World Cruise News?

shofer

With the impending holidays complicated by nasty weather, I haven't been active on this site recently.  DH and I had seriously considered the World Cruise but his health issues shot down that idea this time.  Wondering if anyone has posted any news about it?

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Most recent news is the possibility of booking as little as a few weeks of it. Royal told us the actual cruise is broken into 17 actual trips.

They will be available to book sometime next year

That news gives me more of a feeling that the ship is definitely not sold out.  

Forgot to ask you.....did you get traditional dining in the MDR?   I was told by several phone agents, and the Next Cruise lady that we are all designated to MTD.  Not happy about that....MTD (IMHO) has been a huge fail lately...but perhaps will be different set up for WC? 

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

That news gives me more of a feeling that the ship is definitely not sold out.  

Forgot to ask you.....did you get traditional dining in the MDR?   I was told by several phone agents, and the Next Cruise lady that we are all designated to MTD.  Not happy about that....MTD (IMHO) has been a huge fail lately...but perhaps will be different set up for WC? 

Not sure, bit I think so. FWIW, MTD should be the best option on a voyage like this. Lots of late ports, overnights, and log excursions. Plus who want to eat with same folks for 9 solid months

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Hey...wait a minute...I have been eating with Bucky for most of the last 30 years.  😄 

Yeah, but like me with Ken, you chose him for life.

For better or worse. 😁😂

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Most recent news is the possibility of booking as little as a few weeks of it. Royal told us the actual cruise is broken into 17 actual trips.

They will be available to book sometime next year

If so, we would love to join you for the Northern Europe segment.  Fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

When 274 days is not quite enough:

"

Miray Cruises has announced it will open for bookings for a three-year world cruise on March 1, 2023. The cruise will sail onboard the 1992-built MV Gemini and visit 135 countries on seven continents from November 2023 through the end of 2026. 

The fantastic part of the three-year cruise is that the cost for guests can be as little as $2,500 per stateroom per month. This provides an excellent opportunity for those looking to travel while working while having all their daily needs taken care of. 

Three Years At Sea

It won’t be something everyone will enjoy, but many will still see the benefits of embarking on a three-year journey that will span 130,000 miles, visit 375 ports of call in 135 different countries, and sail to all seven continents.

Miray Cruises announced it would be opening up bookings for the first-ever three-year world cruise. In essence, the cruise is a variation of the ever-more popular concept of living onboard a ship.

Several companies announced new residency ships in the last year, where guests live onboard instead of ashore. The cruise will sail on November 1, 2023, and return in 2026.

MV Gemini‘s journey around the world will begin in November of this year. Most ports of call on the trip will include several days in port, giving guests a chance to fully explore each destination, which includes 13 of the modern and ancient Wonders of the World

The cruise ship will have been fully modernized by the time she sets sail. Currently, she is in use to housing earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria. The cruise line is aimed towards working professionals that want to spend time at sea while being able to carry out their work remotely. 

Aiming for Remote Workers

For just $85 per day for a stateroom onboard the MV Gemini, guests will be able to enjoy world-class dining, onboard entertainment, and recreational activities with modern workspace facilities such as a first-of-its-kind business center with meeting rooms, 14 offices, a relaxing lounge, and business library. 

“Professionals need connectivity, the right amenities, and the functionality to perform their jobs. There is no other cruise product that offers this sort of flexibility to their customers,” says Mikael Petterson, Managing Director of Life at Sea Cruises.

Miray Cruises' Three-Year World Cruise Image Credit: Miray Cruises

The ship will also include a 24-hour on-call hospital with free medical visits, learning and enrichment classes, and the opportunity to make a positive impact through volunteer and philanthropic initiatives. 

Prices for the cruise start at $29,999 per year, and the entire voyage is all-inclusive. Cabins range from 130 sq ft for Virtual Inside and Oceanview staterooms to 260 sq ft Balcony Suites. 

MV Gemini first sets sail in 1992 as the Crown Jewel for Crown Cruise Line. Since then, the cruise ship has sailed for a long list of owners, including Cunard, Star Cruises, and Celestyal Cruises

Miray Cruises, a Turkish cruise operator and hotel services provider for the cruise industry, acquired the vessel in 2019. The ship is just 19,093 gross tons and has space for 1,074 guests."

World's First and Only Three-Year Cruise to Visit 375 Ports (cruisehive.com)

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

When 274 days is not quite enough:

"

Miray Cruises has announced it will open for bookings for a three-year world cruise on March 1, 2023. The cruise will sail onboard the 1992-built MV Gemini and visit 135 countries on seven continents from November 2023 through the end of 2026. 

The fantastic part of the three-year cruise is that the cost for guests can be as little as $2,500 per stateroom per month. This provides an excellent opportunity for those looking to travel while working while having all their daily needs taken care of. 

Three Years At Sea

It won’t be something everyone will enjoy, but many will still see the benefits of embarking on a three-year journey that will span 130,000 miles, visit 375 ports of call in 135 different countries, and sail to all seven continents.

Miray Cruises announced it would be opening up bookings for the first-ever three-year world cruise. In essence, the cruise is a variation of the ever-more popular concept of living onboard a ship.

Several companies announced new residency ships in the last year, where guests live onboard instead of ashore. The cruise will sail on November 1, 2023, and return in 2026.

MV Gemini‘s journey around the world will begin in November of this year. Most ports of call on the trip will include several days in port, giving guests a chance to fully explore each destination, which includes 13 of the modern and ancient Wonders of the World

The cruise ship will have been fully modernized by the time she sets sail. Currently, she is in use to housing earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria. The cruise line is aimed towards working professionals that want to spend time at sea while being able to carry out their work remotely. 

Aiming for Remote Workers

For just $85 per day for a stateroom onboard the MV Gemini, guests will be able to enjoy world-class dining, onboard entertainment, and recreational activities with modern workspace facilities such as a first-of-its-kind business center with meeting rooms, 14 offices, a relaxing lounge, and business library. 

“Professionals need connectivity, the right amenities, and the functionality to perform their jobs. There is no other cruise product that offers this sort of flexibility to their customers,” says Mikael Petterson, Managing Director of Life at Sea Cruises.

Miray Cruises' Three-Year World Cruise Image Credit: Miray Cruises

The ship will also include a 24-hour on-call hospital with free medical visits, learning and enrichment classes, and the opportunity to make a positive impact through volunteer and philanthropic initiatives. 

Prices for the cruise start at $29,999 per year, and the entire voyage is all-inclusive. Cabins range from 130 sq ft for Virtual Inside and Oceanview staterooms to 260 sq ft Balcony Suites. 

MV Gemini first sets sail in 1992 as the Crown Jewel for Crown Cruise Line. Since then, the cruise ship has sailed for a long list of owners, including Cunard, Star Cruises, and Celestyal Cruises

Miray Cruises, a Turkish cruise operator and hotel services provider for the cruise industry, acquired the vessel in 2019. The ship is just 19,093 gross tons and has space for 1,074 guests."

World's First and Only Three-Year Cruise to Visit 375 Ports (cruisehive.com)

Hmmm....I do have to go into the office occasionally, so I guess this won't work for me.

20 hours ago, Toddcan said:

At some point, I have to imagine "too much of a good thing" kicks in. Just not sure where that line is 🙂

For me it would be right about the time we cross the international dateline and we have all day strategy meetings from 9am EST  to 5pm EST and it starts at Midnight ship time!! 

On 2/28/2023 at 10:17 AM, moposh said:

Hmmm....I do have to go into the office occasionally, so I guess this won't work for me.

I’ve been trying to research that cruise this morning…. And it’s odd that while I can find articles, I can’t find a lot about Miray or how to book this cruise… it seems a little sketch?

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I’ve been trying to research that cruise this morning…. And it’s odd that while I can find articles, I can’t find a lot about Miray or how to book this cruise… it seems a little sketch?

It's a Turkish cruise operator so I don't know how reliable it is.

Miray Cruises | Ship Management & Floating Hotel Accommadations (mirayint.com)

Web site, once you get past home page, is in Turkish (I guess).  I don't think English will be spoken much on the cruise.

Edited by moposh

4 hours ago, moposh said:

It's a Turkish cruise operator so I don't know how reliable it is.

Miray Cruises | Ship Management & Floating Hotel Accommadations (mirayint.com)

Web site, once you get past home page, is in Turkish (I guess).  I don't think English will be spoken much on the cruise.

Yep… the site being in Turkish made me skeptical…

There are many things worth questioning about Life at Sea and Miray. Turkish language websites (given their target audience and staff in their 3 years of existence in cruising) isn't one of them. This isn't a 7-day Aegean sailing marketed primarily to Turkish residents. Their sales agents for Life at Sea are Philippines-based, compared with Turkish agents for Miray in the past. FWIW.

Some things I'm concerned about:

• A newly refurbished ship (30 years old) that no one will see (I presume) prior to the 3-year cruise. Especially as a smaller ship with minimal amenities, promising space to be reassigned for offices and meeting rooms. They're installing Starlink - how well will it work on this ship (especially for "work") vs. how it works on other ships/lines, plus which geographies won't it be permitted?
  • Food options that get repetitive very quickly, especially for a rather new cruise operation with no experience in multi-month itineraries. Especially on nights in port when I'm sure they're hoping guests dine on land (precisely to avoid the weekly meal routine on ship.) The two restaurants - a buffet and...a bigger buffet? - don't inspire either. Good news: Bring all the alcohol you want on board so you mask your meal. lol
  • Ports in the itinerary seem very impressive. Almost too good to be true. Labadee and Cayo Coco - does this company have a signed agreement with RCI? I would understand if the itinerary changes between now and 2026. My fear is that it could change month-to-month. Or change dramatically based on revenue.
  • No track record to judge the operation by. If you're going to live in a small village (800-1000 residents & ~800 service workers) for 3 years you'd like some idea of where you're moving to. While Miray has been around for quite awhile, it has a very short record as a cruise operator (and just as much as a disaster relief ship as a tourist cruise ship) and is undertaking a completely different itinerary. 
  • Not sure where I'd get insurance against the company going under. Not as much an issue for a 7-night cruise booked 2 months in advance. $300K booked effectively 3.5 years in advance of disembarking would be worth some insurance, although there might be a monthly payment plan to mitigate this.

Lots of pros including the price ($165 USD/night inside cabin ($140 single occupancy), $205 outside, $420 suite and $550 for a verandah), itinerary, mostly all-inclusive pricing (BYOB at no additional cost if one drink at supper isn't enough for you), free weekly wash/fold laundry (presumably sufficient for a very casual cruise environment), free wifi (if it's reliable). But that's all on paper - not much experience to go on. If it was a veteran company putting this on, I imagine there'd be a lot of interest. Instead, it sounds like they've already dropped the prices from a soft launch a couple of months back (if I'm reading it correctly.)

If anyone is considering booking one or more segments, I'd be happy to compare notes in PM.

• Like 1

Royal has no experience in a multi month voyage to speak of😉

We've already had ports dropped, its to be expected.

Pretty sure StarLink will have issues for us on Serenade as well. It's a really big ocean

Serenade is 21 years old

Now what surprises me the most is no Black Sea ports and very little middle east.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Now what surprises me the most is no Black Sea ports and very little middle east.

Black Sea. Well Royal does not want you to sleep on the pool deck during a Black Sea voyage. Too many stray mines drifting down even to Turkey and Romania

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 3:18 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

Yep… the site being in Turkish made me skeptical…

I guess I should have been more clear…. My post came form the place of- I had just heard all of these news outlets talking about this cruise, and at that point (way in the olden days of 2 days ago), I could find very little facts in English about this company.  Now I see they have a cute website in English explaining the details and costing, and I had many of the same concerns as worldcruiseforme

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WorldCruiseForMe said:

There are many things worth questioning about Life at Sea and Miray. Turkish language websites (given their target audience and staff in their 3 years of existence in cruising) isn't one of them. This isn't a 7-day Aegean sailing marketed primarily to Turkish residents. Their sales agents for Life at Sea are Philippines-based, compared with Turkish agents for Miray in the past. FWIW.

Sadly, my power of google failed me a few days ago, when I tried to find out more about the company.  Thanks for posting the details about them!  Also, and my following question comes from a place of real curiosity (and not snark)- where did you find that much detailed info about them?

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Royal has no experience in a multi month voyage to speak of😉

We've already had ports dropped, its to be expected.

Pretty sure StarLink will have issues for us on Serenade as well. It's a really big ocean

Serenade is 21 years old

I can see St. Petersburg...but which other ports?  So far I have only booked RCI tours.  Probably a good move.