Positive Covid Test/Please Help

chrism23

Hi, I need some help please. ( I am posting this in two places, a new thread here and Terry’s long running thread.

We are due to depart Lima in 16 days January 20th.  My wife tested positive for COVID last night ( a rapid antibody test).  I tested negative for the time being.  

She does not yet have any symptoms outside a minor sore throat.  She will try and find a PCR testing site today.

We have trip insurance through SS.  The problem here for me is two fold although there are probably more which is why I am posting this, hoping that someone else has found themselves in the same situation.

Simply, what the hell should I do?  My wife, should be, after 16 days, showing negative on a rapid test the day of embarkation..  I don’t know what the hell my status will be.  If I test positive today, after 10 days I should be testing negative too if I have it now.  But assume I am also testing negative. 

We are departing from Lima.  I would rather deal with medical issues here rather than there.  

If all goes right and we are both testing negative at embarkation will they let us board ( I don’t know what SS’s policy will be on boarding in Lima).   We were in the Cloud in July and SS did rapid tests basically ship side on embarkation day.  I  figure I must tell the truth about my wife’s positive tests 17 days ago.  (And mine if I can’t avoid my wife’s infection).  

So big issues.  Should I pull the trigger on the insurance early next week.  Or should I hope we are both testing negative on January 20th and SS lets us board.  As most of you know this is a hard choice.  We have been planning this trip for months.

My thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

chris

From the Silversea site.

1. A certified medical health certificate from a doctor stating that you have fully recovered from COVID-19. It must meet the following requirements:

• Official letterhead from a healthcare provider, public health official or telehealth provider showing:
  • Their name
  • Their address
  • Their phone number
  • Confirmation of your recovery and completion of isolation
    - Must be typed (not handwritten) and signed by the provider
    - Must confirm the sample collection date of the positive PCR test, which must be a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise

2. A positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise. The test results document from your test provider must include the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your positive result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “positive” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.

More here.

https://www.silversea.com/recovery-certificate.html

So you should be OK with the timing. Note the requirement is 11 days or more from the positive PCR. So you have 5 days to catch it from your wife!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As Dr Ron said (thank you Dr Ron for answering first, so I didn't have to type all that out), you should be totally fine as she will be considered recovered by that time, and you will either not have it or should be recovered in that amount of time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

As Dr Ron said (thank you Dr Ron for answering first), 

Thank you too.  The requirements are somewhat difficult to understand.  My wife is on her way now to get a PCR test, which, as I understand it, must confirm that she is positive.  The test needs to be done at a minimum of 11 days before our departure date (16 days)  So I think she will be alright.  I just tested negative with a rapid antigen test,  Which, if I get this right, should be good news, but as Dr. Ron pointed out, if I am going to catch it from my wife, ideally I need to do it, and get a positive PCR test in the next 5 days.  There is something wrong with this scenario, but the rules are the rules.  I will refrain from going to kiss her a few times to try to get infected.  That just doesn't seem like fair play.  I will go with the mask and isolation route and just hope I remain negative.  

I'm sorry you've run into this anxious situation! I'd suggest you get a PCR test within the next 5 days (on day 5 if you are confident in the math). Antigen tests aren't foolproof, and it would be good to find out you status while you could still get the certificate of recovery. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Agree w Stumble. And w Fauxnom. 

When Chris got Covid in September she was immediately positive by antigen test. I had symptoms too but tested negative for 5 days in a row. Finally gave up and got a PCR. Positive.

So get the virus and get your positive PCR ASAP. If you wait and get sick later, you're sunk.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TakingFlight said:

@Peregrina651 had this exact situation happen to her just before her Viking Egypt river cruise. All has turned out well for her, check out the situation on the Viking River Cruises Egypt 2023 forum in the last 20 or so postings. I wish you well, too.

We have not departed yet, so we have no idea if all has turned out well, not until we get home.

I tested positive on December 26 (DH five days earlier). Symptoms were typical sinus infection symptoms. No fever, no aches and pains but mega fatigue.

We did PCR tests in case we had to cancel; we wanted a dated, lab-processed positive test to give to the insurance company. The test results included these instructions:

• Stay home and limit contact with others until:
  • You have been fever-free for at least 3 days without using medicine that reduces fever AND your
  • symptoms have improved AND at least 10 days have passed since your symptoms first
  • appeared.

We followed the instructions and stayed home and away from people for 10 days (didn't feel very social anyway). During the period, we built two paper trails -- one of papers we would need if traveled and another for the insurance claim if we canceled. PCR test, letter of recovery, making sure MD's office had on our record that we had tested positive, etc. 

We also have a letters of recovery from our doctors, as required by our cruise line. We did at-home tests after 10days and both of us tested negative.

If we are asked about Covid we will not lie or try to hide it; that is a good way to get thrown off the cruise and be told to find our own way home. We will say that we tested positive over two weeks ago and are now negative and fever free. We will show our letters of recovery.

We will also mask in the airports, on the planes, on the buses and indoors. It is arduous but it is better than picking up whatever other infections are out there.

I hope that his helps you and that you are able to go

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Simple… if you really want to go on the cruise, like you say you do, then kiss the girl!!!  Multiple times, in fact.

Takes me back to my youth and the summer "Chickenpox Parties" to get everyone on the block infected and get it over with before school started.  [Of course, we were innocent so there was no kissing...  🤣]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/9/2023 at 6:42 AM, labrasett said:

....... and there are lots of couples where curiously one gets the dreaded pox and the other doesnt and you have absolutely no idea why!!!  

My best friend and I have both not had covid, despite our husbands both having had it a couple of times, including early on when no one was vaccinated.  And we were certainly exposed.  

• Like 1