voice over wifi

orangeglitter

8 minutes ago, orangeglitter said:

I traveled on Virgin voyages and Holland America last year and could receive calls over wifi on the ship. when i went on Carnival the calls are blocked. What does everyone else do for phone service on the ships? I am going on the Celebration in April.

Buy a tier that supports a program that works for calls 

16 minutes ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

Buy a tier that supports a program that works for calls 

on the sunshine i have the value plan. On my phone i use google voice to make calls over wifi. For my cruise i can send and receive text messages in google voice but the call itself could never connect

• Thanks 1

You should be able to do Facebook messenger calls, Facetime, maybe google voice, and probably even Skype and Zoom. The key is to be prepared with a few of these options as Carnival's wifi is very temperamental. Wifi calling with your cellular carrier is blocked and does not work on Carnival.

1 hour ago, orangeglitter said:

I traveled on Virgin voyages and Holland America last year and could receive calls over wifi on the ship. when i went on Carnival the calls are blocked. What does everyone else do for phone service on the ships? I am going on the Celebration in April.

Like others have said, WiFi calling is blocked on Carnival.  I'm not sure why it is not blocked on American Airlines when it is strictly against their rules. Skype was not blocked in February of 2022 on the Carnival Pride, but Carnival said it would not work. I had the highest tier and Skype Voice worked fine, as did FaceTime Audio.

Edited by nudistcruzer

17 hours ago, mz-s said:

You should be able to do Facebook messenger calls, Facetime, maybe google voice, and probably even Skype and Zoom. The key is to be prepared with a few of these options as Carnival's wifi is very temperamental. Wifi calling with your cellular carrier is blocked and does not work on Carnival.

My son was getting Facebook calls on our cruise back in 2021.

As noted, it doesn't have anything to do with the tier you purchase, or how well the wi-fi works.  It's blocked. 

With that said, tech stuff makes my eyes cross and I can't sort any of it out, but I think I read something about a VPN to get around it?

Like I said, most of it is mumbo jumbo to me lol, but that might be a possible solution.

7 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

With that said, tech stuff makes my eyes cross and I can't sort any of it out, but I think I read something about a VPN to get around it?

VPN is also a  hit and mess, sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.

5 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

As noted, it doesn't have anything to do with the tier you purchase, or how well the wi-fi works.  It's blocked. 

Like I said, most of it is mumbo jumbo to me lol, but that might be a possible solution.

Carnival also blocks VPNs. Although like all blocks they're not 100% effective so it is possible you can get it to work.