New MDR menus yet?

On 1/7/2023 at 9:39 AM, island lady said:

So called "Pinnie Event" on Jewel right now is simply an overflow from the DL...which means all Diamonds, D+, and Pinnies eat from the same buffet in the tiny DL...having the back door open to the VCL.  

Lots of growling going on in there....like Lions to the kill.  😄  

Who is growling?  Seems like a win/win for everyone. 

We stopped in and found ample comfortable seating especially in the overflow, accommodating staff everywhere, lots of food set up in the lounge. Some designated reserved seating in the overflow for D+ and Pinnacle  but the whole area is available to enjoy. It is not exclusively for pinnacle, but for anyone D, D+ and P to enjoy. (The concierge lounge is restricted to suite guests only). 

Met and spoke  to a few lovely quests (Don’t know their status, didn’t ask and didn’t care), and no one seemed unhappy. 

With the combination of lounge and overflow, the area was not even half full. 

The space is good, view beautiful, helpful staff, and plentiful food.

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, katiel53 said:

Geez, once again you and I disagree!  We were on Harmony in Chops in July and I asked our waiter for the lobster tail that was served in the MDR on the second formal night.  I was told he couldn't do that and he sent the Chops manager over to speak with me.  

I explained that on Allure in June we were able to do that as well as get the beet salad from 150 in Chops. (Not both the lobster and beet salad on the same night as we had dinner in Chops 3X.)  I was told by the manager there was no way this was going to happen on Harmony and he was tired of hearing about how things were on Allure.  I had NEVER spoken to the manager prior so I am guessing others have told him the same thing.  

He told me it wasn't safe to transfer food from one restaurant to another, which made me wonder what was in the food that made it unsafe to go a short distance, but I just let him know how disappointed I was.

I am going on Symphony soon and asked through instant messenger if I will be able to get the lobster tail in Chops along with my Chops steak on the second formal night and was told no.  So now, at least from my experience,  RC is not allowing food from one restaurant to be served in another one. 

I guess I should go to dinner early in the MDR, get my lobster and then go late to Chops, lol.  Seriously though, I couldn't /wouldn't do that, but that seems like the solution RC is offering.

Funny, how many different reasons/excuses they give you.  When sailing on Anthem on Easter, we were dining at Jamie's and the same question was asked of the waiter--can we get the lobster tail on lobster night.   He did not say no but mentioned since it's not a Royal restaurant they are prevented from providing this service.  Sounded plausible and logical to me.

Just a side question--is the upcharge Chop's filet cooked in the MDR or at Chop's and delivered to you in the MDR.😜

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Who is growling?  Seems like a win/win for everyone. 

We stopped in and found ample comfortable seating especially in the overflow, accommodating staff everywhere, lots of food set up in the lounge. Some designated reserved seating in the overflow for D+ and Pinnacle  but the whole area is available to enjoy. It is not exclusively for pinnacle, but for anyone D, D+ and P to enjoy. (The concierge lounge is restricted to suite guests only). 

Met and spoke  to a few lovely quests (Don’t know their status, didn’t ask and didn’t care), and no one seemed unhappy. 

With the combination of lounge and overflow, the area was not even half full. 

The space is good, view beautiful, helpful staff, and plentiful food.

m

It was a joke.   😏

I go into the DL early, around 4:15 to simply to get a double espresso to bring to Ronald or Ian to make my espresso martini.  At that time the buffet is pretty much attacked as soon as the attendant can put it out and before it is ready or the plastic wrap is off.  They are a bit too anxious IMHO...which reminded me of the Lions attacking the fresh kill.  😄   We don't partake of the buffet.  

Perhaps you are in there later?   

And yes, there is no private "Pinnacle Event" as listed, or utilized on other ships.  It is simply an overflow for the DL.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

As a youngin I worked at Steak and Ale and the Prime Rib Thursdays made me not last long.   Those plates just swimming with blood were stomach churning to look at. 

You do know that it's not blood.

6 minutes ago, Scotico said:

You do know that it's not blood.

I know but it looked so like blood.  
(Note I deleted my post because the menus look better on second glance)   Seems like Shrimp cocktail is there most nights and shrimp is enough to make pleased with even a *meh* meal.  
Also, at first glance I hadn't noticed that the Chef's row had different things than below.  I had thought that they were just recommending a combination.  There are some interesting things in the Chef's row.  

ETA: Although I stick by my original comment that 'white fish' is code for 'random trash fish.'  

Edited by HappyTexan44
  • Like 1

The new menus look better than the initial test.

I’ll be more interested in the overall quality and hopefully the corn in the photo is not representative of portion sizes.

Also hope it won’t be an issue getting four courses still, I want salad plus soup or shrimp to start.

If they (not me) are pressing for speed I’ll take the first two courses at once if need be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Mexican meal doesn't look very Mexican, or even under the broad category of Mexican-ish.  I can still order a multi-course meal that night and be happy, so I'm not complaining. 

I'd put the Carne Asada as Mexican.   Tortilla soup and Pulled Pork Enchiladas as Mexican-ish.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nelblu said:

Funny, how many different reasons/excuses they give you.  When sailing on Anthem on Easter, we were dining at Jamie's and the same question was asked of the waiter--can we get the lobster tail on lobster night.   He did not say no but mentioned since it's not a Royal restaurant they are prevented from providing this service.  Sounded plausible and logical to me.

Just a side question--is the upcharge Chop's filet cooked in the MDR or at Chop's and delivered to you in the MDR.😜

When dining at Jamie's on Ovation we were told they could only serve what was on the Jamie's menu due to some contractual mumbo jumbo. DH wanted a garden salad and Jamie's didn't have one. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, island lady said:

It was a joke.   😏

I go into the DL early, around 4:15 to simply to get a double espresso to bring to Ronald or Ian to make my espresso martini.  At that time the buffet is pretty much attacked as soon as the attendant can put it out and before it is ready or the plastic wrap is off.  They are a bit too anxious IMHO...which reminded me of the Lions attacking the fresh kill.  😄   We don't partake of the buffet.  

Perhaps you are in there later?   

And yes, there is no private "Pinnacle Event" as listed, or utilized on other ships.  It is simply an overflow for the DL.  

You are correct, there is no special event listed, although it is mentioned in the welcome letter.   The overflow is fine for me. I never understood the need for a designated pinnacle event, especially if seating and service are not an issue.  The dedicated reserved seating in Vortex for diamond plus and Pinnacle is overkill. There is more than enough seating for anyone who wants to be there 

If we visit a lounge (d, suite/concierge) it is generally after 6. Every time the food is overflowing, like it was just put out.  Guess that is the mark of great staff. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

On 1/8/2023 at 2:37 PM, molly361 said:

Here's a pic of their corn on the cob🤣

May be an image of food

I hope you are feeling better after your surgery...oh wait you're on a cruise, that's not hospital food.  My bad, have a great time.  

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

You are correct, there is no special event listed, although it is mentioned in the welcome letter.   The overflow is fine for me. I never understood the need for a designated pinnacle event, especially if seating and service are not an issue.  The dedicated reserved seating in Vortex for diamond plus and Pinnacle is overkill. There is more than enough seating for anyone who wants to be there 

If we visit a lounge (d, suite/concierge) it is generally after 6. Every time the food is overflowing, like it was just put out.  Guess that is the mark of great staff. 

m

Once again, we don't go to the lounges for the food.  Plenty of food to be had at dinner.  We go for a before dinner cocktail...but only at the bar, not the lounge.  

Found it interesting yesterday though.  Apparently the attendant was tired of the pax pouncing on the buffet before it was officially ready at 4:30.   He closed/roped it off to make them wait this time 😉 

Was very nice in the VCl at 4:30 yesterday afternoon, since so many were still on shore.  Quiet and easier to get a drink right away.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

The Mexican meal doesn't look very Mexican, or even under the broad category of Mexican-ish.  I can still order a multi-course meal that night and be happy, so I'm not complaining. 

I'd put the Carne Asada as Mexican.   Tortilla soup and Pulled Pork Enchiladas as Mexican-ish.  

They should have included chips and salsa as an appetizer.  Maybe imported from El Loco Fresh🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

They should have included chips and salsa as an appetizer.  Maybe imported from El Loco Fresh🤣

My first thought when I read this was "Well, Queso dip as Tex-Mex would be closer than what is there, and also very popular."   But it really needs to be served at minimum very warm.  

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Once again, we don't go to the lounges for the food.  Plenty of food to be had at dinner.  We go for a before dinner cocktail...but only at the bar, not the lounge.  

Found it interesting yesterday though.  Apparently the attendant was tired of the pax pouncing on the buffet before it was officially ready at 4:30.   He closed/roped it off to make them wait this time 😉 

Was very nice in the VCl at 4:30 yesterday afternoon, since so many were still on shore.  Quiet and easier to get a drink right away.  

That's what the staff did on the Explorer in March. Also when the feeding frenzy started you still had to remain behind the rope and the staff member served us our selections. Because we are creatures of habit it didn't take him long to notice what we liked and before we got up he would have a cheese plate ready for us. 🍷🧀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

That's what the staff did on the Explorer in March. Also when the feeding frenzy started you still had to remain behind the rope and the staff member served us our selections. Because we are creatures of habit it didn't take him long to notice what we liked and before we got up he would have a cheese plate ready for us. 🍷🧀

Same thing on the Pinnacle event in Music Hall on Odyssey.  Attendant stood behind the rope and gave you a plate of whatever you pointed at.  We thought it was a well run operation.  😉 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 8:12 AM, poocher said:

Please report back with which menu you were actually served.  Have a great cruise.

Grandeur 1/8-13 served the old menu, day-by-day seemed identical to Jewel last October. Everything was very, very good. On the last night I asked for a heap of coconut shrimp. 

E40D1A82-9989-4FAF-AAA3-5552EE9BE3C8.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 9:58 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

If they are not Mexican, what are they?. Both originated in Mexico long before TexMex was a thing.

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

If they are not Mexican, what are they?. Both originated in Mexico long before TexMex was a thing.

Ok, I'll grant you the Tortilla soup.   
Enchiladas, yes.  And pork, yes.   Pulled pork, certainly wouldn't be called that, but if you have pork breaking it up is natural.  Then the enchiladas were on flour tortillas.    There are some Mexican states with lovely flour tortillas, so flour tortillas, Yes   But they should be corn for enchiladas.    I think the flour tortilla "enchiladas" and Pulled Pork in the name pushes it over into Mexican-ish to me.  Also, if they were just translating the name, then Carne Asada should have been Grilled Meat.  

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I like all the above, as a matter of fact, I love all the above.  So, this is not to disparage your post.  But, I have to ask (and this is mainly and intended to be somewhat humours), if I put pulled pork and wrap it with a Peda, does that make it Armenian?  If I put Canadian Bacon on an Tortilla, does that make it Can-Mex?

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Grandeur 1/8-13 served the old menu, day-by-day seemed identical to Jewel last October. Everything was very, very good. On the last night I asked for a heap of coconut shrimp. 

E40D1A82-9989-4FAF-AAA3-5552EE9BE3C8.jpeg

I'm not a seafood fan.  However, I do like a lot of shrimp (just about any style, as long as it doesn't smell fishy, not fresh) and some lobster.  I must say, that looks great!