page for international travel. They have a $20 cruise ship plan for 50MB of data. Between that, the free wifi available in ports and the $10 travel pass, you might come out cheaper depending on your anticipated usage. At least it does for my upcoming cruise. But it's just me. If people are sharing, it will likely be cheaper to get an internet plan from Carnival.

50MB of data is basically nothing. $20 for that little amount of data is offensive. You would be better off buying a 24 hour pass of the Value wifi onboard for basically the same price.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mz-s said:

50MB of data is basically nothing. $20 for that little amount of data is offensive. You would be better off buying a 24 hour pass of the Value wifi onboard for basically the same price.

Like I said, it depends on what a person needs the access for. If just checking email a couple times during the cruise, then this might be better than paying for a daily rate a couple of times.