Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

On 4/4/2023 at 1:26 PM, majortom10 said:

Food is very subjective but having done over 30 cruises with P&O since 2000 we were disappointed with the food served in MDR on our recent Iona cruise. No issue with quality just small portion size and very repetitive menu with poor choice.

I can't go back that far but my memory of P&O ten years ago is of dated silver service of vast quantities of overdone, soggy vegetables somewhat reminiscent of railway dining cars back in the 1970s. Frankly, that was one of the reasons we gave up going on P&O! Although we weren't that impressed with Iona's main dining rooms ( I recall one really quite poor, tough piece of sirloin steak) we found the quality rather better than our experience on the smaller ships.  The steak is on the menu every night, of course, and I have avoided it ever since.  The portions are perfectly adequate, we feel: it is hard enough to avoid weight gain on a cruise as it is!

We first "discovered" speciality dining on Celebrity: where again I have had some poor MDR meals.  Now I would avoid ships where there is not a good range of  speciality dining. Iona scores well because of the great range on offer and the moderate prices charged for the quality. Each to their own taste, of course, but Celebrity is now off our list because we find Tuscan Grill unimpressive and do not want Le Petit Chef. Although I miss Murano!! Just to say to offer a bit of comparison to P&Os offerings.

Now looking forward to trying Arvia at the end of this month

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Froxfield said:

I can't go back that far but my memory of P&O ten years ago is of dated silver service of vast quantities of overdone, soggy vegetables somewhat reminiscent of railway dining cars back in the 1970s. Frankly, that was one of the reasons we gave up going on P&O! Although we weren't that impressed with Iona's main dining rooms ( I recall one really quite poor, tough piece of sirloin steak) we found the quality rather better than our experience on the smaller ships.  The steak is on the menu every night, of course, and I have avoided it ever since.  The portions are perfectly adequate, we feel: it is hard enough to avoid weight gain on a cruise as it is!

We first "discovered" speciality dining on Celebrity: where again I have had some poor MDR meals.  Now I would avoid ships where there is not a good range of  speciality dining. Iona scores well because of the great range on offer and the moderate prices charged for the quality. Each to their own taste, of course, but Celebrity is now off our list because we find Tuscan Grill unimpressive and do not want Le Petit Chef. Although I miss Murano!! Just to say to offer a bit of comparison to P&Os offerings.

Now looking forward to trying Arvia at the end of this month

Yes we are looking forward to our cruise on Arvia in September after our most favourite ship QM2 in May. We thought the specialty dining and choice on Iona was good and had excellent meals in Epicurean, Sindhu and Olive Grove but was somewhat disappointed with Beach House. I wonder if Iona, like all ships, varies in quality of food served depending on who the Executive Chef is. Normally I agree when having 4-5 course dinner that you don't need or require massive portions but on our recent cruise in March like I said no problem with quality but portion size was very poor and looked lost some evenings on the plate for main course.

Hope you both are well and continue to enjoy cruising whoever it may be with. We are back on our usual Canaries cruise in the Grills on Cunard in November.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

Just got back off a cruise to Caribbean and USA on Ventura. Can honestly say the worst food we have had in our 17 cruises. 16 aboard P&O ships. Soups that were o.k. but didn't resemble their description and varied between hot and warm. Main courses that whatever you had one of the veg was always broccoli which in most cases was inedible and ended up with a brown tinge. Desserts that came nowhere near our previous cruises. Quoting they were a pudding with rum or a dessert with pina colada, but no taste of either. Wishy washy custard that was more like water. I can again say in all honesty that during a 35 night cruise only four meals were good. They were three at Sindu which was excellent and one at the Beach House which was good although I didn't go a bundle on the dessert which described itself as an Eton Mess Sizzler. Yes it sizzled, but not an Eton Mess for me.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Just got back off a cruise to Caribbean and USA on Ventura. Can honestly say the worst food we have had in our 17 cruises. 16 aboard P&O ships. Soups that were o.k. but didn't resemble their description and varied between hot and warm. Main courses that whatever you had one of the veg was always broccoli which in most cases was inedible and ended up with a brown tinge. Desserts that came nowhere near our previous cruises. Quoting they were a pudding with rum or a dessert with pina colada, but no taste of either. Wishy washy custard that was more like water. I can again say in all honesty that during a 35 night cruise only four meals were good. They were three at Sindu which was excellent and one at the Beach House which was good although I didn't go a bundle on the dessert which described itself as an Eton Mess Sizzler. Yes it sizzled, but not an Eton Mess for me.

I'm convinced most of what you describe is available in the buffets 

Hence why we only eat buffets or speciality now

MDRs aren't for us.

In the buffet - If you don't like the soup you can get something else. You can try a little bit of 3 main courses. And try 3 desserts til you find one you like. Serve yourself the veg you like not what they choose to give you etc

I realise thats definitely not for everyone but it's what I've come to figure out works for us

And instead the time we save compared to MDR when we choose buffet we have cocktails served to us and/or watch extra entertainment

But everyone has to make a cruise work for them the best way that works for them

I just dont think cruises will change back to MDR being the best places to dine on board

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I am sorry to read this, especially as such a cruise on Ventura is in our distant future and another Ventura cruise is in our near future. I will report back if I find it to be inferior to what we have experienced before.

I understood what a previous poster says about why he likes buffets, but that is definitely not me! I wouldn't use a buffet if other venues were available and convenient. Our last cruise on Ventura was very good and I remember little about the MDR dining so it must have been okay for us - we are neither picky not demanding ...... well in my view 😁

The buffet was another matter altogether and seemed chaotic on the occasions we did use it. However I also felt the same about the Iona buffet on our recent cruise and certainly not conducive to the 'dining experience' we want much of the time when on holiday.

We don't linger over our meals and inform the wait staff accordingly, but we do want a pleasant experience both from the food and the service.

I will add that I don't feel so negative towards Celebrity buffets (the line we use most, for whom I don't claim perfection 😉) but accept those cruises cost more pppd than P&O, which I have felt generally offered good value.

Back to horses for courses. The cruise I booked last week on returning from Iona is on Cunard, which we have not done before. Read into that what you will!

• Like 5

We were on Iona Feb/March and had no problem with the Coral MDR. Certainly the menu is not as extensive as it used to be but there was some differences every evening. The quality was generally fine and the portion sizes suited us. We never booked just went to the restaurant between 8.00 and 8.30 and got in immediately most nights. We did intersperse it with specialty dining which was excellent .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I am sorry to read this, especially as such a cruise on Ventura is in our distant future and another Ventura cruise is in our near future. I will report back if I find it to be inferior to what we have experienced before.

I understood what a previous poster says about why he likes buffets, but that is definitely not me! I wouldn't use a buffet if other venues were available and convenient. Our last cruise on Ventura was very good and I remember little about the MDR dining so it must have been okay for us - we are neither picky not demanding ...... well in my view 😁

The buffet was another matter altogether and seemed chaotic on the occasions we did use it. However I also felt the same about the Iona buffet on our recent cruise and certainly not conducive to the 'dining experience' we want much of the time when on holiday.

We don't linger over our meals and inform the wait staff accordingly, but we do want a pleasant experience both from the food and the service.

I will add that I don't feel so negative towards Celebrity buffets (the line we use most, for whom I don't claim perfection 😉) but accept those cruises cost more pppd than P&O, which I have felt generally offered good value.

Back to horses for courses. The cruise I booked last week on returning from Iona is on Cunard, which we have not done before. Read into that what you will!

We agree yet again, Mrs Goggins.  Buffets are not part of the cruise experience we’re looking for. Nothing wrong with the food - just everything else!

The old style P&O MDR experience suited us well enough, with good company, good service and good food. No complaints at all.  Occasional dinners in the Epicurean were also a treat. Buffet breakfasts in hotels are one thing, but not lunches and dinners. For us, anyway. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We agree yet again, Mrs Goggins.  Buffets are not part of the cruise experience we’re looking for. Nothing wrong with the food - just everything else!

The old style P&O MDR experience suited us well enough, with good company, good service and good food. No complaints at all.  Occasional dinners in the Epicurean were also a treat. Buffet breakfasts in hotels are one thing, but not lunches and dinners. For us, anyway. 

We did frequent the buffet for breakfast on occasions when we got up later and I sometimes popped up to the buffet to get a plate of food lunch time or afternoon tea time to take back to the cabin which was convenient as we were midships with lifts only a few cabins distance from ours which took me up to deck 15. Unfortunately for many the availability of cups for tea and coffee was very poor with constant situations throughout our cruise of no cups being available. Despite the initial Captains cocktail part (if that's what they call it) and him insisting on the ratio of passengers to crew being 2-1 on occasions people were told that there were staff shortages. Although in the eyes of some who have been on endless cruises we may not be deemed "seasoned cruisers" we have done 17 now. No matter what others may say with regards to pricing, pandemic issues or whatever to me and my wife and I don't consider us to be over fussy, standards have dipped considerably. Not due to the excellent service of waiting and bar staff, more due to some little person sitting in an office with no windows deciding if they do away with turndowns and little chocolates on the pillow, two complimentary bottles of water in the fridge on arrival, a small dish of boiled sweets, toiletries in a P&O bag, decent steaks in the MDR along with desserts vaguely resembling what they are supposed to be, then they can save the Company many thousands over the course of a years cruises. What they don't realise is that anyone with half a brain cell notices these cutbacks and whilst the CEO proclaims how wonderful it is to see all these people back on P&O ships it won't be long before some decide the cutbacks have gone too far and that if to get a decent meal means you have to go to the Epicurian, Sindu, Beach House or Glass House then you may as well pay out more for your cruise and get it all included. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 10:00 AM, majortom10 said:

Yes we are looking forward to our cruise on Arvia in September after our most favourite ship QM2 in May. We thought the specialty dining and choice on Iona was good and had excellent meals in Epicurean, Sindhu and Olive Grove but was somewhat disappointed with Beach House. I wonder if Iona, like all ships, varies in quality of food served depending on who the Executive Chef is. Normally I agree when having 4-5 course dinner that you don't need or require massive portions but on our recent cruise in March like I said no problem with quality but portion size was very poor and looked lost some evenings on the plate for main course.

Hope you both are well and continue to enjoy cruising whoever it may be with. We are back on our usual Canaries cruise in the Grills on Cunard in November.

Firstly may I say I am glad you liked the Epicurian, Sindu etc. as did we on Ventura. My issue is not with these venues, but of the fact that to get what I consider a decent meal you have to pay extra. Whilst I am aware that P&O are amongst the cheapest for the number of nights on a cruise their prices are increasing quite substantially. An example of this is the 35 night cruise we have just taken aboard Ventura cost just over £6,200 for the cabin. Next year a 30 night cruise onboard Aurora/Arcadia is £8,500 and increase of over £2000 and 5 nights less. 

9 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

We did frequent the buffet for breakfast on occasions when we got up later and I sometimes popped up to the buffet to get a plate of food lunch time or afternoon tea time to take back to the cabin which was convenient as we were midships with lifts only a few cabins distance from ours which took me up to deck 15. Unfortunately for many the availability of cups for tea and coffee was very poor with constant situations throughout our cruise of no cups being available. Despite the initial Captains cocktail part (if that's what they call it) and him insisting on the ratio of passengers to crew being 2-1 on occasions people were told that there were staff shortages. Although in the eyes of some who have been on endless cruises we may not be deemed "seasoned cruisers" we have done 17 now. No matter what others may say with regards to pricing, pandemic issues or whatever to me and my wife and I don't consider us to be over fussy, standards have dipped considerably. Not due to the excellent service of waiting and bar staff, more due to some little person sitting in an office with no windows deciding if they do away with turndowns and little chocolates on the pillow, two complimentary bottles of water in the fridge on arrival, a small dish of boiled sweets, toiletries in a P&O bag, decent steaks in the MDR along with desserts vaguely resembling what they are supposed to be, then they can save the Company many thousands over the course of a years cruises. What they don't realise is that anyone with half a brain cell notices these cutbacks and whilst the CEO proclaims how wonderful it is to see all these people back on P&O ships it won't be long before some decide the cutbacks have gone too far and that if to get a decent meal means you have to go to the Epicurian, Sindu, Beach House or Glass House then you may as well pay out more for your cruise and get it all included. 

As a fellow tractor boy (in exile) I agree.  The staff are great and do their very best - but you can't win against the company accountants, constantly shaving away at every penny they can cut out.  They'll fill their ships, sure, but what was a luxury holiday is now a commodity, and commodities don't carry premium prices.  I think we're already seeing this in the price war that's currently going on, with prices as low as £50pppn again.  

Cruises aren't the only holidays either.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Firstly may I say I am glad you liked the Epicurian, Sindu etc. as did we on Ventura. My issue is not with these venues, but of the fact that to get what I consider a decent meal you have to pay extra. Whilst I am aware that P&O are amongst the cheapest for the number of nights on a cruise their prices are increasing quite substantially. An example of this is the 35 night cruise we have just taken aboard Ventura cost just over £6,200 for the cabin. Next year a 30 night cruise onboard Aurora/Arcadia is £8,500 and increase of over £2000 and 5 nights less. 

MDR dining is facing reduced standards on most cruiselones isn't it? With an added benefit of P and O being that their speciality dining is far cheaper to add in than on other lines?

But there may be some cruiselines still at higher end who still put MDR dining as highest priority?

Which are they and what are they charging in comparison for their cruises?

I imagine they are really high end prices?

But they are still out there?

51 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

MDR dining is facing reduced standards on most cruiselones isn't it? With an added benefit of P and O being that their speciality dining is far cheaper to add in than on other lines?

But there may be some cruiselines still at higher end who still put MDR dining as highest priority?

Which are they and what are they charging in comparison for their cruises?

I imagine they are really high end prices?

But they are still out there?

Yes they are if you cruise on Cunard in Britannia restaurant they are not high end prices. In fact they are in the ball park for many cruises as on Aurora and Arcadia for a balcony cabin. Arcadia was initially going to be QV so a very similar design and size. There are many cruiser's out there who still want dinner in MDR or speciality restaurants and not eat food on the go or burger, hot dog or pizza while sitting by swimming pool on Arvia/Iona. Which is fine for a snack during the day, but not for me, as a main meal in the evening. I enjoyed Iona on the whole even though food in MDR was disappointing but ate also in Olive Grove, Epicurean and Sindhu and Keel & Cow for our main meal in the evening. Not once did we use buffet, 360 or the Quays for main meal at night even though fish and chips in Quays was excellent for lunch.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

So Cunard is the current best alternative for older fashioned better  quality MDRs?

That makes sense

Isn't that the way for people to go now if MDR is important to them? And they aren't enjoying P and O?

Also smaller more intimate cruises?

Do Cunard include tips in their pricing?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

A couple of grumbles from me re P&O food in MDR. The first, and more subjective, is the format of the lunch menu. I found the traditional menu far easier to navigate and many times I have heard table companions comment ‘oh, I didn’t see that on the menu.’

The second relates to desserts. In the past displays of desserts were placed at the entrance to the MDR. This gave some indication of the nature (& crucially) size of each dessert which isn’t always apparent from the menu. Good waiters will give further details but sometimes they are not accurate. I accept that you can always leave some dessert uneaten but…

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So Cunard is the current best alternative for older fashioned better  quality MDRs?

That makes sense

Isn't that the way for people to go now if MDR is important to them? And they aren't enjoying P and O?

Also smaller more intimate cruises?

Do Cunard include tips in their pricing?

Following this with interest. We have just come back from MSC (ok food in the MDR, amazing food in the pay-for restaurants), next is Azura in October, with a fair bit of OBC to try Sindhu, Glass House, etc. Then in June 2024 we have Cunard (very good food last July, not impressed by the Verandah on QE). Finally we have Oceania's Regatta in October 2024 - more expensive, small ship but everything except tips included (all restaurants, wi-fi, soft drinks, laundry & 4 excursions). I'll report back 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, We´re going on Britannia to the Fjords on the 5th of May and the dining bookings opened today, but the website only allows me to pre-book the Limelight Club.
Isn´t it possible to pre-book Sindhu or Epicurean?
I know I can do it once on board, but would be nice to already have all our specialty meals pre booked.
TIA!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oAlgo said:

Hi, We´re going on Britannia to the Fjords on the 5th of May and the dining bookings opened today, but the website only allows me to pre-book the Limelight Club.
Isn´t it possible to pre-book Sindhu or Epicurean?
I know I can do it once on board, but would be nice to already have all our specialty meals pre booked.
TIA!

A few people have reported this issue now. Like you, I was hoping to pre-book a number of speciality restaurants before we board, especially as you can get a discount by doing so on top of loyalty discount (you lose both of those if using OBC whilst on board). I hope this gets sorted (unless it’s a permanent change). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

A few people have reported this issue now. Like you, I was hoping to pre-book a number of speciality restaurants before we board, especially as you can get a discount by doing so on top of loyalty discount (you lose both of those if using OBC whilst on board). I hope this gets sorted (unless it’s a permanent change). 

I suppose there´s no way around it if the website doesn´t allow the pre bookings?
Or would P&O help over the phone, or my travel agent?
Thanks for your answer!

10 minutes ago, oAlgo said:

I suppose there´s no way around it if the website doesn´t allow the pre bookings?
Or would P&O help over the phone, or my travel agent?
Thanks for your answer!

I don’t think that there’s a workaround. It sounds like a case of having to book on board. @molecrochip may know if this is one of P&Os many IT glitches, or a policy change? We are on Iona in August and it was my intention to pre book 6 of the 7 nights in speciality restaurants. It will be a shame if we can’t, although we are fortunate that we get priority boarding so can hopefully still secure availability as soon as we board. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, happy v said:

Our restaurants/entertainment wasn't available on the date given. It did appear a few days later. Keep checking 

That’s very useful to know. Thanks. Sounds like yet another P&O IT glitch then. Now there’s a surprise 😂 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, happy v said:

Our restaurants/entertainment wasn't available on the date given. It did appear a few days later. Keep checking 

We got off Azura a few days ago. Speciality restaurants and entertainment weren't available to book pre cruise. I suspect that this is a change to policy rather than a glitch. Entertainment and MDR are  just show up. Just as folk have been longing for. Specialities are book on the app, but be quick as they fill up fast. Back to normal, just as folk have been wishing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We got off Azura a few days ago. Speciality restaurants and entertainment weren't available to book pre cruise. I suspect that this is a change to policy rather than a glitch. Entertainment and MDR are  just show up. Just as folk have been longing for. Specialities are book on the app, but be quick as they fill up fast. Back to normal, just as folk have been wishing.

Must make sure I avoid these old fashioned, outdated small ships that refuse to make best use of modern technology to allow people to plan  holidays better, avoid needless  physical queues and make the most of their precious holiday time on board.