Price Rises: Gratuities, Wifi, Medallion Shipping 🤑💰

Jadn13

Just now, Flyinby said:

They're headed the wrong direction by doing this.  One of my gripes about Princess and its associated lines is the cheapskate bottle of water they leave on the stateroom desk, which, if you open without reading, costs you.  For drinking water.  

And wi-fi?  Maybe in 2020, but now that it's a basic, which even the lower grade hotels mostly provide for free, they raise the price?

The increase for Plus doesn't affect me, since I don't drink, but if you have one drinker and one non-drinker in a stateroom, they BOTH have to get the plus if one wants it.  It's already ridiculous at $1000, now it will be more?  Throw in $10 to ship the medallions, which were their idea in the first place, even more so.

I suppose choice is good...one can always book an inside cabin, do without wi-fi, and tell them not to deduct any gratuities, but after experiencing cruise lines where most basics are included...wifi, drinks with meals, shore excursions, gratuities, and they hand out bottles of water as if they were...well...water..., this latest news just makes it less likely I'll be checking Princess when looking for cruises.  So it costs a bit more, but not being nitpicked for every cent while on the cruise makes it worth it to me.

Actually it is pretty similar on line Princess competes with NCL, Celebrity, HAL, RCL. The differences is that many of those items the cost is less. Now one can go with  more inclusive line such as Vikung or Oceania where a cabin would cost 2 to 3 times as much.

Let's see $100 per day per person for an inside on Princess vs $300 per day on Oceania. Can buy quite a bit ala carte with that difference. Add in things like fcd obc, veterans obc and shareholder obc and the difference gets even more.  Yes, without a package some things cost but often one is spending Princesses own money for them (obc).

Really too funny when people say that they are going to change lines over a few dollars, when most other choices will cost them far more.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I've re-read that flyer multiple times and each time have more questions.

The "crew  appreciation" also goes up on Dec. 14. So are those of us with current Plus packages covered for the new amounts or will we have to pay the difference?

We have   32 day and  53 day cruises booked for 2023,2024,  both with

plus packages.so   every little  "nibble" as someone wrote,  adds up to a big bite.

I  asked our TA, who is one of Princess' top agents and even she can't get a straight answer.

Yes. Your current Plus package will cover the crew appreciation. 

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

Shelly,

Any chance you have a citation for this?

I’m not Shelly but I found this on the file about the new packages that ceilidh1 sent out in post 209

The last photo highlights where it says the increase is for bookings made after   Dec. 14.

90B07501-C3F5-4949-A6D3-13E218FAF45F.png

67048DC2-E17C-4228-B89E-46BCB8CADB51.jpeg

Edited by chamima
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

See the highlight in the post made above (#229).  In addition I confirmed this information with the VP of Sales. 

@Shelly97060 - When you spoke to the VP of sales did you happen to find out anything about the drinks portion of the package? If they raise the prices (as it appears they plan to) the $12 limit of the package we have booked has a MUCH diminished value from what it was when we purchased it. 

Edited by chamima

33 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Actually it is pretty similar on line Princess competes with NCL, Celebrity, HAL, RCL. The differences is that many of those items the cost is less. Now one can go with  more inclusive line such as Vikung or Oceania where a cabin would cost 2 to 3 times as much.

Let's see $100 per day per person for an inside on Princess vs $300 per day on Oceania. Can buy quite a bit ala carte with that difference. Add in things like fcd obc, veterans obc and shareholder obc and the difference gets even more.  Yes, without a package some things cost but often one is spending Princesses own money for them (obc).

Really too funny when people say that they are going to change lines over a few dollars, when most other choices will cost them far more.

Nobody said anything about changing cruise lines over a few dollars....and Princess isn't my "exclusive" cruise line anyway.  For certain situations, it works out fine, but more often the experience and the destinations matter more, and I'd rather those, or drinking water, or wifi, and so on aren't "extras".

Example: 3 of the six rooms we have booked on an upcoming cruise have one person in the cabin that would like drinks...in one, the wife is pregnant, in two others the second person is under age, so that's a total of $3000 spent for "extras" because of their policy that just one can't buy the plus.  Now they're raising that, so I don't see that as much of an improvement, and will no doubt look elsewhere if the situation comes up again.

Do I want a cheap basic rate and a bunch of upgrade fees, or a line where excursions, drinks, wifi and customer care are included, and there is no "Premier" class or other such nonsense?  Do I want a deluxe suite at a Motel 6, or should I just book at a nicer hotel to begin with?  We all have choices, I know which mine is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Flyinby said:

Nobody said anything about changing cruise lines over a few dollars....and Princess isn't my "exclusive" cruise line anyway.  For certain situations, it works out fine, but more often the experience and the destinations matter more, and I'd rather those, or drinking water, or wifi, and so on aren't "extras".

Example: 3 of the six rooms we have booked on an upcoming cruise have one person in the cabin that would like drinks...in one, the wife is pregnant, in two others the second person is under age, so that's a total of $3000 spent for "extras" because of their policy that just one can't buy the plus.  Now they're raising that, so I don't see that as much of an improvement, and will no doubt look elsewhere if the situation comes up again.

Do I want a cheap basic rate and a bunch of upgrade fees, or a line where excursions, drinks, wifi and customer care are included, and there is no "Premier" class or other such nonsense?  Do I want a deluxe suite at a Motel 6, or should I just book at a nicer hotel to begin with?  We all have choices, I know which mine is.

there certainly have been people that have talked about leaving Princess for any number of minor price changes or other relatively minor changes.

As the saying goes you get what you pay for and Princess is pretty much the least expensive of it competition. If you pay motel 6 rates do not expect 4 seasons service.

if you want all inclusive then book it, Princess is not and never has been  But at the same time expect a cost structure twice that of Princess or more.

I sail on most of the lines and even on the other mass market lines, all of which are similar ala carte lines with packages their costs tend to be higher with the same basic pricing philosophy.

Edited by ldtr

Regarding the Wi-Fi/MeallionNet discount for the Princess Platinum and Elite members, I received inconsistent information. According to the Captain's Circle member benefit terms and conditions, "MedallionNet Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio". However, when I chat with a customer service rep, she said I should be able to see a 50% discounted price in the MedallionApp for Wi-Fi packages.

Can anybody who did it recently help clarify what the current process is for purchasing Wi-Fi package and receive the discount?

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, syymisc said:

Regarding the Wi-Fi/MeallionNet discount for the Princess Platinum and Elite members, I received inconsistent information. According to the Captain's Circle member benefit terms and conditions, "MedallionNet Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio". However, when I chat with a customer service rep, she said I should be able to see a 50% discounted price in the MedallionApp for Wi-Fi packages.

Can anybody who did it recently help clarify what the current process is for purchasing Wi-Fi package and receive the discount?

Thanks in advance!

I ordered on the app today and it was 50% off.  Didn't get an email confirmation,   UT did buy it and it shows on my voyage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ldtr said:

I’m not sure that the fallout will be changing lines (for the reason you state) but instead might be a precipitous drop in the percentage at people who buy packages. I know that for me, there is no way I will buy a package that departs from any domestic port where bringing on my own wine is convenient. It was stated here that 75% of passengers are booking packages. I have no way of confirming that. But I can’t help thinking that the recent changes will make the lower end package (Plus) much less attractive. I really think that they need to keep the $50 Plus with gratuities, drinks and Wi-Fi and if they want to, add a middle level with desserts and spin classes. (Kind of oxymoronic if you ask me). And top it off with the Premium package. But eliminating the “Three For Free” level of Plus will prove to be a mistake. I am certain of this. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

the computer can easily be set up to record Plus-50 or Plus-60 and charge overages as appropriate.

You would think so, but then noting is easy for Princess IT.  Or perhaps they have their good IT resources on projects like ship systems and the D team is handling the MC App.  Who knows?

51 minutes ago, syymisc said:

Thanks in advance!

Princess regularly forgets/overlooks/doesn't bother, etc, to update their various FAQ's and other sales/brochure type information on the website as conditions change.

Originally, the MC/Princess App had no logic to recognize CC Member Level and apply a discount, so the process was to pay full price and receive 50% back as refundable OBC on board. 

The App has been updated to check Member Level and apply the discount if eligible.  In this case, the OBC is not required.  That said, there has been ongoing data bugs with many guest profiles such that the App is not reflecting their correct Member Level and thus prevents the App from allowing the 50% discount at point of purchase.  In these situations, any record not fixed means the guest has to get the OBC.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

I’m not sure that the fallout will be changing lines (for the reason you state) but instead might be a precipitous drop in the percentage at people who buy packages. I know that for me, there is no way I will buy a package that departs from any domestic port where bringing on my own wine is convenient. It was stated here that 75% of passengers are booking packages. I have no way of confirming that. But I can’t help thinking that the recent changes will make the lower end package (Plus) much less attractive. I really think that they need to keep the $50 Plus with gratuities, drinks and Wi-Fi and if they want to, add a middle level with desserts and spin classes. (Kind of oxymoronic if you ask me). And top it off with the Premium package. But eliminating the “Three For Free” level of Plus will prove to be a mistake. I am certain of this. 

I think you may be right.  Princess will find out soon enough if a significant segment of guests stop booking the fare packages.

I am even more determined than you about bring on my own wine.  I found a good selection in a wine bar in Civitavecchia in October.  There was a range of wines and prices.  I would say that there is no retail type store in the downtown/port area (not sure about further away).  I had expected to find more retail options, but anything decent is in a wine bar.  Some of them were charging prices like being there as a patron instead of like a store-front operation.  There was plonk type wine in a nearby grocery store.  A couple of other stores had very limited selections. 

I would try this place:  Enoteca Cavacini, which is on Via Gorizia, behind the cathedral.  Also, when returning to Rome from Sicily for our final voyage on Island, I came across a wine store in the airport terminal.  It was in Terminal 1 concourse and seemed like a Duty Free type place.  I was in a hurry, but I thought they had a decent selection and pricing was fine - not outrageous for airport.  Ah ha!  I believe it was Aelia Duty Free by Gate 61.   (I went with it because I knew the Enoteca was closed being a Sunday and I thought I did fairly well at Aelia).

Of course, there are often opportunities in ports to stock up if not starting with enough.  My needs were modest this trip as wife was not drinking much at all.

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, syymisc said:

Thanks in advance!

yes, I have been able to buy internet at the 50% discount using the medallion app.

However, my account, and many others have had a problem where the app was not reflecting the correct captain's circle status. In which case the discount does not show up.

If you do not see the discount, look at the logo on your profile picture. if it is not the correct color than you also have the problem with it not reflecting the proper status. The logo of mine was blue, until I got the problem corrected. it now shows the proper status, black, and the discount are available.

10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Apologies if this has been posted previously - it gives a little more detail. Mentions an increased drink price (does that mean drinks are going up again) under the packages. Also mentions that the desserts are NOT the new ice creams they have been advertising. Four juices available at a juice bar? I didn't know Princess had a juice bar. I find it confusing where it says the new prices are in effect for bookings from Dec 14th for sailings in February - not that I'm planning on doing it, but if I booked on Dec 15th for a cruise in late January, I would pay the increased price but get none of the benefits? What????

pp.docx 5.36 MB · 43 downloads

No doubt there will be guests looking for rebates or credits.  I am thinking they aren't going to be fully ready with the new desserts and juice bars before February?  Maybe they will come up with something else to offer guests who have already booked the new plans.  Shouldn't be very many people booking after Dec 14 and sailing before Feb. 

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

yes, I have been able to buy internet at the 50% discount using the medallion app.

However, my account, and many others have had a problem where the app was not reflecting the correct captain's circle status. In which case the discount does not show up.

If you do not see the discount, look at the logo on your profile picture. if it is not the correct color than you also have the problem with it not reflecting the proper status. The logo of mine was blue, until I got the problem corrected. it now shows the proper status, black, and the discount are available.

Thank you for the helpful info. Yes I do have the same problem of not having my circle status properly reflected on the MedallionApp. How did you get your problem corrected? 

Edited by syymisc

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I am thinking they aren't going to be fully ready with the new desserts and juice bars before February? 

My question is:  Are the premium desserts all totally new or are they taking what has been a number of "free" desserts and will charge for them if you do not buy one of the packages?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess regularly forgets/overlooks/doesn't bother, etc, to update their various FAQ's and other sales/brochure type information on the website as conditions change.

Originally, the MC/Princess App had no logic to recognize CC Member Level and apply a discount, so the process was to pay full price and receive 50% back as refundable OBC on board. 

The App has been updated to check Member Level and apply the discount if eligible.  In this case, the OBC is not required.  That said, there has been ongoing data bugs with many guest profiles such that the App is not reflecting their correct Member Level and thus prevents the App from allowing the 50% discount at point of purchase.  In these situations, any record not fixed means the guest has to get the OBC.

Thanks for this information. Very helpful. In our case, we will try to get our MedallionApp fixed first before purchasing the Internet packages.

28 minutes ago, syymisc said:

Thank you for the helpful info. Yes I do have the same problem of not having my circle status properly reflected on the MedallionApp. How did you get your problem corrected? 

I used the chat function on the Princess web site. The person was able to fix it during the session, others have not been as successful.