comparing MSC to other cruise lines

poorsusan

14 minutes ago, styles27 said:

On the US site it’s an ongoing thing. Just took this screen shot. 
50B0B5A1-3F33-4E88-8388-DA7E001C27D7.thumb.jpeg.a70f5d101d46396d3aad5fd7a0351f6c.jpeg

We are booked on the Merviglia out of NY this June. My son was going to try to come but without the kids sail free sale he didn't want to go. I'll have to go see if it's available now for our cruise.

Doesn't seem applicable to our cruise.

Edited by Illbcruzn4life
added info
  • Like 1

For cruises out of the UK there is a similar issue, fantastic solo rates and kids prices to go with the good basic fares,  then they throw in the premium package at reasonable costs on some trips.

This is attracting a lot of new to MSC and a lot of new to cruises as it is cheaper than the packaged beach holiday.

MSC claimed that the winter 23/23 UK season they were around 50% new to cruising/MSC

Our experience is any school holiday period the ships will be rammed with kids, not all families know how to behave in company.

Also a full ship leads to venue overload which get people moaning about no seating and long waits for service.
(We adjusted our timing to avoid the problems around the full ship) 

Outside those dates the capacities are lower and the ships are a much calmer place to be.

YC is very nice at a price.

if coming over to Europe for an MSC cruise check the school holidays and if possible try to avoid those dates  

• Like 2

I’m wondering if the school holiday schedule truly matters. My Facebook group is mostly 1) first time cruisers and 2) parents taking kids out of school to cruise…. What could go wrong???  

Edited by L1211
Gibberish

22 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

All different cruises.  

I was given the option for a full refund on all but the issue is I lose on travel insurance which I purchased within 10-14 days for the pre existing clause.

On my upcoming April Splendida cruise in Saudi Arabia.  I had a 14 night cruise booked, then they changed embarkation port but also added 3 extra nights. So big airfare changes with $100 charge fee per ticket.

Same cruise, they then added an extra night at the end so my 14 night is now an 18 night and I again incurred the $100 fee which they did not cover.

I could have cancelled but I have an African safari pre cruise. I could have cancelled with a $250 per ticket cancellation fee which is great for $15,000 worth of air tickets so $200 change fee was fine, until they did.it again.

I got a great deal now. 18 nights in Yacht club.

One issue with all the changes is it messes with the booking. Poor TA is subject to the bs. But I am a big client to them.

You might look into buying annual travel insurance, especially as you're a frequent traveler.  Save tons of money and you don't have to worry about the pre-existing issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flahagan said:

You might look into buying annual travel insurance, especially as you're a frequent traveler.  Save tons of money and you don't have to worry about the pre-existing issue.

I can't find it for the dollar value I need at a price that is a better value than I can buy individually.

I need a policy that will cover $40,000+ per vacation. I have 4 of those in the next year.

I also need a rider that covers Scuba, climbing and repelling, and off roading.

2 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I can't find it for the dollar value I need at a price that is a better value than I can buy individually.

I need a policy that will cover $40,000+ per vacation. I have 4 of those in the next year.

I also need a rider that covers Scuba, climbing and repelling, and off roading.

Oh, okay.  I confess I haven't heard of $40,000 trips.  Allianz works for me.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, L1211 said:

I’m wondering if the school holiday schedule truly matters. My Facebook group is mostly 1) first time cruisers and 2) parents taking kids out of school to cruise…. What could go wrong???  

If you're looking to avoid sailings full of kids, we've found September, the week following US Labor Day when schools are just going back in session, to be a good time. Unfortunately smack dab in the middle of hurricane season, but we've had nothing but beautiful weather when we've cruised during that month. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jules815 said:

If you're looking to avoid sailings full of kids, we've found September, the week following US Labor Day when schools are just going back in session, to be a good time. Unfortunately smack dab in the middle of hurricane season, but we've had nothing but beautiful weather when we've cruised during that month. 

The couple cruises we have taken in September have been great.  The itineraries took us to the ABC islands south of the typical hurricane alley.  Fortunately, those two years were no problem.  But I give myself pause when considering September cruises since Irma and Ian both hit us during Septembers.  Although last September we were on a Greek Isles cruise when Ian hit, so it was nice to not be in town to endure the storm and the power outage afterward. 

On 2/14/2023 at 8:52 AM, carlmm said:

There is much more live music in various venues all around the ship on MSC than on Celebrity and HAL. Also, life continues much later in the evening.

The mix of guests on average is more international and the whole style is a bit more Southern European. Well, MSC is an Italian cruise line. Eg. room stewards do not want to be your buddy, rather they do their job in the background. 

This has not been our experience.  HAL had a wonderful musical venues. 

Hands down the best we ever experienced on a cruise (MSC, X, DCL, RCI, beat them all).

• Like 1