Western Caribbean or Eastern Caribbean on RCC? Help me choose

Sigyn

I'm trying to decide between two itineraries on RCC in May 2024 for my family - we'll be getting two cabins. One for my husband and myself and one for our three kids (ages 16, 21 and 22 at the time of the cruise.) 

All of these ports are new to us. Even those we've technically been to, we were unable to actually visit due to weather, unable to tender from the ship, etc. on previous cruises. I know people tend to say they prefer the Eastern Caribbean but it's all new to us. We are an active family, some of us are scuba divers, the kids are all beach lovers, but we also appreciate a day on the ship relaxing and enjoying the activities on board. 

Here are the two options. As you'll see, one is significantly more expensive than the other. 

Harmony of the Seas out of Galveston ($5,200 for two cabins - one interior promenade view and one large balcony)

Day 1 - Galveston, Texas, depart 4 pm

Day 2 - Day At Sea

Day 3 - Day at Sea

Day 4 - Roatan, Honduras from 8 am - 5 pm

Day 5  - Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico from 8 am - 5 pm

Day 6 - Cozumel, Mexico from 7 am - 5 pm

Day 7 - Day At Sea

Day 8 - Arrive at port 7 am

OR

Wonder of the Seas out of Port Canaveral ($8,004 for two cabins - one interior promenade view and one large balcony)

Day 1 - Port Canaveral, depart 4:30 pm

Day 2 - Perfect day at CocoCay, 7 am - 4 pm

Day 3 - Day at Sea

Day 4 - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, 12:30 pm - 8 pm

Day 5 - Philipsburg, St. Maarten, 8 am -  6 pm

Day 6 - Day at Sea

Day 7 - Day at Sea

Day 8 - Arrive at port 6 am

Edited by njsmom

You're right that most people, including us, would say they like eastern better.  St. Maarten is one of our favorite stops.  If you've not been to any of the western ports though, you'll have a great time.  Roatan has decent snorkeling and we love a quiet beach day at Nachi Cocom on Cozumel.  There are other beach clubs there with more activities for the kids.  Costa Maya is a manufactured port but we enjoyed an excursion to Mayan Ruins.

I'd agree that the lower price option from Galveston might be better.  Spend some of the savings on some nicer upgrades somewhere...an excursion, specialty dining, etc.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Can you drive to either port. I'd choose the closer port. 

Both will be amazing for you. 

No, they're both too far for driving. Airfare would be about the same to each port. 

I like the eastern better but for 2800 bucks I'd gladly do anther western.  If you are a Royal veteran there might be novelty factor with Wonder that might level the scales a little but they are the same class of ship so a lot of what you will find on Wonder will be on Harmony.

• Like 1

I am an oddball... I prefer Roatan and Cozumel over CocoCay. 
I also think the activities for your family might be better with the Western Caribbean Itinerary.
I have not been on Wonder but I can't imagin it is worth $2800 more than Harmony. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

I also think the activities for your family might be better with the Western Caribbean Itinerary.
I have not been on Wonder but I can't imagin it is worth $2800 more than Harmony. 

I, too, prefer the Western ports over many of the over-visited Eastern ports (there are some great Eastern ports, but RCCL rarely visits them).

For that price difference, I would definitely choose the western route.  Also, as an avid scuba diver, you will love the three ports on the western itinerary for diving.  We are booked to dive in Roatan and Costa Maya again this coming March.  Unless you are going to Bonaire, the diving in the western ports is far superior to eastern ports.  Nachi Cocom gets our nod as well for a great beach day in Cozumel every visit.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2023 at 8:15 PM, njsmom said:

I'm trying to decide between two itineraries on RCC in May 2024 for my family - we'll be getting two cabins. One for my husband and myself and one for our three kids (ages 16, 21 and 22 at the time of the cruise.) 

All of these ports are new to us. Even those we've technically been to, we were unable to actually visit due to weather, unable to tender from the ship, etc. on previous cruises. I know people tend to say they prefer the Eastern Caribbean but it's all new to us. We are an active family, some of us are scuba divers, the kids are all beach lovers, but we also appreciate a day on the ship relaxing and enjoying the activities on board. 

Here are the two options. As you'll see, one is significantly more expensive than the other. 

Harmony of the Seas out of Galveston ($5,200 for two cabins - one interior promenade view and one large balcony)

Day 1 - Galveston, Texas, depart 4 pm

Day 2 - Day At Sea

Day 3 - Day at Sea

Day 4 - Roatan, Honduras from 8 am - 5 pm

Day 5  - Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico from 8 am - 5 pm

Day 6 - Cozumel, Mexico from 7 am - 5 pm

Day 7 - Day At Sea

Day 8 - Arrive at port 7 am

I don't know what your preferences are... but IMHO Costa Maya is best only if you like local beach clubs.  One beach challenge is seaweed; as far as the divers, visibility can sometimes be an issue.  Almost anything else will require a long drive (as in 1 - 2 hours each way) - allowing up to an hour to disembark and get on the road, you won't have much time at your destination(s).  As far as the port itself, remember that in the Mayan dialect "Cost Maya" translates to "Overpriced Tacos".  They do have an overpriced and underwhelming water park at the port (complete with a fake Mayan pyramid), but this may be a good "stay aboard" day for Mom & Dad.

We enjoyed Roatan a couple of years ago, but I've heard mixed reviews from people who have been there lately.  Myself, I'm not letting them keep me from going back this December.  This is also the place where your divers may be the happiest!

I'm digging the early arrival at Cozumel!  It gives you a lot of options.  Again, this is another place where your divers will be happy.  If you're not interested in the standard excursions, you can take the ferry across to Playa del Carmen for the day (remember to convert ferry departure times to ship's time).

Enjoy your cruise!          --bruce T.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:31 PM, firefly333 said:

Can you drive to either port. I'd choose the closer port. 

Yes.  Airfare and possible day before lodging costs should be factored into the overall trip cost.  Western Carribean seems the better itinerary ... but a similar trip departing from Tampa gives an additional port to visit.  For me, Cozumel was a wasted stop and I enjoyed Costa Maya as the last stop of my 7-day Western out of Tampa.  The OP is going to spend a lot of money on the cruise, transportation to/from, potential lodging costs, excursions, etc.  I understand the concern to plan the trip working best for the family.  Want to adopt me for the trip?  

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:10 PM, LilBlackDress said:

On 1/19/2023 at 10:32 PM, Russ Lomas said:

I, too, prefer the Western ports over many of the over-visited Eastern ports (there are some great Eastern ports, but RCCL rarely visits them).

Me three! I absolutely love the Mesoamerican Reef. Doing an identical cruise this year on Allure to those three stops because we loved them so much last year (choosing some different excursions...). But I think it really depends on what you like to DO when you're in port. 

• Like 3