New captain on Reflection

Peteymil

Is it normal for a new captain to take over during the middle of a cruise? This is not a situation like captain Kate, coming back for the naming ceremony of the beyond. Yesterday, with only three days left of our cruise on the reflection we got a new Captain. And all my cruises I haven't had that experience before, but was wondering if that was something that's normal.

Aloha. Yes on various lines and brands it is not unusual. May not be the norm but quite frankly all I care about is good health and blessings for the passengers crew including but not limited to the Captain.  I have been cruising for decades and with all due respect they are no different than pilots and other employees. I expect a safe enjoyable voyage and wish everybody the best but never remember their names as long as they do a good job. Maybe the only Captains name I remember is Smith then again he was Captain on the Titanic. Smooth sailing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peteymil said:

Is it normal for a new captain to take over during the middle of a cruise? This is not a situation like captain Kate, coming back for the naming ceremony of the beyond. Yesterday, with only three days left of our cruise on the reflection we got a new Captain. And all my cruises I haven't had that experience .

Well, I can tell you this.  The captain we had on Reflection for our November 20th and 27th sailings went home to be with his wife who had a baby girl on Wednesday.  Congratulations Captain Matt. 😊

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Texed said:

Well, I can tell you this.  The captain we had on Reflection for our November 20th and 27th sailings went home to be with his wife who had a baby girl on Wednesday.  Congratulations Captain Matt. 😊

Correct, and he didn’t leave mid cruise … 🙄

4 hours ago, Peteymil said:

Is it normal for a new captain to take over during the middle of a cruise? This is not a situation like captain Kate, coming back for the naming ceremony of the beyond. Yesterday, with only three days left of our cruise on the reflection we got a new Captain. And all my cruises I haven't had that experience before, but was wondering if that was something that's normal.

Are you sure the switch was not on Dec 11, when Captain mat left instead of yesterday as you mentioned in your op

3 hours ago, retird said:

Are you sure the switch was not on Dec 11, when Captain mat left instead of yesterday as you mentioned in your op

Captain Matt left on Dec 11th. I was on the previous 2 cruises. He announced on Dec 9th at the senior officers party that his wife was having her baby on Tuesday. He introduced the new captain that night but was still in charge until the 11th.

31 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Captain Matt left on Dec 11th. I was on the previous 2 cruises. He announced on Dec 9th at the senior officers party that his wife was having her baby on Tuesday. He introduced the new captain that night but was still in charge until the 11th.

Yes i was on the previous cruise as well.   I was just asking the op if maybe she was mistaken when she said they switched yesterday instead of Dec.11.

18 hours ago, Texed said:

We had Captain Matt for our TA on Reflection- best captain ever!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 3:15 PM, retird said:

You are 100% correct. I was told by one of the staff members that the captain had  been switched that day, but that was not correct.