E-Muster Continues

sunonfire

16 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Has it been?

Stupid brain....

I know we had to do it on MSC Armonia in 2019, pre-cooties

I think Carnival figured the tripping risk was much greater than the reward.  On the MG, PFD's aren't even in your cabin.  I think they are stored at or near the lifeboats. 

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So, in a real emergency, everyone should follow the new muster drill, and decide when they want to saunter down to the muster station?  The purpose of a drill is to train you in what you would actually experience in an emergency, the old drill did that, but the new one doesn't.

Proof to your point; two cruises on Carnival since the new system went in effect with our muster in the main theater. Our cards were scanned with a group that walked in with us and all of them immediately left. Zero accountability.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

When I read this in the article:

"noted the success of the new drill in demonstrating real-world application of the safety procedures."

I asked myself, "has Carnival had a real emergency?"  Because that would be the only way that they could have had a success in demonstrating "real-world application" of the safety procedures.  'Cause the new drill bears no worldly resemblance to a "real-world" emergency.

But, I would say that Carnival, and John Heald last, would have knowledge of whether the IMO and USCG are going to decide the e-muster is going away.  Since SOLAS has not been amended to reflect the e-muster, it has likely only been provisionally approved, subject to review.

It works both ways. Neither old nor new have been tested in the face of true emergency. I don't think it's unreasonable to say the more personalized, clearly communicated, new method has some benefits. 

Edited by Joebucks

10 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to say the more personalized, clearly communicated, new method has some benefits. 

I would tend to agree. Going over the muster briefing when first arriving on the ship, for my wife and I, has been a better experience than several hours after boarding.

After several hours, we've maybe had a couple drinks, ate lunch, really just starting our vacation after what might have been a long drive, flight etc. I know I've fallen asleep quite reguarly in the old style muster drills.

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Easy to just hit the muster station on boarding and be done with it.

Same. I wish everyone felt and acted that way- when we were on the Dream in December they had to close the bars and buffet temporarily because people hadn't yet.

1 minute ago, notscb said:

Same. I wish everyone felt and acted that way- when we were on the Dream in December they had to close the bars and buffet temporarily because people hadn't yet.

I’m pretty sure they still close bars for about 10 minutes on every cruise as they do the safety briefing over the loud speaker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

I’m pretty sure they still close bars for about 10 minutes on every cruise as they do the safety briefing over the loud speaker. 

Maybe- but on ours the CD came on over the loudpseaker several times over the course of about 45 minutes, shipwide (in cabins and everything) reminding the remaining X number of folks to do it. It was super annoying and he directly said that he'd close down all food and beverage and entertainment until it was done. I was actually impressed with how seriously they were taking it.

Edited by notscb
edit: it was nearly 30 minutes without, plus the safety briefing, so 35 minutes in total it was closed(ish)

Interesting thread.  Thanks chengkp75 for your awesome insights.  After 35+ cruises I always thought muster was for passengers and figured there had to be a better way.  But with your point about it being for the crew I’m convinced it should go back to the old way.  It’s a small time commitment to provide the training.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, notscb said:

Maybe- but on ours the CD came on over the loudpseaker several times over the course of about 45 minutes, shipwide (in cabins and everything) reminding the remaining X number of folks to do it. It was super annoying and he directly said that he'd close down all food and beverage and entertainment until it was done. I was actually impressed with how seriously they were taking it.

Yeah, that’s happened on every cruise we’ve had post restart.  Does seem like taking it serious but as chengkp75 points out, does nothing to help with crew training. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It works both ways. Neither old nor new have been tested in the face of true emergency.

I guess you're discounting the Grandeur of the Seas, Carnival Splendor, and Freedom of the Seas fires and the sinking of the Prinsendam, (as just a few off the top of my head) where the old style muster drill was used, and the passengers were mustered for a "real emergency" without problem, as not really being "true emergencies"?  You can go back to the start of modern cruising and find all the "true emergencies" that used the old style muster drill format that proved itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I guess you're discounting the Grandeur of the Seas, Carnival Splendor, and Freedom of the Seas fires and the sinking of the Prinsendam, (as just a few off the top of my head) where the old style muster drill was used, and the passengers were mustered for a "real emergency" without problem, as not really being "true emergencies"?  You can go back to the start of modern cruising and find all the "true emergencies" that used the old style muster drill format that proved itself.

Most passengers think the muster is only for when the ship is sinking and don't realize the number of events that could cause a ship-wide muster, such as the few that you mention. Mustering the passengers lets the Captain know that all of the passengers are safe and accounted for and keeps them out of the way while the crew deals with the emergency. While I like the new muster the sailor in me is always going "this isn't going to work if the brown stuff hits the fan".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2