When does purchasing a Cheers package become economical?

BarbieGee

9 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @JustAPilot🙂

Are you certain you used the drink calculator correctly for a 7 day sailing? I put into the calculator the drinks you stated & came out with these results (below). Drink package is costing you $166 more.

20221215-130800.jpg

Drink Package Calculator located @:

https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/

Who ever buys Cheers on board @64.95?

44 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Who ever buys Cheers on board @64.95?

I pointed out a ($166 difference) to a member without the pre-purchase discount in my example. No need to begin a dissection. Plenty of disection occur on these message boards already, Ad Nauseum.....Don't add to it. The example and the difference are too insignificant.

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

I pointed out a ($166 difference) to a member without the pre-purchase discount in my example. No need to begin a dissection. Plenty of disection occur on these message boards already, Ad Nauseum.....Don't add to it. The example and the difference are too insignificant.

If you're going to do a price comparison, it makes logical sense to use the correct pricing, which is 5.00 a day plus 18% less than what you quoted.  Since nobody pays on board pricing and those that are savvy save another 10% by using gift cards, bringing the daily price down to 54 a day plus 18%.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, cindysu said:

Maybe the ship wasn't so busy but we had GREAT service by having the cheers package.  Glasses of wine waiting for us at dinner, bottled water handed out at every order, tons of olives in the martinis, refills without asking, etc. 

lol, so true!  

On one of our pre-COVID cruises we were a group of nine friends.  Five of us had Cheers and four didn't.  We had YTD and on the second night we had such a great MDR service crew that we asked for them nightly thereafter.  Not only did they bring us bottles of sparking and still water to enjoy in the MDR "and some more to take back to the room," but we'd hear this from the table waiter:  

"Bill, your friend over there looks mighty thirsty."  

"Okay, fine.  Put his on my Cheers; I won't be getting to fifteen."    🙂  

Now THAT's some good service! 

It's okay to share Cheers around if the wait-staff is enabling it, right?  😄  

On 12/1/2022 at 10:55 AM, 1kaper said:

https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/

Specialty coffees are included. 

That's a cool little calculator. Thanks for posting it.

So I used it and it said I'd only save about $20 bucks with pre-purchase price. 😢

🤔 I wonder if I'd save more if I added the drinks after breakfast each day. 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Newbies? Last minute shoppers? It might not be many but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it happens.

The numbers have to be miniscule.  Of course there are blue cards that think the trays of fun ship specials that are offered on Lido on embarkation day are included.

10 hours ago, Pellaz said:

"Bill, your friend over there looks mighty thirsty."  

"Okay, fine.  Put his on my Cheers; I won't be getting to fifteen."    🙂  

Now THAT's some good service! 

It's okay to share Cheers around if the wait-staff is enabling it, right?  😄 

If that waiters boss heard him, his butt would be in a sling.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The numbers have to be miniscule.  Of course there are blue cards that think the trays of fun ship specials that are offered on Lido on embarkation day are included.

Maybe, but some people do purchase onboard for any number of reasons (in the past it was probably to use up a big chunk of OBC but now we can use OBC before the cruise so that reason has evaporated, although there may be some that don't know that and still stick to the old way).

I am confused when people have to keep mentioning 15 drinks. If I am correct, anything over six cocktails is a bonus with the cheers package. A couple years back we were on a cruise (not carnival), and found a bar that was offering buy one get one free drinks. This saved us quite a bit of money as we were at the bar before and after dinner each night. (Not sure how much we saved, as we were tipping quite a bit.)

Has anyone come across a carnival bar that offered a BOGO?

Edited by Beachfrog
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

While you may be right, there's a ton of cruisers exhibiting financial behaviors that some of us would cringe at. I'd bet we'd all be surprised how many people change their mind once they're aboard. When you look at the price of Cheers, that $5 per day become negligible.

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

While you may be right, there's a ton of cruisers exhibiting financial behaviors that some of us would cringe at. I'd bet we'd all be surprised how many people change their mind once they're aboard. When you look at the price of Cheers, that $5 per day become negligible.

Let's be honest, there are a ton of people in this country exhibiting financial behaviors that some of us would cringe at, but so what? It's their money. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 5:07 AM, sparks1093 said:

Let's be honest, there are a ton of people in this country exhibiting financial behaviors that some of us would cringe at, but so what? It's their money. 

Likewise, there are a ton of people that think finding $5/day cringe-worthy is a likely indicator that the cringers should maybe consider spending their money on something other than cruising and boozing, yeah?