Be careful when you bid for an upgrade

Jfletch

I was stoked to find out that I had won my upgrade for $100 per person, but I was disappointed to see the room was no better. 

Instead of a regular balcony room, we got a “spacious” balcony room.

It looked exactly the same to me. Certainly not worth $200.

1 minute ago, DerekDun8 said:

I’m confused….

Don’t you control what rooms you bid on? 

The OP indicated that he bidded from regular balcony to spacious balcony. 
In fact, both types of cabins are the exact same size and configuration, with the only difference being a slightly larger balcony. So if someone is looking for a larger cabin than the regular version, this would not be the case. It's only the outside balcony portion that's slightly larger. In my mind, it's not worth the upgrade unless it is complimentary. Just my opinion 🙂 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Jfletch said:

I was stoked to find out that I had won my upgrade for $100 per person, but I was disappointed to see the room was no better. 

Did you read the descriptions of each of the rooms you could bid on before you bid?  And then look at deck plans to see what the 'worst case scenario' might be?   Some rooms are similiar but in a slightly higher category because of a better location on the ship, or an extra 15 square feet, so you probably don't want to bid on those.  Sorry you're disappointed, but lesson learned for next time.  I'm sure you'll still have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jfletch said:

Yeah, we just booked a "spacious balcony room" (booked it, didn't bid for an upgrade); the room is identical, but the balcony is about 50% larger ... it cost $140 more than a standard balcony.  

8 minutes ago, rockmom said:

And then look at deck plans to see what the 'worst case scenario' might be?

That's a good way to look at it.  Assume you'd get the worst possible room in your potential category ... and decide what you'd pay for it. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

Yes, one should read the RoyalUp descriptions carefully.  As I recall, the spacious balcony description on RoyalUp indicates that either the cabin interior Or the balcony might be larger.  

If I were in a balcony and happy with the location, I probably would not bid on the spacious balcony.  On the other hand if I am in an inside or OV cabin, I might bid a bit more for a spacious balcony compared to a regular balcony.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Oasis only has ONE size of balcony cabin.  Only the balcony can be larger.  i.e., there ARE no "larger" balcony cabins.

This is in response to DallasGuy's picture. 

The OP,  jfletch, was on the Navigator, where there ARE two sizes of balcony cabins.  Oldtimers will recognize those as "D" and "E" cabins.  😄 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jfletch said:

@Jfletch  Just curious: What was your booked cabin number, and what cabin did you sail in?

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The RoyalUp description for Ocean View with Large Balcony specifically says "Stateroom may be a larger balcony or larger room."Screenshot_20230131_211113_Chrome.thumb.jpg.20b1842212052aaecf1ea866289b5433.jpg

Also, I think the company that runs the Royal Up Program, doesn't use the correct photos a lot of the time.  That looks more like a junior suite based on the windows.  

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Oasis only has ONE size of balcony cabin.  Only the balcony can be larger.  i.e., there ARE no "larger" balcony cabins.

This is in response to DallasGuy's picture. 

The OP,  jfletch, was on the Navigator, where there ARE two sizes of balcony cabins.  Oldtimers will recognize those as "D" and "E" cabins.  😄 

Oasis or Allure has the super large balcony (not sure of the name)..like a JS but still in balcony category.  It requires minimum of 3 passengers.  So kinda yes, kinda no.

33 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Also, I think the company that runs the Royal Up Program, doesn't use the correct photos a lot of the time.  That looks more like a junior suite based on the windows.  

RoyalUp shows a different photo for JS.... maybe a sofa instead of a loveseat, plus the extra chair and curtain separating the bed from the seating area?  Otherwise doesn't look like much difference.

Screenshot_20230131_230721_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DallasGuy75219

7 hours ago, rockmom said:

Did you read the descriptions of each of the rooms you could bid on before you bid?  And then look at deck plans to see what the 'worst case scenario' might be?   Some rooms are similiar but in a slightly higher category because of a better location on the ship, or an extra 15 square feet, so you probably don't want to bid on those.  Sorry you're disappointed, but lesson learned for next time.  I'm sure you'll still have a great cruise. 

Yeah. It was totally my mistake. I didn’t read the descriptions carefully enough. I made this post so others can learn from my mistake. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jfletch said:

Yeah. It was totally my mistake. I didn’t read the descriptions carefully enough. I made this post so others can learn from my mistake. 

Thanks for sharing and stating that it was an oversight.  Many people would miss it unless they have it happen to them (like yourself) or read about it by CC members sharing their experiences.

The Royal Up program has had many threads discussing the "Thrill of Victory or the Agony of Defeat" (ABC Wide World of Sports Introduction, 1978).

On the positive side, you did get a better room that some people paid more by reserving it under your original booking. 😁

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo, darnitttttttt...

8 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

Oasis or Allure has the super large balcony (not sure of the name)..like a JS but still in balcony category.  It requires minimum of 3 passengers.  So kinda yes, kinda no.

I was on Allure in October and had the first balcony on the aft hump, which is somewhat larger than the standard balconies - just the two of us.  The cabins next to us were large enough to have a lounger(s). I'm. not sure about capacity requirements on those, but we have had the large hump balconies on other Royal ships with only my husband and myself.

6 hours ago, Jfletch said:

I made this exact same mistake last year and posted about it but guess you missed it. Sorry about that. I won't make that same mistake again, so lesson learned! Happy cruising! Cheers!