Britannia Christmas 2022 Goes Live!!!!!!!

Megabear2

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Megabear2 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

A very good morning to you all from a still bitterly cold Gatwick.  As promised I'll try to let you know how the Great Adventure goes and will try to drop in here with updates. 

We had a comfortable night in the Hampton by Hilton which is attached to the North Terminal and thankfully it means we won't have to face the current minus 4 degrees outside just needing to wander 100 yards and up the escalator to check in.

P&O sent a last minute what to do at check in email overnight but I've just checked for updates on the departure boards and unfortunately that big old 787 isn't going to roll any time soon!  The earlier flight at 10.25 flight is on time but our 11.20 flight is delayed until 13.20.  Bit of a disappointment there - ironically we were originally on the 10.25 but because we upgraded to PE were moved to the later flight. Luckily we can keep the room at the hotel so plan on checking in and wandering back here for an hour or two rather than facing the "dark side" for extra time.

Sadly it looks like Epicurean Christmas dinner is going to be in doubt as everyone else will be there before us.

I shall return with updates!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

A very good morning to you all from a still bitterly cold Gatwick.  As promised I'll try to let you know how the Great Adventure goes and will try to drop in here with updates. 

We had a comfortable night in the Hampton by Hilton which is attached to the North Terminal and thankfully it means we won't have to face the current minus 4 degrees outside just needing to wander 100 yards and up the escalator to check in.

P&O sent a last minute what to do at check in email overnight but I've just checked for updates on the departure boards and unfortunately that big old 787 isn't going to roll any time soon!  The earlier flight at 10.25 flight is on time but our 11.20 flight is delayed until 13.20.  Bit of a disappointment there - ironically we were originally on the 10.25 but because we upgraded to PE were moved to the later flight. Luckily we can keep the room at the hotel so plan on checking in and wandering back here for an hour or two rather than facing the "dark side" for extra time.

Sadly it looks like Epicurean Christmas dinner is going to be in doubt as everyone else will be there before us.

I shall return with updates!

Best wishes for a fantastic cruise.

Screenshot_20221210_160136.jpg

• Thanks 1

BIG NEWS!!!!  I'm an auntie a month early.  My niece has just had a baby girl, her first.  Very excited at our early Christmas present but sadly none of us are in the UK to greet her as most of the family are on Aurora currently chasing the northern lights and we are sat in Gatwick!  

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

BIG NEWS!!!!  I'm an auntie a month early.  My niece has just had a baby girl, her first.  Very excited at our early Christmas present but sadly none of us are in the UK to greet her as most of the family are on Aurora currently chasing the northern lights and we are sat in Gatwick!  

Many congratulations to you and your niece….👶👏🥂🎉

Have a great holiday and hope flight soon takes off.

x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Hope you are off soon! I've not actually done a fly cruise with P&O but I assume its a P&O charter so you don't need to worry about missing the ship? Or is it an overnight in Barbados job

Thankfully straight to the ship.  Gate has just been announced do 13.20 seems to be on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Congratulations.

A lovely early Christmas present 💝

• Like 1

Congratulations to you all.

Hello one and all!!!! Sorry for the lack of updates but things here have been very difficult for many.  Our three hour delay ended up being 4 1/2 as on arrival the steps wouldn't attach.  Long delay and arrived on-board at 9.20pm Barbados time.  We were however the lucky ones.  People on Manchester flight 4 1/2 hours on-board before departure as no baggage handlers and then deicing problems. Glasgow never even made it! We arrived to several hundred brought back here overnight as their plane didn't arrive.  Earlier Gatwick flight had some Spanish airline providing an old A330 with no entertainment, premium economy and apparently drinks! Total mayhem.

Sadly yesterday faired not much better.  The dreadful Gatwick plane apparently used and to compound lots of damaged luggage.  Second Manchester flight delayed- those leaving here went off at 9.30pm.

We sailed 10.30 ish, now foot down to Curacao where we should arrive around 10.00am tomorrow but apparently staying later to give us same time.

First impressions on the ship: she's definitely struggling in some areas on deck with drink service.  There's not a seat to be found in virtually all areas and most are resorting to queuing at the bar to order and take away drinks themselves.  Not tried it myself but spent 30.minutes enjoying my ice cream watching the queue.  Officers were manning the bar to help but.not a particularly sight around the pool so I'm afraid we departed.  Wasn't helped by the world cup being on and bar staff diverted to help with sales of buckets of beer in the theatre.

There has been lots of aggravated people mainly due to the trauma of getting here but it's calming this afternoon.

Points to note, the app won't work on any of our phones or tablets. After camping with reception day 1 and with IT today they've given up and told us to go manual!  Working well for us - I'm still "special" apparently!  I just tell them what I want and I get it even if it says not available! 

I have my Epicurean bookings including Christmas day - no one knows if it's a special menu or not mind and we won't be told until 22nd - also my Limelight bookings have been confirmed with front row tables. 

Dress code, hmmm.  Traditionalist will not I fear be happy.  Started well at breakfast yesterday as guy sent away for wearing a vest.  However Meridian last night absolutely full of shorts, trainers and track trousers.  I'm guessing these may be the new arrivals and because of all the anguish slack was cut, but we shall see tonight as it's first formal.

My OH has noted in his opinion the clientele is very different.  Certainly lots more younger people drinking.earlier.  Quite a scene in the theatre when Argentina scored as a group leapt up and removed their shirts to run up and down- I don't even see that at Chelsea on a Saturday but then we've forgotten how to score so maybe that's why!

Had a nice day at the beach - Carlisle Bay - yesterday and it was much need to relax and unwind after the travel problems.  Nathan Jones in the theatre was excellent.  We had reservation but no one checked them just said take any seat.  Tonight we have first headliner show, again we were booked but didn't want the 10.30 so my nice lady on reception moved me to 8.30 no hassle.  I'm inclined to believe there are many on here not intetested in the main theatre more the lounges and bars.  

We are a bit disappointed with our cabin.  It is just above the lifeboat gantry and one seat offers a view of that.  It isn't the original choice but the air con didn't work in that so I'll make do with the view.  We are sailing very fast to make up the time.

Overall not bad but definitely nowhere as good as previous Christmas cruises. It's early days but there are some silly annoyances - you now pay to ice a gingerbread house for instance.  Our can steward apologised for no free water and having to deliver our ice at 1.00pm - still okay for the G&T at 6.00pm though.

If you don't want to join the gunfight for sunbed it's fine but as someone whose done this Christmas cruise on both Britannia and Azura many times I can confirm the new clientele definitely have a vastly different experience in mind with roasting in the sun and drinking as soon as the bar opens.

Not a complaint as it's each to his own just something of a surprise.

We are happy enough, the weather's great, the food has been good and it's nice to be back.

20221217_110921.jpg

20221217_110610.jpg

20221217_110602.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Hello one and all!!!! Sorry for the lack of updates but things here have been very difficult for many.  Our three hour delay ended up being 4 1/2 as on arrival the steps wouldn't attach.  Long delay and arrived on-board at 9.20pm Barbados time.  We were however the lucky ones.  People on Manchester flight 4 1/2 hours on-board before departure as no baggage handlers and then deicing problems. Glasgow never even made it! We arrived to several hundred brought back here overnight as their plane didn't arrive.  Earlier Gatwick flight had some Spanish airline providing an old A330 with no entertainment, premium economy and apparently drinks! Total mayhem.

Sadly yesterday faired not much better.  The dreadful Gatwick plane apparently used and to compound lots of damaged luggage.  Second Manchester flight delayed- those leaving here went off at 9.30pm.

We sailed 10.30 ish, now foot down to Curacao where we should arrive around 10.00am tomorrow but apparently staying later to give us same time.

First impressions on the ship: she's definitely struggling in some areas on deck with drink service.  There's not a seat to be found in virtually all areas and most are resorting to queuing at the bar to order and take away drinks themselves.  Not tried it myself but spent 30.minutes enjoying my ice cream watching the queue.  Officers were manning the bar to help but.not a particularly sight around the pool so I'm afraid we departed.  Wasn't helped by the world cup being on and bar staff diverted to help with sales of buckets of beer in the theatre.

There has been lots of aggravated people mainly due to the trauma of getting here but it's calming this afternoon.

Points to note, the app won't work on any of our phones or tablets. After camping with reception day 1 and with IT today they've given up and told us to go manual!  Working well for us - I'm still "special" apparently!  I just tell them what I want and I get it even if it says not available! 

I have my Epicurean bookings including Christmas day - no one knows if it's a special menu or not mind and we won't be told until 22nd - also my Limelight bookings have been confirmed with front row tables. 

Dress code, hmmm.  Traditionalist will not I fear be happy.  Started well at breakfast yesterday as guy sent away for wearing a vest.  However Meridian last night absolutely full of shorts, trainers and track trousers.  I'm guessing these may be the new arrivals and because of all the anguish slack was cut, but we shall see tonight as it's first formal.

My OH has noted in his opinion the clientele is very different.  Certainly lots more younger people drinking.earlier.  Quite a scene in the theatre when Argentina scored as a group leapt up and removed their shirts to run up and down- I don't even see that at Chelsea on a Saturday but then we've forgotten how to score so maybe that's why!

Had a nice day at the beach - Carlisle Bay - yesterday and it was much need to relax and unwind after the travel problems.  Nathan Jones in the theatre was excellent.  We had reservation but no one checked them just said take any seat.  Tonight we have first headliner show, again we were booked but didn't want the 10.30 so my nice lady on reception moved me to 8.30 no hassle.  I'm inclined to believe there are many on here not intetested in the main theatre more the lounges and bars.  

We are a bit disappointed with our cabin.  It is just above the lifeboat gantry and one seat offers a view of that.  It isn't the original choice but the air con didn't work in that so I'll make do with the view.  We are sailing very fast to make up the time.

Overall not bad but definitely nowhere as good as previous Christmas cruises. It's early days but there are some silly annoyances - you now pay to ice a gingerbread house for instance.  Our can steward apologised for no free water and having to deliver our ice at 1.00pm - still okay for the G&T at 6.00pm though.

If you don't want to join the gunfight for sunbed it's fine but as someone whose done this Christmas cruise on both Britannia and Azura many times I can confirm the new clientele definitely have a vastly different experience in mind with roasting in the sun and drinking as soon as the bar opens.

Not a complaint as it's each to his own just something of a surprise.

We are happy enough, the weather's great, the food has been good and it's nice to be back.

20221217_110921.jpg

20221217_110610.jpg

20221217_110602.jpg

Thanks - we are on a similar cruise next year, but early December.  Hopefully things will improve, but it sounds a bit dire at present. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

I don’t like the sound of the new clientele !

I hope things settle down and you have a good cruise .

looking forward to updates.

This worries us too - not witnessed it with P&O yet but have on another line.  It seems the cheaper the cruises get the more we dislike the cruisers (or should it be cruisees?) 😒

I imagine it's a bit better on longer cruises or out of school holidays.

• Like 2

I am sorry to read this MegaBear; flights were out of P&O hands, but life on board does seem to be changing for the worse too 😞  We have one more P&O cruise booked (Aurora) but are already looking at alternatives.  I hope your cruise improves considerably. Thanks for posting updates xx. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulatsea said:

I don’t like the sound of the new clientele !

I hope things settle down and you have a good cruise .

looking forward to updates.

Don’t shout me down everyone but I can’t help feeling the problem with the clientele  new or otherwise is the drinks package. People making sure they get their monies worth. 

We saw it on Royal Caribbean years ago where people were drinking pints of beer as we went to breakfast at 8.30 

• Like 4