Carnival Legend Heat Not Working?

Heartgrove

We are sailing on the Legend in a month. My DW found on another social media site that the current cruise from  Baltimore to Nassau and Grand Turks the passengers are complaining of being without heat and heat not working. Sunday when they return it is to be 28/19. Has this happened before? Anyone with more info?

3 hours ago, groundloop said:

I'm a bit skeptical of the extent of the problem until I hear it directly from multiple people who were on the ship.  I can see an issue with one cabin, or a small group of cabins, being conflated into "the entire ship is freezing".

I am on the ship right now. I have no issues in my cabin but have spoken with multiple people who are freezing. One person said the temp in their cabin was 52. They were told different things by different people at guest services from it’s not working to there is no heat to we will send someone..and no one comes.

Yesterday many of the public areas were quite cold, especially the Lido Buffett. People were walking around indoors with heavy coats. 
We are docked in Freeport right now due to an unexpected emergency but the temps outside are around 75-80 so being cold shouldn’t be an issue but people are worried about the trip back. 

Edited by Yankeegirl49
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Yankeegirl49 said:

I am on the ship right now. I have no issues in my cabin but have spoken with multiple people who are freezing. One person said the temp in their cabin was 52. They were told different things by different people at guest services from it’s not working to there is no heat to we will send someone..and no one comes.

Yesterday many of the public areas were quite cold, especially the Lido Buffett. People were walking around indoors with heavy coats. 
We are docked in Freeport right now due to an unexpected emergency but the temps outside are around 75-80 so being cold shouldn’t be an issue but people are worried about the trip back. 

I don't think there is much they can do for individual cabins. They should be able to raise the temperature of the whole ship, so it sounds like that isn't working properly. I still don't think there is a heat setting.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think there is much they can do for individual cabins. They should be able to raise the temperature of the whole ship, so it sounds like that isn't working properly. I still don't think there is a heat setting.

I would think they have to have heat settings. They just dont sail in the warm climates. Even when they leave out of NY or any NE area, They need the heat. Even when they sail worldwide, not every place they go is warm climate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I have doubts that most cruise ship cabins have heat capability.

Actually, they do.  Some ships use electric heat at the cabin AC cooler, and then steam heat to the public space coolers, some use the steam from the boilers to raise the temperature of the chilled water used as the AC medium, instead of cooling it, for both cabins and public spaces.

As heat is not frequently used, there may be problems with the steam system (steam traps, etc) from disuse, or it may be that they didn't anticipate the cold early enough, as it takes a good while to warm up an entire volume like a cruise ship.

• Like 2

I never even realized there was heat on the ships maybe because I live and sail out of Florida.  I do know that there didn't use to be heat on ships when I worked on Carnival many years ago.  We sailed out of Miami and it can get really cold In January.  I managed the gift shops and we always sold a whole bunch of Carnival sweatshirts during that month - lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MyReflection said:

Was on Legend last week and the thermostat control in our cabin did not work. 

I have never been on the Legend but on every ship I've been on, the thermostat in the room is just a throttle. The temperature of the air is set by the engineers, the thermostat in your room (if it works at all) just decides how much air is let into your room.

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I have doubts that most cruise ship cabins have heat capability.

That might be true for older dearly departed ships like Fantasy or Jubilee, but Legend cruises to Alaska - it has to have heat.

For those that don't know the Carnival Legend schedule, it sails weekly from Baltimore so winter weather should not come as a surprise to Carnival. Passengers asking while onboard are getting the runaround on the heat issue. I can understand if there is a mechanical issue. If so, just make the announcement. Next month will be my first Carnival cruise and chose the Legend for being able to just drive to the port. Now I am beginning to question our August cruise on the Legend to Greenland as well. That will be just the opposite of leaving a port that is warm and sailing eight days to a cold port.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, they do.  Some ships use electric heat at the cabin AC cooler, and then steam heat to the public space coolers, some use the steam from the boilers to raise the temperature of the chilled water used as the AC medium, instead of cooling it, for both cabins and public spaces.

As heat is not frequently used, there may be problems with the steam system (steam traps, etc) from disuse, or it may be that they didn't anticipate the cold early enough, as it takes a good while to warm up an entire volume like a cruise ship.

I know ships can vary the temperature of the chilled water to effect the temperature of the ship but it does take a while. If the average outside temperature varies a great deal between cruises I think it would be quite difficult to maintain a consistent indoor temperature. Cruises would flip flop between too hot or too cold.

As for electric heat in the cabins, I was unaware of that. Do Carnival cabins have that capability?

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I know ships can vary the temperature of the chilled water to effect the temperature of the ship but it does take a while. If the average outside temperature varies a great deal between cruises I think it would be quite difficult to maintain a consistent indoor temperature. Cruises would flip flop between too hot or too cold.

As for electric heat in the cabins, I was unaware of that. Do Carnival cabins have that capability?

I can't say for sure, but I believe the older ships do.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

That might be true for older dearly departed ships like Fantasy or Jubilee, but Legend cruises to Alaska - it has to have heat.

I still have my doubts. The newest Carnival ships, starting with Vista class, do have individual units in each cabin. Of what type, I don't know, but also doubt their heat capability. Carnival's newest ships (not  including Costa builds), don't have a cover pool and so indicate to me that they are designed for warm water cruising.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I still have my doubts. The newest Carnival ships, starting with Vista class, do have individual units in each cabin. Of what type, I don't know, but also doubt their heat capability. Carnival's newest ships (not  including Costa builds), don't have a cover pool and so indicate to me that they are designed for warm water cruising.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Mardi Gras and Celebration never see waters north of Florida except for the rare TA for drydock work.

32 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

We like our cabins on the warm side, so regularly set the thermostats PAST neutral and into the red zone, even in the Caribbean. I can attest that the subsequent air does blow warm. It was that way on the Mardi Gras, Celebration, and Pride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

We like our cabins on the warm side, so regularly set the thermostats PAST neutral and into the red zone, even in the Caribbean. I can attest that the subsequent air does blow warm. It was that way on the Mardi Gras, Celebration, and Pride. 

Warm is relative to the ambient temperature. I'll see if I can get a minute with the chief engineer on our next Carnival cruise and ask.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Warm is relative to the ambient temperature. I'll see if I can get a minute with the chief engineer on our next Carnival cruise and ask.

I agree with you but as I said, even on Caribbean itineraries when our cabin is too cold and we adjust the thermostat to left of neutral which is for warmer,and the results isn't just shutting off cold air from being blown in but warmer air gets blown in to warm up the room. Whether that warmer air constitutes heat is not my concern, all I care is that the room is too cold and I want it warmer. Adjusting the room thermostat does indeed make the room warmer. I would guesstimate our comfort level is around 72 - 74 degrees. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

For those that don't know the Carnival Legend schedule, it sails weekly from Baltimore so winter weather should not come as a surprise to Carnival. Passengers asking while onboard are getting the runaround on the heat issue. I can understand if there is a mechanical issue. If so, just make the announcement. Next month will be my first Carnival cruise and chose the Legend for being able to just drive to the port. Now I am beginning to question our August cruise on the Legend to Greenland as well. That will be just the opposite of leaving a port that is warm and sailing eight days to a cold port.

It's not 8 days, you know... It's 14.  But don't worry about the temperature onboard - you can listen to people who "have their doubts" that the cabins are heated, or you can listen to people like me that have already cruised on the very same ship (Legend) to cold climates (Alaska) and can tell you for certain that the cabins are kept warm.  In fact, some nights the cabins were so warm we had to prop doors open to get some cool air to avoid sweating to death.

Now they may or may not be having a problem RIGHT NOW with heat, I don't know... But the problem is NOT that the ship "doesn't have heat in the cabins".  That's ridiculous.

Edited by CajunOyster
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I was on the Splendor in Alaska and heat was working too well. They cooked us.

Splendor was a Costa ship but I digress.

And I've been to Alaska on Spirit and Miracle a few times and going again next year.

I've been on ships too warm and we asked the Hotel Director about it and that is when I was told they can adjust the temperature of the public areas and so the whole ship but not so much the cabins. Next cruise I'll find the Chief Engineer.

I'm interested in finding out the science behind the ship temperature. I'll get to the bottom of it. No worries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2