What's going on with Royal Caribbean?

ksuyen

Regarding the above chatter on Italian restaurants, I’d actually take Jamie’s over the new Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen.  The latter is some sort of overly dumbed down American version of Italian.  It is not very good.  

Edited by JCDCA

41 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

Regarding the above chatter on Italian restaurants, I’d actually take Jamie’s over the new Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen.  The latter is some sort of overly dumbed down American version of Italian.  It is not very good.  

And you are welcome to your own tastes and opinion.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, pcur said:

I have found a significant change in food options since cruising in mid-December on the Liberty, and a month later on the Enchantment.  My experience is below, and a caveat:  I am NOT a complainer.  Lemons=lemonade to me in my life.

The first night on the Enchantment I found they had completely eliminated the fruit and cheese platter from the menu, and completely eliminated the vegan menu, too.  The vegan menu is supposedly substituted by vegan offerings in the selections each evening.  I used the vegan choices as appetizers, and side dishes to my main entrée.  So, many of the offerings are completely gone by now Day 9 of this cruise.

I asked to pre-order the fruit and cheese plate for my dinners, and could not.  The head waiter showed up to discuss it with me, and I explained that it was something I order every night, and use it as either an appetizer or in between courses.  It's an important part of my dinner, since it's high protein, and I don't each potatoes or rice with dinner.  The solution was to have it delivered to my cabin each afternoon, and I CARRY it into the dining room myself.

On that first night my fish entrée with rice, if de-constructed, would have been 3 pieces of sushi.  NOT an exaggeration.

I was asked how my entrée was, and I answered honestly:  extremely small portion.  Well, that started the whole assistant waiter-to-waiter-to head waiter discussion yet again.

I think many other passengers also pointed out the miserly portions, because by Day 3 the protein portion was back to normal.

After dinner on Day 1 I went to the CL and had THREE appetizer plates, because I was still that hungry.  Literally 1/2 to 2/3 of my expected dinner was not available.

Windjammer:  very meh.  I have always found something tasty to eat in the Windjammer, but now it's a struggle.  It's dominated by stew-like dishes that end up quite mushy after an hour of being on the warmers.

The fish is still good, but many of the sauces to go with the chicken, beef, and fish are no longer available on the side of the main dish.  

Cold cuts are DEFINITELY a lower quality.  For instance, I went to get some sliced cheese and meat, and the "artistic" display they put out as a decorative touch, was the pressed ham block, cut in half, with garnishes. It was like they were advertising, "Yes, this IS chopped and pressed ham".  I won't go hungry in the Windjammer, but it's not a very enjoyable eating experience.  And, I'm saying this as an "I will eat pretty much anything" type of person.

So, I'm on 4 other ships between now and mid-March.  That way I can see if it's just this ship, or all ships.

I'm back with a few clarifications:

What I'm posting about is the NEW "normal", so special orders in the MDR are iffy, at best.  This is what changed between my 12/9 and 1/14 cruises.

I think the reason they are delivering my beloved fruit and cheese plate to my cabin is so it's not noticeable to other diners in the MDR.  I feel like a sneak, and it doesn't sit well with me.  

Sauces are iffy, too.  Coconut shrimp last night had a great orange/chili sauce, and plenty of it.  Windjammer side gravy/sauces are not plentiful, and I looked for them.  I found myself trying to scrape some sauce for my grilled fish out of the WJ huge pan with a slotted spoon.  Like trying to sauce your fish with a sieve.

The weirdest thing is something I noticed in the WJ and MDR:  they seem to have a shortage of thickener for their fruit puddings and cobblers.  I found this with two blueberry desserts.  Delicious and runny.  The blueberry cobbler last night in the MDR was like that, and I had to mix the topping thoroughly into the fruit so I wasn't eating dripping blueberries.  Oh, and the topping wasn't a brown sugar crumble:  it was oatmeal.  Go figure.

OK, the good news:

Portions are improving.  I'm sure LOTS of MDR passengers have been letting their waiters and head waiter know they, like me the first night, are going away hungry.  So, as the cruise goes on, things are improving. 

Lunch in the Windjammer yesterday was very good:  very tasty tilapia (but no sauce), grilled/chilled sliced eggplant with dressing, and I added some of the mixed olive salad to it.  Cold cut meat were better:  sliced beef was added. Wonderful cold rice salad.

My advice to anyone cruising in the near future is to ask for a double portion of the entrée. I specify the protein I'm ordering, but double-up on the items you prefer.  Ordering two entrées will slow down the service, BUT ordering "tiger shrimp with a double portion" works on a single plate.

I think RCCL, or the food manager on the Enchantment, or both, are waiting for negative feedback before making changes to this new menu/food service policy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The simple fact is. All the cruise companies had to borrow/restructure alot of money through covid as they were shut down. On top of that you had lots of people with FCCs, taking spaces of new customes. Then add inflation, food, fuel etc. Folllowed by having to pay back money they borrowed. Simply means they are all cutting costs and service whilst increasing fares, or drinks/food package prices. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JCDCA said:

I can't agree.  Some of the best Italian I've had on land or sea.  I loved the pasta carbonara and my hubs loved the lasagna.  And everything else we ate there, we went back several times.

Edited by BecciBoo

One thing I will never understand is why the people that complain how bad the food quality is and service is, etc, etc, etc. on Royal continue to spend their money cruising on Royal year after year and for some multiple times a year. I just don’t get it but hey that just me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bigque said:

One thing I will never understand is why the people that complain how bad the food quality is and service is, etc, etc, etc. on Royal continue to spend their money cruising on Royal year after year and for some multiple times a year. I just don’t get it but hey that just me!

I like to separate "complaining" from "critical critiquing".  There is a lot of each going on in this social media site and many, if not all, others.  I don't care for complaining just for the sake of complaining.  However, I think critical critique or maybe "review" is a better word, is a necessity.  If everybody just stayed silent, nothing would improve and services, quantity, hospitality, variety and quality would suffer, or only go down hill.  

There are many talented writers in here that do a great job of reviewing their recent cruises.  They point out what was good, what provided the expected, what was above what was expected, and what was less than expected.  It's done without a hint of vitriol, retribution, or wanting something for nothing (that's what lawyers are for, LOL).  Just honest review and a review that, if the mothership read it, would take note.  I only hope that the talented writers in here and others use that talent to inform the hierarchy at the mothership(s).

When I spot a post in any social media forum that is obviously someone complaining for the sake of complaining, I usually SMH and move on, not always, but generally.  And as one that used to receive customer comments at a corporate office, I can tell you that the complainers had a special place in the circular file.  Honest and helpful reviews were passed up the chain.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

The simple fact is. All the cruise companies had to borrow/restructure alot of money through covid as they were shut down. On top of that you had lots of people with FCCs, taking spaces of new customes. Then add inflation, food, fuel etc. Folllowed by having to pay back money they borrowed. Simply means they are all cutting costs and service whilst increasing fares, or drinks/food package prices. 

Excuse me, but the FCCs are funds that Royal had usage with no interest rate attached.  Just wondering how much in $ FCCs were not used by Paxs and went straight to Royal's cash flow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bigque said:

I have been cruising for over thirty years with RCI. I have noticed many of the observations posted to be indicative of my most recent September Oasis cruise in September 2022. This was my first high-capacity cruise since the opening after shut-down. RCI food has always been an 8 or higher on a 1 to 10 previously. Oasis was a 5. I do not know what happened, but it seems that many of the observations are accurate to my experience.

This site is called "Cruise Critic", what do you expect? 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I know it’s cruise critic and what that is about but that is not the statement I was making. People can complain about it hate we they want to complain about but my point was why continue to keep spending money on a subpar product which according to some is continuing to decline and can amount thousands of dollars a year. But like I said that’s just me from my observation. 

3 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have been cruising for over thirty years with RCI. I have noticed many of the observations posted to be indicative of my most recent September Oasis cruise in September 2022. This was my first high-capacity cruise since the opening after shut-down. RCI food has always been an 8 or higher on a 1 to 10 previously. Oasis was a 5. I do not know what happened, but it seems that many of the observations are accurate to my experience.

This brings up one of my recurring thoughts in here.  And I know you know this, Snipe, so it isn't intended towards you, but the SHIP doesn't cook the food, the kitchen staff does.  So, like I keep on saying if you don't like the food on the Garbage of the Seas this week, it will probably improve in a very short time when the kitchen staff rotates out of the Garbage of the Seas and a new kitchen staff takes over.   

I've recently read several reviews, critiques of the food served on the Oasis, and it ain't been good.  Makes me think that the kitchen staff (the head chef) may not be the best in the industry.  If we see the critical review stop in a week or two or three...... then we know.  Chances are, the same situation will pop-up on another ship after that chef/kitchen crew have their contract break.  JMHO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigque said:

I know it’s cruise critic and what that is about but that is not the statement I was making. People can complain about it hate we they want to complain about but my point was why continue to keep spending money on a subpar product which according to some is continuing to decline and can amount thousands of dollars a year. But like I said that’s just me from my observation. 

I can respect your observation. Some posters can be a bit dramatic in claiming that "They will never cruise again."  It can be a bit tiring, but it is part of the process of expressing their opinion.

We all have our moments.  😀

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

This brings up one of my recurring thoughts in here.  And I know you know this, Snipe, so it isn't intended towards you, but the SHIP doesn't cook the food, the kitchen staff does.  So, like I keep on saying if you don't like the food on the Garbage of the Seas this week, it will probably improve in a very short time when the kitchen staff rotates out of the Garbage of the Seas and a new kitchen staff takes over.   

I've recently read several reviews, critiques of the food served on the Oasis, and it ain't been good.  Makes me think that the kitchen staff (the head chef) may not be the best in the industry.  If we see the critical review stop in a week or two or three...... then we know.  Chances are, the same situation will pop-up on another ship after that chef/kitchen crew have their contract break.  JMHO

RCI has three more chances this year with my wife and I to prove you right. I will not base my decisions on a one off. That is why I booked three more cruises after that! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Excuse me, but the FCCs are funds that Royal had usage with no interest rate attached.  Just wondering how much in $ FCCs were not used by Paxs and went straight to Royal's cash flow.

Hold your horses, i wasnt having a go at FCCs im just saying that people myself included were using them. Yes royal already had that money and some didnt use them but if covid never happened then the post covid cruises would have not had many fcc people on them, so more money coming in. The FCCs effectively ment for a period there was little new income coming in as royal were catching up with cancelled cruises.

42 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Hold your horses, i wasnt having a go at FCCs im just saying that people myself included were using them. Yes royal already had that money and some didnt use them but if covid never happened then the post covid cruises would have not had many fcc people on them, so more money coming in. The FCCs effectively ment for a period there was little new income coming in as royal were catching up with cancelled cruises.

I understand, but also, many of the FCC were used while the ships were sailing at 30%-50% capacity.  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 5:32 PM, John&LaLa said:

He's happy complaining about changes to Royal. 😉

well good for him, but I did suggest how to move on and to try something else.

CCL is a good line and has many good offerings in food and entertainment.  And do not look now, but MSC is on the move.  very competitive environment in the cruising world so I for one do not believe in loyalty to any one.  I do have a cruise line that I won't go on again due to something in fine print that I did not see and lost my deposit.  

• Like 1

Over the years I've come across some good info shared by a few here on CC. Some are still on CC and some have cruised on. But we would never book or not book a cruise line, itinerary, ship, etc. based on someone's positive or negative opinions or experiences. No matter the cruise line forum. What's said on CC stays on CC.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

And the equally yummy Onion Soup:

Onion Soup.HEIC 1.43 MB · 6 downloads

Just off the Harmony on Saturday and the onion soup, which was offered on two of the nights, was truly inedible.  Watery, tasteless broth smothered by a glob of tasteless cheese that couldn't be cut with a knife.  Worst ever, and I love French onion soup.

10 minutes ago, flahagan said:

Just off the Harmony on Saturday and the onion soup, which was offered on two of the nights, was truly inedible.  Watery, tasteless broth smothered by a glob of tasteless cheese that couldn't be cut with a knife.  Worst ever, and I love French onion soup.

That is a damn shame.  French Onion Soup, ranks up there, ALMOST with bacon.  Ruining French Onion Soup is sacrilegious to the French Onion Soup gods, as far as I'm concerned.  And to top that all off, I believe, from what I can gather from the smattering of information about the new menus, French Onion Soup and Shrimp Cocktail is no longer available every night in the MDR.  I'm going into my corner, in the fetal position, thumb in mouth and occasionally flop around like a fish, not a taco fish.   What's this world coming to.

Face with Tears of Joy on Noto Color Emoji, Animated 14.0

8 hours ago, bigque said:

Easy... nothing better for the price once you are D or D+.

• Like 1