MSC Meraviglia NYC

3 hours ago, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:
    •  

•  

Hello -

Can anyone confirm that the Meraviglia sail's out of the Red Hook Cruise Terminal while docked in NYC and if so, any recommendations for an overnight stay at a hotel nearby in Brooklyn ? Thanks  

Yes, it will be sailing from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in Red Hook.

If you want to stay in Brooklyn the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge is the hotel most commonly recommended.

You also might consider staying in Manhattan in the Financial District. There's a ferry from Pier 11, Wall St. at the East River that goes directly to Red Hook, literally just a few steps from the cruise terminal.

If you're staying in NY City for more than just an one night prior to your cruise you should definitely stay in Manhattan.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

If you're staying in NY City for more than just an one night prior to your cruise you should definitely stay in Manhattan.

If you want to ride the tourist circuit, then saying in Manhattan may be more convenient for visiting standard sights therein. If not, then remaining in Brooklyn--especially if one has historic or cultural interest, familial connections, or simply desiring to avoid Manhattan specifically--can make more sense. Even if I were a tourist I would be especially attracted to the New York Transit Museum and the Center for Brooklyn History, both of which are located in the heart of Brooklyn Heights.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

If you want to ride the tourist circuit, then saying in Manhattan may be more convenient for visiting standard sights therein. If not, then remaining in Brooklyn--especially if one has historic or cultural interest, familial connections, or simply desiring to avoid Manhattan specifically--can make more sense. Even if I were a tourist I would be especially attracted to the New York Transit Museum and the Center for Brooklyn History, both of which are located in the heart of Brooklyn Heights.

While Brooklyn has some points of interest, it is simply does not compare with Manhattan (“…the tourist circuit…” whatever that is meant to mean) in offering points of interest: cultural, entertainment, gastronomic, historic — you name it.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:

I thanks everyone for their replies. One quick question. Is it faster / easier to fly into JFK or LaGuardia when sailing out of Brooklyn Cruise Terminal ? Thanks once again.

My vote living in Brooklyn would be JFK.

That's My Opinion.

1 hour ago, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:

I thanks everyone for their replies. One quick question. Is it faster / easier to fly into JFK or LaGuardia when sailing out of Brooklyn Cruise Terminal ? Thanks once again.

LGA is much closer than JFK...depending on route taken almost half the driving distance. But I wouldn't make that the primary deciding factor. Book your air based on price and convenience of the airline schedules. If those are about equal then book LGA to save a few dollars on taxi, car service or Uber fare as well as saving time. LGA has just undergone a massive renovation and is now a much improved airport.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 8:35 PM, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:

Is it faster / easier to fly into JFK or LaGuardia when sailing out of Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

No, it is not particularly faster or easier when coming from either airport. The differences are not that great. Other factors, such as airline fares and timetables, are likely to be better for decision-making.

12 hours ago, cruzlover said:

[T]here’s a great YouTube video that shows how close the ship is from the Red Hook ferry landing https://youtu.be/hcY8KcbUgN4

This is our first time cruising from Brooklyn so I hope it’s as easy as it looks.

Excellent video; it accurately portrays the ease of walking from the ferry terminal to the cruise terminal.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:39 PM, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:
    •  

•  

Hello -

Can anyone confirm that the Meraviglia sail's out of the Red Hook Cruise Terminal while docked in NYC and if so, any recommendations for an overnight stay at a hotel nearby in Brooklyn ? Thanks  

I’m intrigued with MSC as they have a multitude of opportunities for dancing in their daily activities schedule! Cruise ship prices seem reasonable too! Might give em a try next January.
20 nights cruises too!

Only concerned about smoking onboard as they had a reputation for being a very Smokey cruise line but hopefully it’s been changed ! Beautiful ship too!

On 2/4/2023 at 12:08 PM, cruzlover said:

We are staying in Manhattan and planning to walk to Pier 11. Also, there’s a great YouTube video that shows how close the ship is from the Red Hook ferry landing https://youtu.be/hcY8KcbUgN4

This is our first time cruising from Brooklyn so I hope it’s as easy as it looks 

032700CB-1D2A-4B82-B9F7-1F8F9F84E11A.jpeg

Is parking included at your hotel! Great for us driving down from NewEngland! Thanks 🙏 

On 2/11/2023 at 6:03 AM, cementhands said:

I’m intrigued with MSC as they have a multitude of opportunities for dancing in their daily activities schedule! Cruise ship prices seem reasonable too! Might give em a try next January.
20 nights cruises too!

Only concerned about smoking onboard as they had a reputation for being a very Smokey cruise line but hopefully it’s been changed ! Beautiful ship too!

I suggest you ask on the MSC board here.  "hoping" smoking has been cut back could be a good way to have a disappointing trip.  I'd also want to know if they have better systems in place since the Magnfic running aground around 10 years ago.  IIRC (and I could be wrong) they didn't necessarily have announcements in English back then.  I've never considered them (mostly for other reasons), but that would be a reason I would prefer other ships

• 3 weeks later...

How do you know which port the Meraveglia is sailing from? I can't find the info on the NYC cruise port websites. I'm sailing 4/29 and flying in from PHX so I'd prefer to fly into the closest airport. I thought I had read that New Jersey Cape Liberty would be the port so changed my flight to Newark. Thanks!

7 hours ago, KarenGretz said:

How do you know which port the Meraveglia is sailing from? I can't find the info on the NYC cruise port websites. I'm sailing 4/29 and flying in from PHX so I'd prefer to fly into the closest airport. I thought I had read that New Jersey Cape Liberty would be the port so changed my flight to Newark. Thanks!

New Jersey Cape Liberty is exclusive for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruises. other cruise lines do not use that port

They are lots of news articles saying the Meraviglia will be sailing out of Brooklyn:

https://www.amny.com/news/msc-cruises-will-run-year-round-out-of-brooklyn-generating-102-million-in-annual-revenue-adams-says/

https://www.cruisehive.com/msc-cruises-to-homeport-in-new-york-city-year-round/67303

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2022/12/29/why-this-cruise-line-is-betting-big-on-new-york-city/?sh=464635ed71d4

the Meraviglia will be sailing every Sunday just like the Norwegian Joy that docks in Manhattan cruise terminal. For these big ships there can usually only dock one ship at 88 as 90 is mostly used for the smaller mid size ships. the only alternative port for the Meraviglia will be the Brooklyn cruise terminal

The NYC cruise port website does not list the Meraviglia or all of other ships that dock in Brooklyn terminal for some odd reason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KarenGretz said:

MSC's press releases and other published articles have all stated that MSC will be using Brooklyn.  

There's no way they can cruise from Cape Liberty. As has been already noted, that cruise terminal is home to Royal Caribbean group ships, with just a rare occasional call by a ship from another line.

Can you switch your flight to LGA, which is closer to the Brooklyn terminal? You'll save both time and money on your ground transportation between the airport and the ship by flying into LGA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

MSC's press releases and other published articles have all stated that MSC will be using Brooklyn.  

There's no way they can cruise from Cape Liberty. As has been already noted, that cruise terminal is home to Royal Caribbean group ships, with just a rare occasional call by a ship from another line.

Can you switch your flight to LGA, which is closer to the Brooklyn terminal? You'll save both time and money on your ground transportation between the airport and the ship by flying into LGA.

I went ahead and move my flight back to JFK. The times and the fact that it's non-stop work best for me. Thank you for your help everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 9:03 AM, cementhands said:

20 nights cruises too!

It wasn't smoky when we cruised last month on her, but good luck getting food and drinks on it if you go.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:03 AM, cementhands said:

20 nights cruises too!

We were on the meraviglia pre COVID but in the US.  There were places on some halls/floors where we could smell smoke as if it was being pulled from a crew smoking area.  

more recently we were on the Divina and found that the area near the smoking/ciga room could be over powering as the room isn’t negative pressure and cigarettes were allow.  The other side of that courtyard area was a bit more tolerable but wasn’t always smoke free.  And, by tolerable I mean It didn’t trigger an asthma attack before quickly traversing the area.