New to Cruising

JeannyJ

Hi!  Hubby and I are newbie cruisers and will be going to Alaska on the Volendam in July. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary while onboard and are nervous but excited. I have mobility issues and we were able to get ambulatory accessible stateroom EE3391, an ocean view, near the aft elevators. Our itinerary is round trip from Vancouver ... 12 - leave Van at 4pm, 13 - at sea on the inside passage, 14 (our anniversary) - Tracy Arm Inlet in am and then Juneau, 15 - Skagway, 16 - Glacier Bay, 17 - Ketchikan, 18 - inside passage, 19 - arrive Van. From reading posts I think I've figured out when the dressy nights will be (13 and 16), and that Volendam isn't talked about much. We got the HIA when we booked and I have the Navigator app and I think I've figured out how to find things there and on the site. However there are still things I can't figure out .... 1. our drink, and wifi, packages show on our booking confirmation but not in my account on the site or the app. DO I need our TA to fix this or will they just be there when we embark?    2. We've told our TA about our anniv and when it is but can't tell if she actually registered it with HAL. Is there something we can do now to let them know or should we just wait until we get there and tell our waiter in the MDR and our room steward? Also can we decorate our stateroom door?   I've found some nice magnets and white boards and I'd like to put our names on the door and something special on our big day.  3. We're on the list for a free upgrade (came with our HIA deal) but the lanai rooms are "sold out".  What does this mean for a potential upgrade?  Would they upgrade us to a suite or just a different/normal ocean view?  4. This isn't anything major but I've been looking at lanyards for our key cards and have found some with really nice card holders. Will it be better to just clip the card to the lanyard (if it has a hole) for easy use or would it work with a cardholder too?

I really wanted to renew our vows during our cruise but we couldn't afford the package, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to make it just as special without it. If they don't do anything on the ship we'll look for some place in Juneau to eat and enjoy the amazing scenery (it's a late departure), maybe order some flowers or something for the room from the gifts (or get our kids to send us some).  I can't wait to see the northern lights, some whales and escape the heat we'll be getting here at that point in July 😎

Sorry this got a little lengthy and for any tips and help you can give.

Edited by JeannyJ

1) Don't worry about it, but bring printouts just in case.

2) Don't worry about, but do mention it to those folks after you board.

3) Don't worry about it; if you get an upgrade that's great but hopefully you booked a room you'll be happy with anyway.

4) The keycards have holes but obviously work with cardholders as well.  I just keep mine in a pocket, but if you prefer a lanyard then either approach will work.

5) If there's any way for you to swing the cost of the vow renewal, I recommend you do it.  My wife and I did this on our tenth, and I know at the time it was a financial stretch.  But now I don't remember anything about the cost but we both clearly remember how special the event was.

6) Enjoy your cruise!  I think you're going to have the trip of a lifetime!

• Like 6

Congrats on taking your first cruise - you will quickly be hooked!  I've done 2 HAL cruises to Alaska, but both were roundtrip Seattle.  I can't answer all of your questions, but can answer a few.  For the wifi and drinks package for HIA, it won't show up anywhere other than your booking confirmation.  When you get your room key, the drink package will be loaded on to it so you can start using it right away (keep in mind the 15 drink limit per day, including non-alcoholic drinks).  As for the wifi, you will be able to sign on to the wifi on whatever device you want to use and activate your free wifi package on there.  You can then switch between devices if you want (i.e., from iPhone to iPad) because the wifi only works on one device per person at a time.

You should be fine decorating the door to your stateroom, as long as it is with magnets.  I've seen a handful of people do that on the cruises I've been on, and some go all out with it.

Make sure to pre-book your free dining included in the HIA now, so you get the time slots you want.  They tend to book up quickly, so you don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't work for your schedule.  Also, keep in mind that the dressy nights (former gala nights) tend to be on sea days and are never on the first or last night, so those are good nights to book specialty restaurants to make sure you don't miss out on the dressy nights because those menus tend to be more upscale.  You can start looking at previews of menus in the navigator app to get an idea of what will be on the menu during your cruise.

For Juneau, the only place I've ever eaten there is Tracy's Crab Shack, which had really good Alaskan king crab.  It's extremely casual though, so might not be what you're looking for.  Juneau is fairly small, so you may want to research restaurants ahead of time in case you want to make a reservation.  Try and make it up to Mendenhall glacier if you can, it's really beautiful.  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

1) Don't worry about it, but bring printouts just in case.

2) Don't worry about, but do mention it to those folks after you board.

3) Don't worry about it; if you get an upgrade that's great but hopefully you booked a room you'll be happy with anyway.

4) The keycards have holes but obviously work with cardholders as well.  I just keep mine in a pocket, but if you prefer a lanyard then either approach will work.

5) If there's any way for you to swing the cost of the vow renewal, I recommend you do it.  My wife and I did this on our tenth, and I know at the time it was a financial stretch.  But now I don't remember anything about the cost but we both clearly remember how special the event was.

6) Enjoy your cruise!  I think you're going to have the trip of a lifetime!

Thanks! And I will try to follow the theme of "don't worry" 😊   This is our first trip alone since our teenagers were born so if we can't find a way to do the renewal without the package we'll do it at home with the kids present. I am just looking forward to all that adult time! LOL

13 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

Congrats on taking your first cruise - you will quickly be hooked!  I've done 2 HAL cruises to Alaska, but both were roundtrip Seattle.  I can't answer all of your questions, but can answer a few.  For the wifi and drinks package for HIA, it won't show up anywhere other than your booking confirmation.  When you get your room key, the drink package will be loaded on to it so you can start using it right away (keep in mind the 15 drink limit per day, including non-alcoholic drinks).  As for the wifi, you will be able to sign on to the wifi on whatever device you want to use and activate your free wifi package on there.  You can then switch between devices if you want (i.e., from iPhone to iPad) because the wifi only works on one device per person at a time.

You should be fine decorating the door to your stateroom, as long as it is with magnets.  I've seen a handful of people do that on the cruises I've been on, and some go all out with it.

Make sure to pre-book your free dining included in the HIA now, so you get the time slots you want.  They tend to book up quickly, so you don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't work for your schedule.  Also, keep in mind that the dressy nights (former gala nights) tend to be on sea days and are never on the first or last night, so those are good nights to book specialty restaurants to make sure you don't miss out on the dressy nights because those menus tend to be more upscale.  You can start looking at previews of menus in the navigator app to get an idea of what will be on the menu during your cruise.

For Juneau, the only place I've ever eaten there is Tracy's Crab Shack, which had really good Alaskan king crab.  It's extremely casual though, so might not be what you're looking for.  Juneau is fairly small, so you may want to research restaurants ahead of time in case you want to make a reservation.  Try and make it up to Mendenhall glacier if you can, it's really beautiful.  Enjoy your trip!

Thank you! I am starting to relax more about these ?? and will stop obsessing about the trip (that'll make my hubby happy LOL). It can be really hard to find the answers you need on these boards and you've helped a lot!

Congratulations. Your enthusiasm about a first cruise is contagious

You probably won't be seeing Northern Lights in July, but you will see The Midnight Sun. One tip is to bring clothes pin if you want to seal the curtains shut and block out the long daylight hours that time of the year. Easy rising and late setting sun has its own special light, and makes each cruise day feel a lot longer to be about and active than in the Lower 48.

Door decorations are discouraged- fire hazards, but simply flat ones are usually ignored.

Hope you do get treated with on-board flower arrangements since they do a beautiful job with fresh flowers on HAL ships.  They can be ordered online ahead of time and waiting in your cabin when you sail away, or reserved to be delivered your special day. They are so pretty and do last, so I'd  personally recommend getting them for the start of your cruise.

Volendam is one of our favorite HAL ships with a lovely main dining rooms and nice sized cabins. Much easier to navigate and not get lost, or always the rookie mistake get totally turned around when trying to find your way back to your cabin.

We still do this so have some good laughs if you feel turned upside down for the first few day until you get the feel of the ship and where the clues are to turn right or left.

We always pick out some asymmetric visual feature in the various elevator lobbies, so we know which corridor to use to get to our cabin. Right or left, stairs up or stairs down, , odd or even cabin numbers, forward or aft, port or starboard. Studying the deck plan ahead of time always pays off.

Smaller, older and fairly low key if you have looked at too many lavish cruise ship ads. This is one of Hal's more traditional ships.  But Alaska itself is the star performer. One of our favorite areas for repeat cruising - we nerf tire of the sheer awesomeness of the scenery, fresh air and accessible ports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

you will see The Midnight Sun

On the OP's cruise in July the furthest city north will be Skagway.  Sunset on July 15-16 will be about 10pm so the Midnight sun won't be seen.  The best place in Alaska to see it is much further north in Fairbanks.  There will be a nice long day of daylight though!

Sunrise and sunset times in Skagway, July 2023 (timeanddate.com)

Your Alaska cruise will be wonderful.  Relax and enjoy!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

Just off the Circle Hawaii cruise.  I always carry a hole punch to make a round hole instead of the pre punched “slit”. This time there was not hole in the card so I did one.  Later the card would not open the door.  Went to desks and was told it was because there is a hole in it.  Hole had nothing to do with the bar code on it.  Go figure.  

• Haha 1

I see you joined your Roll Call for your voyage.  Those boards will start to pick up in the spring so keep checking back.  Just to let you know you are not going to see the Northern Lights up here in July.  If you were coming for the Northern Lights you would travel to the icebox (Fairbanks) in the winter to get the best opportunity.  Enjoy your cruise and Happy Anniversary.  You will love it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, highscar said:

Just off the Circle Hawaii cruise.  I always carry a hole punch to make a round hole instead of the pre punched “slit”. This time there was not hole in the card so I did one.  Later the card would not open the door.  Went to desks and was told it was because there is a hole in it.  Hole had nothing to do with the bar code on it.  Go figure.  

The new electronic key cards cannot be punched, alas. People were wearing them on lanyards with a plastic pouch that held the intact card. I always used to wear the older "punched card" on a wrist coil.

No more, if they are the newer ship cards. Does this hold for the older ships now too?

15 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

If they don't do anything on the ship we'll look for some place in Juneau to eat and enjoy the amazing scenery (it's a late departure), maybe order some flowers or something for the room from the gifts (or get our kids to send us some).  I can't wait to see the northern lights, some whales and escape the heat we'll be getting here at that point in July 😎

Juneau is the place to book a whale-watching excursion; there is a resident "pod" that reliably put on a show! Never saw the northern lights on (any of our three) AK cruises, in summer months, but the best ones I ever did see were on the Fourth of July in the Adirondacks, so anything could happen!

Recommend choosing the flowers ahead of time on the website and having them delivered (or waiting for you) on your first day. The kids can repay you! They will last your whole cruise (parts of our arrangement lasted the full 16-day recent B2B over our anniversary). Just remember to top up the water.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

but the best ones I ever did see were on the Fourth of July in the Adirondacks, so anything could happen!

I've only seen them 2 times, both were in summer in Wisconsin! Although they are visible here sometimes in winter, I'm not usually out and about at night in winter🥶

1 hour ago, vicd1969 said:

Isn't it possible for the OP to see the Northern Lights in her hometown of Saskatoon (or at least in Saskatchewan)?  

We have to leave the city lights behind but can usually get a good light show in the winter (usually on the colder nights). The farther north you go the better the chances. I was hoping they'd be visible in the summer up in Alaska too but that's ok. Really long days are a novelty so we'll enjoy those for sure!

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Juneau is the place to book a whale-watching excursion; there is a resident "pod" that reliably put on a show! Never saw the northern lights on (any of our three) AK cruises, in summer months, but the best ones I ever did see were on the Fourth of July in the Adirondacks, so anything could happen!

Recommend choosing the flowers ahead of time on the website and having them delivered (or waiting for you) on your first day. The kids can repay you! They will last your whole cruise (parts of our arrangement lasted the full 16-day recent B2B over our anniversary). Just remember to top up the water.

Thanks for the tip on the flowers, I will for sure get those ordered to be there when we embark. If they are still nice would I be able to take a bloom or 2 with us when we leave or should I just leave them?  

I've never seen whales in person but the ones listed in the excursions are too expensive for us. So hopefully I can find a local one that's more affordable or they will be active on our days at sea.

7 minutes ago, JeannyJ said:

Thanks for the tip on the flowers, I will for sure get those ordered to be there when we embark. If they are still nice would I be able to take a bloom or 2 with us when we leave or should I just leave them?  

I've never seen whales in person but the ones listed in the excursions are too expensive for us. So hopefully I can find a local one that's more affordable or they will be active on our days at sea.

Re flowers: The bowl or vase is not included in the price (although it should be!), whether 'live' blooms can be taken ashore depends on the port... it may be forbidden. I remember reading that HAL had to destroy the orchid plants from the dining areas when they were depleted, because of agricultural laws.

I suggest finding the money for the whale watching excursion. Call it an anniversary celebration. Skagway and Ketchikan are actually quite good to do on foot. You can look into private boat trips in Juneau, but all of Alaska is faced with making a year's salary in a few summer months...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Congratulations. Your enthusiasm about a first cruise is contagious

You probably won't be seeing Northern Lights in July, but you will see The Midnight Sun. One tip is to bring clothes pin if you want to seal the curtains shut and block out the long daylight hours that time of the year. Easy rising and late setting sun has its own special light, and makes each cruise day feel a lot longer to be about and active than in the Lower 48.

Door decorations are discouraged- fire hazards, but simply flat ones are usually ignored.

Hope you do get treated with on-board flower arrangements since they do a beautiful job with fresh flowers on HAL ships.  They can be ordered online ahead of time and waiting in your cabin when you sail away, or reserved to be delivered your special day. They are so pretty and do last, so I'd  personally recommend getting them for the start of your cruise.

Volendam is one of our favorite HAL ships with a lovely main dining rooms and nice sized cabins. Much easier to navigate and not get lost, or always the rookie mistake get totally turned around when trying to find your way back to your cabin.

We still do this so have some good laughs if you feel turned upside down for the first few day until you get the feel of the ship and where the clues are to turn right or left.

We always pick out some asymmetric visual feature in the various elevator lobbies, so we know which corridor to use to get to our cabin. Right or left, stairs up or stairs down, , odd or even cabin numbers, forward or aft, port or starboard. Studying the deck plan ahead of time always pays off.

Smaller, older and fairly low key if you have looked at too many lavish cruise ship ads. This is one of Hal's more traditional ships.  But Alaska itself is the star performer. One of our favorite areas for repeat cruising - we nerf tire of the sheer awesomeness of the scenery, fresh air and accessible ports.

I'm looking forward to having the smaller and less energetic (not sure about quiet due to where our room is ... earplugs are on the list!) for our first cruise, and passengers more our age than being surrounded by the constant go of kids and young adults/teens. This way when I get lost on the ship (should happen at least once .. I'm awful with directions LOL) I won't get teased too much 😀

Our door will be very simple and not overwhelming like some doors I've seen. I'm thinking icebergs with our names and on the day a really simple white board with our wedding date and anniversary on it. The fuss will be in the cabin where only we can see it.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Volendam it really isn't getting much love on the boards. I love looking at pics of it and daydreaming about hanging out in the Crow's Nest and on the Lido Deck, and eating in the beautiful MDR. We're on the Lower Promenade so I'm hoping to catch a sunset or sunrise on the deck outside our room.

21 minutes ago, JeannyJ said:

Thank you for sharing your experience on Volendam it really isn't getting much love on the boards. I love looking at pics of it and daydreaming about hanging out in the Crow's Nest and on the Lido Deck, and eating in the beautiful MDR. We're on the Lower Promenade so I'm hoping to catch a sunset or sunrise on the deck outside our room.

The Volendam is a fine ship for Alaska. Of our three AK cruises, one was Volendam, another sister ship Zaandam, and the first was the even smaller, since-retired Statendam. Both the Volendam and the Zaandam, we had partially-obstructed cabins on the Lower Promenade -- steps away from the biggest balcony on the ship!

ETA: forgot to say, we are booked for a 24-day cruise on the Volendam (to Iceland/Greenland et al) in 2024! We will be on the Lower Promenade again!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

We have to leave the city lights behind but can usually get a good light show in the winter (usually on the colder nights). The farther north you go the better the chances. I was hoping they'd be visible in the summer up in Alaska too but that's ok. Really long days are a novelty so we'll enjoy those for sure!

That's not how this works | Know Your Meme

2 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Re flowers: The bowl or vase is not included in the price (although it should be!), whether 'live' blooms can be taken ashore depends on the port... it may be forbidden. I remember reading that HAL had to destroy the orchid plants from the dining areas when they were depleted, because of agricultural laws.

I suggest finding the money for the whale watching excursion. Call it an anniversary celebration. Skagway and Ketchikan are actually quite good to do on foot. You can look into private boat trips in Juneau, but all of Alaska is faced with making a year's salary in a few summer months...

I agree about whale watching. If there's one splurge to do on an Alaska cruise, I think whale watching is it. I have done 4 Alaska cruises, and I don't recall ever seeing whales from the ship. You can get good information about whale watching on the port of call boards. I wouldn't count on finding something less expensive on the day. If there are multiple ships in Juneau, everyone is booked up.

I also agree about Skagway and Ketchikan. If you're concerned about the cost of excursions, those are ports where you can wander around town. Sometimes there's good eagle spotting in the trees around Ketchikan. The train in Skagway is a great trip, but if I had to choose between the train and the whales, I'd definitely choose whales.

• Like 3

Pack a small supply bag to maximize space and comfort. Just a few things we always carry:

A few very strong magnets (with hooks if possible) you can hang things on metal walls. (Hats, coats, clothes, schedules, etc)

Roll of string - never know if you need to tie up something

A couple of bungie cords (for hanging or holding things in place like medications, books, etc on shelf)

Roll of clear packing tape ( wider than regular clear tape)....the HVAC vent may be blowing directly on you in bed, usually a 4 way vent so we tape the side facing bed to redirect. Still has air flow. Our sinuses appreciate it. (Just remove the tape when you leave)

Small vice grips (like industrial clothes pins) to hold/hang things. 

• Like 1

When we went to Alaska we did a lot of sightseeing around the ports.  we had a great time.  there is so much to see.  Lot is free too. I hope that my links still work.  I read some books on Alaska and it gave me some background on what I was going to see there.

SKAGWAY  https://www.skagway.com/

SKAGWAY MUSEUM

http://www.skagway.org/museum

Red Onion Brothel

http://redonion1898.com/brothel-museum-tours/

Jewell Gardens

http://www.jewellgardens.com/

Walking Tour (free)

http://www.alaska.org/guide/skagway-walking-tour-non-audio

Soopy smith

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/soapy-smith-killed-in-skagway-alaska

Ketchikan  https://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

https://www.visit-ketchikan.com/Things-To-Do/Attractions

http://tourketchikan.com/listing/ton...orical-museum/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/en/Th...and-Historical

Creek Street

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/c...ketchikan.html

Dolly's House (Famous Brothel)

http://creekstreetketchikan.com/dollys-house/

funicular (cable railway

http://youralaskacruise.com/reviews/...ular-1320.html

http://www.explorenorth.com/alaska/i...ular-1168.html 

https://www.visit-ketchikan.com/en/Things-To-Do/Attractions/Museums-and-Historical 

Juneau

ALASKA STATE MUSEUM

https://museums.alaska.gov/asm/asmhome.html

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Mount Roberts Tramway.

https://www.travelalaska.com/offers/GoldbeltMountRobertsTramway

Governor's Mansion

716 Calhoun Ave,

Juneau,

AK 99801-1617

+1 907-465-3500

LAST CHANCE MINING MUSEUM

https://www.alaska.org/detail/last-chance-mining-museum

https://www.travelalaska.com/Destinations/Communities/Juneau.aspx

I also read some books about the gold rush before my trip.

Klondike Fever by Pierre Berton

Good Time Girls of the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush: Secret History of the Far North

By lael Morgan

Gold Rush Women

by Claire Rudolf Murphy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

When we went to Alaska we did a lot of sightseeing around the ports.  we had a great time.  there is so much to see.  Lot is free too. I hope that my links still work.  I read some books on Alaska and it gave me some background on what I was going to see there.

SKAGWAY  https://www.skagway.com/

SKAGWAY MUSEUM

http://www.skagway.org/museum

Red Onion Brothel

http://redonion1898.com/brothel-museum-tours/

Jewell Gardens

http://www.jewellgardens.com/

Walking Tour (free)

http://www.alaska.org/guide/skagway-walking-tour-non-audio

Soopy smith

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/soapy-smith-killed-in-skagway-alaska

Ketchikan  https://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

https://www.visit-ketchikan.com/Things-To-Do/Attractions

http://tourketchikan.com/listing/ton...orical-museum/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/en/Th...and-Historical

Creek Street

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/c...ketchikan.html

Dolly's House (Famous Brothel)

http://creekstreetketchikan.com/dollys-house/

funicular (cable railway

http://youralaskacruise.com/reviews/...ular-1320.html

http://www.explorenorth.com/alaska/i...ular-1168.html 

https://www.visit-ketchikan.com/en/Things-To-Do/Attractions/Museums-and-Historical 

Juneau

ALASKA STATE MUSEUM

https://museums.alaska.gov/asm/asmhome.html

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Mount Roberts Tramway.

https://www.travelalaska.com/offers/GoldbeltMountRobertsTramway

Governor's Mansion

716 Calhoun Ave,

Juneau,

AK 99801-1617

+1 907-465-3500

LAST CHANCE MINING MUSEUM

https://www.alaska.org/detail/last-chance-mining-museum

https://www.travelalaska.com/Destinations/Communities/Juneau.aspx

I also read some books about the gold rush before my trip.

Klondike Fever by Pierre Berton

Good Time Girls of the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush: Secret History of the Far North

By lael Morgan

Gold Rush Women

by Claire Rudolf Murphy.

Thanks for the links and book suggestions! I love to research the places we travel to so this will keep me busy and possibly help with finding affordable things to do. I know that we're planning on staying onboard on either the Skagway or Ketchikan days but even a half day on land would be cool 😊

2 hours ago, REOVA said:

Pack a small supply bag to maximize space and comfort. Just a few things we always carry:

A few very strong magnets (with hooks if possible) you can hang things on metal walls. (Hats, coats, clothes, schedules, etc)

Roll of string - never know if you need to tie up something

A couple of bungie cords (for hanging or holding things in place like medications, books, etc on shelf)

Roll of clear packing tape ( wider than regular clear tape)....the HVAC vent may be blowing directly on you in bed, usually a 4 way vent so we tape the side facing bed to redirect. Still has air flow. Our sinuses appreciate it. (Just remove the tape when you leave)

Small vice grips (like industrial clothes pins) to hold/hang things. 

Some unique ideas! We were already planning on the magnetic hooks of different sizes, colored post it notes, folding baskets or bags to keep things confined in and a clip for the curtains. But I love the bungie cords too as they can come in handy with a suitcase that won't close too. And the packing tape for the vents, I also saw a suggestion somewhere to tape a towel over vents to help with noise control. I'm learning a lot here!

3 minutes ago, JeannyJ said:

I know that we're planning on staying onboard on either the Skagway or Ketchikan days but even a half day on land would be cool 😊

Oh, don't stay on board! Creek Street in Ketchikan is a short if steep walk above the docks, and all of Skagway-town is on a level from the port. (There may even be little shuttles.) Better to experience something of the towns! 

• Like 3