How do you keep track?

objko

We keep a set of shared Google Drive folders for each cruise, with PDFs, Google docs and sheets, and screenshots of tickets and things from apps. I usually make our itinerary as a spreadsheet that we print out and magnet to our stateroom door. I also do some budgeting and destination notes, to keep all the things we want to do sorted and planned, and I track our various travel rewards points separately so we remember what extras are available where.

We also keep a physical folder with some of these items as our TA is a bit old school and loves to print things out for us 🤣, but truthfully this has saved us a few times when boarding systems are down or our phones aren't cooperating. 

I have 7 cruises booked at the moment, including 2 worlds and a grand. So organization is key. As some have said, I use Dropbox and have a folder for each cruise. Within that folder I have subfolders for invoices/payments, ports, etc. I create a subfolder for each port and put PDFs or other documents pertaining to that port in each one. If I book a HAL excursion, I put the confirmation email in that folder. I only check out with one shorex at a time.

I also create an Excel file listing each port, port times, hi/low temps, plans for the day, etc. In another Excel file I track all my spending.

I have a master Excel file with all the cruises booked, payments and upcoming payments with due dates. I can sort that by upcoming payment dates. But my super travel agent also helps me remember.

It's a lot of organization, but what else do I have to do between cruises? 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I replace items used in my two large suitcases once I return home from a cruise; I don't unpack completely except for clothes to launder, then hang those in the travel clothes closet.  It's easy to remember what you've used and need to replace/refill in the few days after you get home, and I have a room where I can keep the suitcases available.  I keep a paper copy of everything.  On the day I book the cruise, I also book air, hotels at the beginning and end, notify the car service for taking us to the airport and picking us up, and buy the travel insurance.  I type an itinerary day by day with all the info for each day, reservation numbers, phone numbers, times, flight numbers, insurance info.  I also am sure to include phone numbers as one time I dropped my phone in a toilet (came out of my pocket), yes, and have learned one has to have important phone numbers in places other than on the phone.  I make a folder for each trip in my email, copy and paste the typed itinerary into an email and put it in the folder along with all the other confirms. 

Then, as I go along and buy shore ex or anything else, I update the typed itinerary, new date, copy and paste it into an email, and that goes into the email file and another copy in the file folder.  Then I have running copies of old itineraries if I need them in my email folder.

It may seem like a lot of trouble at the time to type the itinerary, but I can add reminders such as paying a credit card bill, take a non-daily medicine, check on something on board, etc.  Then in the cabin, I tape a copy to the mirror at the cabin desk.  Invaluable for sure.

It's very important to have ONE place, like the typed itinerary, to go to find your info; if you have to sort through papers, go to an app, with bits of info spread everywhere, that's not being organized and will drive you crazy.

I now even have a typed list for the first day or so of things I need the cabin steward's help with (extra wire hangers, how many towels each day, that idea).  I'm able to go over these things and actually give him/her the sheet of paper!

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 2

I don't do paper. I use a combination of Tripit - which monitors my inbox and automatically builds itineraries from reservations which arrive in it, and Evernote for everything else - receipts for payments, interesting websites for travel locations, due dates, budgets. 

I also don't sweat the small stuff - we did  6 weeks this year between 2 cruises. Only ever booked accommodation and transport a day or 2 in advance as we decided where we were going - I'd done all th research, but didn't book until last minute 

2 hours ago, lissie said:

I don't do paper. I use a combination of Tripit - which monitors my inbox and automatically builds itineraries from reservations which arrive in it, and Evernote for everything else - receipts for payments, interesting websites for travel locations, due dates, budgets. 

I also don't sweat the small stuff - we did  6 weeks this year between 2 cruises. Only ever booked accommodation and transport a day or 2 in advance as we decided where we were going - I'd done all th research, but didn't book until last minute 

I book as far out as possible when I see a reasonable price and book cancelable fares.  Then I monitor the items (cruise fare, airfare, hotel, car rental, etc.) and when I see a price drop I rebook.  Lately the prices seem to be increasing the closer we get to sailing on everything, but in the past it was the opposite.  Have saved a ton of money doing it this way.

• Like 3

So many great ideas!! I think a lot of you..like me..enjoy the planning pre cruise. I too keep my suitcase filled with the items I normally take on a cruise..eg my plastic bag filled with all the "medical stuff" like band-aids, Tylenol etc. Same with my CC things, ...name tags, NOLA beads etc. I've really missed doing all this type of planning during Covid. It's nice to be "back at it"!!
"

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 3:02 PM, objko said:

We’ve been on several cruises but usually only one, maybe two in a year so keeping track of the paperwork is not usually a problem.  We are hoping to be able to more next year  And in fact, have 5 booked for 2023 and 2024 and I’m swimming in the logistics of it all.  

So many of you do multiple cruises in a year - WC, GC, B2B, yada, yada .  How do you keep track of everything?  There are so many logistics for each cruise and when you have multiple cruises to keep track of - well how do you do it?  

Do you keep a folder for each cruise and just throw things in it?  Do you have a spreadsheet that lists things to do for that cruise?  What kinds of info do you track, like payments, shore excursions, get insurance, book dinners?  Do you have a tickler system that tells you when to do what?  Do you have a certain organizing technique? Do you do the same things for each cruise?  Is it all electronic or some paper?  Do you use an app?  Or am I making this harder than I need to?  Maybe a simple List of Things To Do that I can add to and check stuff off?  

Any tips or advice would be really appreciated!

I have a plastic file box that I label the folders with whatever reservation we just made.  With RV trips and cruising we typically have 4 or 5 trips in various stages of planning at any given time.  The folders are in date order.  

Initially I just toss whatever info I have in the folder, as the trip gets closer, I will start organizing side trips/excursions/whatever ideas.

THIS THREAD IS A GOLD MINE, thanks for sharing so many good ideas.  I have now modified my own techniques to incorporate some of yours.  

First, I too send sympathies to LuAnn and Kazu for your losses.  I’m happy to see you are still carrying on.  

I also keep our “bathroom bag” suitcase packed and resupplied after each trip.  And a small section in my closet for my cruise dinner clothes since I only seem to wear them while on a ship.  

I don’t think I can add any new ideas to yours but wanted to tell you about a couple of new things I’m going to try, thanks to you.  I have always kept HARD COPY FOLDERS for each trip but was lackadaisical about maintaining the electronic ones. With two of us doing different parts of the planning, actual folders with printed materials was just easier.   I would think we all also have that one additional folder for info on potential future trips that have caught our attention. One we just toss stuff into, organize it later.  

The first things on my list now are to ORGANIZE E-NOTES so I can actually find what I want instead of relying on my email search function.  And LEARN APPLE NOTES.

The other thing I am going to try is I now have a TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR EACH CRUISE FOLDER so either of us can easily find what we need.  Pending further editing, I have 12 sections.  I know….I’m an obsessive organizer and list maker, but I find it fun.  And yes, I also know each person’s strengths are also their weaknesses.  I haven’t used this system yet, so things are apt to change!  

1. LABEL: For fast and easy reference each folder will be labeled with name and date of cruise, ship, and booking number.  I also have stickies on the bottom of my computer with this info.

2.  TRIP CHECKLIST: This is  biggie for us. I’ve always used a checklist of things to do and things to take, for any trip we do.  I have checklists already made for cruises, camping, skiing, fly or drive trips (tho not so much flying in the past couple of covid years), Once made up, they are easy to modify to accommodate different kinds of weather or activities.  

For things to take, we figure out what we might need by day, location, or activity and put it on the list to be checked off as it’s staged for packing.  Of course the first go around I always stage twice as many clothes as we need, so have learned how to put half of it back before final packing.  I also take pictures of it all before it hits the suitcases.  Makes packing for the next cruise just that much easier.  I would for certain forget some things like batteries, cords, flashlight and nightlight, day packs, pillow cases, ziplocks, important phone numbers and contact info (in case, like one poster did, I drop my phone in the loo!), if they weren’t on the list.  

Things to do includes stuff like make resies; print confirmations, tickets, and vouchers; arrange transportation; arrange for house minder; refill meds; get foreign money and money for tips; check watch batteries; stop water delivery; etc, etc.. Our checklist is usually 2 pages but works for us.  

3.  HAL COMMS:  confirmations, boarding passes, luggage tags, other emails from HAL or our PCC.   I also like to keep a copy of the original HAL website description of the cruise in case things change along the way, like cost and ports. 

4.   FINANCIALS: amounts paid, amounts left to be paid, and dates.

5.  MAPS AND LAYOUTS: Picture from website of route; or like for an upcoming cruise, a map of New Zealand with ports highlighted; deck plan with location of room; MDR layout (to give us an idea of what tables-for-two we’d like).

6.  UPDATED ITINERARY: I too print the one from the website and keep notes on it for each day.  So handy for planning as well as tacked on the wall in the room.  I also add pre/post stuff to it so we have one single itinerary that covers the whole trip.

7.  PRE/POST: Anything pertaining the logistics of flights, hotels, transportation like confirmations, tickets and the like.

8.  PORT INFO: For each - time difference from home; temperature; currency and conversion;  requirements such as visas, vaccines, testing; what to do if not a shore-ex; transportation, like will we need taxi or use bus, will tenders be used; what to eat and where; must dos. 

9. SHORE-EX: description, confirmation, voucher, tour instructions.

10.  PRE-BOOKED PACKAGES: info on wine packages, spa appointments, speciality restaurants.

11.  INSURANCE

12.  MISC INFO:  everyone has to have a misc. section 😉

Now I’m working on a calendar where I can see all important dates for all our trips in one place without having to go thru each folder to find them.

Please feel free to jump in here and offer suggestions or just tell me I’m crazy and all I need to track are my boarding docs and tickets.   But what’s the saying?  Three parts to every adventure: planning, execution, and memories, each to be savored and enjoyed.  

Bottom line - THANK YOU, and happy holidays!

• Like 3

As soon as I book a cruise, I start an itinerary in a Word file. I have a standard format that I always use, so I overwrite my "blank" starter file. I start with day/date/port or sea and port times if I know them. A rough to-do list goes above the first day, with reminders to book pre-hotel, flight/train, etc. 

The itinerary document grows over time. As I book travel to the port, add pre-cruise hotel, shorex, etc, that all gets noted in the itinerary. At some point, I look up and add things like sunrise/sunset or average temps if that's going to matter for excursions. Anything that comes by email (which is most of the bits) goes into a specific folder in my email. I add screenshots of email receipts to the itinerary document. Items to be printed are saved on my computer as pdfs in the folder with the itinerary. 

If it's a long cruise, I grab one of the charity calendars I get in the mail and write the itinerary on that so I have a quick reference. I often do the calendar thing if I'm considering a cruise. Right now I'm thinking about 3 weeks on Zaandam in 2024. That one is very port intensive so it helps me see where the sea-day breaks are. 

I print hard copy of all the important things in the week before I leave home. I know most items can be accessed on my phone, but hard copy is easier, and if I drop it, nothing breaks. Boarding QM2 in NY in September, I had to have a hard copy of the boarding pass because their system is to mark and sticker it as you go through the various check-in points. 

Love all your advice, I just like to add one suggestion.  You may need to research public holiday dates for any locations you are visiting pre/post or even during the cruise.  Surges of local visitors on public holidays will impact your overall experience, and you may wish to make other plans.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Aitchgeye said:

Love all your advice, I just like to add one suggestion.  You may need to research public holiday dates for any locations you are visiting pre/post or even during the cruise.  Surges of local visitors on public holidays will impact your overall experience, and you may wish to make other plans.

Amen.  I booked a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Miami Super  Bowl Weekend.  Nearest hotel 75 mile away.

9 hours ago, Aitchgeye said:

Which is exactly why I ALWAYS make hotel res. for a location the moment I know I need an overnight or two reservation--the holidays can make hotel res. impossible to get closer to the time for sure, especially road trips and such.  You can always cancel the res.; I never buy the non-refundable fares.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

Amen.  I booked a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Miami Super  Bowl Weekend.  Nearest hotel 75 mile away.

I just booked a cruise departing Fort Lauderdale during their boat show week.  Was tough finding a hotel anywhere near the port and prices were sky high!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I just booked a cruise departing Fort Lauderdale during their boat show week.  Was tough finding a hotel anywhere near the port and prices were sky high!

Which hotel did you end up booking? We're sailing out of FLL in March, so curious as to where you're staying..

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I remember dpcking at Port Everglades at the end of a cruise and watching HUGE shrink-wrapped boats (yachts?) go by on a freighter, headed for the boat show. Fortunately, we were going directly to the train to go home, so we did not get caught in the high hotel prices.

13 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Which hotel did you end up booking? We're sailing out of FLL in March, so curious as to where you're staying..

Normally we go to Hyatt Place Convention Center on 10th.  This time we had to go to Hyatt House in Dania Beach (next to the "other" Hyatt Place.  Got VERY lucky as we used Hyatt Points at the normal 12,000 rate!

On 12/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, Cruising-along said:

I do both spreadsheets and folders for each cruise. The spreadsheet will be set up with daily columns with info like is it a tender port, the weather, what excursions, or DIY we have planned for that day etc.   I print out the spreadsheet and proof of payment for excursions, dinners, etc.  (Because sometimes we just don't have good internet onboard).  It keeps me sane on longer cruises!

We do the same thing.

Spread sheets for everything.

We have to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Normally we go to Hyatt Place Convention Center on 10th.  This time we had to go to Hyatt House in Dania Beach (next to the "other" Hyatt Place.  Got VERY lucky as we used Hyatt Points at the normal 12,000 rate!

We're staying near there at La Quinta Inn and Suites by Wyndham in Hollywood.

On 12/18/2022 at 1:14 PM, lissie said:

This. At least the TripIt part. I use the mediocre Apple Notes app rather than Evernote.

I have used TripIt for almost ten years, and can’t imagine traveling without it. I’ve paid for the Pro version for most of those years. in an app that goes on my iPad and iPhone (also accessible on the web) I have a nice listing that shows all my dining reservations, plane tickets, shore excursions, etc., filled in automatically from my emails. Here is a screen shot from a recent trip. When I click on each item, I get more information, such as confirmation numbers, phone or email for hotels and tour providers, etc. There is a space where I can type in notes, or add screen shots or photos. I highly recommend it!

58346FAD-5C3F-4014-89C5-7D63505CD2B5.png

• Like 2