Any thoughts on the changes coming to Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages coming 12/14

bladerunner6

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I'm with @caribill on this and yourself is doubtful as well.  I don't see this situation as any different when fares increase.  Guests do not have to immediately pay their cruise in full to avoid a fare increase.  Plus and Premier are cruise fare options.  

What will happen is Dec 14 and forward, if a guest wants to re-fare to take advantage of a new promo (such as B.S.E.), they are going to be paying the new pricing for Plus or Premier.

Yep

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I'm with @caribill on this and yourself is doubtful as well.  I don't see this situation as any different when fares increase.  Guests do not have to immediately pay their cruise in full to avoid a fare increase.  Plus and Premier are cruise fare options.  

What will happen is Dec 14 and forward, if a guest wants to re-fare to take advantage of a new promo (such as B.S.E.), they are going to be paying the new pricing for Plus or Premier.

I agree - I would assume that you would be fine with what you paid for too! Though some of the wording in this rollout has been ambiguous at best - like if I book on December 15th and pay $60 for Plus but my sailing is end of January, I'm paying more for what? I'm also bitter about being charged for a service that doesn't apply to me (Medallion shipping to Canada). Rant over. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I agree - I would assume that you would be fine with what you paid for too! Though some of the wording in this rollout has been ambiguous at best - like if I book on December 15th and pay $60 for Plus but my sailing is end of January, I'm paying more for what? I'm also bitter about being charged for a service that doesn't apply to me (Medallion shipping to Canada). Rant over. Sorry.

I just took a look at a March 23 cruise-14 days- plus package is at $50 per day.

Will compare on December 15 th. 

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Has Princess informed you - or anyone - that now that there is a shipping charge, they still only ship to USA?  Since there is a fee now, I really don't see the excuse not to mail to Canada.

(Based on our experience this Fall in Europe, I don't see the big deal about waiting to check-in to get a Medallion).

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Has Princess informed you - or anyone - that now that there is a shipping charge, they still only ship to USA?  Since there is a fee now, I really don't see the excuse not to mail to Canada.

(Based on our experience this Fall in Europe, I don't see the big deal about waiting to check-in to get a Medallion).

Yup - the fine print says shipping to US only

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dog said:

I just took a look at a March 23 cruise-14 days- plus package is at $50 per day.

Will compare on December 15 th. 

Sorry - I should have been more clear. My confusion is that new pricing goes into effect December 14th for sailings after Feb 20th. So what if you book after Dec 14th but sail before Feb 20th? Not that I'm planning on it, but someone might!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billco said:

We've decided Princess Cruises isn't worth it any longer.

Without the package it's not really that much more of an increase. 

I do  suspect that many people will sail without purchasing the package & that might lead to an increase further down the road.

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I do  suspect that many people will sail without purchasing the package & that might lead to an increase further down the road.

Or perhaps they will see that $40 then $50 then $60 was a bridge too far 🙂

May be an image of 1 person and text

I definitely see where the confusion lies in this - I assume the pre-pay to keep the current rates is referring to the gratuities, but I absolutely see why you might think it refers to the package in general, since that is what the email is all about....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Or perhaps they will see that $40 then $50 then $60 was a bridge too far 🙂

I can't speak for the majority but I certainly did. 

I lived without all the extras for many years so nothing will change in the future without a package. 

• Like 3

Between the hassle of getting in touch with Princess to get the lower rate and it only being a modest savings we passed on the Plus package.

We did pay for the gratuities and WiFi before the rates went up.

Thank you to everyone that gave constructive input.

Edited by bladerunner6
  • Like 1

Depending on the type of room you book, the pencil to paper comes pretty close.

Mini is $17pp a day

Internet is $10pp or 50% for Elite, 

1 drink package $70.79. The total is $124.79 a day for 2. Elite would be $104.79 for 2.

If you don't drink $70.79 a day, of course it's a better deal to go Standard. I do like my beers, specialty coffee and water. I probably do come close to making the drink package worth while. My wife doesn't drink much, except coffees, waters and a Billini or 2 at dinners. 

A port intensive cruise would make the package not worthwhile if we planned to get off on every stop.

3 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Depending on the type of room you book, the pencil to paper comes pretty close.

Mini is $17pp a day

Internet is $10pp or 50% for Elite, 

1 drink package $70.79. The total is $124.79 a day for 2. Elite would be $104.79 for 2.

If you don't drink $70.79 a day, of course it's a better deal to go Standard. I do like my beers, specialty coffee and water. I probably do come close to making the drink package worth while. My wife doesn't drink much, except coffees, waters and a Billini or 2 at dinners. 

A port intensive cruise would make the package not worthwhile if we planned to get off on every stop.

You have the new CI price for a Mini-Suite, but you quoted the old MedallionNet price.  It is going to $15/day for single device.

I am not sure I follow the logic above.  Plus is now $60/pp/day.  Take out $32 or $24.50 per day for fixed costs.  The balance is your drink portion ($28 or $35.50).  Each couple needs to decide if they drink $56 or $71 (combined) worth per day. 

The cost of the separate drink package in the Personalizer is immaterial in my mind since it has been over-priced for marketing purposes.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I am not sure I follow the logic above.  Plus is now $60/pp/day.  Take out $32 or $24.50 per day for fixed costs.  The balance is your drink portion ($28 or $35.50).  Each couple needs to decide if they drink $56 or $71 (combined) worth per day. 

I don't see $32 fixed cost - are you including WiFi as a fixed cost? To me WiFi is of no value, especially for port intensive cruises. So that would be $60-$16*2=$88 per couple. 

• Like 1