Who buys yearly trip insurance?

spleenstomper

3 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

What kind of coverage does the Chase Sapphire provide?  Just medical or do they cover, for example cancelling a trip because of health?  I've been looking for alternatives as we've gotten older (and insurance is way more expensive) also DH has a pre-existing condition now.

Chase Sapphire  insures trip expense, no medical expense, up to $10,000 per person, but would reimburse a trip cancelation or interruption for medical reasons. . All travel payments should go on only that card. We had a medical emergency and evacuation. Four insurers were involved. Three paid immediately with minimal documentation. Chase required several pages of documentation, kept asking for more and  took two months to pay. It is an option, but be prepared to dot your i's and cross your t's. Chase, however, did quickly provide a bilingual medical doctor to consult by phone with the local physicians, who spoke very limited English,  and advise us on the best course of action, which was invaluable.

18 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

GeoBlue covers medical &  evacuation.  Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve Card covers the trip cancellation and interruption up to $10K for one person or $20K for two people (per trip).   Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve Card also has some nice perks for travel purchases.  

This is a helpful article comparing both of them.  

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-sapphire-preferred-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve/

Thanks for the article it has a lot of good links to others as well.  All these cards seem to have one thing in common…they won’t cover if there is a pre-existing condition.  I could get one for me but will have to go elsewhere for DH.

19 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

GeoBlue only covers trips outside the US for medical coverage

For purposes of the GeoBlue policy, on board an Ocean going  cruise ship is considered outside of the US and will cover medical expenses on board.

20 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

GeoBlue only covers trips outside the US for medical coverage

Yes, that is why I buy it....I need medical coverage when outside the good ole USA.  I've got medical insurance while living in the good ole USA. 

I would completely agree that dealing with the Chase insurance claims is an exercise in patience and frustration.  The Claims Examiners (rumor says it is the Chubb Group) seem to do everything possible to delay and wear down claimants.  If one plays the game and does not give up they will pay a claim (after many months).  Those claims examiners also like to ask for things that can be impossible to get such as a letter from an airline stating they are not giving you a voucher.  Ever try to get anything, in writing, from an airline?  Most airlines do not even answer their phones and seldom respond to a written inquiry.

Hank

I do. TD Insurance in Canada. Annual 17-D medical plan. Latest premium C$150 for 2022-3.  In 2022, travelled about 60D total; cruises 40D. Never had to make a claim.

Their covid coverage ends if Canada raises the level of the Health Advisory.

Edited by HappyInVan

On 12/28/2022 at 11:24 PM, Rusty Scupper said:

Chase Sapphire  insures trip expense, no medical expense, up to $10,000 per person, but would reimburse a trip cancelation or interruption for medical reasons. . All travel payments should go on only that card. We had a medical emergency and evacuation. Four insurers were involved. Three paid immediately with minimal documentation. Chase required several pages of documentation, kept asking for more and  took two months to pay. It is an option, but be prepared to dot your i's and cross your t's. Chase, however, did quickly provide a bilingual medical doctor to consult by phone with the local physicians, who spoke very limited English,  and advise us on the best course of action, which was invaluable.

To be precise, there are 2 different Chase Sapphire cards and benefits. The RESERVE (more expensive) card does include $100K medical evaluation and $2,500 medical/ dental. Granted, the medical wouldn't go far with any real problems. I've never used mine.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-sapphire-cards-insurance-benefits-which-is-better/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We purchased an annual policy from Geo Blue this year which covers International travel and medical evacuation, if needed.  It was very reasonable cost--I believe under $300 to cover both my husband and I for one year.  It is good to know it also would cover us on a cruise in International waters.  We have not had to use it, but thankful we have it, if needed.  

A friend told me she buys an Allianz Executive annual travel policy.  She did use it when she was hit by a motorcycle out of the country some years ago and said they were easy to deal with and paid all her medical expenses,  including surgery and hospitalization. She said they even paid for a family member to fly overseas and stay with her during her hospitalization and to fly home with her.  She says it covers her in internationally,  on cruise ships and also 50 miles or more from home in the US.  Maybe another insurance option to explore.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 4:31 PM, Cruising-along said:

We used Allianz for a yearly policy pre-Covid.  Never again.  It was a nightmare from start to finish getting them to make good on a claim.  We finally were successful but it took months and a lot of phone calls, emails, and stress.  

I recently made a claim w/ Allianz due to a medical issue on a cruise and trip interruption. I received a denial letter about 5 days after I submitted the claim w/ excellent documentation.

Had my lawyer send them a demand letter pointing out how my claim was covered under the policy. I received checks paying the claim in full about 10 days later.

Seems their policy is to auto-deny and force you to make a fuss.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

I recently made a claim w/ Allianz due to a medical issue on a cruise and trip interruption. I received a denial letter about 5 days after I submitted the claim w/ excellent documentation.

Had my lawyer send them a demand letter pointing out how my claim was covered under the policy. I received checks paying the claim in full about 10 days later.

And the larger the claim, the more fuss they force you to make. 😞  Ours was quite large, we weren't about to give up when we knew we were right.  We will never use them again after that experience.

29 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

15 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

And the larger the claim, the more fuss they force you to make. 😞  Ours was quite large, we weren't about to give up when we knew we were right.  We will never use them again after that experience.

I didn't go into much detail in my previous post about our travel insurance experience, but it was quite different.

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a broker (no extra cost for traveler) and work with several vetted insurers.  We learned about them here on CC, and needed to claim the entire cost of our first expensive trip!

And we've had other claims, including other large ones (alas).

ALL were paid without nonsense, and promptly.

Two minor (trivial) exceptions: 

1) I forgot to get receipts for 2 taxi receipts (about $5 total), so... no payment.  Receipts are *critical* (they have the right to avoid fraud, etc.).  I was annoyed, but didn't complain.  And learned my lesson, the cheap way!

2) One claim that was not weather related (very elderly MIL landed in hospital with heart trouble days before our planned departure).  However, when we submitted the claim, there had just been some really bad weather, including 2 hurricanes, so the insurers were backed up.  One call to Steve (owner of TIS), and within about a week or two, we had our check.

He's also helped us with problems overseas, when I landed in hospital, and we wanted to try to recover the last part of our trip rather than fly home early.

And he and his associates are incredibly patient with the "What if" questions 😉 

Our insurer was Travel Insured, but let the folks at TIS help you find the best policy and insurer for your particular needs.

GC

• Like 1

I filed a claim with Allianz a few years back.  Cruise from Charleston to Bermuda.  Had to turn around on our way home for a medical emergency which made us 12 hours late arriving back in Charleston.  I have poor night vision so spent the night at the hotel where my car was parked from my pre-cruise stay.

I was reimbursed for the hotel costs within days.  Not a big claim, but absolutely no problems with them.  Didn't have to submit anything except the hotel charge.

I just renewed my plan (it includes Covid coverage) for $280.  I'm a 70-year-old female with no major medical issues.  I really buy it for the emergency evac coverage.

We buy Geo Blue and Allianz and have unfortunately used both.  First time in Vienna with Geo Blue and we were directed to go to a hospital.  They provided all of the information and called ahead so it was super simple.  Fortunately it was not something serious.  The second time was this past summer when we had a death in the family in the middle of a trip in France and Allianz paid for our travel to the funeral (and non refundable expenses) and back to resume our trip a week later.

• Thanks 2

On 12/28/2022 at 12:59 PM, Mary229 said:

If I am traveling internationally often I buy a yearly GeoBlue medical insurance policy.  Otherwise all of the coverage I want is attached to my Chase Sapphire credit card, that costs under $100 per year

What covers medical evacuation  not just on the ship but from a foreign land based hospital to a USA based  hospital   .These are actually 2 different medical evacuation type policies  .I do not believe that the Chase Sapphire  credit card covers medical evacuation  . Med Jet & like policies will cover  medical evacuation  from a foreign based airport to a US airport but other medical evacuation  built into  trip policies  will not cover that . The Med Jet or other type similar policies are bought  on a yearly basis 

Allianz sells yearly trip policies & are imo reasonable especially as we age .

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

What covers medical evacuation  not just on the ship but from a foreign land based hospital to a USA based  hospital   .These are actually 2 different medical evacuation type policies  .I do not believe that the Chase Sapphire  credit card covers medical evacuation  . Med Jet & like policies will cover  medical evacuation  from a foreign based airport to a US airport but other medical evacuation  built into  trip policies  will not cover that . The Med Jet or other type similar policies are bought  on a yearly basis 

There may be some confusion from the above post.

One *needs* to read the terms of your specific travel insurance (or own health insurance, if sufficient foreign coverage is included).

"Medical evacuation" is a broad term.  It can include trasportation from a hospital that doesn't have treatment that is judged to be satisfactory (but who is judging, and based upon what?) to a "better" hospital.  That may or may not be satisfactory to the patient or family...

And it may or may not be to a "USA based hospital".  It may be to a "better" hospital, but one that is still "overseas" (from a USA-based perspective).

It could also be from a USA-based hospital to a needed "better" USA-based hospital.

MedJetAssist does more than "cover  medical evacuation  from a foreign based airport to a US airport".  If you are covered and are an INpatient in a foreign or domestic hospital at least 150 miles from home (for USA-based clients; no idea about otherwise), then YOU get to decide if you want to be medevac'd to the USA-based hospital of your choice, not just to an airport.  You obviously need to be medically stable enough for full medevac transport (air ambulance, medical staff, if warranted), but if you aren't stable enough for that... you probably aren't going anywhere for a while(?).   And the receiving hospital has to agree to accept you.

The real advantage is that no beancounters make that decision and no local medical staff are put in the possibly awkward situation of declaring themselves not up to the task of treating you, etc.

Importantly, MJA does not cover any of the medical care once you arrive at the new hospital, only the "medical evacuation" and care during that transport.

As with any insurance (travel or otherwise), or any contract at all, of course, it's critical to *read* the full terms and conditions, including any *exclusions".

And an insurance agent/broker should be willing to explain any sections that you don't understand, or, importantly, point out the specific sections that DO cover what you are looking for.

Some of the annual policies have limits that may *not* be satisfactory for some people.

That might include annual limits that could be used up in one trip (or may not even be sufficient for one "event"), leaving one with no coverage for other trips within that year... and it may be too late to get other insurance for those other trips that were already scheduled.

"It's complicated" can be an understatement sometimes... 😞 

GC

• Like 2

We very strongly agree with GeezerCouple in that folks need to take the time to read a policy (including the definitions) BEFORE purchasing!  Nothing can be more important.  When you find out that your major claim in not covered,  for some reason specified in the policy, it is too late.

For those who cannot or will not read a policy, find yourself a good/honest travel insurance broker (they sell products from multiple insurance companies) who will take the time to "interview you" on the phone and suggest the product that best meets your needs.

What not to do is simply buy the policy sold by your travel/cruise agent or the cruise line without carefully reading that policy.   I will make the blanket statement that nearly all cruise line policies do not have sufficient medical coverage for folks that have no other medical coverage (outside the country).

Hank

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We very strongly agree with GeezerCouple in that folks need to take the time to read a policy (including the definitions) BEFORE purchasing!  Nothing can be more important.  When you find out that your major claim in not covered,  for some reason specified in the policy, it is too late.

For those who cannot or will not read a policy, find yourself a good/honest travel insurance broker (they sell products from multiple insurance companies) who will take the time to "interview you" on the phone and suggest the product that best meets your needs.

What not to do is simply buy the policy sold by your travel/cruise agent or the cruise line without carefully reading that policy.   I will make the blanket statement that nearly all cruise line policies do not have sufficient medical coverage for folks that have no other medical coverage (outside the country).

Hank

On 12/28/2022 at 12:59 PM, Mary229 said:

If I am traveling internationally often I buy a yearly GeoBlue medical insurance policy.  Otherwise all of the coverage I want is attached to my Chase Sapphire credit card, that costs under $100 per year

16 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Not quite right.  Almost any medical evac policy will cover the costs to be transferred from one hospital to another hospital.  However, the devil is in the details.  Even Medjetassist (the Cadillac of med evac policies) requires the approval of the attending physician, receiving physician, and the insurance company.  

I will add that there is an interesting dynamic when your evacuation coverage is part of the medical policy (such as with GeoBlue).  When DW had a serious leg injury that was initially treated in Japan, we suggested to GeoBlue that they had two choices (with which they agreed). 1.  We could stay in Japan for several weeks to get additional treatment or 2. They could medically evacuate her back to our home town.  If they had chosen option 1, their cost would have far exceeded the cost of medical evacuation (which cost them about $10,000).  Why?  Because once back in the USA, GeoBlue was off the hook for any additional medical expenses.  If we had stayed in Japan for further treatment, GeoBlue would have been on the hook for all the medical expenses.

I should add that our Chase Sapphire Reserve Card DOES INCLUDE $100,000 of medical evacuation coverage.  We never used that coverage because GeoBlue was primary and included $500,000 of medical evacuation.

I will also mention that Medical Evacuation is a complex situation which involves discussion/negotiation between multiple parties.  In our case we had a multi person phone call with our ship's physician, the insurance companies medical case manager, and the insurance companies own air travel expert.

Hank

• Thanks 1

I had the experience od being hospitalized in Rome Italy back in 2008   .My blood pressure was 212 & I needed quality care . At the time we were insured with American Express (no longer sells trip insurance ) .However ,yo be admitted into the private Rome  American hospital   in Rome we had to pay in advance $15000 .00  .They do not take insurance . I was in ICU one day & 2 day follow up .Great hospital ,quality better than any US  hospital   .The final bill was $7800 .got credit for the balance   .American Express insurance paid for all hospital  bills ,cab rides ,hotel charges for my wife ,business class back to the states for me  ie  .   

Just be aware that your insurance covers medical ie but you may have to pony up in front ,so have enough line of credit on your credit cards .also being 2 ATM cards as one did not work for me in  Dublin airport

Edited by mcrcruiser

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Not quite right.  Almost any medical evac policy will cover the costs to be transferred from one hospital to another hospital.  However, the devil is in the details.  Even Medjetassist (the Cadillac of med evac policies) requires the approval of the attending physician, receiving physician, and the insurance company.  

I will add that there is an interesting dynamic when your evacuation coverage is part of the medical policy (such as with GeoBlue).  When DW had a serious leg injury that was initially treated in Japan, we suggested to GeoBlue that they had two choices (with which they agreed). 1.  We could stay in Japan for several weeks to get additional treatment or 2. They could medically evacuate her back to our home town.  If they had chosen option 1, their cost would have far exceeded the cost of medical evacuation (which cost them about $10,000).  Why?  Because once back in the USA, GeoBlue was off the hook for any additional medical expenses.

I should add that our Chase Sapphire Reserve Card DOES INCLUDE $100,000 of medical evacuation coverage.  We never used that coverage because GeoBlue was primary and included $500,000 of medical evacuation.

Hank

That is good info Hank ,Thank you 

Cliff

Hank  Although we would love to travel afar  age has it;;s  limits  .my DW 83   & me 84 sets limits .We no longer fly with the hassles of flying  no matter even first class . Thus ,we are limited to cruises  R/T  from either San Diego or the World Cruise Center ,San Pedro Calif. 

You are apparently still young enough to venture out further .Enjoy it all 😀

Cliff

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Again, there is some confusion here.

As mentioned above, MJA does not cover "medical evacuation  from a foreign based airport to a US airport".  It covers hospital to hospital.

Indeed, a bad quirk is that if you a seriously ill but are having trouble getting to "a hospital", MJA doesn't (yet) cover you.  And there needs to be a place for fixed wing aircraft to land vaguely nearby.  They don't do helicopter rescues.

(I think there are some services that cater to more adventurous travelers where they may provide help from some wild location...?)

And evacuation from "on a ship" that is at sea... that's handled by various government/military trained units, not by "medevac" companies.

For a ship at a port, it's likely to be a local ambulance, regardless of how "advanced" the equipment is in that ambulance.  (We know.  And that ambulance was going so slowly, that every single car that caught up with us would pass us, in the ambulance, at the first opportunity! 😠 )

One thing to keep in mind, that I think might not usually be seriously considered, is "what is the medical care going to be like where you are going?  Who, with what equipment, will be providing services from the start... and how long until you and they can "meet up"?

As for upfront costs, YES, we keep several high-limit credit cards with us when we travel!
However, at least some travel insurers will forward some money or make guarantees if required.  However, that will take TIME!  And in a real emergency... "Here's the card, just charge whatever....!!"  We'll sort it out later.

In that ER's billing office, there were several signs about exactly which travel insurers they would "work with" to accept guarantees.  Yup, a real tourist destination!

[NOTE however, someone posting here on CC maybe a year ago (?) where there was no way to process a credit card.  That became a true nightmare.  It did not have a tragic ending, but it sure could have!  But no, we can't/won't travel around with $25k or whatever in our pockets at all times...!  That was a *very* unusual and unfortunate combination of conditions for them.]

After that ambulance ride described above, we now consider very seriously what the likely medical care would be, realizing that even at home one could be "too far from help", etc.

Credit where due: Fortunately, the ship's medical staff had stabilized DH the same way our top flight medical center/teaching hospital would have done.  (That was quite a nice surprise to hear after we got home.)  We were impressed at the time, actually, and we each have medical-related backgrounds.  Had the ship's medical staff not done such a good job?  I probably would *not* be posting about "our" travels...

GC