Britannia Christmas 2022 Goes Live!!!!!!!

Megabear2

35 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

By water in tins do people mean cans like coke , if not Can someone post a picture of the water in tins.

Just like the plastic bottles but metal friggings round the top/neck when you open them and £2 each unless on the drink package 

Hi Megabear. Nice to hear from you. We are in a deluxe balcony! We had dressing gowns last Christmas on Azura because I remember they disappeared pdq the night before our exit!! We also had water in bottles then. Not to worry. We have managed as you do! Our flight is the first to leave the ship on Friday so let’s hope that happens! Enjoy the rest of the trip.

1 hour ago, pennib said:

Hi Megabear. Nice to hear from you. We are in a deluxe balcony! We had dressing gowns last Christmas on Azura because I remember they disappeared pdq the night before our exit!! We also had water in bottles then. Not to worry. We have managed as you do! Our flight is the first to leave the ship on Friday so let’s hope that happens! Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Hope you didn't get too wet today - out balcony is flooded. If you are deluxe can't understand why no dressing gown, certain we had them before.  We did have to ask in 2020 but since our deck 15 deluxe experience we won't book deluxe cabins unless they're on deck 12 and far removed from the deck noise.  Saying that we have been serenaded for the past hour from drunken Liverpool football fans three doors down from us. .not sure if you've met these delightful characters yet but security had words with them at the party outside the night before last.  

I've not used the cans of water as none were free, I bring two refillable.bottles and have ice delivered so they make cold drinking water, tastes just the same.

The flights are a worry, hope all is better going back for you.  At least we did get our PE and not the horrendous Spanish A330 on the first Gatwick flight.

Incidentally met a lovely Irish couple on the beach today who are on the Norwegian ship.  They were left in New York onboard for 2 days without any reason given, missed two islands and have subsequently learned Norwegian couldn't get any fuel for the ship!  Compensation was $60 and 10% of their next cruise.

You really wonder what the hell is happening.

Enjoy the last formal night, I'm hoping for an upgraded menu as the food really is disappointing me!  Oh look, there goes Dumbo and a herd of flying pigs!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Saying that we have been serenaded for the past hour from drunken Liverpool football fans three doors down from us. .not sure if you've met these delightful characters yet but security had words with them at the party outside the night before last.  

I have to say, MB, that the more I read about your cruise, the less and less likely I am to ever book a Christmas cruise !

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

I have to say, MB, that the more I read about your cruise, the less and less likely I am to ever book a Christmas cruise !

This is my 10th Christmas Cruise and sadly by far the worst.  Over the years there are in my experience always some "difficult" customers on P,&O ships in particular but unfortunately this cruise has rather more than normal.  I'm not the type to be fazed by these people but as the cruise continues you can't help but notice them.

We dined with a nice couple last night who told us their Christmas dinner was ruined by being sat on a table with a family dressed in track trousers with a shirt and tie.  Apparently the miscreant was heavily inebriated as well.  Despite complaining and asking to be seated elsewhere they were told no other seats were available as it was a full seating due to everyone being issued a dining time. Subsequent complaint on leaving the restaurant early left to the maitre de informing them that "not everyone owns a suit and as it's Christmas they should live and let love!  An official complaint has now been made.

The problem appears to not be the fact it's Christmas more the lack of a wish to stop these people and the love and let live theme is definitely running through the ship.  Latest problem was at 2.00am this morning when an announcement called staff to attend an incident on Deck 15.  It was described as an "incident" rather than coded or a medical emergency so we are guessing a guest problem.

It's not helping the ship has run out of draft beers in all bars except Crows Nest as many are turning to spirits rather than bottled beers.  

I know I get told not to judge people's drinking by my OH but the mixture of sun, heavy drinking and some dubious individuals is very bad news.  Even my OH is finding these people a strain to deal with. Don't get me wrong we've met some very nice first time cruisers too.  Incidentally the average price for a balcony late booking seems to have been £2000 each and the insides £800

My OH has asked me to cancel our Arvia cruise next year and find something else. Speaks volumes unfortunately...

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

This is my 10th Christmas Cruise and sadly by far the worst.  Over the years there are in my experience always some "difficult" customers on P,&O ships in particular but unfortunately this cruise has rather more than normal.  I'm not the type to be fazed by these people but as the cruise continues you can't help but notice them.

We dined with a nice couple last night who told us their Christmas dinner was ruined by being sat on a table with a family dressed in track trousers with a shirt and tie.  Apparently the miscreant was heavily inebriated as well.  Despite complaining and asking to be seated elsewhere they were told no other seats were available as it was a full seating due to everyone being issued a dining time. Subsequent complaint on leaving the restaurant early left to the maitre de informing them that "not everyone owns a suit and as it's Christmas they should live and let love!  An official complaint has now been made.

The problem appears to not be the fact it's Christmas more the lack of a wish to stop these people and the love and let live theme is definitely running through the ship.  Latest problem was at 2.00am this morning when an announcement called staff to attend an incident on Deck 15.  It was described as an "incident" rather than coded or a medical emergency so we are guessing a guest problem.

It's not helping the ship has run out of draft beers in all bars except Crows Nest as many are turning to spirits rather than bottled beers.  

I know I get told not to judge people's drinking by my OH but the mixture of sun, heavy drinking and some dubious individuals is very bad news.  Even my OH is finding these people a strain to deal with. Don't get me wrong we've met some very nice first time cruisers too.  Incidentally the average price for a balcony late booking seems to have been £2000 each and the insides £800

My OH has asked me to cancel our Arvia cruise next year and find something else. Speaks volumes unfortunately...

Don’t  blame you - sounds dreadful.

Go on Aurora or Arcadia instead maybe ?

smaller and never rowdy in my experience.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 5

Aurora had no issues in the Caribbean a few years ago at Christmas, but this was a longer holiday, round trip from Southampton. Nor has she on the colder ‘more cultural’ Scandinavian city Christmas cruises we’ve been on. 

Sadly, the larger ships, at cheaper prices, attract the party boozers, and I will be staying away from these.  

We’ve been looking at alternatives now to P&O, due to  their new marketing attracting the booze drunk party brigade.  We have one more cruise booked with P&O on Aurora, in May, and depending on how it goes, it may be our last.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Aurora had no issues in the Caribbean a few years ago at Christmas, but this was a longer holiday, round trip from Southampton. Nor has she on the colder ‘more cultural’ Scandinavian city Christmas cruises we’ve been on. 

Sadly, the larger ships, at cheaper prices, attract the party boozers, and I will be staying away from these.  

We’ve been looking at alternatives now to P&O, due to  their new marketing attracting the booze drunk party brigade.  We have one more cruise booked with P&O on Aurora, in May, and depending on how it goes, it may be our last.

Same experience with me.

15 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Agree - what alternatives have you found ?

Saga was good for us but expensive.

Marella Explorer 2 has been good but only fly cruise.

Ambassador fits well for us but ship seems a bit broken ! Maybe the newer one will be better.

I’ve got 2xAurora 2023 late august and early December.

Edited by paulatsea

35 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Same experience with me.

Ambassador fits well for us but ship seems a bit broken ! Maybe the newer one will be better.

We’re looking at Viking at the moment, short, sometimes one way, flights.  The ships are small, generally quiet, loads of quiet indoor & outdoor seating areas. Food from reviews and blogs I’ve read is several notches ‘up’.  Little entertainment on shorter port intensive cruises, but we rarely go to the P&O shows.   I think some service levels are struggling with post covid staffing, so keeping an ear on that, hopefully it’ll be rectified, as many companies are struggling with staff recruitment.  Expensive, they are, but once we take into account the new high prices on Aurora and all additional expenses, they’re not much more, for higher quality.   If we didn’t have Aurora booked in May, for a combined anniversary/late birthday for us, we were going to book Viking.   We like interesting ports, quiet sea days, good food.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

We’re looking at Viking at the moment, short, sometimes one way, flights.  The ships are small, generally quiet, loads of quiet indoor & outdoor seating areas. Food from reviews and blogs I’ve read is several notches ‘up’.  Little entertainment on shorter port intensive cruises, but we rarely go to the P&O shows.   I think some service levels are struggling with post covid staffing, so keeping an ear on that, hopefully it’ll be rectified, as many companies are struggling with staff recruitment.  Expensive, they are, but once we take into account the new high prices on Aurora and all additional expenses, they’re not much more, for higher quality.   If we didn’t have Aurora booked in May, for a combined anniversary/late birthday for us, we were going to book Viking.   We like interesting ports, quiet sea days, good food.  

Thank you .

I’m rapidly reaching the conclusion that cruising with P&O is no longer for us. Ten years ago the negatives were pretty minor, but as the years have gone by they’ve increased to such a point that they now outweigh the positives - for us at least.

Travelodge and Premier Inn have different price points, and when PI came along we ditched Travelodge altogether. Too many downsides for the price saving, and a clientele which contained a very noticeable minority whose behaviour was frankly appalling. 

P&O seems to be taking the Travelodge route. I prefer not to.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Same experience with me.

We’re on SAGA at the moment and have friends on Ventura doing the same cruise but a week ahead of us, what they paid for a deluxe balcony plus drinks package,WiFi, specialty restaurants etc. is only a couple of hundred less than we have on here. Unlike P&O there are no shortages of anything on here drinks, food or staff can’t find fault at all. Can’t wait to use all our credit/compensation up on P&O then that’s us done with them. 

We would rather do a couple of cruises less each year and receive 5 star treatment than the 2 star offering from P&O

• Like 3

At least they made some sort of effort to be smart with a shirt and tie. Maybe they relax it a bit more since It is Christmas. I guess staff can tell if a person will cause trouble and it’s better if they do not cause more problems. 

Reports from others on the ship have said it’s been fine. Always mixed reviews and two sides to a story. Someone can say something it might not even be true who knows.

When people compare other cruise lines to P&O you simply can’t they are all different. 

Edited by carlanthony24

5 minutes ago, Mollag said:

We’re on SAGA at the moment and have friends on Ventura doing the same cruise but a week ahead of us, what they paid for a deluxe balcony plus drinks package,WiFi, specialty restaurants etc. is only a couple of hundred less than we have on here. Unlike P&O there are no shortages of anything on here drinks, food or staff can’t find fault at all. Can’t wait to use all our credit/compensation up on P&O then that’s us done with them. 

We would rather do a couple of cruises less each year and receive 5 star treatment than the 2 star offering from P&O

Exactly my wife’s view. No point in a cheaper cruise if it’s not enjoyable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

At least they made some sort of effort to be smart with a shirt and tie. Maybe they relax it a bit more since It is Christmas. I guess staff can tell if a person will cause trouble and it’s better if they do not cause more problems. 

Reports from others on the ship have said it’s been fine. Always mixed reviews and two sides to a story. Someone can say something it might not even be true who knows.

When people compare other cruise lines to P&O you simply can’t they are all different. 

As a veteran of 50 plus cruises on P&O and other lines I think I can truthfully report if the product is as good as it previously was.  I have not at any pointed compared this cruise with cruises I take on other lines (I will do a comparison between all my 2022 cruises when I get home).  I am a big supporter of P&O but there are major cracks appearing which are mentioned by other on other ships and cruises too.

I did not welcome having a drunken football supporter grabbing hold of me and leering repeatedly into my face that his team had won as occurred on Boxing Day - neither did the other people who rapidly left that area of the pool deck and either relocated or left completely.  I can assure you this is not a fabrication, I have no need to lie and hope that those on these boards are mainly aware I tell things as they are with no room for fabrication.  Clearly what others find acceptable is not what I am the majority affected by these minority do.

The lady who had her Christmas spoilt was almost in tears yesterday as she recalled it.

Finally I have friends met on board Britannia last Christmas boarding Saturday.  They sent us an email this morning saying they have been reading bad reviews on this and the previous Britannia cruise and were they true.  Thats nothing to do with me as I havent spoken to them since being onboard but clearly somewhere out on social media theyve see enough to make them worried.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m rapidly reaching the conclusion that cruising with P&O is no longer for us. Ten years ago the negatives were pretty minor, but as the years have gone by they’ve increased to such a point that they now outweigh the positives - for us at least.

Travelodge and Premier Inn have different price points, and when PI came along we ditched Travelodge altogether. Too many downsides for the price saving, and a clientele which contained a very noticeable minority whose behaviour was frankly appalling. 

P&O seems to be taking the Travelodge route. I prefer not to.

I'm feeling the same.

I cruised with P&O from 2001 to 2019, and really enjoyed our experiences, and I'm very fond of P&O as a brand.

But, I think I would rather remember them as they were. We have Saga booked for next August, and will also consider Fred Olsen and Ambassador. Just feeling like we'd prefer smaller ships now. 

Also, we are feeling that cruises are now more likely to be an occasional holiday for us, maybe once every other year.  

• Like 3

I too, used to be a major champion of P&O.  After all, they own my beloved Arcadia.   But it concerns me to read multiple issues unravelling across their fleet, for whatever reason.   

I have an Iona fjords cruise booked for April, but after holding my nerve watching it for the last few months, will be cancelling it tomorrow in favour of the same cruise on the lovely MSC Virtuosa, as they have offered to change my current standard balcony to an extended balcony similar to the booking on Iona, and add a drinks package for £700 less.   £700 which will all but pay for another week on her new sister ship, Euribia, later in the year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As a veteran of 50 plus cruises on P&O and other lines I think I can truthfully report if the product is as good as it previously was.  I have not at any pointed compared this cruise with cruises I take on other lines (I will do a comparison between all my 2022 cruises when I get home).  I am a big supporter of P&O but there are major cracks appearing which are mentioned by other on other ships and cruises too.

I did not welcome having a drunken football supporter grabbing hold of me and leering repeatedly into my face that his team had won as occurred on Boxing Day - neither did the other people who rapidly left that area of the pool deck and either relocated or left completely.  I can assure you this is not a fabrication, I have no need to lie and hope that those on these boards are mainly aware I tell things as they are with no room for fabrication.  Clearly what others find acceptable is not what I am the majority affected by these minority do.

The lady who had her Christmas spoilt was almost in tears yesterday as she recalled it.

Finally I have friends met on board Britannia last Christmas boarding Saturday.  They sent us an email this morning saying they have been reading bad reviews on this and the previous Britannia cruise and were they true.  Thats nothing to do with me as I havent spoken to them since being onboard but clearly somewhere out on social media theyve see enough to make them worried.

What a dreadful experience for you Megabear…… I hope you reported the occurrence as that sort of behaviour is very very unwelcome anywhere and anytime regardless of a football result…..

I do hope you can enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I am so sorry to hear this. In 2018 we were on Britannnia during the World Cup. Obviuosly therewere lots of football fans on board watching the games but not once did we see any drunken unwelcome behaviour.  It sadly shows how standards have dropped since then. 

On our recent Azura cruise the main issue was poor choice of food and drinks. This is something that P&O can rectify easily. The lack of staff was evident. P&O and Cunard have rented a shop in West Quay in Southampton as a recuitment hub. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I am so sorry to hear this. In 2018 we were on Britannnia during the World Cup. Obviuosly therewere lots of football fans on board watching the games but not once did we see any drunken unwelcome behaviour.  It sadly shows how standards have dropped since then. 

On our recent Azura cruise the main issue was poor choice of food and drinks. This is something that P&O can rectify easily. The lack of staff was evident. P&O and Cunard have rented a shop in West Quay in Southampton as a recuitment hub. 

Again different opinions we were on Azura in October I created a post on Facebook and everyone agreed how they had a good time food was a bit repetitive. No Lamb Shank on a formal night like we’ve had before. Hopefully this time they do but in the end we made do. Unfortunately we never managed to eat at the Glass House because of how full it was so we went the Beach House like we do every cruise and the food is amazing. 

I think some people have forgotten we have lived in a pandemic for 2-3 years been locked to our houses so to speak and now people are going away again they may be forgetting where they actually are which may explain so of the crazy behaviour people are mentioning

3 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Didn’t need to know how many cruises you’ve been on, and in no way did I say you was lying. That’s the way it’s come across (sorry if I take it the wrong way) I was generally making an opinion that people don’t always give the full story etc again you’ve had a bad experience so have others but theirs people also saying they have had no problems which is why I said always mixed reviews. 

Maybe these other people have lower expectations or paid considerably less than I did for their cruise.  Having given P&O nearly £8000 for a second grade balcony- admittedly with PE flights at £800 for that cost I would have hoped to have been able to access things like grapefruit juice, tomato juice and cream cheese.  There is no draft beer in 95% of the bars, advertised sauvignon blanc wines are.no.more in the bars with most being offered P&O plonk as an alternative.   I visited the buffet at 2.00pm for a cup of tea as I was wandering around deck 16 when a heavy rain downpour occurred.  I found an irate guest with the officer in charge demanding to know why soggy sad tomatoes were offered which when I looked st them myself I wouldn't even have considered using for a fry up, never mind a supposedly fresh salad.

Incidentally I mentioned the number of cruises in an attempt to show I was objective and had experienced good and bad on lines including P&O.  No idea what you mean about the way it comes across. I've tried to be factual and have given up time on my holiday to post of my personal experience. Others will as you say have had different outcomes to their holiday.

For my part reading back over the past two weeks, we started with great hopes and enthusiasm and sadly it has waned as  time has moved on.

I cannot change my personal experience and sadly if asked I can rate things okay, but okay is not what I signed up for or paid a very hefty premium for by booking early and select.

By the way, for those who are interested a Peninsular Club party was held in the Live Lounge for top tier members, the remainder of us got a free drink voucher. I'm told parties are coming back.for all.very soon.

Britannia has always been my favourite P&O ship and I'm just sorry this cruise hasn't worked out for us.

• Like 15