E class vs. S class

horseymike

E Class pros over S class. Four main dining room instead of one. Quieter and more interesting .Eden is a hidden gem. Great shows, good food, very quiet in the daytime, easy find a spot to read or meditate with an aft view. The new theater in is spectacular.

I can't think of any cons for me. The infinite veranda seems to be a downgrade for a lot of people on cruise critic.  I like it but I am in a wheelchair. Getting out on the regular balcony is difficult even though there is a ramp in accessible cabins because of the heavy sliding door. With the infinite veranda, I can wheel up to the window and lower it to get fresh air.

• Like 6

Avoid the Sky Suites within the Magic Carpet rails – the rails really block the visibility.  Also the Edge class ships are IMHO much noisier and less classy that the S-class.  But then, we prefer M-class above all so YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We love them both but prefer the E class.  The S class are more traditional and the color scheme and furnishings are outdated on the unrevolutionized ships.

Prefer the Martini bar and Murano on the S class vs the Martini bar and Fine Cut on the E Class.  4 MDRs on E class are a big improvement over the 1 large dining hall. The Roof Top garden, walking/ jogging track and Eden on E are excellent.  If you are booking a suite the E Class ships were designed for the Retreat. 

• Like 2

For us it's "S" class.  We've been in a suite on the Apex, room was nice, Luminae not nearly as good as on "S" class.  Retreat lounge also not as warm & inviting as "S" class and "E" understaffed, the poor bartender was the sole person there trying to serve the entire room.  We like the Ensemble lounge on "S" class.  Did not like the Martini bar area on "E" class at all.  Very loud, harder to access, and the live music when it was there was poor.  The DJ the rest of the time was incredibly loud.  

We liked Eden, we really like the Rooftop grill, better than Lawn Club Grill on "S" class. 

We are sailing on Apex again, but suspect IF we can afford another on X cruise it will be on "S" class. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Only good thing on E-class is the 4 dinning rooms 

After that it is all down hill for Apex 

IV is less of the cons , 

No Sky Lounge ,

the weird halls leading to Blu restaurant, 🤮

Martin Bar music is over powering in Bacio , acoustics is terrible 

by the pool , the cabanas takes up to much area for sitting 

Eden,  I find is uncomfortable 

Luckily our next two cruise are TAs on Reflection and Conny 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

E class make the S class ships look dated. 

The suite experience is better on E class as the ships were heavily designed around the whole Retreat experience. In my opinion E class suite bookings deliver the best that Celebrity has to offer and I have sailed in suites on M and S class. 

People tend to love or loathe the IV balcony rooms. Take a look on youtube at the videos and decide if they are for you or not. I personally dislike them greatly. 

The Martini bar and E class can be a bit rowdy and won't appeal to everyone. 

At the end of the day I book on price and itinerary like most other people do. But if there were an E and S class sailing I wanted to do with similar prices and costs I'd pick S class if in a verandah room and if booking a suite I'd pick E class. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

Can a large 3000 + passenger cruise ship really feel intimate? 

We find the ensemble lounge and world class bar nice places to hang out and not intimate but  certainly "more" intimate than E class ones

• Like 2

We enjoy both- the Silly and Reflection our favorite S class ships.  The e-class ships are more formal IMO.  Better shopping if you aren't into the $10 merchandise.  Entertainment great.  The suite lounge and deck are wonderful on the E-class ships.  Also if not in a suite, the optionaL Dining at different dining rooms great- it is like being in a specialty restaurant daily.  

Enjoy all of your cruises. Never had a bad celebrity cruise on any class of ship.

• Like 1

Much prefer S class. If you are inside there are many venues with views out across the 

ocean which are not available on the E class ships. The most obvious omission on E class

is the lack of any forward facing lounge for the majority of passengers which I consider to

be a major design error. I like the connection with the outside world which is mainly

absent on E class.

• Like 3

On 12/22/2022 at 8:47 AM, rachiem said:

I much prefer the S class if it's just the two of us. It just feels more intimate.

The S and M class feel "calm" considering the number of Paz a ship can carry.  Still a nice break from the work place where "calm" does not exist 🙂

On 12/22/2022 at 10:35 AM, Moby Jones said:

Can a large 3000 + passenger cruise ship really feel intimate? 

4 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Your "major design error" is Celebrity's "major suite marketing strategy"

It is

On 12/22/2022 at 8:47 AM, rachiem said:

I much prefer the S class if it's just the two of us. It just feels more intimate.

7 hours ago, montythecat said:

Much prefer S class. If you are inside there are many venues with views out across the 

ocean which are not available on the E class ships. The most obvious omission on E class

is the lack of any forward facing lounge for the majority of passengers which I consider to

be a major design error. I like the connection with the outside world which is mainly

absent on E class.

Concur.  I want the the views out across the ocean (which are sadly missing in my work place 🙂 ), so I'll stay on M and S-class ships.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Thank you all for your insights. They are very interesting and very helpful.

Despite some folks saying posters on this forum are very negative, like you, horsey mike, I obtain valuable information which I did not know before reading all the comments.  🙂

• Like 2

Another thing we noticed (in our personal experience)...

We've had a Sky suite on both ships...we didn't use the Retreat lounge once on the Edge. It was always empty with no atmosphere.

The S class lounge was accessible straight from boarding the ship and was always our first stop when getting back on board.

The Retreat sundeck on E was excellent though.

Another thing we noticed (in our personal experience)...

We've had a Sky suite on both ships...we didn't use the Retreat lounge once on the Edge. It was always empty with no atmosphere.

The S class lounge was accessible straight from boarding the ship and was always our first stop when getting back on board.

The Retreat sundeck on E was excellent though.

• Like 1