Best way to get from London to Paris with kids and luggage?

kuhne

Hi all, I've taken this route before, always on airplane, for some reason I've never used the Eurostar.

In April I am taking my wife and two small kids (8 and 6) from London to Paris before going on a Royal Caribbean cruise from Barcelona.

I have almost everything set including every flight but the only thing I haven't purchased is the that trip because I am not sure if we should take the train or the plane.

Everything is better on the train of course, better experience, avoiding airports, etc. My problem is we will have two maybe three big luggage pieces and a double stroller and  me being the dad I have the honor and pleasure of carrying everyone's crap more often than not.

It's my experience taking trains in other countries that having a lot of luggage isn't always fun, especially if they are bigger pieces because the compartments to put luggage are always sort of just there and you just make it work, something tells me I am going to end up with one or two luggage's in one cart, another in the next and the stroller somewhere in between.

Should I just go for a flight? It's such a pain but paying for luggage and checking it in along with the stroller is such a comfort that I am not sure if it offsets the crappiness of flying.

So what do you guys recommend? And if you do recommend the train, could you direct me to which specific train and a link where I could purchase tickets in advance? I feel much better purchasing things in advance even when it isn't necessary, such as train travel.

Later! Can't wait for the cruise!

Agreed, take the Eurostar train. Frequent service from St Pancras station in central London, takes about 2 hours direct to Gare du Nord in central Paris. 

If you fly you’ll have to schlep out to Heathrow and in from Charles de Gaulle which will take twice as much time as the train.

Note with Eurostar you MUST buy tickets in advance, and they use dynamic pricing like Royal and the airlines so it pays to book early. If you’d like a bit more space and comfort consider booking Standard Premier instead of Standard (ie coach).

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, poocher said:

Your 6 year old will sit in a stroller?  The 8 year old too?

Yeah, it's a double stroller and we use it for trips where a lot of walking will take place, such as Disney and stuff like that. It's more for us than them... 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kuhne said:

Yeah, it's a double stroller and we use it for trips where a lot of walking will take place, such as Disney and stuff like that. It's more for us than them... 

my 5 year old granddaughter would die on her feet before sitting in a stroller.  Trips would be easier if she would!  

sit in the stroller I mean😁😳

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

my 5 year old granddaughter would die on her feet before sitting in a stroller.  Trips would be easier if she would!  

sit in the stroller I mean😁😳

That's what I expected out of mine too... but they only act that way when other kids they know are around, all of a sudden the little demons are too old to use a stroller and to be carried around... but when its only strangers around they don't mind it one bit.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kuhne said:

Would Eurostar.com be the best place to buy those tickets for the train?

The Man in Seat 61:

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/london-to-paris-by-eurostar.htm#how-to-buy-tickets

• Like 2

I buy my Eurostar tickets directly on eurostar.com from the United States with no issues.  I also download the Eurostar app on to my iPhone and access my ticket from there to board the train.  I've ridden it twice (Paris to London and Amsterdam to London).  I will always use it for similar distances.   The only downside for the OP, as they have mentioned, is their luggage.  There will be room for the luggage on the train.  But you will need to deal with it yourself for the most part.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

This has been useful to me, too; thank you, everyone! Even though it’s just DH and I, we have a lot of luggage and my mobility scooter, so I was wondering the same thing for our upcoming trip.

This one is more difficult. See the information about special assistance on the Eurostar website.

https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/travel-info/travel-planning/accessibility

Look particularly at "Who we can help" and "How we can help". If you need assistance with baggage, pieces are limited to 15 kg each; I can't see a maximum number per passenger.

• Like 1

I was very close to going with a very cheap Air France flight but I ended up following all of your good advice and just purchased four tickets for the train, it wasn't that bad even adding the "premier standard" cabin which apparently has better seats and meals, the kids should have fun there. Got my tickets on my phone wallet and I am ready to go, too bad its until April.

Thanks, guys!

Any tips for someone who isn't from europe or the USA on such a trip? As far as immigration, passports, etc?

29 minutes ago, kuhne said:

Any tips for someone who isn't from europe or the USA on such a trip? As far as immigration, passports, etc?

You will pass thru passport control as you leave London.  First you pass thru UK passport control to properly exit the country.  Then a few steps further you will pass thru French passport control.  You will need to show any required documentation (visas, etc) at that point.  There is also a full X-ray scan of your luggage done at this point.   So you will need to lift each bag up on to a conveyor belt. The X-ray is large enough for large suitcases.  After all that you go to the waiting area until boarding.  In Paris, you simply exit the train and walk out of the station to go where you want.  There are no passport/customs formalities upon arrival. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

There is also a full X-ray scan of your luggage done at this point.

The security check is before the passport controls. And before that, you pass through automatic gates by scanning your tickets - this is the check-in, so don’t worry if you are queuing for one of the later controls towards the last check-in time, you’ve already done it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

The security check is before the passport controls. And before that, you pass through automatic gates by scanning your tickets - this is the check-in, so don’t worry if you are queuing for one of the later controls towards the last check-in time, you’ve already done it. 

16 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

You will pass thru passport control as you leave London.  First you pass thru UK passport control to properly exit the country.  Then a few steps further you will pass thru French passport control.  You will need to show any required documentation (visas, etc) at that point.  There is also a full X-ray scan of your luggage done at this point.   So you will need to lift each bag up on to a conveyor belt. The X-ray is large enough for large suitcases.  After all that you go to the waiting area until boarding.  In Paris, you simply exit the train and walk out of the station to go where you want.  There are no passport/customs formalities upon arrival. 

Excellent, thanks for the information, everyone!

I loved my stroller but I just say ditch the stoller. At that age it is more of a hassel.  Take a sitting break if they need it, but they can walk. Give them a backpack and they can carry their own stuff. Sudden!y the crayons, three stuffies and car toys aren't as necessary when they are responsible for lugging them around. Even at 6 our kids are to old for a stroller. I know you said it was for your comfort,but in Europe they are not built for access and they end up being more of a hindrance then a help. My twins stopped at four, only a trip to Disney warranted a stroller and even then we got rid of it at five.

I think you made the right choice on taking the train.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 1/15/2023 at 3:58 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

Follow-up if I may.

Do I need to separate electronics and liquids such as at an airport security check point?