Anybody cruised w/Seabourn? Debating

dcsam

Debating between a few lines for an Alaska cruise.  We've cruised with HAL many times, and enjoy their casual atmosphere.  Love their walk-around decks too.  But not the crowds.  

Seabourn Alaska cruises are convenient for us (no flights).  And their passenger/space ratio makes me believe that crowds won't exist.  But no walk-around deck. 

Has anybody cruised  both HAL and Seabourn (Alaska)?  I'm curious how HAL dress compares with Seabourn on an Alaskan cruise.  Some friends cruised with Seabourn and thought it was fairly casual.  But they are 'fancier' than we are.  My husband is also 'walking challenged' and would be using a wheelchair around decks. I already know that HAL is 'wheelchair' friendly'.  

I'm also considering Oceania Regatta RT out of Seattle. But we've cruised aboard the sister ships of Regatta and know the 'open and airy' feeling and space is more limited compared to HAL (thinking Zaandam).

Thank you.

• Like 1

We've done three Seabourn cruises (two transatlantic) and they were all exceptional.  Best Seabourn line ever from a fellow cruiser: 

Steward:  "Sir, is there anything at all you would like?"

Passenger: "Yes, I would like to be hungry."

Back in the day they would bring you caviar in the hot tub.  Likely not the case anymore, but it and Seadream Yacht Club are the finest experiences at sea -- - though now closely matched by larger Viking Ocean vessels.

We did HAL on inside passage to Alaska with friends from Seattle and selected HAL because we were going in and out of Seattle.  An excellent experience on HAL Alaska cruise but when you talk Seabourn you're talking two levels above.  And we are small ship lovers.  Bring bug juice and plan on rain in Sitka and Ketchikan - they get like 250 days a year of the wet stuff.

Both lines AFAIK are casual, no tie/jacket required nor requested.  I think 'country club casual' is the term in vogue.  Some sportcoats, some sweaters, almost no ties.

Not certain about the mobility issue but I'm confident Seabourn will handle it at least as well as HAL.  There is a significant "blue hair" population among a variety of ages of nouveau riche cruisers on Seabourn, but I wouldn't consider them fancy - just successful folks that know what they want and enjoy time with like-minded cruisers.

We also have over 60 days on Oceania and they were OK, but I'd prefer HAL or Seabourn.  There was something always slightly off with Oceania - even on 15 days Rio to Lisbon.

Either way, you'll be happy, but Seabourn is a bucket list gig - not mainstream.

We're doing Zaandam in May because the NE/CAN itinerary aligns nicely with a reunion in NE.  Looking forward to it and all reports are good except they can't find a new flat screen TV installer.

Hope this helps.

Shack

• Like 3

Thanks for the information.  We love, love Viking too. It’s our preferred line.  But cruising with them means a flight. We enjoyed Oceania, but in many ways, it seems closer to the mainstream lines.  
we’ve cruised with HAL out of Seattle and Vancouver.  While Seattle is easier to get to, I much prefer Vancouver cruise routes. 
I think it comes down to Volendam and Seabourn’s Odyssey.  Tough call.  

• Like 1

We have cruised twice with Seabourn and loved it.  We did not go to Alaska on Seabourn though.  Once was Antarctica and the second time was Iceland/Greenland/Canada.  As I recall the Quest had side promenade decks but they didn't go all the way around.  On one main deck they have something called Seabourn Square where everyone congregates, and there are two doors to a rear deck which makes it easy to view wildlife from there.  They also have a nice forward facing bar/viewing area similar to the Crow's Nest, and it had a door on both port and starboard to quickly move outside to a deck at the front of the ship to view glaciers, icebergs, wildlife, etc.  Dress onboard would be smart casual for dining each night.  They have one main dining room which has dinner starting at 7 pm.  I know they wouldn't allow jeans in the dining room though.  Food was excellent, and their "expedition" staff was outstanding.  I'm sure they must do something special like that for Alaska.  You will be spoiled by their staterooms!  

Here's a link to some frequently asked questions about onboard life and you can also see lots of info about accessibility.

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/faq.onboard-life.812.html

Good luck with your decision.  

• Like 3

With the possible exception of the Prinsendam, which is no longer with us, Holland America doesn't compete with Seabourn.  As with most upscale things, you generally pay a lot more to get a little more.  Seabourn is superior to the Holland America product, but you do pay the premium for it.  Some of us find we can cruise longer or more often with Holland and still have a very enjoyable experience.  Others prefer quality over quantity.  You may be turned off by additional charges, but I feel I have the option to choose as opposed to feeling like I have paid up front for everything even if I don't drink, eat, tour, etc. 

Seabourn ships, as nice as they are, don't have the extras the newer and larger Holland ships have: the walk around promenade deck, the larger mid ship pool with removeable covered roof, the variety of entertainment venues, and not to be ignored more comfortable ride in heavy seas.

If you can justify the premium fare, I would suggest you try Seabourn.

• Like 2

We have been frequent HAL cruisers in the past with close to 900 actual days on her. We also have numerous days on other lines. Four and a half years ago we did our first Seabourn cruise, 14 days in Alaska and loved it. We have also done numerous HAL and Princess Alaska cruises, particularly when they were both doing the longer itineraries. We enjoyed them all, but Seabourn most of all - perhaps it was the novelty of something new!! They do have zodiac tours available along with other shore excursions in some of the ports.

We also did a Seabourn transatlantic, a 24 day Iceland/Greenland/Canada cruise that began in Dover and ended in Montreal last July/August. We also did a 2019/2020 24 day Antarctica/South Georgia cruise and it was amazing. After having done Antarctica four other times as "drive bys" it was wonderful to actually set foot. And we are going on another Antarctic/South Georgia/Falklands trip in just over three weeks. So, yes we are hooked. And we continue to cruise on HAL still and also have a Princess cruise booked.

It's as dressy or as casual (almost) as you want. To clarify what StLouisCruiser said about jeans, that just changed in the last couple of weeks. "Nice" jeans are now allowed in the dining room except on formal/gala/dressy night. And caviar is still available, although the portions may not be as large as they were in the past.

And I don't know anything about accessibility, but I'm sure it is handled well. 

• Like 2

We did Seabourn in the Caribbean a few years ago.  The dining room service was really slow but the wine glass was kept filled.  The excursions staff was not very helpful since they had locals come onboard to educate us on the day in port.  Most of us felt like we needed the local input ahead of docking so we could make plans.  The staterooms are big with a walk in closet!

We did Azamara in New Zealand and the feel of the ships was more like HAL.  The rooms are considerably smaller than Seabourn.  The staff was wonderful and the food and service were very good.  Azamara was somewhat more casual.  They have new owners now but I suspect they haven’t changed much.

In Alaska I would be concerned about the smaller ships like Seabourn having to tender while the bigger ships will dock.  We were on the Maasdam (small ship) in Juneau a few years ago and had to tender.  Not a happy experience and it was cold and rainy which made it worse.  You may also have to tender in Sitka but not so bad there (very scenic).  Holland generally has the best dock locations because they have been in Alaska for a long time.

• Like 2

I think you should definitely try Seabourn.  I spent a total of 50 days this year (2022) on the Odyssey and Sojourn.  I've cruised on several HAL ships, but not since the pandemic.  Seabourn is definitely a more luxurious experience.  No crowds, excellent service, most everything included, no showing your key card, spacious suites, and more creative cooking.  That said, my experience on the Odyssey was disappointing and I doubted I'd try Seabourn again. But when a friend told me she booked the Sojourn, I decided to give Seabourn a second chance.  I'm glad I did, because that cruise was excellent.  I would cruise Seabourn again.

As another poster mentioned, the dress code has just been relaxed.  However, I would still guess that people would dress up more on Seabourn than on HAL.  There will still be a formal night or two in the MDR, but there are more casual options as well.  As far as accessibility goes, IME the majority of Seabourn passengers are 60+.  And there were a number of wheelchairs, scooters, etc.  

The lack of a real promenade deck is unfortunate, but there are numerous outdoor viewing areas as mentioned above.  Deck 6 forward has a hot tub, loungers, and usually very few people.  It was great for viewing the Panama Canal.  

I think Alaska on Seabourn would be a very special experience.  Good luck.

Bill

• Like 1

Having fewer passengers is a real advantage if you have any tender ports or other situations where that would be an advantage.  Recently we were docked at Ft. Amador (Panama City) with the Oosterdam.  Our ship had 315 passengers to their ?  The morning we were docked together, we got off and took the shuttle out at around 7:20 am with one other passenger.  The Oosterdam passengers without a tour could not get out of the port area until late morning so independent tour arrangements were messed up for many.  Not sure they did not allow Oosterdam passengers on our shuttle buses.

I personally prefer the breakfast and lunch buffets on HAL since there are more options while dinners were comparable with more creative options and better cuts of meat on Seabourn (and larger shrimp).   Internet is included and there are free self service laundries.  The entertainment is also superior and they generally have lecturers on board, often 2 or 3.  We don't drink but free beverages would be a plus for many and gratuities are included.  Cabins are larger with better amenities.  I would guess that those who book more expensive cabins on HAL might find that fares are not that different on Seabourn when all costs are considered.  It is definitely a more luxurious experience.

• Like 1

We are close to 5 star on HAL and have cruised many times to Alaska, living close to Seattle, but we have become really huge fans of Seabourn. We were on Odyssey last July for 7 days in Alaska and have booked the same ship out of Vancouver for 14 days this August. We love the smaller ship, friendliness of the crew and the other guests, and most importantly, being able to access the small ports and places like Misty Fjords (quite magical!) on the ship where none of the large ships can go. Our happy place. I can't think of any public space on Odyssey that would not be "wheelchair friendly". No walk around deck, but plenty of open space for viewing and lots of permanent heaters installed in outdoor spaces for glacier viewing. No crowds. Is your husband able to walk enough to get to a tender? If so, keep in mind that because the ship is so small, you never have to get tickets or stand in long lines for a tender. Looking at our itinerary though, with many tendered ports, if use of a tender is a problem, HAL would be a better choice. Either way, have a wonderful time in Alaska!

It is like comparing apples to kumquats.  We think of HAL as a budget mass market line with add-ons in the MDR, add-ons in the PG, art auctions, Bingo, etc.  Seabourn does have add-ons and the crew does not know how to say "no."  Want some caviar in your cabin?  Just call room service and they will often ask "single or double portion."  Want caviar at a bar?  Just tell the bar tender and they will make it happen.  Order eggs benedict and you will usually be asked do you want the eggs runny, medium, etc.  Want fresh sqeezed OJ?  Just ask.  With a space ratio' over 70 tons per passenger (HAL is usually around 40) the ships are never crowded.   Is Seabourn perfect?  No.  But it is an amazing luxury product.  We only book HAL because of the itinerary.  We would book Seabourn for any itinerary of even a cruise to nowhere.

Hank

As a single cruiser, I am taking more and more with Seabourn even though I am 5 stars with HAL. HAL just doubles the fare. Seabourn has single supplement of 1.5 on many sailing. When I calculate sailing with HAL or Seabourn, many times the end price is the same with Seabourn. Have three scheduled this year. That is when you add HSC, drinks, wifi to HAL.

• Thanks 1

Seabourn, as mentioned before, is a luxury line.   I really like cruising on Seabourn but for us it comes down to price.   We have been able to get a 25 night cruise from Sydney to Vancouver in a Signature Suite for less than a seven night cruise on Seabourn in an ocean view suite.   We are happy enough with Holland and with the itinerary so we will go with HAL.   For us, we do few add ons and we don’t drink so the extra Seabourn perks aren’t important to us.   If you are buying the add ins in Hal then it might make the two lines more comparable.   

I've sailed HAL twice (once in a suite, once in a balcony) and once on the Seabourn Legend (no more...) in a balcony. While HAL is fine, even cruising in a suite on HAL pales in comparison when thinking about the level of service and inclusive nature on Seabourn. I would not even think once, much less twice, about choosing Seabourn over HAL all other things being equal.

I am also curious about Seabourn, but when I reviewed fully loaded prices last month HAL was close to half the price per day per person (comparing inside cabins, loaded drink packages, etc.). I haven't looked at all room classes, so I'm not sure the costs scale to suites.

Thank you for all the great feedback.  We decided to go with Seabourn.  Yes... it is quite a bit more money, but with all the add-ons with HAL, I guess I can justify the cost difference. Still significantly more, but in this case, it sounds like you really do 'get what you pay for'.   I had our TA look into a June, 14 night cruise (Seabourn), and just about gave up - it was that expensive.  But then I looked at the August, 14 night cruises, and I figure we can save close to 3k by changing dates.  

TWODJS, I see you're from Port Angeles.  We're from Westport. Perhaps we'll see you aboard the Odyssey! 

• Like 1