Gratuity breakdown?

audcc77

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

A mandatory gratuity isn't a gratuity, it's a service charge or a tax. And those have to be disclosed in the booking process (like the port fees and taxes) which makes the cruise more expensive, so that's why these things are broken out as optional gratuities in the cruise industry with most lines.

How do you propose to stop the idiots who refuse to tip, or remove gratuities for no reason other then they are tight wads? I'm not talking about having a good reason to remove gratuities but the idiots who are tightwads?

• Like 2

Just now, jedi bobs said:

How do you propose to stop the idiots who refuse to tip, or remove gratuities for no reason other then they are tight wads? I'm not talking about having a good reason to remove gratuities but the idiots who are tightwads?

There is no solution to it, it's just a weakness in the system. There are always going to be people like that and it's just how it is.

The solution is to move to a model like Virgin Voyages where there is no need to tip or pay gratuities at all.

• Like 3

Guest BasicSailor

It actually breaks down into more money for Carnival. If they're not interested in providing information as to how it's broken down.

11 hours ago, kalmich said:

Do the room stewards, dining room waiters, etc. know if you've prepaid your gratuities?  I always do it that way, and tip a little extra in cash on the last day. I would to hate to think that they're feeling shortchanged.

I believe it's possible, if not likely, that they know if you didn't prepay your gratuities (I think a list is published but I'm not sure). They also know if you remove them because they supervisors will be questioning them to find out why their customer thought the service was so bad that they had to remove the gratuities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

It actually breaks down into more money for Carnival. If they're not interested in providing information as to how it's broken down.

Actually, if Carnival were pocketing any of it they would need to disclose that on their financial statements. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

That's one of the drawbacks of working for tips, there will be people who won't tip. I don't know how it works out for delivery drivers but I know for hospitality workers it generally averages out for them, probably because tipping is so ingrained in our society and most people comply. I would suspect that a lot of people don't even know how delivery drivers are paid and probably just assume they are salaried.

10 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

The same way we handle the rest of the leeches of society. We don't. We defend them with "you don't know their situation," and let it get worse.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mz-s said:

A mandatory gratuity isn't a gratuity, it's a service charge or a tax. And those have to be disclosed in the booking process (like the port fees and taxes) which makes the cruise more expensive, so that's why these things are broken out as optional gratuities in the cruise industry with most lines.

Yes, DSC, discretionary service charges, though you do hope the "tips by another name" do go to the employees. I actually do like it better than having to have the right bills and filling envelopes.

49 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

The same way we handle the rest of the leeches of society. We don't. We defend them with "you don't know their situation," and let it get worse.

Or we just focus on our own actions and just ignore them, since we can't control what they do. (We could use peer pressure to try to influence them but I don't think we're allowed to do that any more, it would be called virtue shaming or some such.)

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Actually, if Carnival were pocketing any of it they would need to disclose that on their financial statements. 

You mean like they were exposed for dumping waste into the ocean.

14 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

You mean like they were exposed for dumping waste into the ocean.

I don't see what that has to do with financial reports that are routinely audited. I don't know about anyone else, but if I seriously thought that a company was stiffing its tipped employees I wouldn't do business with them.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
Just now, sparks1093 said:

I don't see what that has to do with financial reports that are routinely audited.

Being honest with your reports provides honesty in all reporting. Do you See now?

7 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Being honest with your reports provides honesty in all reporting. Do you See now?

I wasn't aware that there were reports on waste disposal, but if there are they are likely done aboard the ships and not by corporate and not by trained accountants and lawyers.

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I wasn't aware that there were reports on waste disposal, but if there are they are likely done aboard the ships and not by corporate and not by trained accountants and lawyers.

And God said, let there be light!

Your honor ,I rest my case 🤣

Edited by BasicSailor

16 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So just curious, we just got back from our first cruise since covid on MG (7 night).  We prepaid our gratuities with our final payment prior to sailing.  We usually give additional for room steward for the extra work the they do.  However, never saw anything on our sail and sign account where gratuity were aded and marked as prepaid.  Is that the way they are done now?  I thought previously they showed on your account and then marked as paid.  Anyone help clear this up for me?

I've never seen it done that way and I always prepay my grats.

I say hello to our cabin steward $20 on day one while introducing ourselves and letting him/her know of any special needs, like ice.

IMO, I don't really care how they tell you they're distributing tips, I believe they're pooling them. All stews are pooled, the bars and drink waiters are pooled, spa is pooled, etc...

Room stew is the most hands on and hand in, my stuff. I am nice to them up front.

I have also never had an issue that wasn't resolved swiftly, day or night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EngIceDave said:

One more thing on tipping...

If you don't give me a receipt, you don't get a tip.

I don't drink alcohol, but I get a Pepsi or water bottle, and many times they don't give me a receipt, and if I don't get a receipt, I have no way to tip

When I attend the P&D reunion party, I bring a fistful of dollars (sorry, just had to say that🤣) so I can tip the waiters that are delivering me a drink.  No receipt given.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I looked at my print out for my Sign and Sail from my Magic Jan 14, 2023 cruise.  I paid my gratuities ahead of time and there is no indication of this on my print out.

Well I hope the money was allocated correctly to the right area.  On another note, we had prepaid for a specialty restaurant and they included the gratuity at that time (which was back in October of 2022).  When onboard the ship it only showed  us paying for the meal itself and no gratuity, so we added additional amount on our sail & sign account.  When returning home and pulling my receipt I found we had indeed paid the tip amount, so I have sent an inquiry as to where did that money go?  Guess that is why I started to ? about the auto gratuities we also prepaid that didn't show up on our account.  But glad to hear that it might just be the way they are handling  it now.  

18 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

When I attend the P&D reunion party, I bring a fistful of dollars (sorry, just had to say that🤣) so I can tip the waiters that are delivering me a drink.  No receipt given.

I am still but a lowly gold, Sire. I know nothing of these "P&D" things of which you speak.

*sigh*

4 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Well I hope the money was allocated correctly to the right area.  On another note, we had prepaid for a specialty restaurant and they included the gratuity at that time (which was back in October of 2022).  When onboard the ship it only showed  us paying for the meal itself and no gratuity, so we added additional amount on our sail & sign account.  When returning home and pulling my receipt I found we had indeed paid the tip amount, so I have sent an inquiry as to where did that money go?  Guess that is why I started to ? about the auto gratuities we also prepaid that didn't show up on our account.  But glad to hear that it might just be the way they are handling  it now.  

I do see my prepaid gratuities in the breakdown of Itemized Charges that I print out before my cruise.  I like having paper backup in case their records don't reflect what I have purchased ahead of time (specialty dining, excursions, prepaid gratuities, etc) as well as the room (balcony, inside, spa room) so I have proof.  Makes me feel prepared for any glitches.👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

For a few dollars more, they will keep coming! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Just attended my 1st P&D party on Mardi Gras last week. They had all drinks lined up outside the entrance and handed you a glass of your choice(beer, wine, or rum punch). I did sit towards the back and was able to walk out and get another drink. And then when the little dog & pony show was over, they were handing out everything that was leftover on the way out. 

• Like 1