Cruising without Passport

schultz572

Hi there,

I am beginning to plan a 3 day weekend cruise departing Fort Lauderdale Florida and returning the nights later to For Lauderdale. The stops include Royal Caribbean's Private island, Cococay, and Nassau Bahamas. I am wanting to take about 25 people with, about half of them do not have a passport, is it worth the frustrations to acquire a passport book for those that don't have one? I am looking to go last week of March 2023 so I would need to urgently get this done, if I chose not to what documents are necessary to board without a passport?

Also, do you think it would be beneficial to use a travel agent? In the past I have dealt with all my own bookings and have had no issues. I appreciate any advice!

13 minutes ago, poocher said:

Drivers License and certified Birth Certificate will be fine.

only if all in their group are US born citizens.

I believe a naturalized US citizen need to have a passport for a close loop cruise from a US port.

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

only if all their group are US born citizens.

A few of the group members were not born in the United States but these individuals have lived in the US with citizenship for many years and also have passports. I assume that would not affect the others without passports? All other group members that do not have a Passport were born in the United States.

• Like 2

Yes the above is satisfactory. 

• For sailings departing from U.S. homeports, an official U.S. Birth Certificate is also accepted. Guests age 16 and older that present a Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government.

For more on this use the link below.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, robtulipe said:

Yes the above is satisfactory. 

• For sailings departing from U.S. homeports, an official U.S. Birth Certificate is also accepted. Guests age 16 and older that present a Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government.

For more on this use the link below.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

I appreciate your advice thank you. Now just to determine if I want to use a travel agent, that is my last question!

1 hour ago, schultz572 said:

Also, do you think it would be beneficial to use a travel agent? In the past I have dealt with all my own bookings and have had no issues. I appreciate any advice!

I suggest for a group that size you would be better off using a travel agent otherwise you will be doing all the work. You might want all the group seated together in the MDR.  A group event. Also there might be group perks available. Easier with a travel agent. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, robtulipe said:

I believe a naturalized US citizen need to have a passport for a close loop cruise from a US port.

They can use their *original* Naturalization certificate along with a Driver's license/other government ID.

Aloha,

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schultz572 said:

Hi there,

I am beginning to plan a 3 day weekend cruise departing Fort Lauderdale Florida and returning the nights later to For Lauderdale. The stops include Royal Caribbean's Private island, Cococay, and Nassau Bahamas. I am wanting to take about 25 people with, about half of them do not have a passport, is it worth the frustrations to acquire a passport book for those that don't have one? I am looking to go last week of March 2023 so I would need to urgently get this done, if I chose not to what documents are necessary to board without a passport?

1. In this case a competent experienced travel agent will be helpful.  An incompetent one will increase your work 

2.  "Frustration to acquire passport" - are you kidding?

US has one of the smoothest process to get a passport compared to many other countries and it is a great excuse to acquire a very useful identification.

If any of this person gets sick or injured  in Nassau and require hospitalization and has to fly back later, passport will avoid any hassles related to that aspect.  

Grown adults not having passport means they have never traveled outside USA ever!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, schultz572 said:

A cruise is a pretty straight-forward method of travel.  Unless you're getting some financial benefit from using a travel agent -- like, maybe a free room for yourself for doing the organizing? -- I don't see any reason to go with a travel agent. 

Having said that, I'd put together all the details for the 25 people, type if out and give it to them -- and then let them make their own reservations.  

When you type up the details, explain the pros and cons of cruising with a passport vs. cruising with a birth certificate.  Facts, not opinions.  Let each individual make his or her own choice.  

Since it's late December (and Christmas week), and you're looking to cruise in March, your friends would have to HURRY to get a passport processed.  My husband and I had to renew our passports earlier this year; we sent them away in early June -- his came back in 5-6 weeks, but mine didn't come in until September!  No differences between us -- we're both natural born Americans, no red flags.  

2 hours ago, hal2008 said:

... If any of this person gets sick or injured  in Nassau and require hospitalization and has to fly back later, passport will avoid any hassles related to that aspect.  

Grown adults not having passport means they have never traveled outside USA ever!! 

Possible, but highly unlikely.  

Actually an adult not having a passport would mean the person hasn't traveled outside the USA in the last ten years.  That's most people.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, schultz572 said:

Hi there,

No problem at all traveling with approved documents other than passport. Everyone needs to be very careful to review and understand their requirements. And have them available a month or two before departure. 

Letting a TA help would take the load off of you. In any case, ensure that you are working with group reservations on the RCCL side. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

A cruise is a pretty straight-forward method of travel.  Unless you're getting some financial benefit from using a travel agent -- like, maybe a free room for yourself for doing the organizing? -- I don't see any reason to go with a travel agent. 

Having said that, I'd put together all the details for the 25 people, type if out and give it to them -- and then let them make their own reservations.  

When you type up the details, explain the pros and cons of cruising with a passport vs. cruising with a birth certificate.  Facts, not opinions.  Let each individual make his or her own choice.  

Possible, but highly unlikely.  

Actually an adult not having a passport would mean the person hasn't traveled outside the USA in the last ten years.  That's most people.  

Interesting.

Guess we hang in different demographics.

Hard pressed to think about any relative/friend/neighbour/coworker who has not traveled outside USA in ten years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hal2008 said:

1. In this case a competent experienced travel agent will be helpful.  An incompetent one will increase your work 

2.  "Frustration to acquire passport" - are you kidding?

US has one of the smoothest process to get a passport compared to many other countries and it is a great excuse to acquire a very useful identification.

If any of this person gets sick or injured  in Nassau and require hospitalization and has to fly back later, passport will avoid any hassles related to that aspect.  

Many of these travelers in my group have not travelled outside the USA. Sounds odd to us on these message boards but many people have not left the United States. I agree obtaining a passport is easy but helping and hoping 12-15 people submit proper documents and receive their passports before mid March is what I’m referring to as “frustration”. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, schultz572 said:

Many of these travelers in my group have not travelled outside the USA. Sounds odd to us on these message boards but many people have not left the United States. I agree obtaining a passport is easy but helping and hoping 12-15 people submit proper documents and receive their passports before mid March is what I’m referring to as “frustration”. 

Understand.

You need to do what is easiest for you, of course 

But "proper documents" you need for passport (extremely simple and easy process) are no different than what you will need at port for most people (namely, appropriate version of tne birth certificate )

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Interesting.

Hard pressed to think about any relative/friend/neighbour/coworker who has not traveled outside USA in ten years. 

I live in a low-cost-of-living state (another term for low-income), and we are not close enough to reasonably drive to any American border.  

I teach public school, so I rub shoulders with people from every segment of society -- those who live in trailers and those who live in mega-mansions.  

Just now, time4u2go said:

Lol I was thinking the same thing!

Eh, getting a passport does require a number of steps, and isn't cheap: 

- The photograph 

- The official birth certificate 

- The completed form 

- The payment 

- For a first time applicant, the in-person appointment to turn in all items 

And an amazing number of people just can't follow instructions.  I gave blood last weekend, and the worker who processed my paperwork looked at my driver's license and said, "I tried to get a Real ID, but I couldn't find the right paperwork."  I didn't respond to her comment, but I'm amazed at adults who can't look at a list and pick out appropriate documents.  I've heard other people say the same thing about the Real ID.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Understand.

But "proper documents" you need for passport (extremely simple and easy process) are no different than what you will need at port for most people (namely, appropriate version of tne birth certificate )

Great point. 

59 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Understand.

I agree we will be supplying the correct documentation to just get on the ship as it would to apply for passport. My main concern is the erratic processing times. I would think 1 of the 15 passports or potentially more wouldn’t arrive on time. 

Now how would you advise to find a good travel agent. Must they be local to me?  I appreciate yours and everyone advise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Interesting.

When I lived in TX most people I knew hadn’t even been outside TX and we were 1hr from OK. YMMV.

16 hours ago, robtulipe said:

I’m a naturalized citizen and of course I got my passport right away after becoming a citizen. And always have my passport. I read somewhere though that Naturalization certificate can work as Birth Certificate. 

10 hours ago, schultz572 said:

Now how would you advise to find a good travel agent. Must they be local to me?  I appreciate yours and everyone advise. 

A travel agent does not need to be local to you. The one I am currently using does not even live in the same country as me (hint, hint). We aren't allowed to recommend travel agents on this site. There are several travel agents that post often on these boards. If you spend enough time reading here, you'll be able to figure out who they are.