Yeah or Na

jula55

We were avid cruisers before the pandemic and are now considering dipping our toe back into a cruise.  Our concern is that it will never be the same as it was pre-pandemic unless you spend a fortune to upgrade to the premium club accommodation.  I recently spoke with a friend who went has cruised quite a bit in the past but felt that the experience on this particular cruise line was disappointing and would never travel with them again.  Ship was clean.  Food was terrible.  MDR staff were non-engaging to the point of being rude.  It was all about the alcohol.  No soft drink package option.  Had to pay for some of the shows....really?  Is this the new norm on a cruise ship?  Maybe it is.   If this is the case...not for us. To be fair I have not read through this forum and maybe this has already been addressed.  Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

To start with, you absolutely need to do some reading...there are many cruise lines out there to choose from. I have never sailed on a cruise where you had to pay for a show...I think that is just one cruise line. Many of the other things you note appear to me to be mostly limited to one cruise line.

• Like 3

We have cruised on 16 cruise lines and never been on any that charged for a show.  I do know that MSC has started charging for some shows on a few ships (that apparently have two theaters).  

But you raise a valid issue about things having changed since the COVID shutdown.  The changes, price increases, and cut-backs vary from cruise line to cruise line (and even from ship to ship) so one cannot paint with a broad brush.  Those of us who have been cruising for a long time (we go back over 50 years) have seen many changes over the years, so what is happening now is just "more change as usual."\

I do think (and we post about this on a regular basis) that many cruisers are making a big mistake by being "loyal" to one or two cruise lines.  There is a lot of variance between lines (and even ships) and rather than simply accept what has happened on one or two lines, it can be enlightening to open's one mind and explore other options.

Hank

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jula55 said:

Our concern is that it will never be the same as it was pre-pandemic 

That's a fair concern. My experience in life is that nothing will ever be the same as it was. Even just pre-pandemic.

The only thing constant in life is change.

I guess the question back is are you flexible enough to accept the changes that come in life?

• Like 5

Living life fearing "things aren't the way they used to be" is not going to end well. We just got off of a cruise a little over a week ago. It was an absolute blast. Life is too short to worry about the type of food you had 20 years ago on a cruise. 

• Like 6

We've done four cruises since the lockdown, all in 2022.  We loved them all.  Honestly, the main difference we've noted is that the pax are so much more "casual", after working from home and such for several years.  But in our experience, crew are just as delightful and hard-working, ships are clean, food ranged from good to excellent.  We plan to keep cruising as often as we can.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your responses. It looks like its time to book a cruise and make our own determination as to what is and what isn't since 2020.  Change is one thing....I understand this is what happens in life, but I still hope that there is value and positive experiences remaining after the changes.  Your cruise is what you make it. We always thought someone would have to work hard to have a disappointing cruise.  We are happy to hear that you are all enjoying great experiences on the cruises you have gone on in 2022. 😊 That is what I hoped to hear.   

• Like 1

I cannot help but think of FDR's quote "There is nothing to fear but fear itself."  Covid is real and somewhat dangerous just like many other viruses and bacterial infections.  Each person has to make their own determination what is in their own best interests and deal with their own tolerance level.   

I think that folks that are living in fear and expect the situation to change are misinformed.  It is what it is and the risk will continue for the foreseeable future.  The issue is not COVID, but how one chooses to live in a world with COVID.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jula55 said:

Thank you everyone for your responses. It looks like its time to book a cruise and make our own determination as to what is and what isn't since 2020.  Change is one thing....I understand this is what happens in life, but I still hope that there is value and positive experiences remaining after the changes.  Your cruise is what you make it. We always thought someone would have to work hard to have a disappointing cruise.  We are happy to hear that you are all enjoying great experiences on the cruises you have gone on in 2022. 😊 That is what I hoped to hear.   

Good decision! 

Everything has changed, I know even I have changed!

I can't wait until August to be once more out to sea.  😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

Good decision! 

Everything has changed, I know even I have changed!

I can't wait until August to be once more out to sea.  😀

NEWS FLASH! :   All things change, continually  -- as Heraclitus (noted pre-Socratic thinker) commented about 2,500 years ago:  "A man cannot enter the same river twice."

• Like 1

I have done 4 cruises since Covid , first was fantastic, had some issues on last but we do book suites , 3 celebrity cruises and a rccl cruise, entertainment was excellent, food was good but had a few issues on last one . We have two more booked for this year , looking forward to them. 

• Like 1

With many cruise lines sailing with 40 - 50% occupancy on their ships, it is no surprise that there are far fewer staff and the cruise lines are cutting back their product, accordingly. 

I did Barcelona to Dubai with Costa in November and there were 2500 on board. The ship (Toscana) holds 6500. 

Before Covid, cruise lines were ordering new mega ships thinking that the numbers who cruise would continue to rise, and their profits would rise in line.

Today though, its a perfect storm for many lines, far to many cabins and not enough customers to fill them. Many lines tried to entice people on their ships by lowering their prices but still cant enough people to book, now many of them are hiking their prices to get as much money as possible from those who are booking. 

It would not surprise me if there is more consolidation in the industry with cruise lines merging, many ships heading to the breakers yard and possible bankruptcy's, something eventually will have to give. 

In the meantime i will continue to cruise, i am doing back to back with Costa from Rio to Barcelona then onwards to Kiel. The flight to Rio from Spain cost more than the cruise from Rio to Barcelona. 

Unless you are travelling on a luxury line, then lower your expectations, you may then be surprised.

Having said that, reading these boards even some of the luxury lines are cutting back accordingly.  

My first cruise post pandemic was April of 2022 to Alaska.  I found everyone to be in a very good mood and very happy to be back on the open seas.  There were some that were taking precautions ( masks, gloves, face shields), but those were the exceptions.  It was nice to talk and laugh with strangers again..AND be able to see their mouth so I can understand better what they are saying!!!  The shows seemed a good capacity ( no every other seating), the bars were standing room only.  I think, overall, things have gotten back to "normal".  At my time of sailing, I think the ship was about 75% full.