Skagway - White Pass railway excursions - which one?

PennStateMom

There are several White Pass railway excursions listed that are currently on sale.  I actually booked an excursion on the railway last spring during another sale, but the number of excursions were limited.  My current excursion is simply "White Pass Scenic Railway".  At the time, the cost was less than it is now with the 35% cyber discount.  But now I'm seeing several other Railway excursions.  The one I booked is still the most expensive, but is only the round trip railway.  There is another that is actually cheaper that is for Goldrush Sled Dogs and White Pass Train.  Is there any advantage to taking the train round trip versus getting off for the additional features of the sled dogs, etc.?   Is there additional scenery on the way back that is "don't miss"?  Thanks!

My first choice for the excursion had been sold out, but I was able to get my second choice – Railroad, Suspension Bridge, Jewell Flower Gardens.  The RR was very good; the suspension bridge less so.  

Lunch at the Jewell Gardens was included.  The lunch was disgusting.  Choice of salmon quiche or veggie quiche.  Rhubarb crap for dessert.  And the gardens, I found very unimpressive!  We bailed out on this tour early, and caught a $2 pp bus ride back to the ship.

We have taken the WP&YRR several times.  We have also driven one of our own vehicles into Skagway and also rented a vehicle for the day when there on a port call.  If our OP is asking whether the road portion is less scenic than the train my response is that I don't think so.no.  The train tracks were blasted out of cliff faces along one side of a valley and the road is essentially on the opposite side of the same valley,   There are several places where the road diverges, but the road and train  run parallel in a number of places.  

The ride up is the same as the ride down but you might see something you missed.  If there is an opportunity to do the VIP car, I would consider that.  I don't know if X offers it, though.  It has limited capacity if they do, so it might already be sold out.

• 11 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We have taken the WP&YRR several times.  We have also driven one of our own vehicles into Skagway and also rented a vehicle for the day when there on a port call.  If our OP is asking whether the road portion is less scenic than the train my response is that I don't think so.no.  The train tracks were blasted out of cliff faces along one side of a valley and the road is essentially on the opposite side of the same valley,   There are several places where the road diverges, but the road and train  run parallel in a number of places.  

I am still confused about the train that Celebrity offers in Skagway.  Maybe you can help.  Where exactly do you turn around to come back to Skagway?  Fraser?  Carcross?  I know I want to do train/bus combo but how far into Alaska or Canada does Celebrity offer?

You’ll only go a few miles into Canada. Get off the train at the station at Fraser and pick up the bus there to take you back to the ship. 
They prepare the bus manifest at Fraser then the bus driver hands it in at the US immigration/customs post at the roadside. Passengers don’t need to get off the bus.

Try and get a seat on the left hand side of the bus, you will then look across to the railway side of the valley.

Edited by zanderblue

I took the bus up to Fraser then the WP&YR railroad back down.  I booked it through a Chilkoot Tours.  I wanted to take the tour that goes past Lake Bennet all the way to Carcross in Yukon Territory but I was a week early and it hadn't opened yet.  I'll have to save that one for the next time I'm in Skagway.  

As other have pointed out, you get two different views of the canyon as well as a chance to stop to take picture on the bus.

• Like 1

End of May 2023 my wife and I took the train up (Fraser), and then the bus up to Carcross, Caribou Crossing, and a stop at Emerald Lake. Then the bus back down. Lunch at Caribou Crossing was barbecue chicken (I think vegetarian option was available) doughnuts, corn, bread, baked potato, and a few other things. It was quite edible for buffet style excursion food, doughnuts were Canadian style (I think) and fresh fried and still warm. They have sled dogs and the option to get pulled by the dogs on training cars (extra$). They also have rescue puppies you can play with. Pretty neat little museum there also (was included for us, as was lunch). We had a wonderful guide and driver, stopped quite a bit for photo ops. Scenery on the way back was worth it, as a little different view in some areas, and we even saw a bear from the bus. We may have even enjoyed the extended bus trip more than the train, which is unusual for me to compliment a large bus type excursion. You will need a passport if doing this though, as you do cross into Canada. I assume passport cards would also be acceptable, but I would verify this and not rely on my assumption. This was a Princess excursion, but from what I have seen the other cruise lines have the same excursion using the same companies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

End of May 2023 my wife and I took the train up (Fraser), and then the bus up to Carcross, Caribou Crossing, and a stop at Emerald Lake. Then the bus back down. Lunch at Caribou Crossing was barbecue chicken (I think vegetarian option was available) doughnuts, corn, bread, baked potato, and a few other things. It was quite edible for buffet style excursion food, doughnuts were Canadian style (I think) and fresh fried and still warm. They have sled dogs and the option to get pulled by the dogs on training cars (extra$). They also have rescue puppies you can play with. Pretty neat little museum there also (was included for us, as was lunch). We had a wonderful guide and driver, stopped quite a bit for photo ops. Scenery on the way back was worth it, as a little different view in some areas, and we even saw a bear from the bus. We may have even enjoyed the extended bus trip more than the train, which is unusual for me to compliment a large bus type excursion. You will need a passport if doing this though, as you do cross into Canada. I assume passport cards would also be acceptable, but I would verify this and not rely on my assumption. This was a Princess excursion, but from what I have seen the other cruise lines have the same excursion using the same companies.

Did the same trip at the end of August this year,  except bus up and train down.

Fantastic excursion, even at the c.$260 Princess charged.  Scenery on the bus was outstanding, riding on the outside platform of the train carriage exhilarating.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 5:07 PM, bEwAbG said:

The ride up is the same as the ride down but you might see something you missed.  If there is an opportunity to do the VIP car, I would consider that.  I don't know if X offers it, though.  It has limited capacity if they do, so it might already be sold out.

I did the VIP the Solstice in September. Worth every penny. Free drinks and the lunch was outstanding. We were pampered all day. They only take 14 people and we had a private guide. The soft, comfortable chairs were outstanding. We have also don the round trip and it was wonderful. The VIP is over the top, worth it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nijh said:

Did the same trip at the end of August this year,  except bus up and train down.

Fantastic excursion, even at the c.$260 Princess charged.  Scenery on the bus was outstanding, riding on the outside platform of the train carriage exhilarating.

In late May there was quite a bit of snow and ice. Actually caught some very light snow flurries on the outside platform near/over the summit. Boring for some, but quite neat for a native Floridian who only sees ice and precipitation in the frozen form in his freezer and drinks.

Had enough OBC on that trip Princess mailed me a check back for $300. And I did a pretty good number on their Caymus Cabernet at $8 a glass with the premier package

Edited by RedIguana
  • Haha 1