On Regatta now

Mrs f.

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

“ I always thought “

that when the ship was at port, most everyone gets off the ship and goes ashore. Boy has that been proven a silly “ thought” on Oceania! In port, I’d have no way of knowing if the ship’s tv works or not.

We like to have the TV on when we get ready in the morning but that’s just us.  I am also working with my solar provider to add extra panels before the NEM changes and keeping in touch on a daily basis.  

15 hours ago, ORV said:

I always thought the TV channels going away was related to the Cell phone satellites being turned on or off. 

Nope -- it is whether they have a clear shot to the satellites from the port. Buildings, other ships, mountains and warehouses will block the signal.  Will effect both internet and TV.  Sometimes TV only as this might be because of distribution rights issues. 

On 1/8/2023 at 6:51 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

When it comes to FF miles tix, there’s something to be said for brand preference and understanding its idiosyncrasies.

Quick example: If you search United’s website for points tix, whether you sign in (or not) can make a significant difference in what availability you see. Even then, whether points, cash or a combo, having higher FF status (and the phone number that goes with it) can get you availability/pricing that is not displayed on the airline website (particularly when Star Alliance connections are involved).
Nonetheless, you need to do your homework (particularly in terms of knowing where to look and who to call).

Of course, with “dynamic pricing” also now the standard for FF points flights, your search efforts are aimed at a moving target. A 300K points bank might get you a bizclass ticket today but “bupkus” tomorrow.

Looking ahead to our 2024 Sydney to Tahiti cruise, did you wind up doing an open jaw ticket or separate tickets.

I have the dilemma of flying from JFK, so United may not be my best choice.  I could do a separate award to SFO

Any advice will be appreciated .

7 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

We are doing this next month, Singapore Air from EWR to Sydney via SIN and a separate ticked from Tahiti to return via LAX on Air France. 

We’re these award tickets or did you pay cash.?

it’s been 6 years since I did this itinerary and award space has more than doubled.

4 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Looking ahead to our 2024 Sydney to Tahiti cruise, did you wind up doing an open jaw ticket or separate tickets.

I have the dilemma of flying from JFK, so United may not be my best choice.  I could do a separate award to SFO

Any advice will be appreciated .

Call United and ask them. You don’t have to book it if you want to not pay $25 (or you can ask nicely and they will waive the phone charge.

That said, we’re doing a United multi-city ticket for bizclass: SFO-SYD and PPT-SFO. 
On the United website, you could compare flight cost in money and/or points in multiple ways.

If you are a United regular, look at starting from EWR instead of JFK.

10 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Did you get the saver awards or just standard? I found the saver awards even harder to find now, United in particular.

Savers are extremely hard to Sydney.  From PPT to MCO was able to find biz at 70K

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Did you get the saver awards or just standard? I found the saver awards even harder to find now, United in particular.

Are you a Mileage Plus member and, if so, do you log on before you search? Members will often see more options.

FWIW, depending on the time of the year, the United non-stop bizclass Multi-city tix cited above (SFO-SYD and PPT-SFO) $ only will run about $6 to 7k each. OUCH.

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Are you a Mileage Plus member and, if so, do you log on before you search? Members will often see more options.

FWIW, depending on the time of the year, the United non-stop bizclass Multi-city tix cited above (SFO-SYD and PPT-SFO) $ only will run about $6 to 7k each. OUCH.

In reality that is not a bad price when you add back the reward points and miles earned

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes, always log in. I can see more options, but mostly for domestic flights on United. Almost never for international saver awards especially with the partners airlines. 
But I agree with the prices like that even the standard awards make sense sometimes if I have enough miles.

35 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

Mine are standard on Singapore, transferred miles from multiple cc's. same for the Air France from PPT.

Unfortunately, it’s a new “norm” for many airlines now. The other problem is the schedule change. Example… I managed to book award tickets to Kathmandu Nepal and back for September this year first day the schedule was opened. I was notified of the major schedule changes already three times. Fortunately, it still somehow works for our booked tour, but who knows what’s going to happen with these tickets between now and then.

Traveling isn’t an easy “job” anymore 🛫🛳🏔

17 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Savers are extremely hard to Sydney.  From PPT to MCO was able to find biz at 70K

Paul, FYI,  a good friend of mine is a United Captain.  She received a Pilot request to base at MCO.  She said it won’t be a hub but United is picking up several gates and expanding their MCO operations.  Should help all of us United flyers out of MCO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the more ports the better said:

Paul, FYI,  a good friend of mine is a United Captain.  She received a Pilot request to base at MCO.  She said it won’t be a hub but United is picking up several gates and expanding their MCO operations.  Should help all of us United flyers out of MCO.

I heard same.  There are many Florida crew members at United.   Makes sense.  Was hoping for some direct flights to EU from MCO like to FRA.  Usually take LH to avoid the zoo at EWR, but LH has just switch their daily flight at MCO to Eurowings.

On 1/15/2023 at 4:49 PM, pully8 said:

Looks as if the ship has moved from Tasmania and on its way to Sydney?

Hope we hear more from those on board. 

Ship indeed left Port Arthur and then went to Sydney.   We disembarked Monday and flew back to NY.  Except for Port changes (Brisbane  2 days, Thursday Island,  Portland, Kangaroo Island), it was a lovely cruise. I think what made it extra special was the people we met through CC rollcall.  Regatta 's next cruise goes back to Melbourne and Burnie and then on to New Zealand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Ship indeed left Port Arthur and then went to Sydney.   We disembarked Monday and flew back to NY.  Except for Port changes (Brisbane  2 days, Thursday Island,  Portland, Kangaroo Island), it was a lovely cruise. I think what made it extra special was the people we met through CC rollcall.  Regatta 's next cruise goes back to Melbourne and Burnie and then on to New Zealand. 

We also live in the NY area.  How were your flights and how far out did you book?

1 hour ago, roberts2005 said:

We also live in the NY area.  How were your flights and how far out did you book?

We prefer Newark to JFK or LGA. We booked United using points.  Newark to San Francisco.  San Francisco to Sydney.  Going back Sydney to Houston. Houston to Newark.  Booked as soon as they allowed.

All flights were fine. We embarked at Circular  Quay but disembarked at the other terminal.  Went 8 days early to we  could tour Sydney.  It was wonderful. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

We prefer Newark to JFK or LGA. We booked United using points.  Newark to San Francisco.  San Francisco to Sydney.  Going back Sydney to Houston. Houston to Newark.  Booked as soon as they allowed.

All flights were fine. We embarked at Circular  Quay but disembarked at the other terminal.  Went 8 days early to we  could tour Sydney.  It was wonderful. 

Thank you.  Newark is a bit longer hike for us than JFK, but is better if going United.

Which cabin were you in?  And if you don’t mind how many miles did it cost.

we are in the Regatta, March of 2024 so getting close to picking flights.

4 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Thank you.  Newark is a bit longer hike for us than JFK, but is better if going United.

Which cabin were you in?  And if you don’t mind how many miles did it cost.

we are in the Regatta, March of 2024 so getting close to picking flights.

We are in Rockland County so Newark is easier than jfk with 2 bridges. 

We originally were going to fly out on a Sunday  but they wanted a lot of points. Then my hubby looked at Saturday.    They wanted many less. Then he looked at Friday and United wanted even less points. We figured we were using Hilton points for hotel so we grabbed the Friday flights.  For United we booked economy.  Then a pop up appeared asking if we wanted to upgrade to economy plus.  We did. Hubby still asleep....will ask later  how many miles.

Cabin on ship? 6093.  Concierge veranda. We were able to get a lot of extra Polo and Toscana reservations once on board.

What ports is the '24 doing?  We did almost all private excursions.  I try never to take O tours. Had a private guide in Bali for the 2 of us. Excellent. We did the penguins with O because nobody else offered it.  Also an O tour in Burnie because our private tour got cancelled due to vendor getting  covid. The O tour was pretty bad.