Gratuity breakdown?

audcc77

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

I have a problem with this lately also. Gratuity for my cruise last month was 23% of the fare. Service just did not achieve the standard that I would expect for 23%. Socks and Underwear left in the cabin from the previous cruise. Slow service at dinner and never delivering the coffee I ordered, just not a 23% standard. I know this is due to pressure Carnival is putting on them to do too much, but still. 

Is a percentage of the fare a fair way to look at Gratuities?

Last year I was on a 5-day cruise where the fare was $65.  The gratuities were over 100% of my fare.   

I suppose you think that if you go to Las Vegas and get free drinks while playing the slots, you shouldn't tip at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Last year I was on a 5-day cruise where the fare was $65.  The gratuities were over 100% of my fare.   

I suppose you think that if you go to Las Vegas and get free drinks while playing the slots, you shouldn't tip at all.

No, it isn't. Port taxes and fees aren't related to cabin price or class, either. Everyone pays the same.

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Well typically people tip at restaurants as a percentage of the bill so this has precedent.

3 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

mz-s, I'm not understanding your laugh response.  Does this mean you don't tip hotel housekeeping, find it amusing to do so?  I'm sorry if I'm being dense, please enlighten me.

I absolutely do not tip at for example a Holiday Inn Express. If you do, more power to you.

I did not initially respond beyond my laugh because I don't want this thread to get deleted for spiraling into a tipping debate.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mz-s said:

I absolutely do not tip at for example a Holiday Inn Express. If you do, more power to you.

I did not initially respond beyond my laugh because I don't want this thread to get deleted for spiraling into a tipping debate.

OK, thank you for the response.  I'll refrain from further discussing hotel tipping here to keep it on topic.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

And you should not. That is a full time paid employee making a minimum 13 an hour in my state and they are not even cleaning the rooms anymore until checkout unless requested.  Tipping culture is out of control in our country. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Well typically people tip at restaurants as a percentage of the bill so this has precedent.

As a general rule, I do the same, but when I get a discount (such as a Happy Hour or using a coupon), I tip based on what would have been the regular price. 

If your tips are 23% of your cruise fare, at the current gratuities rate that is $70 per day.  That's $490 for a 7-day cruise.  Seven nights of hotel, 21+ meals, snacks, entertainment, and transportation to ports.   How much do you think is appropriate?

To be honest, I do think tips have gotten out of control on land, but I feel fortunate that I can afford a nice meal, and those couple of extra dollars will mean more to the person getting them than they do to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, asalligo said:

And you should not. That is a full time paid employee making a minimum 13 an hour in my state and they are not even cleaning the rooms anymore until checkout unless requested.  Tipping culture is out of control in our country. 

They are cleaning more thoroughly and people are no less of a pig. People who don't like tipping don't need to make up excuses for not doing so.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I never said that was my practice. You're reaching here, Blerk.

My mistake. I assumed you were a typical person, as per your statement "Well typically people tip at restaurants as a percentage of the bill so this has precedent." Not sure who you were speaking for, then.

17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

My mistake. I assumed you were a typical person, as per your statement "Well typically people tip at restaurants as a percentage of the bill so this has precedent." Not sure who you were speaking for, then.

No my momma says typical is as typical does.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

You know, you can still do this.  Leave your auto-grats in place and in addition, give out envelopes of cash on the last evening to those special crew members that make your cruise great.😉

That's what I do.  I let them know as I hand them an envelope that "this is in addition to my prepaid gratuities". 👍

• Like 6

18 hours ago, mz-s said:

I'll gladly sign an affidavit or bring a notarized promissory saying I promise I'll tip in cash if I don't have to stand in line at guest services the last night...

People would still need to tip the exact same amount as the daily pre paid gratuity charge IN CASH to whoever they wanted to tip in cash to.  Anything lower than that means they would be getting LESS from them for a reward of their hard work and service during their cruise since anything they get IN CASH from them has to be split as it normally would be with Pre Paid Gratuities.  Restaurants that charge a min gratuity are doing the same by splitting it among all staff that worked to provide people a great meal and evening out not just the waiter who smiled at them. Thinking they are just going to keep what people give them to themselves is skewed thinking as no one would risk their job just to make others feel good with themselves.  

So just curious, we just got back from our first cruise since covid on MG (7 night).  We prepaid our gratuities with our final payment prior to sailing.  We usually give additional for room steward for the extra work the they do.  However, never saw anything on our sail and sign account where gratuity were aded and marked as prepaid.  Is that the way they are done now?  I thought previously they showed on your account and then marked as paid.  Anyone help clear this up for me?

47 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

So just curious, we just got back from our first cruise since covid on MG (7 night).  We prepaid our gratuities with our final payment prior to sailing.  We usually give additional for room steward for the extra work the they do.  However, never saw anything on our sail and sign account where gratuity were aded and marked as prepaid.  Is that the way they are done now?  I thought previously they showed on your account and then marked as paid.  Anyone help clear this up for me?

I looked at my print out for my Sign and Sail from my Magic Jan 14, 2023 cruise.  I paid my gratuities ahead of time and there is no indication of this on my print out.

• Thanks 1

Do the room stewards, dining room waiters, etc. know if you've prepaid your gratuities?  I always do it that way, and tip a little extra in cash on the last day. I would to hate to think that they're feeling shortchanged.

44 minutes ago, kalmich said:

Do the room stewards, dining room waiters, etc. know if you've prepaid your gratuities?  I always do it that way, and tip a little extra in cash on the last day. I would to hate to think that they're feeling shortchanged.

In a case like that, I would mention to the person that I am tipping that this is a little extra in addition to the standard gratuities.  That way it is clear.

I wish Auto Gratuities were not needed but I am for MANDATORY gratuities. The reason is this, I work for Spark Delivery service(walmart Delivery) I see an offer for lets say 17 dollars for 7 miles.  I get to the store, they load my car up, and I take the groceryies to them.  24 hours later I discover the Gratuity was removed becuse they put the gratuity high so they could get fast service otherwise most drivers would have rejected the $7 order becuse there was no tip.  You got to remeber I am paying for my own Gas and Vehichal Matinince too. That is why I am for Manadtory Gratuities becuse people remove tips, or don't give tips becuse they are tightwads.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jedi bobs said:

I wish Auto Gratuities were not needed but I am for MANDATORY gratuities. The reason is this, I work for Spark Delivery service(walmart Delivery) I see an offer for lets say 17 dollars for 7 miles.  I get to the store, they load my car up, and I take the groceryies to them.  24 hours later I discover the Gratuity was removed becuse they put the gratuity high so they could get fast service otherwise most drivers would have rejected the $7 order becuse there was no tip.  You got to remeber I am paying for my own Gas and Vehichal Matinince too. That is why I am for Manadtory Gratuities becuse people remove tips, or don't give tips becuse they are tightwads.

A mandatory gratuity isn't a gratuity, it's a service charge or a tax. And those have to be disclosed in the booking process (like the port fees and taxes) which makes the cruise more expensive, so that's why these things are broken out as optional gratuities in the cruise industry with most lines.

• Like 1