Mexican Food on RCCL Ships (Specifically Tacos)

Ret MP

2 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

@Ret MPif you didn't try the fish tacos on the ship, here's the difference: a crispy taco is what most people think about when you say tacos -- a crispy corn taco shell with seasoned ground beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and salsa. Fish tacos are most often made with soft corn tortillas, so they are not crispy. They are often some kind of pan-seared or grilled fish -- not breaded fish sticks or fish and chips but fish filets that may be seasoned. Fish tacos (at least in central Texas) are usually served with chopped cabbage, maybe some red onion, sometimes even chopped mango. And then there's breakfast tacos, which are soft flour tortillas with scrambled eggs, cheese, sausage or bacon, maybe some shredded potatoes, and of course, more salsa. 🙂 

When we make Tacos at home, not fish, we buy corn tortillas and very lightly dip them in hot oil so they are a little warm but still soft.  I'm not a big fan of crispy Toco shells.  

I do love Breakfast Tacos with just about any traditional breakfast meats, eggs, potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese . Oh and jalapeños.     

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

No, it was about "AMERICANIZED" Mexican food on a cruise ship which I believe should refer to the original country of this food  and not always the US...

I've been to several cities in Mexico and their open air markets.  I've watch the locals prepare their own food for their own consumption, not commercialized, I can tell you that I'm so happy that we have Americanized Mexican Restaurants her in the U.S. and in the tourist areas of Mexico.   That's why I say, "Americanized", I love Americanized Mexican Food. Just like I like Americanized Chinese Food.    This is my opinion and my likes and dislikes.  Please don't try to make it about nationalism.  It has nothing to do with that.  It has everything to do about my taste preference.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I've been to several cities in Mexico and their open air markets.  I've watch the locals prepare their own food for their own consumption, not commercialized, I can tell you that I'm so happy that we have Americanized Mexican Restaurants her in the U.S. and in the tourist areas of Mexico.   That's why I say, "Americanized", I love Americanized Mexican Food. Just like I like Americanized Chinese Food.    This is my opinion and my likes and dislikes.  Please don't try to make it about nationalism.  It has nothing to do with that.  It has everything to do about my taste preference.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

We are the opposite.  Almost never eat TexMex in the US and usually eat where the locals eat in Mexico.  

Just now, Seville2Cabo said:

We are the opposite.  Almost never eat TexMex in the US and usually eat where the locals eat in Mexico.  

Yep, and that's Okay.  You are obviously more adventurous than me, at least dealing with food.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never heard of fish tacos.What part of NJ could I find one ?

Make them yourself, there's plenty of good recipes on the food channel www site.  Even though we can buy them cheaper here than we can cook them.  DW still makes good fish tacos.  

• Like 1

We get fish tacos all the time.  I don't know a Mexican restaurant anywhere around central or southern CA that doesn't serve fish tacos.  They are very common.

I just had some for lunch today. It is usually served with cabbage and pico de gallo. 

2 minutes ago, poocher said:

Grills right next door to terminal 1 at PC makes some terrific fish tacos

I was there for breakfast last Oct/Nov.  Good place.  Never looked beyond the breakfast menu, though.  

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

We are pretty adventurous and not from US originally … Of so we thought. We went to our local Dim sum (Chinese restaurant) and ordered from menu… not looking at presented items. Our 5 years old ordered Chicken fingers. Well… they turned out to be real chicken fingers with nails and everything!

I am from country which went through some rough periods so people did use many chicken entrails like liver, hearts etc, but that was completely waste-free cooking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We are pretty adventurous and not from US originally … Of so we thought. We went to our local Dim sum (Chinese restaurant) and ordered from menu… not looking at presented items. Our 5 years old ordered Chicken fingers. Well… they turned out to be real chicken fingers with nails and everything!

I am from country which went through some rough periods so people did use many chicken entrails like liver, hearts etc, but that was completely waste-free cooking.

I understand!  

My landlord in Germany, 1977 - 1980, used to kill his meat, (rabbit, hog/pig, whatever (not cow though)), in the driveway and butcher them there too.  My daughters would get a kick out of watching it.  It never bothered them, even when the guy washed out the intestines.  They'd ask what that was for, I said it was the skin of sausage.  Again, didn't bother them a bit.  Me either.  I always loved German Worst, all kinds. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Why do you all refer to the US when you talk about Mexican Food and not to original Mexican Food in Mexico?

Because outside of Mexico it is rare to find a non-American'ized 'Mexican' food.   It can be found but it is rare.   Outside of the Americas, a Mexican restaurant has a 98% chance of being Tex-Mex.  If it isn't I can almost guarantee that the owners are from Mexico. 

Even then if you wanted to be picky you can't really speak of "Mexican food" since it varies so much.  DH could give a dissertation on the differences.  

One of our new favorite places is Sal-Tex-Mex.   Basically Salvadorian, with Tex thrown in to tell people there is Queso and Nachos, and Mexican because people recognize that over Salvadorian.  

Growing up in Texas, I never had a fish taco up until pretty recently. Fish tacos are pretty much a California mex thing. With more Californians moving to Texas,there seems to be more Cali-mex places popping up. 

Also growing up in Texas, I watched as TexMex became mainstream American Mexican. Every where I travel in the us has TexMex influences. 

I am not ashamed of any food being Americanized. For generations, restauranteurs in all countries have survived by tailoring their menus to the local palate. Look at BBQ across America. Several region, several local palates. 

As an American local, American Chinese and TexMex are the superior versions. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ikirumata said:

Also growing up in Texas,

6 Gen Texan.  I've had Mexican in almost every state, nothing compares with TexMex.  But I still love New Mexican and Arizona cuisine.  My aunt taught me to make all homemade Mexican.  She was from Yuma and it is all good.  I make my own enchilada sauce, mole, Rejanos, Green Chili Stew, Guac, etc. etc.  RCCL's Loco Fresh barely makes Taco Bell grade but is fresh and still pretty good for lunch.  We always loved the old Sabors...Tiger Shrimp...mmmmm!  But Fresh only has black beans, we need refried Pintos.  It's all subjective.  I never could handle California's Mexican nor Wyoming...isch.

• Like 1