A Royal Up Redo!

RCCL Fan

Got one of those dreaded calls today from fraud prevention at my credit card company.    Nope,  I was not charging $700 at a Walmart in Missouri.   

So that card is shut off and a new one will be here soon.

BUT, I used that credit card to put on file for one Royal Up bid.

I went to my confirmation email, and click the button to modify.   It lets me modify the price, but not change the card that will be charged.

Called RCI  and they had no idea what to do. 

Anyone run into this before?

You have a couple choices.  You could leave the old card number.  If you win, the charge will fail.  Others on CC have said plusgrade gave them a chance to fix the charge issue. Personally, if I really wanted the upgrade I wouldn’t trust that plusgrade would wait, but some might take that gamble.

Your other choice is to cancel all the old bids and enter new ones with a new card number.  The only risk here is that plusgrade may have raised the minimum bids in the interim.  Or dropped them, but sorry to say your luck does not seem to be going that way today.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Interesting conundrum.  Are you able to call and see what the upgrade prices are?  If the price is favorable, upgrade and then cancel Royal Up.

The OP can just check pricing on the RCI website. The OP should cancel the bid and place a new bid with a valid card. 

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

Got one of those dreaded calls today from fraud prevention at my credit card company.    Nope,  I was not charging $700 at a Walmart in Missouri.   

So that card is shut off and a new one will be here soon.

BUT, I used that credit card to put on file for one Royal Up bid.

I went to my confirmation email, and click the button to modify.   It lets me modify the price, but not change the card that will be charged.

Called RCI  and they had no idea what to do. 

Anyone run into this before?

yes!  I actually got my notice email that i had won my royal up bid less than 30 min after i got off the phone canceling my card that had fraudulent charges.  I almost immediately got another email stating the card on file was declined.  There was a link to click and re enter another card.  Thank god the offer was till good & I ended up getting the upgrade.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

Interesting conundrum.  Are you able to call and see what the upgrade prices are?  If the price is favorable, upgrade and then cancel Royal Up.

The upgrade price is the difference between what you paid and what the current price is on the website.  No need to call. 

• Like 1

Ran into the same problem - they will send you a mail stating they were not able to charge your CC and add a link to modify - but that link will not work!😱

Spend 3 days on the phone trying to get help from RCCL or else.....no way to get help!

What saved me was an "upgrade sale" that would let you start over the bidding process...

So it looks like you will most likely not be able to get a royal up but a royal f-up

Edited by cruiseboy89130

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Ran into the same problem - they will send you a mail stating they were not able to charge your CC and add a link to modify - but that link will not work!😱

Spend 3 days on the phone trying to get help from RCCL or else.....no way to get help!

What saved me was an "upgrade sale" that would let you start over the bidding process...

So it looks like you will most likely not be able to get a royal up but a royal f-up

Doesn’t always seem that way. Sounds 50/50 if your bid wins. 

9 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

yes!  I actually got my notice email that i had won my royal up bid less than 30 min after i got off the phone canceling my card that had fraudulent charges.  I almost immediately got another email stating the card on file was declined.  There was a link to click and re enter another card.  Thank god the offer was till good & I ended up getting the upgrade.

This has happened to us more than once.  I always tell my card when we travel, and we were in Hawaii and overnight while we were sleeping, someone in Georgia tried to use our card for gas so they shutdown the card. Everything from the hotel to rental car was on that card.  

As soon as they gave us a new card number, every transaction that was coming through on the old cancelled card they asked if it was legit.  Of course we had to scramble to let the hotel know, but we forgot the rental car was on the card.  So the credit card just sent me an email and text asking if they could just transfer the charges to the new card.

try calling the credit card company and ask them what’s best to do if you can’t get through to Royal.

3 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Link worked for me and I got my upgrade.  I was pretty quick to do it.  I imagine if you wait too long they will move on to the next best offer.  That is what I was worried about.

• Like 1