Royal App Q: Can you "chat" for free now?

Is the chat/messaging free in the app now? I know it typically costs $1.99/person/day to enable it. Michael Bayley indicated in Nov/Dec that it would be free after the first of the year. We cruise with teens over Spring Break, and it would be nice if it was free and worked well. 😉 

There's a new feature on the internet where you ask a question and get an immediate response. It's called 'google'.

Royal Caribbean's onboard messaging system is now free: Here's how it works. Royal Caribbean's chat feature in its app is free for everyone now, but how well does it work? As of January 1st, 2023 the onboard messaging system on all Royal Caribbean ships is now complimentary for all guests to use during their voyage.4 days ago

22 minutes ago, deepcman said:

There's a new feature on the internet where you ask a question and get an immediate response. It's called 'google'.

Royal Caribbean's onboard messaging system is now free: Here's how it works. Royal Caribbean's chat feature in its app is free for everyone now, but how well does it work? As of January 1st, 2023 the onboard messaging system on all Royal Caribbean ships is now complimentary for all guests to use during their voyage.4 days ago

The poster is just wanting to confirm that it is in fact now free, Mr Bailey also told us in 2021 that it was being dropped and it wasn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

The poster is just wanting to confirm that it is in fact now free, Mr Bailey also told us in 2021 that it was being dropped and it wasn't.

Yes, I think the poster wanted to hear from someone who has cruised this month and successfully used it without getting an internet package onboard or having paid the $1.99 pp/pd.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Is the chat/messaging free in the app now? I know it typically costs $1.99/person/day to enable it. Michael Bayley indicated in Nov/Dec that it would be free after the first of the year. We cruise with teens over Spring Break, and it would be nice if it was free and worked well. 😉 

Per @Passrider76, the chat app is free, but you have to manually check.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deepcman said:

Richard!

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, deepcman said:

The vast majority of reliable cruise information on Google is from people asking questions on this website.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Passrider76 said:

Yes, it is now free. Just off the Allure and used it. Still no “ping” to alert you to a message….but free is good. 

5 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Per @Passrider76, the chat app is free, but you have to manually check.

16 minutes ago, poocher said:

Does enabling notifications for the app on settings make a difference?  There have been varying reports.

Going into your phone settings and turning on notifications for that app will allow notifications.

Our group of 12 used it over Christmas and we all received immediate notifications without the app specifically being open.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, poocher said:

Does enabling notifications for the app on settings make a difference?  There have been varying reports.

Yes, this week on Voyager my wife and I are both getting iPhone notifications using the app chat even without the app being open. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Passrider76 said:

Yes, it is now free. Just off the Allure and used it. Still no “ping” to alert you to a message….but free is good. 

Thank you. If I can get the notifications like some others mentioned, that would be better, but I still prefer free. 😉

Thank you also to those that answered nicely without rudely directing me to google.

Edited by TwinMamainMN
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

@deepcmanwho pissed in your cheerios? Sheesh. That was rude.

Thanks to everyone else!

OP, you posed a legitimate question that warranted a legitimate answer. Isn’t that why we are all on this board for? To ask for help and to help when we can. I wasn’t aware of the change in the chat app so I’m glad you raised the issue. So thank you for your question and thank you to all who answered in a polite, helpful manner. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, poocher said:

I’m wondering that too. On our Jewel cruise the app worked, but no notifications. I had mine turned on but my husband didn’t. So now I turned his on to check on our next cruise

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Yes, this week on Voyager my wife and I are both getting iPhone notifications using the app chat even without the app being open. 

We both have IPhone 13 and I had notifications turned on for royal but didn’t get any when I got a message on our last cruise. How were you able to get them?  Did you purchase the wifi or just use the app for free?

Edited by lovesthebeach2

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We both have IPhone 13 and I had notifications turned on for royal but didn’t get any when I got a message on our last cruise. How were you able to get them?  Did you purchase the wifi or just use the app for free?

My wife and I both had the wifi package so unfortunately I can’t tell you from personal experience if it works that way with the free app.

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

They worked fine for our group for those that did not have wifi

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 9:10 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

They worked fine for our group for those that did not have wifi

Thank you so much for that confirmation. We are new to Royal. We were talking yesterday about leaving messages in the room for one another. This chat feature will be perfect for our group—my husband and I, our 2 daughters, and his parents.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This is a crazy question, but I have to ask.  I want to use chat without purchasing RCI internet wifi.  I’ve read on here you can use chat for free now, and you do not have to purchase RCI wifi.

One of our iphones is an older iphone and does not have an internet provider, but if I downloaded the RCI App, will I still be able to access chat?

Was going to give the kids the old phone just to do chat.

Has anyone done this?  TIA

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

One of our iphones is an older iphone and does not have an internet provider, but if I downloaded the RCI App, will I still be able to access chat?

Yes, the app only needs to be connected to the on board wifi to function.