Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

2 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

I agree with many of the points made in the video. For example, Mr. Dillinger's assessment that the ship should not have sailed with so many venues unfinished is totally legitimate.  I also agree that it was wrong for Princess to be so opaque about the issues they were seeing in the weeks and months leading up to the inaugural sailing, which resulted in many would-be passengers being left in the lurch.  However, some of the other things in the video are not as clear-cut for me.  I realize it isn't necessarily a popular viewpoint, but I actually don't mind SOME of the upselling.

For one thing, I think people romanticize the days before Princess and other lines offered drink packages. For the most part, though, I think the drink packages are a major improvement over the previous system.  I hated having to sign a receipt for every drink and cross-check every receipt for every single person in our room. I really hated trying to mentally keep track of what everyone was spending on drinks, too...who wants to waste valuable time obsessing over the bill on a cruise?  Drink packages and technology upgrades have put an end to all of those inconveniences for me. I pay up front. There are no receipts, and no nasty surprises on the bill at the end of the cruise that send me down to guest services at 2AM on disembarkation day trying to get the problem solved.  I don't miss those days. In any event, no one is forced to get a drink package.  If you don't drink, or prefer to buy your drinks the old-school way (one at a time, a la carte), you can still choose to do that.  Why bash the cruise line for offering this as an alternative, or disparage your fellow passengers who choose this option?

I also don't mind upselling for dining and (at least in some cases) entertainment. Most of the big draws on newer ships, including the Sun, are the unique dining and entertainment venues. Every cruise line adds such venues to compete with its peers for market share. If paying passengers didn't want this, Icon of the Seas and other state-of-the-art cruise ships with the newest, splashiest spaces would not be largely sold out for the first two years after launching. It costs money for the cruise line to add these venues, and they aren't big enough to accommodate every passenger.  If they were free to everyone, how would the cruise line be able to manage demand?  You can see that charging for these venues does that.  Just look at the number of passengers who were champing at the bit to get into the 30-seat Spellbound theater until they found out it would cost $149pp. Some people will still want to pay, but many others will not. Maybe someone who can't see paying $149pp at Spellbound is perfectly comfortable paying $149pp for dinner at Love by Britto. Or maybe they really enjoy wine and would prefer to spend $140pp at the Caymus wine dinner.  And of course there are customers who are perfectly happy eating at the MDR or the buffet.  Either way, charging for the specialty venues largely solves the demand problem for the cruise ship, and it provides a bunch of new, exciting options for those who are willing to pay for them. What's wrong with that?  There are plenty of activities on the ship that are free. Every passenger can choose to pay as much or as little as they'd like to have access to whichever of these venues interests them. 

I know a lot of people will say that the quality of food in the buffet and MDR has declined, and that this has been done purposely to drive people toward the specialty venues.  I think that may be partially true.  At the same time, I think as ships have gotten bigger and inflation has gotten worse, it simply isn't cost-effective for cruise lines to provide the same level of quality in those areas without charging substantially more for the cruise fare.  I suppose they feel like people who really hate the MDR and the buffet can choose to pay more for better food.  It's the same model that budget airlines use when they charge a bargain-basement price for a very spartan onboard experience (e.g., no free drinks, no free carry-ons, extra fee to choose your own seat).  People complain about getting nickeled-and-dimed by these budget carriers, but if the model was that unpopular, Spirit and other low-cost/no frills airlines would have gone out of business long ago.  You can always choose an airline that charges a higher cost right up front but won't nickel-and-dime you over the small stuff. Similarly, if what you really want a high-end cruise experience with great food in the MDR, where you aren't charged extra for drinks or other add-ons, you can always consider a luxury cruise line.  You'll pay more up front, but at least you'll know what you're getting and won't have to worry about being expected to pay more for every little thing while you're onboard.

The bottom line is that each consumer has a choice.  No one has to pay for anything they don't want. But it's up to you to do your research and to know what is included and what is not. If you want to pay extra, great.  If you don't, great. What's right for one person may not be great for another.

At the same time you've got to remember that some of those flaunted things that are included in their packages were once included for their elite passengers. It's a slap in the face for many of their dedicated customers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Realistically, no CEO is going to want to answer questions about a product still being finished.

Not only that, today everyone is a social media "star".  If the CEO started sitting down with every YT poster with 1,000 followers to discuss pressing issues, he'd have to do that 2,369 times on this one cruise alone.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, 555 said:

At the same time you've got to remember that some of those flaunted things that are included in their packages were once included for their elite passengers. It's a slap in the face for many of their dedicated customers. 

Which things?  I am elite.  I don't recall any specialty dining or entertainment venues or free Sanctuary chairs being included for elites. In fact, elite benefits for Princess have been far inferior compared to the equivalent benefits on other lines IMO.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Anything for views and clicks.  Legend in his own mind. 

YouTube is Dillinger's revenue. He probably writes off cruising, hotels, airfare as a business expense.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-do-youtubers-make#:~:text=YouTube creators who are part,and %2429.30 per 1%2C000 views.

IMG_0558.png

Edited by DHP1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I would have to agree with Nasa1964.  There are a minority of folks that are reserved in a mini suite or above that would  be concerned with whatever benefits their cabin entitles them to.

I see your point, but starting new, content-specific threads is a proven losing strategy here.  The newly created thread continues to drift to pages 2 or 3, and has 11 posts, only 2 of which are substantive with the remainder being posts cheering on the new thread in hopes that it will prove valuable.  Far more information about what is and is not included is and will continue to be found here.  Same thing happened with the "Photos and Videos of Sun Princess" separate thread.  Which has more photos and videos, that separate thread, or this one? That thread has drifted to page 5. In a perfect world, the roles would reverse, but as I noted, separate threads prove to be a losing strategy here. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slee_Stack said:

On Sun now, lounging in the dome. There's been plenty of hiccups, but ultimately it's been a positive experience.  I'm new to Princess though so I had no expectations.

20240306_170840.jpg

Welcome to CC and thank you for your comment.

Any observations you may have,  others would appreciate it, I’m sure.  TIA

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 555 said:

1 hour ago, CatMom72 said:

Which things?  I am elite.  I don't recall any specialty dining or entertainment venues or free Sanctuary chairs being included for elites. In fact, elite benefits for Princess have been far inferior compared to the equivalent benefits on other lines IMO.

We are also Elite and have been cruising for 50+ (😳🥸) years.

None of the things in our Plus package ( drinks, wifi, gratuities) have ever been included in our cruise fare - except for room service and even that has improved with the Medallion since i can now, for the first time ever, get a cappuccino  or a glass of wine delivered to my cabin.

And, as far as Princess Elite benefits being equivalent to what we get on other lines - that is subjective. We find the Princess benefits a better fit for our needs. (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the unlimited laundry for our longer cruises!!)

Edited by chamima
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, 555 said:

Not too sure what was flaunted for the Sun Princess or even in the packages  that were given to elite passengers and taken away but wifi minutes.  And unlimited/free dining at a place like Alfredos has been a charge venue for everyone but did they promise extras for the Sun?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chamima said:

We are also Elite and have been cruising for 50+ (😳🥸) years.

None of the things in our Plus package ( drinks, wifi, gratuities) have ever been included in our cruise fare - except for room service and even that has improved with the Medallion since i can now, for the first time ever, get a cappuccino  or a glass of wine delivered to my cabin.

And, as far as Princess Elite benefits being equivalent to what we get on other lines - that is subjective. We find the Princess benefits a better fit for our needs. (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the unlimited laundry for our longer cruises!!)

I do like the free laundry. 😄 And of course I added the “IMO” tag to my post because you are right…the value of any benefit is totally subjective.  That is the point I was making in my original rant above: to each his (or her) own. What one person thinks is the best thing ever might just be “meh” for someone else.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dides said:

Some fantastic views from the aft glass elevator plus the Wake View Terrace and the Infinity Pool. Credit: Tammy W

May be an image of ocean

May be an image of 1 person and ocean

May be an image of 2 people

May be an image of pool

dides

Thank you so much for the awesome photos and very useful information you have been providing since the beginning of this thread.

It has been truly wonderful.

We have heard that those two elevators are for the suite folks that have Signature benefits so they can easily access the ship and Signature Lounge.

Hoping someone can confirm in the near future.

Thanks again.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Not too sure what was flaunted for the Sun Princess or even in the packages  that were given to elite passengers and taken away but wifi minutes.  And unlimited/free dining at a place like Alfredos has been a charge venue for everyone but did they promise extras for the Sun?

This is very true. And really, even the WiFi minutes haven't been taken away - you can still get your half price on WiFi if you are traveling without a package so that option is still available. One can complain that the price has gone up - but no benefit has been taken away from Elite passengers. It is still a savings if you want to use it.

I feel really sorry for people on the Sun who are having a less than promised experience related to things they should have expected to have - like the entertainment and park. And certainly it is really awful for the poor people who had flooded cabins.

But equating any of those issues with the idea that anything is being taken away from Elite guests, or any passengers for that matter, makes no sense really - specialty dining charges, packages, wifi charges, etc. are the norm across the industry now. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CaptainKirk said:

dides

Thank you so much for the awesome photos and very useful information you have been providing since the beginning of this thread.

It has been truly wonderful.

We have heard that those two elevators are for the suite folks that have Signature benefits so they can easily access the ship and Signature Lounge.

Hoping someone can confirm in the near future.

Thank you for the kind words @CaptainKirk  As I mentioned earlier, the elevator photos were taken by someone in an ordinary stateroom on deck 10 who just happened to notice these elevators on day 7 of her cruise. So they must be open to all for the lower decks at least. They are also needed to provide access to the accessible staterooms on 10-14 that sit between them. 

Edited by dides

3 minutes ago, dides said:

Thank you for the kind words @CaptainKirk  As I mentioned earlier, the elevator photos were taken by someone in an ordinary stateroom on deck 10 who just happened to notice these elevators on day 7 of her cruise. So they must be open to all for the lower decks at least. They also needed to provide access to the accessible staterooms on 10-14 that sit between them. 

Hi dides,

Thanks again for the awesome information.

I certainly hope as you say the two elevators are available to all as we have an accessible cabin near the elevators and hope to use them.

If not we might need to start dressing nicer and sneak unto those elevators with the Signature Suite folks. LOL.

Thanks so much again.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, 555 said:

Not really. The overlap with benefits is with the purchase of packages, not the purchase of suites.

18 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

packages also reduces value of minibar in addition to internet.

Can everybody just take a breath?

Y'all are fighting and snarling at each other like little wolves, and it's becoming increasingly harsh! Ask @c-boy, there have literally been days where I've had to stop reading due to anxiety from members having a go at each other. Let's remember that we all (I think) share a common love of cruising, that should bind us, rather than trying to tear each other down, or get the best insults. Peace , love and brussels sprouts my friends!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, Joe Gib said:

Far less harsh than claiming this is the guys source of income. You’d have to the assume that he purposely booked himself on dates he hoped would get cancelled so he could somehow monetize that. 

He was actually claiming that his YouTube channel was the source of income was what I got, but either way...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Exactly, the free minutes the elites use to get are now replaced with a discounted package, hoping that people will buy into it.

What about the medallions being shipped for free but included with the package unless you want to stand in line getting on the ship?

Lets not forget the unlimited lunches in Alfredo's, now limited to two, although I don't think they promised that as included on the Sun.

Hi Folks,

Can we please keep this thread focused on the Sun Princess cruise ship and not on

1. YouTubers

2. YouTubers motives

3. YouTubers income

4. RCCL ship schedule

5. Stock prices

We are here to find important information on the Sun Princess cruise ship and have found many of the posts and photos very informative.

if you rather discuss the above can you start a different thread.

Thanks for understanding.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Anything for views and clicks.  Legend in his own mind. 

YouTube is Dillinger's revenue. He probably writes off cruising, hotels, airfare as a business expense.

And this is why I’ve chosen not to watch the videos with negative titles. Balance in your reviews and delivery draws people to you. I’m guessing this is why JP approached the passenger onboard, and I’m sure she’s not the only one. But she did mention that a fellow passenger not knowing who he was told them to move… no excuse me… Just would you move. 😂 Who was that. 😂😂😂

Edited by SouKnoMe
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

No, but lets not pretend its some kind of altruistic attempt at sharing info. He absolutely is trying to monetize his videos, that is why you ask people to subscribe. Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is. Personally, I find it funny that people make videos to make money complaining about companys trying to make money .. but captitalism!

Especially when he started threads across platforms as well as the “follow here for first views” days  before the ship was to sail. There is money to be made and I applaud the time and effort. I just don’t like the negative titles for clicks. 

So would this sailing had been considered a shake down had the ship maker not been delayed?  I think the major mistake was choosing a maker who had never built a ship of this magnitude. Should have chosen a more experienced shipyard. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chamima said:

They had a room like this outside of Alfredos on the Sapphire.

(Which, BTW, is looking better and better the more I see of the Sun)

That's why they have vanilla and chocolate.  Some prefer to sail on the newest ships,  which really shouldn't be judged until after the kinks are out after a few months, while others like yourself prefer to sail on a 20 year old ship. 

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Can we please keep this thread focused on the Sun Princess cruise ship and not on

1. YouTubers

2. YouTubers motives

3. YouTubers income

4. RCCL ship schedule

5. Stock prices

We are here to find important information on the Sun Princess cruise ship and have found many of the posts and photos very informative.

If you rather discuss the above can you start a different thread.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, CaptainKirk said:

Hi Folks,

1. YouTubers

2. YouTubers motives

3. YouTubers income

4. RCCL ship schedule

5. Stock prices

If you rather discuss the above can you start a different thread.

Please post photos and your own commentary on the ship then.

Thanks.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2