Is there enough between flights time?

phabric

Our cruises finishes Nov 23/23.  I have never been to Amstertam airport before

Thur - Nov 23/23 - KLM #1602

FCO (Rome) - 12:45pm - AMS (Amsterdam) - 3:20pm

stopover - 2 hr 35 m

Thur Nov 23/23 - KLM #695

AMS - 5:30pm - YYZ (Toronto) 7:50pm

Will 2 hr 35 m be enough time between flights?

Will we have to go through any customs/immigration in AMS?

No problems - 2 hr 35 m is enough time in Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam.

Passport control when you leave Schengen area in Amsterdam airport.

No customs - in FCO your  luggage will be checked through to YYZ.

just note the time to get from Civitavecchia cruise port to FCO.

note: check if ETIAS will be required for entry into Schengen area by November 2023 - the system is expected to be fully operational in November 2023.

Edited by hallasm

4 minutes ago, phabric said:

Will we need to go through any customs/immigration coming from Rome?

No - there will be no custom or immigration check when traveling within the Schengen Area.

(I did submit my previous post before it was finished)

Edited by hallasm

3 minutes ago, phabric said:

Will we need to go through any customs/immigration coming from Rome?

You will have outbound Schengen immigration.  This will occur as you move from the intra-Schengen to extra-Schengen portions of the terminal.

Customs when you arrive in Canada.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hallasm said:

in particular, you must check about 1 month before your trip whether ETIAS is required when entering Schengen.

Thanks, for the ETIAS.  They keep changing the date to start.  We are going Nov 8-23, 2023.  I will check near the date.

Edited by phabric

22 hours ago, phabric said:

Our cruises finishes Nov 23/23.  I have never been to Amstertam airport before

Thur - Nov 23/23 - KLM #1602

FCO (Rome) - 12:45pm - AMS (Amsterdam) - 3:20pm

stopover - 2 hr 35 m

Thur Nov 23/23 - KLM #695

AMS - 5:30pm - YYZ (Toronto) 7:50pm

Will 2 hr 35 m be enough time between flights?

Will we have to go through any customs/immigration in AMS?

I book with EzAir and closer to payment I decide which is better airline or EzAir.

I noticed that EzAir also offers return flights with Delta or Delta + WestJet or Air France with a 1 stopover either from 1 hr 3 m to 3 hr 48 m in ATL in economy there is no premium economy flights on Nov 23.

Which airport, airline - KLM or Delta and stopover time would be a better flight home?

By "return" do you mean flights both ways through ATL? Which airlines would actualy be operating the flights?

Have you checked to minimum connecting times? One hour three minutes seems pretty tight unless you have a high risk tolerance.

Edited by Dancer Bob

2 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

By "return" do you mean flights both ways through ATL? Which airlines would actualy be operating the flights?

Have you checked to minimum connecting times? One hour three minutes seems pretty tight unless you have a high risk tolerance.

I have booked with Princess EzAir.

I have Air Canada non stop YYZ-FCO -  Nov 7/2023

Air Canada does not have non stop on Thursday, Nov 23 - FCO-YYZ.

I have booked Nov 23 - 1 stop - KLM - AMS and AMS-YYZ with 2 hr 10min stopover.

I can get roughly the same price

Delta or Delta & WestJet 

with either 1hr 3m or 3hr 48 m stopover in ATL.

I am wonder which airline is better KLM or Delta?

If you connect on KLM in Europe, your luggage will be transferred in AMS and you don’t have to do anything about it. If you transfer in the US, you have to claim your luggage in ATL and recheck it. In addition, the US does not have sterile international transfer, so you would have to go through US immigration, making the 1 hr 3 min connection essentially undoable.

Just now, BBWC said:

If you connect on KLM in Europe, your luggage will be transferred in AMS and you don’t have to do anything about it. If you transfer in the US, you have to claim your luggage in ATL and recheck it. In addition, the US does not have sterile international transfer, so you would have to go through US immigration, making the 1 hr 3 min connection essentially undoable.

Thanks, that is want I wanted to know.

Did I see 1hr 3 min to change at ATL from international to domestic?  That would be nearly impossible, especially with any checked luggage.  The procedure is that you must go through immigration which can be fast or not!  But then you must retrieve your luggage (it can often take 30-45 min for luggage to even come up) walk through Customs (not normally a problem) and then recheck your luggage (if it is properly tagged this is simply a luggage drop).  But then, you must go through a TSA security line which we have sometimes found very slow (even though we have pre-check).  At that point you are free to go to your next gate which likely would involve taking the internal train to the proper terminal.  Many airlines require that you board your flight 15 min before scheduled departure.

When we go through ATL from International to Domestic we like to have a minimum of 2 hours.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:00 PM, Hlitner said:

Did I see 1hr 3 min to change at ATL from international to domestic?  That would be nearly impossible, especially with any checked luggage.  ....

When we go through ATL from International to Domestic we like to have a minimum of 2 hours.

Hank

The OP is heading to Canada so it sounds like it be International to International.  They indicated it would be a Delta-WestJet connection.

International-International are rare at US airports to the point I don't think any of them are setup to do that type of connection without claiming bags or bypassing US customs for the hour or two your in the US.   Most US airports don't even have separate international concourses.  

Much better to make that type of connection in Europe or Canada.

Edited by em-sk

9 hours ago, em-sk said:

The OP is heading to Canada so it sounds like it be International to International.  They indicated it would be a Delta-WestJet connection.

International-International are rare at US airports to the point I don't think any of them are setup to do that type of connection without claiming bags or bypassing US customs for the hour or two your in the US.   Most US airports don't even have separate international concourses.  

Much better to make that type of connection in Europe or Canada.

Yep I transited through Newark between Costa Rica and Ireland so I had to collect my bags and walk them through customs before putting handing them back over to the airline desk. 

However if flying via Ireland both Dublin and Shannon have US pre-clearance facility so arrivals from there into the US are treated as domestic arrivals. I think there may be one or two other European airports with that facility now too.  I used to travel from Shannon to Arizona regularly in my previous job and on a couple of occasions I got off the plane in Newark and literally walked to the gate directly opposite my arrival gate to get onto the flight to Arizona.

11 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Only DUB and SNN.

Hmm i just checked Wikipedia and it seems there were/are plans for a bunch of other European airports to have pre-clearance but none are up and running yet. I know there are some flights from other foreign airports that route via Shannon just to do the pre-clearance at the moment. 

B33ED5D2-E55F-415A-BBFD-52634383DC74.png

5FF3C3BC-10EB-4647-924E-E0BC81270845.png

On 1/1/2023 at 12:33 AM, em-sk said:

It's kind of a "chicken or the egg" situation. I would argue that INTL-INTL are rare not because of the airport setup, but because of the government. If the government would make it easier for INTL-INTL connections, I am sure the airlines and airports would jump on it. American, Delta, and United would, I am sure, kill to be able to easily transport passengers from, say, Tokyo to Sao Paulo via Dallas or Los Angeles. 

On 12/31/2022 at 4:15 PM, Dancer Bob said:

Can't speak to ATL, but ORD- a nightmare, well over 2 hours with NEXUS and just carry-on.  AMS for sure.

Eh, I've rarely had issues at ORD myself. I've done Global Entry/carry-on via ORD four times in the last two months (2x London, 1x Tokyo, 1x Frankfurt) and it's been pretty quick each time. In all my years of connecting via ORD, I've never had a wait anywhere near two hours. Not saying it didn't happen to you, just saying that it's not something I see or plan for. 

20 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

It's kind of a "chicken or the egg" situation. I would argue that INTL-INTL are rare not because of the airport setup, but because of the government. If the government would make it easier for INTL-INTL connections, I am sure the airlines and airports would jump on it.

Iberia used to run a mini-hub at MIA, with short-haul A319 jets going to about 10 or 11 Caribbean and Central American destinations.  They had a sterile international transit area, which facilitated traffic to/from Europe.  This was ended in 2004, when the US government ended the sterile transit area and required all passengers to process through immigration, customs and security.  Also, the USA required that passengers have the appropriate visas for USA entry, even for just the connection.  Those requirements made the hub unfeasible, both from a logistic and financial standpoint.

• Like 1