The two kinds of "library"

JennysUncle

There were many disappointed CC comments when HAL phased out the libraries, and many appreciative ones when libraries began to appear again.  However, the old libraries served two functions, and HAL is only restoring one of them.

When you think of "Library", you think "Books".  The old libraries were great for this, with many bookshelves full of a wide variety of genres, classics and current titles.  The new libraries (at least as seen on the Rotterdam) are again featuring an assortment of real readable books, as opposed to the pitiful collections in the mini-"libraries" that were installed in the Crows Nests.  But it's not going back to an extensive library; now there are multiple copies of dozens of titles instead of single copies of hundreds; but it is a real reading resource.

However, the old libraries also served a completely different function.  The old libraries were sanctuaries; quiet places with comfortable seating to just relax in, or play chess, or read your own book or Kindle, or watch the ocean, without other people chatting and milling around, and canned music.  In other words, more like the "libraries" portrayed in English manor houses or gentlemen's clubs.  

That's a different dimension from the "library of books", and I think that aspect of the old facilities is the one that many people miss.  The new Rotterdam style library room does not address that need at all.

• Like 8

I agree with you.  I was on the Veendam years ago and they had a big library with 

a good librarian.  Like you said, "it was a sanctuary - a quiet place with comfortable seating just to relax in, read your own book, watch the ocean, etc. " I agree it was  "more like the libraries portrayed in English manor houses."

What annoys me is the book exchange. And this is NOT on HAL but on the passengers themselves.

Exchange means leave a book, take a book.

I’ve seen it full on embarkation day and completely empty two days later. I’ve seen passengers leave no books and walk away with a handful of four. 

I typically bring at least half a dozen books to donate (gets rid of already read books and lightens the luggage on the way home, too) 

I’m onboard the Oosterdam right now and will be curious as to how full the book exchange will be on the last day.

If every person on CC would leave at least one book on every cruise there may be a fuller library on day three.

Now that I think of it I am going to start marking all my books from now on as donated by a member of cruisecritic.com ( yah, free advertising for us, too.) 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

What annoys me is the book exchange. And this is NOT on HAL but on the passengers themselves.

I’ve seen it full on embarkation day and completely empty two days later. I’ve seen passengers leave no books and walk away with a handful of four. 

I typically bring at least half a dozen books to donate (gets rid of already read books and lightens the luggage on the way home, too) 

I’m onboard the Oosterdam right now and will be curious as to how full the book exchange will be on the last day.

If every person on CC would leave at least one book on every cruise there may be a fuller library on day three.

Now that I think of it I am going to start marking all my books from now on as donated by a member of cruisecritic.com ( yah, free advertising for us, too.) 

"Take a book leave a book" doesn't mean literally. It's like the old "take a penny, leave a penny" tray at the cash register. My interpretation is "If you need a book, you're welcome to take one. If you have one to donate, then you're welcome to do so."   Doesn't have to happen at the same time.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

I typically bring at least half a dozen books to donate (gets rid of already read books and lightens the luggage on the way home, )

Yes my DW brings a few books to leave (and fill the empty suitcase with port "treasures") and its the first place she goes, before going to cabin, to look for books she hasn't read. 

The Rotterdam library was a nice attempt but is more like a bookstore as opposed to the old Explorer's Cafe area. 

I always bring books to leave on the ship. Years ago I read of a group called "Setting Books Free ". The idea was that you register with them. They gave you a number and a stamp that gave the name of the group, the idea of setting books free and asked that the person who " found" the book ,let them know where the book was found. They also asked that the finder set the book free when they were done with it.

So now I set my books free at airports ,on ships, any where I travel and finish a book. Its fun. My children think its the height of nerdiness..... 

• Like 3

On 12/25/2022 at 7:16 PM, LocoLoco1 said:

KINDLE killed of hard-copy books in a major way also; but Cunard still has nice libraries, BTW. 

I rarely found the books I wanted to read in libraries on ships in previous times. Kindle has been a life-saver for me, enabling me to travel light yet carry dozens of books with me. 

The biggest use I've made of ship's libraries is to research last minute port changes. It seems to me that general reference books dealing with specific itineraries are one of the best categories to have in ship libraries...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ClippyJoe said:

I always bring books to leave on the ship. Years ago I read of a group called "Setting Books Free ". The idea was that you register with them. They gave you a number and a stamp that gave the name of the group, the idea of setting books free and asked that the person who " found" the book ,let them know where the book was found. They also asked that the finder set the book free when they were done with it.

So now I set my books free at airports ,on ships, any where I travel and finish a book. Its fun. My children think its the height of nerdiness..... 

Building a "Little Free Library" in your neighborhood is another way to recycle books. Or you can find one near you at littlefreelibrary dot org 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I rarely found the books I wanted to read in libraries on ships in previous times. Kindle has been a life-saver for me, enabling me to travel light yet carry dozens of books with me. 

The biggest use I've made of ship's libraries is to research last minute port changes. It seems to me that general reference books dealing with specific itineraries are one of the best categories to have in ship libraries...

My DW says she likes the feel of "holding a book and turning pages" and loves the old ship libraries. I thought they were nice when the travel books were plenty but they seemed to disappear (as did most of the books). 

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've heard the same from others, but if there aren't books whose pages I'm interested in turning, it's a moot point.

She's never had trouble finding something to read in the take one/give one section. There are books, just not anything I read. She also meets others with books and swap and then leave them onboard. Of course these days digital reading is probably healthier (except on the eyes 😁)

2 hours ago, ClippyJoe said:

I've heard about setting books free by leaving a book with a note in it saying "I'm leaving this here on purpose, I hope you enjoy it" or something like that. I didn't know there's a group to register with. 

I suppose it is nerdy, but nothing wrong with that!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 3:41 PM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

The Konigsdam Library (or space where books are) is pretty pitiable.  Space is maybe 4' x 6' with 4 or 6 shelves. The two times I sailed her this year, I left books I had brought on board after I read them. There were very few HAL books. 

"Space where books are" is a good name. Certainly NOT my idea of a library. I loved browsing a ship's library. I could always find something good to read. My best find was on a HAL Canada cruise. We had a stop at PEI and planned to go to Green Gables, so I had reread Anne just before the trip. Imagine my surprise to find a bio of the author in the ship's library! That greatly enhanced my visit to Green Gables.

On 12/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, ShipWalker said:

I'll suggest that those people aren't reading those books but using the library for a third very important function.  Those people are taking the books so that they have something to use to save lounge chairs by the pool.  This is much safer than using your own stuff in case you forget to come back to your lounger.  Please don't worry about the books, the pool attendants return the books to the library before the beginning of the next cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'll suggest that those people aren't reading those books but using the library for a third very important function.  Those people are taking the books so that they have something to use to save lounge chairs by the pool.  This is much safer than using your own stuff in case you forget to come back to your lounger.  Please don't worry about the books, the pool attendants return the books to the library before the beginning of the next cruise.

Which is something I am very opposed to.

Cruiselines find ‘Wasted Spaces’ onboard then somebody is tasked with wringing some revenue out of it. Libraries to CoffeeBars is but the latest. Remember vast windy (and empty) top-decks?? Waterslides, roller coasters, climbing walls now. Promenades? Veranda cabins now. Times change…

16 hours ago, ClippyJoe said:

Sigh, one's children can be so judgmental when it comes to their parents.

OTOH, I give you a 👍.

• Like 1