Open letter to Princess President John Padgett

Kruzkrazy

On 1/24/2023 at 1:50 PM, ldtr said:

Keep in mind that until Covid the person you are debating with has probably enough days on Princess to be most traveled on most cruises. She stopped cruising after having long haul covid. Her husband is onboard for several cruises.

I was waiting for someone to mention that. However, from what I read, she never did test positive for Covid, but was awfully sick for a long time. Her husband tested positive, though. 

I know she’ll correct me if I’m wrong, which I’m happy to be. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I was waiting for someone to mention that. However, from what I read, she never did test positive for Covid, but was awfully sick for a long time. Her husband tested positive, though. 

I know she’ll correct me if I’m wrong, which I’m happy to be. 

A well documented account of an unfortunate experience on the Ruby.  It helped us in our decision to modify our plans during Covid.

On 1/19/2023 at 7:16 PM, Kruzkrazy said:

Mr. Padgett:
As a longtime Carnival stockholder and elite Princess cruiser with nearly 500 days at sea with your line, I fully understand that your ships have recently been idle for two years, making no money and piling on enormous debt. You needed to make changes. I get this. If you believe nothing else I write, you can believe that.
That said, I must convey to you my enormous disappointment in Princess after a recent 10-day cruise I took with my wife. In fact, Princess now seems an entirely different cruise line, and not for the better.
It all began weeks before we even boarded the Crown Princess, when our Medallions arrived in the mail. The shortcomings of this ill-conceived piece of technological rubbish have been well-documented in this forum, and I'll not waste my time and yours by rehashing all that. I'll just say that you would have done well to do some meaningful beta testing before foisting it on your paying customers. Frankly, it's an insult to us. In fairness, however, it does make a nice refigerator magnet, as another contributor to Cruise Critic has noted. Enough said about that.
Now, to embarkation day at the San Pedro cruise terminal in California. There was, in theory, a separate check-in line for elite passengers, as always. But the Princess employee was interested only in maintaining lines of equal length, and was unaware that the elite line should have been much shorter, benefitting your most loyal customers. The sign saying so was unmistakable. Clearly, she was ill-trained for her job.
Some other problems regarding elite passengers:
-- We always received a $35-per-person onboard credit. That is now gone.
-- No special toiletries in the bathroom, as in the past.
-- No more free internet, just a discount on the regular package. Gee, thanks a lot.
It is painfully clear, Mr. Padgett, that you no longer want our business. What you do want is a younger crowd that will accept your rampant nickel-and-diming without complaint. New passengers have no way of knowing what they are now missing.Your most loyal, longtime customers have become just another burden to be disposed of.
But these problems are not the end. With no corner left uncut, you have degraded the cruising experience in other ways as well:
 -- MDR food quality onboard has taken a huge hit. Portions are smaller. I almost needed a chain saw to cut my veal scaloppine. In Crown Grill, same thing. Our traveling companions ordered "tiger prawns" that turned out to be ordinary shrimp, barely an inch long. Steaks came with no sauces offered.
-- Dine My Way is a chaotic mess. What was wrong with two MDR seatings at set times?
-- You have removed the club chairs from all non-suite cabins. Why? Is it too expensive to maintain and clean them? Or have you simply cut your staff to the point that you now have no one to do it?
-- There are no longer any trash receptacles at the elevator stops. They used to be placed at every one, on all floors. No staffers to empty them, eh?
-- No padded loungers on the exterior promenade deck. Just hard, uncomfortable, upright wooden chairs. It used to be a pleasure to sit out there and just watch the ocean go by on a beautiful day. What's the matter, Mr. Padgett? Oh, right. I get it. You don't want me just having a lazy day relaxing outside. You want me inside, drinking, gambling and spending money in your overpriced shops.
-- No more chocolates on the pillows at night. Is this a small thing? You bet. Is it too small to complain about? Not at all, because it gives a perfect insight into your cut-everything-to-the-bone mindset. If the repeat passengers miss it, too bad. You don't want us anyway. The newbies will never know that the chocolates used to be there. As I said, I understand that you're in a financial hole now. But is saving money on an item as small as this worth deliberately antagonizing your biggest fans?
-- The automatic, even-though-I-don't-want-them floor-level night lights that went on in the middle of the  night every time I stepped out of bed. Or even if my sheet dangled over the side. And  the big  one outside the bathroom that awakened my wife every time.  What, we're such children that you can't trust us to get to the toilet without your help?
-- Last, but certainly not least, here's an item I just can't comprehend: An electronic panel outside my cabin door where I'm supposed to indicate whether I want my cabin serviced or just don't want to be disturbed. Trouble is, I'm standing right there with my medallion, which keeps unlocking the door and forcing me to keep reprogramming my preference, which never seems to work. My cabin steward finally told me to forget about it; nobody else could get it to work either. I mean, really, sir, what was wrong with the old-fashioned cardboard signs we'd hang on the door handle as we left the cabin? Are you so maniacally committed to electronics that you must simply have them everywhere, even when they make no sense whatever?
In short, Mr. Padgett, you win. You are rid of my wife and me. We will now take our money, and our combined 1,000 days at sea, and go where we can get a little appreciation.
There. Happy now?
KK

Any response yet? 

We just came off a 15 day cruise on the Crown.  I agree with everything the OP said.  Worst food I have ever had.  The best thing we found was the street tacos on deck 15.  Trying to get into the main dining rooms were a mess.  The app would not take reservations for 5:00 or show the menus.  We had to do everything thru the TV.  For the people who have had no problems with the app, you cannot know how frustrating it is for it not to work.  Some people had not problems and could see menus and reserve a time.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’m using a two year old iPhone with 256GB of memory. Hardware is not the issue.

A 2 year iPhone probably has 4 GB of memory. The upper end 14's have six. 256GB is the storage capacity, which has very little to do with performance until full. But hardware on any mid-range and up less than 4 year old phone should not be an issue for any single app. It will be an issue if you have 20 other apps running in the background, Just stopping a few of the popular social media sites from running in the background can show some pretty good performance gains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

A 2 year iPhone probably has 4 GB of memory. The upper end 14's have six. 256GB is the storage capacity, which has very little to do with performance until full. But hardware on any mid-range and up less than 4 year old phone should not be an issue for any single app. It will be an issue if you have 20 other apps running in the background, Just stopping a few of the popular social media sites from running in the background can show some pretty good performance gains.

I have to smile at this. I neurotically close every app at the end of every day. I even close Safari tabs daily, and erase my history weekly (in the Saturday morning to do list!). But the exact same issues with the Medallion app are replicated on my new iPad Pro with 512Gb of storage. I don’t know how much memory that has, but don’t believe equipment is the issue. 

I have tables the issue until we get closer to deciding how many cruises, if any, we’ll actually be taking. It’s not worth it to me to fight hard now to get the mess cleared up if I won’t need to. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I have to smile at this. I neurotically close every app at the end of every day. I even close Safari tabs daily, and erase my history weekly (in the Saturday morning to do list!). But the exact same issues with the Medallion app are replicated on my new iPad Pro with 512Gb of storage. I don’t know how much memory that has, but don’t believe equipment is the issue. 

I have tables the issue until we get closer to deciding how many cruises, if any, we’ll actually be taking. It’s not worth it to me to fight hard now to get the mess cleared up if I won’t need to. 

There is storage and there is memory. The two are not the same. Storage is how much you phone can hold, memory is what is accessed by the processor, operating system and applications as they execute 

The amount of storage is not an issue. The issue is free memory. On an android phone one can check it by going into setting, then selecting battery and device care.

Apple normally does not advertise how much memory (RAM) on its phones and as far as I can find does not provide an easy way to check how much is free on its phone.  IPhone 14 models have about 6 GB of RAM. IPhone 13 models had 4 GB.

My phone a Samsung 21, has 8 gb of  RAM memory. of which normally about 3GB is free. If I clear out the cache on the medallion app. Then restart the app it shows that that app by itself uses .5GB of RAM memory.

Edited by ldtr

We are on the Crown now, and having a very different experience than the OP.   Food in MDR is probably the best we have encounter in over 40 Princess cruises, although a Crown  Grill experience was less than satisfactory. 
Yes, there are cut backs every where, another way of raising prices as CCL struggles to service its debt.  But overall, recognizing how the world has change in the last 2 years,  we are very satisfied !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am still trying to get my head around writing a letter citing missing trash receptacles at elevator stops!  After more than 50 years of extensive cruising I cannot imagine such a horrible circumstance!  And the horror that nearly all cruise lines have moved away from the traditional (think back to the 70s,80s) fixed seatings to a system where folks actually have a choice!  How outrageous.  I still recall our Dec 2021 Enchanted cruise when I would sit at the IC (every morning) trying to decide, which MDR and what time.  Once determined, I actually had to use my phone to input the info and get a reservation.  Could there be a worse fate?  Imagine varying one's dining time to best fit the evenings schedule.  

And my goodness, automatic night lights!  This is a fate almost worse than death itself!  I must rush and write the CEO about such nonsense.  Don't we all miss the days trying to get around a completely dark cabin without falling over a mouse or cat?

But seriously folks, time have changed, and we seniors need to deal (and even embrace) some of the changes or be left behind with the others who still go to work in horse/buggies.  

As to the nearly infamous (Princess Medalion) I do have some very strong (not really) feelings.  We cruised on Princess many times as they were just rolling out the Medallion.  On several cruises we watched contractors tearing open ceilings to add new sensors, Wifi antenna, etc.  We watched as they changed over the door locks.  All this was quite exciting (yawn).  Now, instead of carrying a key I must carry a Medallion.  And having a smart phone also helps complete the cycle.   I do think that Princess spent an awful lot of money on an unnecessary system.  But ONLY being in our 70s we can learn new tricks and have gradually embraced the technology.  I will admit to some lazy mornings, where we are relaxed in a deck chair, when I have used my phone (along with the Medallion) to order a Bloody Mary...which somehow appears at my lounger!  Tis magic.  I must admit to also doing some "bad" things.  One morning, while at my usual place not far from the IC, I wanted to get another cappucino.  I noticed there was a long line at the IC.  So, horrors, I pulled out my phone, opened the app, and ordered my cappucino.  About 10 minutes later one of my favorite IC waiters came buy to deliver my order!  Truly an awful experience and I will need to send a Special Deliver Telegram to Mr. Padgett complaining about such an outrage!  Imagine not having to spend 10 minutes in a queue.

But one of my favorites (in the letter to the CEO) was the complaint about no longer having the cardboard signs (like Do Not Disturb or Clean my Cabin).  I used to also like those signs, but they always seemed to disappear (probably taken by teens or children having some fun).  A fellow cruise told me that if your sign disappears just take one from another door!  That was a great system 🙂

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

41 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

I don’t like the automatic night lights either.  A bit of tape over the sensors…problem solved

Perhaps the solution is that somebody should write the CEO and demand a free roll of duct tape in every cabin.  They might also ask for a good supply of cardboard shims (in every cabin) to deal with cabin squeaks and creaks.  I have also thought of writing to complain about the bathroom mirrors getting fogged from the showers.  These are the kind of issues that need to have the immediate attention of the CEO.  Issues like the debt service on CCLs $32 Billion debt is not important.  But he does need to get more trash receptables.  I also think that getting plates in the Lido, that have an additional inch of diameter would be helpful/

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But one of my favorites (in the letter to the CEO) was the complaint about no longer having the cardboard signs (like Do Not Disturb or Clean my Cabin).  I used to also like those signs, but they always seemed to disappear (probably taken by teens or children having some fun).  A fellow cruise told me that if your sign disappears just take one from another door!  That was a great system

The new system is not that much better considering anyone can go to the display outside any cabin and change the "privacy please" to a "service the cabin" request or vice versa.

• Like 1

@Hlitner

Duck tape it the cure all to everything that is wrong in this world.  Unfortunately, it is a permanent fix to a temporary problem.  I have had my run in with removing duck tape. Not pleasant.

But you missed the most important item in the buffet.  They don't have trays and covers to carry your food safely (air borne particles) back to your room since Room Service will not deliver your specific buffet plate.  If you had a tray, you wouldn't need a plate with an extra inch.  Just pile up two plates.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

The new system is not that much better considering anyone can go to the display outside any cabin and change the "privacy please" to a "service the cabin" request or vice versa.

I'm not positive about it, but I really believe that only the person who resides in that cabin can make changes to the signs "privacy please" or "service the cabin" indicator. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm not positive about it, but I really believe that only the person who resides in that cabin can make changes to the signs "privacy please" or "service the cabin" indicator. 

I think anyone can change it.  We just touched it lightly and it lit up.  Touched it again and it went off.

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I am 100% sure as I suspected it could happen and I picked a random cabin and changed the status and then changed it back.

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Hlitner

Duck tape it the cure all to everything that is wrong in this world.  Unfortunately, it is a permanent fix to a temporary problem.  I have had my run in with removing duck tape. Not pleasant.

But you missed the most important item in the buffet.  They don't have trays and covers to carry your food safely (air borne particles) back to your room since Room Service will not deliver your specific buffet plate.  If you had a tray, you wouldn't need a plate with an extra inch.  Just pile up two plates.

That is why you use painters tape.  Does the job and easily removeable 😁

1 hour ago, caribill said:

I am 100% sure as I suspected it could happen and I picked a random cabin and changed the status and then changed it back.

Wow. Another flaw in they "secure" Medallion system. 😁

That explains why I found my door privacy indicator changed a few times on our last cruise. I asked our cabin steward & he said he didn't change it. We had loads of younger kids on that trip. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Wow. Another flaw in they "secure" Medallion system. 😁

That explains why I found my door privacy indicator changed a few times on our last cruise. I asked our cabin steward & he said he didn't change it. We had loads of younger kids on that trip. 

Can't be. Every Princess ad that they send to us touts the perfection of the experience provided by the wonderful new Medallion.

• Haha 2

This has been an interesting read....all 9 pages.

Im a loyal Princess cruiser and have already booked a cruise on the Sun Princess.

I sailed two Princess cruises in 2022... one on the Sky, the other on the Caribbean Princess. Neither cruises were up to what I would call the usual Princess standard. Considering there are people that don’t know where their next meal is coming from....being able to take a cruise keeps me from being too demanding.

The only issue I hope will be addressed is staffing. It affects the onboard service and is totally unfair to the crew. On the Caribbean Princess a senior staff officer confirmed they were only at 70% staffing....and the ship was fully booked. I witnessed the poor crew member working the pool side grill....all alone.

He had to take the orders, Cook the food, plate the food all while smiling. I repeatedly counted the number of people standing in line....averaged 40 to 50 people. If this was the military, that crew member deserved combat pay.

Princess upper management.....your crew is What makes Princess,Princess....take care of them.

Now I’ll shut up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Did the kids call you phone as ask if you had Prince Albert in the can?  Or if your refrigerator was running?😉

No, but I can't tell you how many times the down the rear elevator arrived from deck 17 with all the buttons pressed and no one on it. 

We don't normally cruise when kids are off school so it was a new experience for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:49 PM, Hlitner said:

And my goodness, automatic night lights!  This is a fate almost worse than death itself! 

Terrible idea.  Should've had an option to turn them off.  The steward finally took the table away from the wall and undid it from the socket.  Pushed a towel against the other one, but wondered/worried if that was a fire hazard.  Bathroom one was the worst -- so bright that it lit up the room.  Many of us get up during the night to use the restroom and it meant that the other occupant in the room was awoken as well.  Same with the sheet causing movement.

Definitely not restful.