Princess Insurance question with Platinum status

swdke

Hi, I'm in the process of booking a cruise with Princess and I have a question regarding Princesses Insurance.  I understand Princess offers a Standard Insurance and a Platinum Insurance.  We also have Platinum status.  According to what I read on the Captain's Circle benefits, Platinum passengers can purchase the Princess Standard Insurance and receive the Platinum Insurance benefits.

Is this true?  And if so, do I tell my travel agent I want the Standard or Platinum Insurance?  I'm new to Platinum status and trying to figure this out.

Actually, the travel agent originally listed me for Standard Insurance.  When I inquired about the Platinum benefits she changed my reservation to show Platinum Insurance but now the cost is higher.  I've not paid the deposit yet and would like to get this settled before making the deposit.

Appreciate any and all help.  Thanks.

Yes if you’re platinum or elite level with Princess as far as number of cruises then there is no additional cost for the platinum insurance vs the standard level. Ask your travel agent to correct it before paying your deposit. 
Many use the Princess protection insurance including us and consider it to be adequate especially given the cancel for any reason provision that allows you to cancel without meeting typical rules for canceling like illness or death in the family. Using the CFAR clause does mean payment to you in form of future cruise dollars and not cash. Also it does include coverage for your flight cost assuming you book flights thru easy air (Princess). 

• Like 3

“Good” depends on whether it meets your needs. You have to read the policy and be clear about what it covers. 

If you are asking whether it pays claims, then yes it does pay valid claims with appropriate documentation. It can be a slow process.

Always good to get insurance, you never know what could happen. Anything from falling and breaking an arm to an ear infection to kidney stone, etc. We always book the Princess insurance and thankfully haven't had to use it so far. The Platinum coverage is great and basically makes the amounts covered larger, and as Elite (or in your case Platinum) we get it for the price of Standard coverage which is nice. When you book it the system should recognize your status and automatically charge you only the Standard price. 

We are Platinum level as well and ALWAYS take the Platinum coverage (paid for at standard rate.)  It has saved us on 2 occasions.  Doing so gives us a comfort level as far as protecting us in regards to travel-related issues.  In addition to this we have annual medical coverage from GeoBlue Trekker that covers us while out of the country since Medicare does not cover us for international medical issues.  Thankfully we have never had to actually *use* the GeoBlue coverage but it would be a real lifesaver should we ever need it.  Medical evacuation from another country is outrageous.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We are Platinum level as well and ALWAYS take the Platinum coverage (paid for at standard rate.)  It has saved us on 2 occasions.  Doing so gives us a comfort level as far as protecting us in regards to travel-related issues.  In addition to this we have annual medical coverage from GeoBlue Trekker that covers us while out of the country since Medicare does not cover us for international medical issues.  Thankfully we have never had to actually *use* the GeoBlue coverage but it would be a real lifesaver should we ever need it.  Medical evacuation from another country is outrageous.

Medical evacuation in travel insurance means hospital-to-hospital transfer if you need a higher level of care. It does not mean they will fly you directly or immediately to the US to the hospital of your choice. There are membership associations like MedJet that will transfer you after initial hospitalization, but the typical travel policy will provide for appropriate care locally and fly you home by commercial air when you are able to travel.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Medical evacuation in travel insurance means hospital-to-hospital transfer if you need a higher level of care. It does not mean they will fly you directly or immediately to the US to the hospital of your choice. There are membership associations like MedJet that will transfer you after initial hospitalization, but the typical travel policy will provide for appropriate care locally and fly you home by commercial air when you are able to travel.

You are correct...I was aware of this but I did not want to bog down my previous response with such detail.  I figured that if anybody was intrigued enough by what I said that they would investigate on their own.  My main point was to get across the point that Medicare DOES NOT COVER YOU outside the US.  You'd be surprised at how many people are not aware of this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sailaway5 said:

Does the Princess Platinum coverage cover medical expenses incurred on a Private Tour in one of the ports.   Or does the insurance only cover medical expenses on Princess Ship Tours?

Yes. Though you will need to pay for it upfront and then submit expenses later.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Thank you for the quick response.   I asked this question because a few years ago I was told that the Princess Insurance did not cover you if you were on a Private Tour.   I tried to find the info in their policy terms, but couldn't find anything.   I used to buy a separate policy to ensure we had coverage.    So I am happy to see that you are covered.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:47 AM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

If you travel a lot you should check into an annual travel policy to save money.  I think Travel Guard is a common carrier.  We have used the Princess insurance and have had to file a claim before.  I like to have travel insurance.

I have carried a Travel Guard annual business traveler policy for years, can book online, only $518 for 2.  Does not cover the cost of cruise but does provide emergency medical and evacuation plus routine travel insurance benefits.   I have never had to use.  My DH and I are on Medicare so important to have some medical coverage. Now with Covid, and a family member with major health issues, I also book Princess coverage for the cancel for any reason.  

7 hours ago, sailaway5 said:

Thank you for the quick response.   I asked this question because a few years ago I was told that the Princess Insurance did not cover you if you were on a Private Tour.   I tried to find the info in their policy terms, but couldn't find anything.   I used to buy a separate policy to ensure we had coverage.    So I am happy to see that you are covered.

I though buy a separate policy on a lot of my cruises as $20K medical on Princess is not much.

As long as the private tour is during the cruise days, it will be covered.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:47 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

If you travel a lot you should check into an annual travel policy to save money.  I think Travel Guard is a common carrier.  We have used the Princess insurance and have had to file a claim before.  I like to have travel insurance.

Agree on the annual policy.  I have one through AIG. And it has served me well on several occasions - especially such as in March 2020 when I got stuck in a foreign country and my cruise home was cancelled.  I encountered a lot of out-of-pocket expenses to get home.  AIG paid.  Up to now I have never taken the cruise line insurance and figure that after 50-some cruises I have saved quite a bundle.

However, I have a very expensive cruise booked for 2024.  I checked into the insurance offered by Princess to protect the cost of the cruise and found that much of the other coverage duplicated what my annual policy already provides. I then checked the insurance offered by big box and found the insurance I needed for about half of what the Princess-affiliated company was offering.

As with anything, especially travel-related, it pays to put the pencil to it.

It is important to pay attention to the cost of the Princess coverage. It is SUPPOSED to automatically give you the Platinum coverage for the Standard price if you are Ruby or higher status. However, for ONE of my past few cruise bookings, the automation worked for me, but not for DH. We have been on identical cruises, have identical status and it worked for all the others. For some reason, that one cruise, it gave us both Platinum coverage, but charged him the Platinum price and charged me the Standard price. I had to call Princess to get it fixed. So, always carefully review the costs you are being charged.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 6:39 PM, Coral said:

I just talked directly to a Princess Agent and was informed that their insurance does NOT cover you if you are on a private tour or "on your own" in a foreign port.   You are only covered off the ship if you are on a Princess sponsored tour.    So I will continue to buy an outside policy for medical coverage.

Cheers,

Carol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sailaway5 said:

I just talked directly to a Princess Agent and was informed that their insurance does NOT cover you if you are on a private tour or "on your own" in a foreign port.   You are only covered off the ship if you are on a Princess sponsored tour.    So I will continue to buy an outside policy for medical coverage.

Cheers,

Carol

Correction!   My Princess Agent called me back and checked again with a Senior Supervisor.  She said you are indeed covered for medical issues even if you are on a private tour or on your own in any foreign port during the duration of your cruise.     I am sorry for posting the mis-information...... But very happy to know the Princess Insurance covers us on private excursions etc.  

Cheers,

Carol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sailaway5 said:

Correction!   My Princess Agent called me back and checked again with a Senior Supervisor.  She said you are indeed covered for medical issues even if you are on a private tour or on your own in any foreign port during the duration of your cruise.     I am sorry for posting the mis-information...... But very happy to know the Princess Insurance covers us on private excursions etc.  

Cheers,

Carol

It is always good to cover your bases. I still carry a 3rd party coverage as Princess's medical is mediocre as far as coverage goes.

Glad they called you back and corrected their mis-statement. Good follow up by that employee.

• Like 2