Water & Protein Shakes

Bodgy

We are taking our first this summer and had some questions on NCL accommodating my husbands medical needs. 

He had surgery last year and he needs to drink a certain amount of water a day as well as have 3 protein shakes a day.  We would prefer to bring shakes (vs powder and mixing them ourselves) for him - it’s easier since we won’t have a dishwasher. I’m a little worried about him getting enough water. Would the cruise ship likely be able to accommodate us bringing water and shakes? It is not a problem to have the doctor write a note or whatever is needed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bodgy said:

I’m a little worried about him getting enough water.

Can he not drink tap water?  All water on the ship is tested and approved for drinking.  Fill up a glass or tumbler any time he wants.  For the shakes, you should contact NCL's "Special Needs" department to get permission to bring them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bodgy said:

We are taking our first this summer and had some questions on NCL accommodating my husbands medical needs. 

He had surgery last year and he needs to drink a certain amount of water a day as well as have 3 protein shakes a day.  We would prefer to bring shakes (vs powder and mixing them ourselves) for him - it’s easier since we won’t have a dishwasher. I’m a little worried about him getting enough water. Would the cruise ship likely be able to accommodate us bringing water and shakes? It is not a problem to have the doctor write a note or whatever is needed. 

The water on the ships is fine, I drink gallons of water a day at home and we all bring our yeti’s. They also sell water. They might let you bring on the shakes.

12 minutes ago, Bodgy said:

Tap water is probably ok. We don’t really drink it straight, we filter. I guess we could bring some sport bottles and fill them up. 

The majority of the water on the ship is "filtered" far more than what you do at home.  It comes from three sources, some comes from a "flash evaporator" that makes distilled water from sea water (so that is "purer" than your filtered water), some comes from Reverse Osmosis watermakers that make fresh water from sea water, and RO does a better job of filtering than a carbon filter, and finally, some water comes from shore, but this is limited due to cost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The majority of the water on the ship is "filtered" far more than what you do at home.  It comes from three sources, some comes from a "flash evaporator" that makes distilled water from sea water (so that is "purer" than your filtered water), some comes from Reverse Osmosis watermakers that make fresh water from sea water, and RO does a better job of filtering than a carbon filter, and finally, some water comes from shore, but this is limited due to cost.

I refuse to drink tap water at home, too much chlorine, use a brita, but drink it with no issues on cruises. We have a countertop ice maker and I even use filtered for that.

Edited by mjkacmom

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

No issue with water on the ship.

However, NCL does not allow protein shakes to be brought on board. Since this is a medical requirement, contact special needs for permission to bring your shakes.

2 hours ago, Bodgy said:

NCL website says you can't bring on board unsealed food items.  I suspect a sealed can of protein powder or individual sealed powders would be fine.  Especially with a doctor's note but OP needs to verify with special needs.

Bodgy.  I'm familiar with this since I had bariatric surgery in 2020.  Hope it goes well with your husband.  As others have noted, water is plentiful on board.   BTW, have  you tried mixing the powders with milk?  Much better taste and extra protein from the milk.

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I suspect a sealed can of protein powder or individual sealed powders would be fine. 

Yes, a sealed can of powder would be fine and wouldn't require any special permission but the OP said they would prefer to bring the shakes and that's why they need to contact Special Needs. 

40 minutes ago, lisa928 said:

We got permissions to bring liquids on (juice & protein shakes) for my daughter with diabetes by calling the  Special Needs desk.

My dad is a diabetic of almost 50 years, has never brought his own supply of these products and never had an issue on 20+ cruises (mostly on Princess).

12 hours ago, Bodgy said:

Contact the accessible sailing desk (link below) for permission and process to carry your proline shakes onboard. Stick to a simple statement that they are required and avoid discussing powders and dishwashers. 

Order a case of water or two and it will be delivered to your room. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

11 hours ago, hallux said:

My dad is a diabetic of almost 50 years, has never brought his own supply of these products and never had an issue on 20+ cruises (mostly on Princess).

With 50 years’ experience that is great for him.  We had 6 months experience with T1D for our child at that time and had something that worked for us in the middle of the night if we needed it.  It was worth getting the exception to bring it on as well as bring home what we didn't use.  Purpose of my post was to share an experience I had to the original poster to say if it makes you more comfortable, that yes it is possible.  

21 hours ago, Bodgy said:

Get yourself one of these.... they are cheap, easy to use and clean and work very well. My wife drinks protein twice a day and got this a year ago.

https://amzn.to/3HxoL2x

She used the ships tap water and had no problems with it

Before our cruise she scooped out enough protein powder for our 12 day cruise and put it in a zip lock bag which went into one of our checked pieces of luggage.... no issues 

Edited by Laszlo

On 1/26/2023 at 12:46 PM, RocketMan275 said:

NCL website says you can't bring on board unsealed food items.  I suspect a sealed can of protein powder or individual sealed powders would be fine.  Especially with a doctor's note but OP needs to verify with special needs.

Bodgy.  I'm familiar with this since I had bariatric surgery in 2020.  Hope it goes well with your husband.  As others have noted, water is plentiful on board.   BTW, have  you tried mixing the powders with milk?  Much better taste and extra protein from the milk.

thanks for the tips. We mix with Fairlife at home. He just had the sleeve surgery 3 months ago and this is our first international trip post surgery. 

Just now, Bodgy said:

thanks for the tips. We mix with Fairlife at home. He just had the sleeve surgery 3 months ago and this is our first international trip post surgery. 

I also used the Fairlife.  Works great.  Personal question.  How much has bubby lost?

I dropped from 290 to 200.  I've 35 back but that is common.  In fact, the dietician told me I needed to gain some back, she said my body fat was too low for a man of my age.  I'm working on getting back to 220 or so.